Start by marking “One Big Happy Family: Heartwarming Stories of Animals Caring for One Another” as Want to Read:
One Big Happy Family: Heartwarming Stories of Animals Caring for One Another

One Big Happy Family: Heartwarming Stories of Animals Caring for One Another

Inspiring, True Tales of Interspecies Adoption
One Big Happy Family tells the heartwarming stories of a different kind of animal rescue: amazing animals who have reached out to save the lives of newborns from other species and raise them as their own. Each story features wonderful photos of these cute animals, whether it's of the border collie and his piglets, the cat and
Published October 1st 2013 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about One Big Happy Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Big Happy Family

Peacegal
Nov 01, 2013 Peacegal rated it liked it
The nurturing natures of animals, both male and female, are on adorable display in this book. Family examines the surprisingly common practice of animals adopting babies not of their own species. In some cases, the baby animals are even a natural prey species of the animal adopting them, but apparently these creatures' mothering hormones won over nature.

Once again we have gentle proof that animals are not a bunch of automatons, but display many behaviors that are very much like our own.

Unfortun
C.
May 17, 2017 C. rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, animals
A cute coffee table read. This is a book that you can read a little at a time. Lots of cute animal pics.
Robbie Sellars
Lovely little stories about animals adopting/nursing animals of different species. Beautiful photos. A very quick read.
Mars Smith
May 17, 2016 Mars Smith rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic book. It isn't very long, but it covers multiple different tales of interspecies adoption. Here is a brief overview of the table of contents, so, you get a good idea on what stories it covers. *Note that there are many other stories along with these.

The Greyhound and her fawn, her fox kits, her bunnies,and...
The Hen and her ducklings
The Springer Spaniel and her lambs
The hen and her falcon chick
The Border Collie and his Vietnamese Pot-Bellied Piglets
The Owl and her gosling
The
Allison Miller
May 30, 2015 Allison Miller rated it really liked it
Shelves: dog-books
Loved all the stories in this book and I wasn't surprised that a disproportionate amount of them involved dogs nurturing the animals of another species. I think that could be because of what they have learned from being with humans so much, as well as the fact that I personally think that dogs have big enormous hearts. (I'm somewhat biased of course, because of my wonderful dog Maggie)
Kellie
This is a warm and fuzzy book. If you're an animal lover, you will enjoy the pictures of the adorable animals, and their stories. My favorites were the pairings with the dogs, although all of them will warm your heart. :) Animals have an amazing ability to adapt and nurture and are much more accepting of other species than most humans are.
Kerrikoala
Nov 11, 2013 Kerrikoala rated it really liked it
Warm and fuzzy stories! Adorable pictures! A cute, quick read. I was surprised by the number of nurturing male animals in this book. The word "family" in this book seemed more accurate than the word "friendship" in a similar book that I've read. I wish the stories here were a little longer, but overall I enjoyed this one.
Nora
Nov 30, 2013 Nora rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
It is very interesting to note that the behavior of animals changes once they (1) have long-term exposure to humans & (2) are not in a survival mode. Domesticated animals of many different types are documented in this book dedicated to interspecies adoptions with surrogate animal parents showing mercy and kindness to orphaned babies of other species . Not anthropomorphism, but evolution?
Videoclimber(AKA)MTsLilSis
Jan 31, 2014 Videoclimber(AKA)MTsLilSis rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun-read, animals, adopted
This one is full of heartwarming stories accompanied by pictures. A cat adopts a squirrel baby. A dog adopts a cougar cub. Many of the animals would have been enemies but somehow they find a way to take care of each other. The book would be worth getting for the pictures alone, but the stories are so sweet that they need to be read. A perfect choice for animal lovers everywhere.
Katy
Apr 07, 2016 Katy rated it liked it
I have a weakness for these kind of stories so I was really excited to read this book. I wish the stories had been longer, and I did notice one mistake in the writing. Overall, however, it was a generally cute book.
Foxglow
Feb 09, 2014 Foxglow rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. that is the core of this book. Animals, male and female, raising young not of their species. In some cases prey raising predators and vice versa. Too cute!
Christine
Mar 18, 2015 Christine rated it really liked it
Another adorable book about animals taking care of other (as in other species) animals. The picture were even more adorable than the stories. I couldn't give it five stars because the stories were just too short.
Cindy Williams
Nov 04, 2013 Cindy Williams rated it liked it
The photos were absolutely adorable. I was disappointed with the text. It sounded like she just edited old newspaper/magazine articles. Many stories referred to pairings that happened 5+ years ago, but kind of left you hanging about how the story ended.
Stephanie Jewett
Nov 30, 2013 Stephanie Jewett rated it really liked it
Sweet little stories to warm your heart. My biggest beef was that they (the stories) are all so short- only a couple of paragraphs. My smaller beef was that the author kept using the word "breed" when she meant "species". The two terms really aren't interchangeable. Cute book, though.
Genie McFate
After a stressful week at work, I found this gem at my public library. While it's written for children, adults will also find it enjoyable.
Bethany Ransom
Oct 10, 2013 Bethany Ransom rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, non-fiction
A fun book with many heartwarming stories of animals of different species caring for one another. Every story has a photo that will make your heart melt. The stories are short and sweet.
Melissa Wehunt
Nov 26, 2013 Melissa Wehunt rated it really liked it
Cute pics, but I've seen most of them either online or in other books.
Malia
Jan 08, 2015 Malia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
It gets better and better. Can't miss with M-ooz and ahhz!
But its a mystery, to me, WHY are most odd relationships in England or United Kingdom?
Susan
Feb 05, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing
This is a seriously cute story about interspecies friendship and parenting. It's a quick read. The pictures are almost unbearably cute.
Wendy
Sep 26, 2013 Wendy rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fic
Adorable stories of cross species cuddling. Could have used more photos and less back story, no matter how superficial that makes me!
Saleena Davidson
Apr 25, 2014 Saleena Davidson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One Big Happy Family is a quick read, full of short stories of animals adopting little ones from various species....complete with pictures....lots of "awww" moments =)
Moorhead Public Library
Sep 15, 2015 Moorhead Public Library rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
If tigers playing with an orangutan aren't enough to get you to take this book, then open it up and try not to smile. you'll get the warm-and-fuzzies instantly.

Reviewed by: Meg
Tim Smerken
Oct 26, 2013 Tim Smerken rated it really liked it
Lots of wonderful full color photos of many different types of animals. An easy and fun read.
Emily
Dec 30, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Okay this book is for when you need to look at happy pictures of animals and feel good. And it delivers, just good light-hearted stories.
Tracey
Jan 14, 2014 Tracey rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
this is the cutest book i have ever read
Heather Gildner
Heather Gildner rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Amber S
Amber S rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2017
Elaine7717
Elaine7717 rated it liked it
May 19, 2014
Milissa Schmantowsky
Milissa Schmantowsky rated it really liked it
May 01, 2014
Manybooks2read
Manybooks2read rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lisa Rogak is the New York Times bestselling author of over 40 books on a wide variety of topics, from writers and their cats to sabbaticals to cemeteries in New England.
Through the years, in addition to writing books on an almost-schizophrenic range of topics, she has published newsletters and books, started a greeting card company for dogs and cats, bought and sold vintage funeral equipment, and
More about Lisa Rogak...