Start by marking “Penguin in Love” as Want to Read:
Penguin in Love

Penguin in Love (Penguin)

Penguin unravels a mystery that leads him to discover the biggest adventure of his life!

One day, Penguin was looking for love,
But instead he found . . .
A mitten.

When Penguin finds a lost mitten on the ice one day, he wonders who it belongs to—after all, every mitten has a mate! Prolific author/illustrator Salina Yoon's spare text and bright, energetic illustrations bring
Published December 3rd 2013 by Walker Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Penguin in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Penguin in Love

Linda
Penguin is back with all his sweetness, looking for love, but this time finds a mitten. While looking for the owner, he meets another penguin, Bootsy and this time they carry on their adventures through helping others by knitting what is needed. (Rather funny to see birds with beak warmers!) When their yarn disappears, they follow the ‘stringy’ trail while meeting all kinds of animals, helping out too! I was a little confused since they lost their yarn, but began knitting again. In the story, ...more
Jocelin
Jan 30, 2014 Jocelin rated it really liked it
I LOVE THIS PENGUIN!!!!!!! He is so lovable and cute. These penguin books have a simple and sweet message that is so heart-warming to children as well as adults. I love this series; looking forward to many more.
Shoshana
Feb 08, 2014 Shoshana rated it it was amazing
PENGUINS! KNITTING! PENGUINS WHO KNIT!

This book is so damn cute, I'm willing to forgive Salina Yoon the WHOLE tree growing fiasco from two Penguin books ago. I want to sell this book to everyone ever to the point where I may sneak into other bookstores to do it.

SO. CUTE.
Traci Bold
Jan 06, 2016 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
Penguin has found love. In this sweet, endearing story about Penguin, he finds out about what love really is.

Written and illustrated by Salina Yoon. A must read picture book. Published by Walker Books and imprint of Bloomsbury.

@SalinaYoon @BIGPictureBooks #penguins #love
Henry Herz
Mar 12, 2014 Henry Herz rated it really liked it
A heartwarming story featuring adorable penguins. I loved the artwork, as well as the humor of puffins wearing snout cozies.
Elaine Pelton
Feb 02, 2014 Elaine Pelton rated it it was ok
Illustrations are adorable, but the narrative is quite confusing and disjointed. And what was up with the whole cosy knitting thing?
Briana
Feb 04, 2014 Briana rated it it was ok
This story was so confusing to me. I couldn't follow along, and I had no idea what was happening.
Fellshot
Nov 28, 2016 Fellshot rated it it was amazing
The kiddo loved Penguin's Big Adventure, so I got this one as well. It's about the machinations of some matchmaking puffins trying to get Penguin and Bootsy together.

The story is cute and about Penguin and Bootsy figuring out that they like each other's company and that they have things in common. I think that's a great place to start introducing the big complicated thing that love is to a little kid. I like that the ending is very open and that it talks about love as something that continues to
Angie
Sep 30, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it
Very sweet story and the pictures are beautiful
Cathy Ballou Mealey
Feb 17, 2014 Cathy Ballou Mealey rated it really liked it
The adventures of penguins and puffins will warm your heart in this cozy, kooky story about a perfect pair of thoughtful friends. Fans of Yoon’s Penguin series (Penguin and Pinecone, Penguin on Vacation) will cheer with delight to read her newest yarn, spinning Penguin’s tale across oceans, ice floes and mountain tops.

When Penguin isn’t knitting, he is usually discovering curious objects and exploring faraway lands. In this adventure, he finds a lost mitten on the ice, but cannot find its owner.
Rachel
Jan 27, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it
Opening Moves
“Recently, there was a big snowstorm on the East Coast! Does anyone know how much snow they got? [Children respond] Well, today we are going to read a book about a place that has even more snow! [Shows cover of book] This book is called Penguin in Love. Can anyone tell me where penguins are from? [Children respond] Right! They are from Antarctica! How cold do you think it is in Antarctica? [Children respond]. Yes, very cold! What do you notice about what the penguin is wearing on th
Kayla
Jan 27, 2014 Kayla rated it it was ok
We typically enjoy Salina Yoon's Penguin books, but this one falls flat for several reasons. First of all, I'm not a huge proponent of romantic love in children's books. I know, I know, this book is called Penguin in Love, and I chose to read it anyway. I'll give you that. But sometimes the theme can be somewhat cute, and as I said before, we've become fans of this particular Penguin, and thus felt it necessary to follow his journey. The bigger problem with this story is that it's overly ...more
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
Originally published on my blog, Nine Pages.

I loved Penguin and Pinecone. I was a little bit less enthused about this sequel, possibly because it ditched the message of friendship in favor of a romantic storyline that really is not ideal for the audience to which this picture book claims to cater (which, yes, I recognize many of the films for kids of this same age do, but Disney gets something of a buy for having started with fairy tale retellings). Also, here the paraphernalia of knitting is a
Margie
Dec 15, 2013 Margie rated it it was amazing
Penguin on Vacation and Penguin in Love written and illustrated by the very talented Salina Yoon are charming with a capital C. You can't help but fall in love with Penguin and his friends as they enjoy each other's company. All of these books are first and foremost to be enjoyed but think of the wonderful conversations you can have about friendship. Share them with as many people as you can, repeatedly with joy.

My full review: http://librariansquest.blogspot.com/2...
The Styling Librarian
Penguin in Love by Salina Yoon – Well. She did it again, Salina wrote about penguin, one of my favorite book characters. I loved seeing many of my students jumping up and down for joy when I unpacked this new book arrival and held it up to a class. What fun! Penguin in Love brings back a favorite thing, knitting, but this time how the yarn separates and then weaves together ”love birds” is gorgeous. Celebrating love and all that it is… cannot wait to share this quite SOON with classes. Know that ...more
Oscar
Jan 29, 2014 Oscar rated it really liked it
I felt like this entry was not as strong as others in Salina Yoon's "Penguin" series. The story was cute but a little more directionless (... maybe?) than Penguin and Pinecone and Penguin on Vacation.

Still, charming art. Also penguins! Hard to dislike.
Janice
Mar 05, 2014 Janice rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
for 7 or 8 year old

This is a picture book, but it is about a penguin looking for love – with capital letters. I could see looking for friendship, but, at this age, let’s not force love on young children. They are not mini-adults.

Children are forced to be older, act older, dress older. Let’s let them wait on some of the pressure. Let’s not tell them they should be looking for love as toddlers.

The illustrations are well done. The story could have been cute if it had focused on friendship.
Melissa
Jan 02, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Penguin in Love is the latest of Selina Yoon's Penguin stories. Here, Penguin finds a mitten and goes on a mission to find its mate, leading him on a knitting adventure with his penguin friend (girlfriend?), Bootsy. Adorable as always with a good message of friendship and love and helping others, this was another winner. The illustrations really make the book, adding details to the story not expressed in word.
Juliana Lee
Penguin found a mitten without a mate so he knit another one. Just then two puffins, one with a bill cozy and one without, saw Penguin and asked him for another bill cozy. Penguin felt warm and cozy helping them out and he decided to make cozies for all his friends. Meanwhile the puffins hatched a plan to find Penguin a mate of his own... Bootsy who also loved knitting cozies for her friends. Through many adventures, and the help of two puffins, Penguin and Bootsy finally found love.
Erin
Jul 05, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: toddler-library
"One day, Penguin was looking for love. Instead, he found...a mitten."

This book was not what I expected. I can understand why some people would say the story is a little disjointed, but I just find it unique. But it does make sense: a shared affinity for knitting brings two penguins together. Through their adventure in finding their missing yarn, they fall in love. Not hard to follow in my opinion.
Ina
Feb 24, 2014 Ina rated it really liked it
Two Penguins, who both knit are brought together by their common passion. Mittens, beak cozies, and a pair of puffins all work together to help a pair of penguins fall in love. My story time audience all said, "Ahhhh" at the end. Wonderfully illustrated, this is a fun romp into a love story…that includes knitting.
Alice
Jan 24, 2014 Alice rated it liked it
Pretty Cute. I liked it and almost gave it a 4 star, but I was confused. Penguins name is Penguin but the other Penguins name is Bootsy? Throw in some puffins and I got a little confused...but hey, I think I love Knitting Penguins. I am in a crochet Club so I understand the crocheting until your wrists hurt..not sure I could crochet something or a whale...but...I can dig it!
Kimberly [Come Hither Books]
Adorable illustrations, and a cute story, especially in the first half. Unfortunately, the story drags out for too long, and the cute concept that worked for the first half turns into a dull, slow ending that just doesn't want to end. I still think the illustrations are adorable though, and fit the story well, it just should be about 6 pages shorter.
Bethany Boutin
Feb 05, 2014 Bethany Boutin rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Illustrated with clever captions and cute illustrations, the adorable misadventures of Penguin and friends continue in this story about finding a Valentine. The matchmaking efforts of two mischievous puffins create a quick relationship between Penguin and Bootsy that does not develop into believable love, but the rest of the story is delightful enough amusement to overlook this weakness.
Justin
Jan 16, 2014 Justin added it
This was an unexpected pleasure: it was a roller-coaster of emotion, filled with so much symbolism. For example, the protagonist's name is Penguin because he literally IS a penguin - so symbolic.
I cannot recommend this book enough; I can't even rate it because anything below 100 stars would be too low.
By the end of this masterpiece you too will feel like a "Penguin in Love."
Jen
May 18, 2016 Jen rated it did not like it
This book left me and my son befuddled. I ended up apologizing to him when it was over. What was happening? Who's mitten was this? Why was a whale wearing earmuffs? Did someone steal the yarn? Did the whale eat it? Why was that other penguin so lonely?
Rosa
Dec 29, 2013 Rosa rated it it was amazing
This is a cheat book to finish my goal for 2013. And I will address it and not shy away from the fact that I'm a horrible cheater, but I have OCD self-accomplishment syndrome. But I don't want to feel guilty.

About the actual book, it was adorable and delicious and penguins fell in love <3
Amanda
Jan 30, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it
A cute penguin who knits cozies for friends is like a perfect love story in itself, in my opinion. My new reader did pretty well trying to read this herself while I enjoyed the adorable illustrations and the fun story. Definitely good as a read aloud and a Valentine's day book.
Marie
Jul 06, 2016 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really cute story about two penguins that meet, fall in love, get separated, and make their way back to each other. A tad bit lengthy for a board book, however. A bit more text-heavy than your typical fiction board book.
Samantha
Penguin and Bootsy are soulmates, but it takes their friends and a lot of yarn to bring them together.

I like the picture reading at play here. Readers are clued into what the puffins stole from each of the penguins if they carefully study the pictures before turning the pages. PreK-2.
  • Duck & Goose Go to the Beach
  • If You Were a Penguin
  • Herman and Rosie
  • Oliver
  • The Boy and the Airplane
Salina Yoon is an award-winning author/illustrator of over 150 books for children, including Penguin and Pinecone, Penguin on Vacation, Penguin in Love, Penguin and Pumpkin, Penguin's Big Adventure, Found, and Stormy Night.

Her latest book, Be a Friend, was a Winter 2015-2016 Kids' Indie Next Pick. Among her other awards are a Scholastic Teachers Top 10 Picture Book for Penguin's Big Adventure, an
More about Salina Yoon...

Penguin (9 books)
  • Penguin and Pinecone
  • Penguin on Vacation
  • Penguin Gets Dressed!
  • Penguin Gets Ready for Bed!
  • Penguin Goes to the Farm!
  • Penguin and Pumpkin