The Christmas Angel

The Christmas Angel

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  27 reviews
“I lingered over the pages and the years as this special Christmas Angel was handed down from one generation to the next. This is a story that will linger in your mind and in your heart.” --Debbie Macomber, #1 New York Times bestselling author

A charming, heart-warming Christmas tale, sure to delightfans of Debbie Macomber and Richard Paul Evans, about the power of family,...more
Published November 19th 2013 by Thomas Dunne Books

Linda
A wonderful Christmas story that follows a family through 100 years and the carved angel that symbolizes Christmas and happiness to them. The story starts when a young man from Wales goes to London to see a play. He falls completely in love with a woman there and carves her an angel for the top of "their" Christmas tree. Eventually that angel travels to America and then many years later back to Wales. The family stories that relate to the beloved angel are sweet and sometimes sad but always amaz...more
Marcie
Get ready for the warm and fuzzies. The Christmas Angel by Jane Maas is an
incredible, heartwarming book that will soon become one of your holiday favorites. It follows a hand-carved Christmas Angel from generation to generation in the Thomas family. Through good times and bad, through heartache and triumph.

I loved how the story is told through journal entries, letters, flash backs, and narrative. It made if feel real as if I were reading someone's diary. I experienced so many emotions while rea...more
Celeste_pewter
Two-second recap: The Christmas Angel is the perfect book for the holiday season. It's a heartwarming, generational tale about love, life and the coincidences that bring people together.

***

Full review:

When the lovely Angie at St. Martin's Press asked me if I wanted to read The Christmas Angel and participate in the blog tour/cookie exchange, I immediately said yes.

Because as it happens, I am a huge sucker for all things Christmas. Every year, I'm totally the person who has the house decorated...more
Christine
THE CHRISTMAS ANGEL is a great book to read during the holidays. It was filled with happiness, heartwarming moments, it makes you cry during sad and happy times. It's just a feel good type of book.

The first chapter is about a man named Owen Thomas and how he fell in love with an actress and made her a beautiful angel to go atop their Christmas tree. When it doesn't work out between the two, he moves to America, falls in love and marries. He gives his new wife the Christmas Angel to put on their...more
Emmy Neal
The novel is broken into six parts, six mini-stories, so the fact that they weren’t particularly cohesive didn’t bother me. They’re all sweet and romantic and have a strong focus on family. Even going into Owen’s story–the very first one, naturally–knowing it would break his heart, I couldn’t help but like Owen and Jessica together.

illustrationsI don’t normally read inspirational novels (also known as faith-based), but I love Christmas and family sagas and when a friend asked if I wanted to part...more
Maryellen
When in 1875 Owen Thomas, a poor Welsh coal miner, met Jessica Lavery, an actress from London, for him, it was love at first sight. As a show of Owen's great love, he made a beautiful wooden angel with lavender eyes to match Jessica's. An angel that would grace the top of their Christmas tree, a tree that family tradition would have stand proudly outdoors where it could look up to the heavens.

Some things are simply not meant to be.

Owen emigrated to America and with him he brought the beautiful w...more
Diane A Brown
A Comfort to Generations

Unique story content that spans a hundred years of generations, from Wales to the United States, England and Wales yet again. Told through actual letters and memories of those who lives the seasons of their lives with “The Christmas Angel” watching over them.

I enjoyed the book and the overall combined story is wonderful in content. However it felt disjointed and the flow was not smooth from one generation to another. Though as mini stories they were intriguing.

I loved the...more
Anna Mcgrath
Great Holiday read. I loved that the story covered a span from 1875 to 1990. The Christmas Angel is a Christmas Ornament that is passed down from generation to generation. Maas through her characters, weaves themes of faith, character and love. And I loved how she brought the story around and tied the beginning to the end.
Would Recommend.
Christy
First off I won this book from Goodreads. Thanks!

This is a magical book. You meet Owen who is a coal miner in London. He goes to watch a show. He see's the lovely lavendar color eyes of Jessica. He tells her he loves her as soon as he meets her.

Is love at first sight really true? If you read this book it will move you. You get to know the family tradiions that get passed on from family to family. Still what a awesome novel!

Thanks again Goodreads.
Teri
This was a cute book & a very quick read. I enjoyed it.
Ann
A wonderful story about how a small angel ornament travels through the generations of a family. A story of love, adventure, seeking purpose, finding grace, and living in the miracles.
Maria Ulery
The Christmas Angel is a short read about generations and traditions passed down. It took me some time to get into it as its a bit different to read and that it takes place in the late 1800's and then takes you into present day. I can see how they would be able to make a great movie out of this book.

4 * * * *
Charlene
I wanted to read this before Christmas, but I did not have the book then.

It was a nice read.
Owen carves a wooden Christmas angel for the woman he loves, and the story follows that special angel through the generations of his family. It's a sweet tale of traditions.
Debbie
It was a beautiful read. I really enjoyed how family was important. How family tradition kept going through the years, one child after another. And the love of each individual. All the way to the end. The love that happened so fast. I will read this book again and again. What a great read.
Glenna
Received this book for Christmas. A sweet, short Christmas story. I'll probably pull it out again next year and read it again.
Virginia Hafer
I won this book from Goodreads. It is a story of family love and Christmas traditions that lasts through the generations. A feel good book.
Janet Noonan
Couldn't finish. Was dull and didn't relate to characters
Alice
Interesting Christmas story. Some wandering, but all in all, a heartwarming story.
Jazz
Just started reading this book this evening. On page 16. It's a incurable romantic story of a man and what he does for the woman he loves.

finished this book and places it on the shelf with my other Christmas favourites.
Amber Hyde
This was a heart warming, fast paced, lovely story about a family's traditions through generations. I don't want to spoil this book, but I have to say that I love how the author intertwined the story. It leaves you wanting more!
Cathy
"Christmas is truly a season of magic and miracles, of birth and rebirth. It is a time to rejoice because we know that although night comes, we will never again be in darkness."
Janet
Lovely Christmas story of a family's Christmas angel being passed down. I enjoyed following it through time and how the family changed.
Leah Shepherd
Enjoyed reading the history of The Christmas Angle. It reminded me of my own family traditions as I was reading
Penelope
I won this book on Goodreads - thank you! It was a quick read, pleasant but nothing special.
Dawn
Cute little read...jut perfect for the Christmas season!
Brenda
Won this through a Goodreads giveaway. It was a moving story ans well written.
Kelly Brower
heartwarming story. sure to be a classic.
Trisha
What a beautiful story, heartfelt and I loved it!
  • A Simple Christmas Wish
  • A Christmas Hope (Christmas Stories, #11)
  • Secret Santa
  • Jingle Bell Romance
  • Christmas at Harmony Hill: A Shaker Story
  • Christmas Keepsakes: The Christmas Shoes & The Christmas Blessing
  • Candlelight Christmas
  • The Christmas Tin
  • A Nantucket Christmas
  • Christmas in Snowflake Canyon (Hope's Crossing, #6)
  • The Trouble with Christmas (Christmas, Colorado, #1)
  • Christmas on Main Street
  • Coming Home for Christmas
  • Uncorked
  • A Stubborn Sweetness and Other Stories for the Christmas Season
  • The Sugar Cookie Sweetheart Swap
  • The Christmas Cookie Collection
  • Merry Ex-Mas (Life in Icicle Falls, #2)
Mad Women: The Other Side of Life on Madison Avenue in the '60s and Beyond Mad Women Christmas in Wales: A Homecoming Adventures of an Advertising Woman Mad Women: The Other Side of Life on Madison Avenue in the 1960s and Beyond