Start by marking “One Big Happy Family: Heartwarming Stories of Animals Caring for One Another” as Want to Read:
One Big Happy Family: Heartwarming Stories of Animals Caring for One Another

One Big Happy Family: Heartwarming Stories of Animals Caring for One Another

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Inspiring, True Tales of Interspecies Adoption One Big Happy Family tells the heartwarming stories of a different kind of animal rescue: amazing animals who have reached out to save the lives ofnewborns from other species and raise them as their own. Each story features wonderful photos of these cute animals, whether it’s of the border collie and his piglets, the cat and h ...more
Published October 1st 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about One Big Happy Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Big Happy Family

Peacegal
The nurturing natures of animals, both male and female, are on adorable display in this book. Family examines the surprisingly common practice of animals adopting babies not of their own species. In some cases, the baby animals are even a natural prey species of the animal adopting them, but apparently these creatures' mothering hormones won over nature.

Once again we have gentle proof that animals are not a bunch of automatons, but display many behaviors that are very much like our own.

Unfortun
Videoclimber(AKA)MTsLilSis
This one is full of heartwarming stories accompanied by pictures. A cat adopts a squirrel baby. A dog adopts a cougar cub. Many of the animals would have been enemies but somehow they find a way to take care of each other. The book would be worth getting for the pictures alone, but the stories are so sweet that they need to be read. A perfect choice for animal lovers everywhere.
Foxglow
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. that is the core of this book. Animals, male and female, raising young not of their species. In some cases prey raising predators and vice versa. Too cute!
Christine
Another adorable book about animals taking care of other (as in other species) animals. The picture were even more adorable than the stories. I couldn't give it five stars because the stories were just too short.
Malia
It gets better and better. Can't miss with M-ooz and ahhz!
But its a mystery, to me, WHY are most odd relationships in England or United Kingdom?
Susan
This is a seriously cute story about interspecies friendship and parenting. It's a quick read. The pictures are almost unbearably cute.
Louise  Dunlap
After a stressful week at work, I found this gem at my public library. While it's written for children, adults will also find it enjoyable.
Tina Janes
Great stories about the power of love among God's creatures!
Kellie
This is a warm and fuzzy book. If you're an animal lover, you will enjoy the pictures of the adorable animals, and their stories. My favorites were the pairings with the dogs, although all of them will warm your heart. :) Animals have an amazing ability to adapt and nurture and are much more accepting of other species than most humans are.
Nora
It is very interesting to note that the behavior of animals changes once they (1) have long-term exposure to humans & (2) are not in a survival mode. Domesticated animals of many different types are documented in this book dedicated to interspecies adoptions with surrogate animal parents showing mercy and kindness to orphaned babies of other species . Not anthropomorphism, but evolution?
Kerrikoala
Warm and fuzzy stories! Adorable pictures! A cute, quick read. I was surprised by the number of nurturing male animals in this book. The word "family" in this book seemed more accurate than the word "friendship" in a similar book that I've read. I wish the stories here were a little longer, but overall I enjoyed this one.
Tracey
this is the cutest book i have ever read
Stephanie Jewett
Sweet little stories to warm your heart. My biggest beef was that they (the stories) are all so short- only a couple of paragraphs. My smaller beef was that the author kept using the word "breed" when she meant "species". The two terms really aren't interchangeable. Cute book, though.
Cindy Williams
The photos were absolutely adorable. I was disappointed with the text. It sounded like she just edited old newspaper/magazine articles. Many stories referred to pairings that happened 5+ years ago, but kind of left you hanging about how the story ended.
Emily
Okay this book is for when you need to look at happy pictures of animals and feel good. And it delivers, just good light-hearted stories.
Bethany Ransom
A fun book with many heartwarming stories of animals of different species caring for one another. Every story has a photo that will make your heart melt. The stories are short and sweet.
Saleena Davidson
One Big Happy Family is a quick read, full of short stories of animals adopting little ones from various species....complete with pictures....lots of "awww" moments =)
Wendy
Adorable stories of cross species cuddling. Could have used more photos and less back story, no matter how superficial that makes me!
Tim Smerken
Lots of wonderful full color photos of many different types of animals. An easy and fun read.
Melissa Wehunt
Cute pics, but I've seen most of them either online or in other books.
Mumbler
Mumbler marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Lora
Lora marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Shajara
Shajara marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Janice CA
Janice CA marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Suzi
Suzi marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Lisa Rogak is the New York Times bestselling author of over 40 books on a wide variety of topics, from writers and their cats to sabbaticals to cemeteries in New England.
Through the years, in addition to writing books on an almost-schizophrenic range of topics, she has published newsletters and books, started a greeting card company for dogs and cats, bought and sold vintage funeral equipment, and
More about Lisa Rogak...
Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King The dogs of war Angry Optimist: The Life and Times of Jon Stewart A Boy Named Shel: The Life and Times of Shel Silverstein And Nothing But the Truthiness: The Rise (and Further Rise) of Stephen Colbert