Start by marking “It Doesn't Have to Be That Way: How to Divorce Without Destroying Your Family or Bankrupting Yourself” as Want to Read:

Published October 1st 2013 by St. Martin's Press (first published September 17th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about It Doesn't Have to Be That Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Doesn't Have to Be That Way

رابعة الدلالي
I don't know how did this book reach my library , but I'm really thankful for this coincidence ... It came just on time to help me realize the wisdom in ending a relationship and starting over without the burden of memories ...

Well, it's about divorce but we can read it with the eyes of a young lady looking for a fresh beginning...

Paula
Oct 31, 2013 Paula rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book from the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway Program. Thank you author/publisher for the opportunity to read and review your new book.

It Doesn't Have to Be That Way: How to Divorce Without Destroying Your Family or Bankrupting Yourself is written by Los Angeles Family Law Attorney Laura Wasser. She has been practicing in the field for 20 years and represents some celebrity clientele. I was looking for a little celebrity dirt but this book is not that. It is a very comprehensive b
William
Jun 15, 2013 William rated it really liked it
I made the mistake of first reading this as a straight narrative, something that proved frustrating. Wasser repeats herself constantly, but by the time you get into the details of what it takes to divorce, you understand that she's reminding you, as a good lawyer should: "The court of last resort is not for sissies." So pay attention.

This is an excellent guide for anyone considering divorce; or, more broadly, for anyone looking to hash out the details of a custody agreement. As Wasser says of on
Princess
Dec 08, 2013 Princess rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone contemplating divorce
Recommended to Princess by: new arrivals shelf at the library
Wasser offers great advice and insight into getting divorced (or going through dissolution if you use her terminology). While I don't agree with everything she says about relationships, I do think this is a book worth reading for anyone considering divorce. My divorce was finalized about a year ago and my ex and I worked hard at working through the process as a team and coming through as unscathed as possible, something Wasser recommends. I especially liked the anecdotes/stories she used to illu ...more
Jodi
Jan 11, 2014 Jodi rated it liked it
Gerard
Oct 26, 2013 Gerard rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I grew up with divorced parents so I thought this book might be a good read for me to hopefully get a better understanding of what it was that my parents went through.
It's an easy to read book that will take your hand through the entire process and gives explicit detail on what to do, and expect, on each step of a divorce.
Although I do not recommend people getting a divorce, unfortunately sometimes there doesn't seem to be a better solution. In that case, I recommend to you this book to help you
Janine Brouillette
Sep 27, 2013 Janine Brouillette rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A good summary of divorce protocol. Laura Wasser is an LA Family attorney. Her book talks to all different family groups, same sex, with or without children, and common law. She describes how to get started on the end, custody, spousal and child support, dividing up assets, and what to expect in court. She also give some great examples of forms.
Brett Axel
Aug 21, 2013 Brett Axel rated it really liked it
Being that this was written by a lawyer for celebrities I expected it to have little relevance for regular folks, but that didn't matter much. It is surprisingly comprehensive and easy to follow. I wish my ex would read it too.
Tracy Elliman
Mar 13, 2014 Tracy Elliman rated it it was amazing
Sadly, if you or have a friend going through the early stages of separating or divorce (girl or guy) this is a well written, uplifting advice book- on how to handle yourself.
Sylvia Wu
Sylvia Wu rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
May 11, 2014
Madina Areva
Madina Areva rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2014
Jean Camper
Jean Camper rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2013
Majka Svetlíková
Majka Svetlíková rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2015
Leslie Aday
Leslie Aday rated it it was amazing
Oct 13, 2014
Karian
Karian rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2015
asaco
asaco rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2015
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2014
Kevin Meredith
Kevin Meredith rated it really liked it
May 30, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2017
Jeanette Kintz
Jeanette Kintz rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2013
Tim Moxey
Tim Moxey rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2017
Farheen
Farheen rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2013
Gaia
Gaia rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Nicki Beltranena
Nicki Beltranena rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2013
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015