Start by marking “Christmas in Cornwall: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Christmas in Cornwall: A Novel

Christmas in Cornwall: A Novel

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  36 reviews
"We're all pilgrims,' he said thoughtfully. "One way or another, aren't we? Always searching for something."

Twelfth night - time to put away the Christmas angel. A new year dawns, and everything seems to be falling into place for Dossie. Her son Clem and his adorable five-year-old son Jakey have moved to Cornwall to be closer to her. She runs her own successful catering bu
Published October 15th 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas in Cornwall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas in Cornwall

Carolyn Hill
Scanning the new book shelves at the library, I was attracted by the seasonal theme - why not get in the Christmas mood? - and the author. I enjoy Marcia Willett's writing when I'm in a cozy-cottage-in-Cornwall type of mood. Which is often, as those who know this inveterate Anglophile will attest. This is not really a Christmas book, though it was obviously marketed as such. It actually begins at Epiphany and ends at Advent, so rather misses Christmas itself. So much for getting in the mood. Thi ...more
Cindy
I love Marcia Willett. To me, she is sort of the natural heir to Rosamunde Pilcher, whose books I also love.

Willett's stories are comfortably written, if you know what I mean. There is a gentleness, insightfulness, thoughtfulness to her writing.

Her characters are easy to get to know and to care about, and though the story is not particularly fast-paced, I had no trouble wanting to keep the pages turning to find out what happens in their lives.

The are some books that are like pleasant places that
Reina Williams

Willett's writing is poetical and has a leisurely pace I like, so I'll be seeking out other books by her. But this one I couldn't engage with--the present tense with third person was odd...I could get past that, but the narration went into too many characters' heads. It was way off for me. I don't mind omniscient third person, but I think that works better not being in so many characters' heads. This was like having deep point of view with every character in the book. I hope Willett's other boo
Linda
This is not truly a book about or around Christmas as the beginning is a few pages of putting away Christmas and the ending is a few pages of bringing out Christmas again the next year but it is a story of love, loss and sacrifice.

A convent in Cornwall has fallen on hard times. The nuns are elderly and frail and need a great deal of help. Clem, his 5 year old son, Jakey, Clem's mother, Dossie, her parents, Mo and Pa and Janna are there to help. Clem is a widow, Janna is a lost soul who is not su
Omi
The coziness of England,the sweetness of the little boy and the nuns made it likable. Infact, I liked this book a lot until about half through. After that it was kinda like unh. Swearing, an affair, an abrupt ending...not my favorite.
Virginia Campbell

"Christmas in Cornwall", from author Marcia Willett, is a touching, surprising, and ultimately rewarding holiday tale set in the picturesque English countryside. Clem never dreamed he'd be raising his small son, Jakey, on his own. His wife's unexpected death left Clem struggling to cope, and he makes the decision to give up life as he knows it and move back to Cornwall to be near his own mother, Dossie. Clem and Jakey find happiness in their new friendship with the nuns of the local convent, and
Anna
Picked up at the library at random, I thought it would be a great book to read to get some Christmas spirit, but it wasn't about Christmas at all. The title is VERY misleading...Still good story, choked me up a bit here and there.
Diana
Sweet book, but slow. I just couldn't get into it. It didn't grab my attention.
Michael Ritchie
Not quite a romance--even though there are characters who are in love (or almost in love)--and not quite a religious novel--despite being centered on a small group of nuns who may be about to lose their convent. It isn't even really a Christmas story; it begins right after Christmas one year, and ends just before Christmas of the next year. Just a cozy story of people trying to be good, and trying to find their path in life. Nice change of pace for a holiday book, but I'm not sure I'd be the aud ...more
Mary J
Nice to get back to reading after being sick. This was the book to welcome me back. I enjoyed the story and the characters. I felt satisfied with the ending but Ms. Willett left me with a feeling of hope that there is a sequel. There were some loose ends giving me the impression there maybe a sequel. Don't be fooled by the title, the story covers a whole year in the lives of the characters and the location of the story. Enjoy!
Diane Davis
Just a wonderful book... Marcia Willett is rich in her discriptions... Set in Cornwall, England I feel like I am right there. I can feel the weather she is describing and see the wild ocean and the towering cliffs.... Her charachters are great... I feel like I personally know Pa and Mo and Jakey and his Gramma Dossie and Sister Nichola and Sister Emily and Janna who is trying to find her niche.. Another Great Book by Marcia Willett...
Not my favorite Marcia Willett by far. It took me a long time to get invested in both the story and the characters and I felt there were some plot lines that were not completely thought out. The "so called" threat to the convent seemed like it was happening in a different novel and did not make sense to me in this story.

But I will say, for a light holiday read, it was good enough.
Sonia Gensler
The usual sort of domestic drama from WIllett, but with a more spiritual focus due to the religious community featured in the story. I wish there'd been more about Christmas, and that we'd had a bit more resolution at the end. However, I think we'll be seeing these characters again, and I look forward to visiting with them!
Anita Johnson
This is the first book by Marcia Willett that I have read and she reminds me of Rosemund Pilcher whose novels I loved. Marcia literally paints beautiful pictures with words but the story moves annoyingly slowly. I may try another book by this author and give her a second chance.
Debra
A very well written book, but it had little to do with Christmas except the events unfold over a year starting and ending with Christmas. A lovely story of relationships and families, some we are born into and others we acquire thru faith journeys.
Linda
Great read for Christmas time! Heartwarming, without being too sappy. Some spiritual wisdom infused into the book, mainly through Sister Emily, and Father Pascal.

I would love to read more books by this author.
MaryAnn
This is more than Christmas--it's a whole year! Not at all what I expected, but I enjoyed it just the same. A sweet story about family and friends, with lots of religious wisdom sprinkled throughout.
Linda K
Not one of my favorite Willett books as it is rather predictable.
A very sweet story, although the book takes place throughout the year and not only at Christmas.
Peg
Only my 2nd Willett novel but won't be my last. I thoroughly enjoy her style and character descriptions. Loved the locale, could see the countryside.
Helen Billington
Not really my sort of book. The audiobook was part of Audible's advent calendar of deals. Slow, gentle and a break from my normal commuting listening.
Kathy
Enjoyed this. It is a gentle read, yet not sappy as the cover would suggest. A warm and comfortable read with characters you care about.
I.

family story, cornwall, Marcia Willett: check ......written in present tense yuk!!! Just can't read fiction written that way. Oh well
Charlotte Wallace
I really enjoyed this book. I've never read her but now I seen she has been around awhile so I'm anxious to read more.
Carol
Timely read the week of Christmas.
Monica Johnson
It just didn't captivate. With so many Christmas tales to read, I had to put it down after the first 4 chapters.
Janet Meissner
This was recommended in the newspaper but turned out to be a big disappointment. Way too smaltzy.
Mary Hauer
Something a little different from Willett but still written with her sensitivity about people
Charlie Trafford
Nice book, easy read, good characters.
Kassie
Took a while to get into this, but after completing it, I enjoyed the story...
Delisa

This book was good, but not great. There were too many loose ends.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Choir of Angels: Shirley, Goodness and Mercy\Those Christmas Angels\Where Angels Go
  • With Your Crooked Heart
  • Fish, Blood and Bone
  • When the Snow Falls
  • A Holiday to Remember
  • Merry Humbug Christmas: Two Tales of Holiday Romance
  • In Fidelity
  • Together for Christmas (Kismet, Michigan, #3)
  • A Frontier Christmas (Christmas, #4)
  • A Prairie Christmas Collection
  • Losing Gemma
  • The Translator
  • The Nine Lives of Christmas
  • A Plain & Fancy Christmas
Marcia Willett began her career as a novelist when she was fifty years old. Since that first novel Marcia has written twenty more under her own name as well as a number of short stories. She has also written four books under the pseudonym "Willa Marsh", and is published in more than sixteen countries.

Marcia Willett's early life was devoted to the ballet, but her dreams of becoming a ballerina end
More about Marcia Willett...
A Week in Winter A Summer in the Country The Children's Hour The Summer House The Birdcage: A Novel