Start by marking “The F- It List” as Want to Read:
The F- It List

The F- It List

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  1,496 ratings  ·  279 reviews
With her signature heart and humor, Julie Halpern explores a strained friendship strengthened by one girl’s battle with cancer.

Alex’s father recently died in a car accident. And on the night of his funeral, her best friend Becca slept with Alex’s boyfriend. So things aren’t great. Alex steps away from her friendship with Becca and focuses on her family.

But when Alex fina
Published November 12th 2013 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about The F- It List, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mackenzie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Rose
I technically wanted to write a full review of this and have it say everything I want to say about "The F-it List", but this is going to be short and sweet because I don't think it's going to take much for me to reflect upon it.

Overall, I wasn't impressed with this novel because I think it tried to do so much within it that everything was just over the top. You have two girls: Alex and Becca, who are friends and the novel starts off with Alex being mad at Becca for sleeping with her boyfriend o
Jasprit

“Maybe not amazing, but we have to do what we want and not let conventional fear get in the way”.

There seems to be a certain trend with books dealing with bucket lists as of late. I find that I’m really an emotional reader, I seem to find myself gravitate towards books which deal with tough emotional subjects and ones which make me cry. So bucket list books were certainly books I couldn’t wait to dive into.

Despite me assuming that The F-it List would be a book which would solely focus o
Pixie/PageTurners(Amber) C.
The F It List is a laugh out loud, honest, witty and down to earth read. Even though the story revolves around cancer - every girl can relate to this story. Who hasn't had a fight with their best friend?

Alex and Becca have been best friends for practically forever so they have had tons of fights and make ups during their friendship. So when Becca basically does the WORST thing you can do to your best friend AND she did it on the day Alex had to bury her father; Alex is upset, but she figures sh
Kelly
The story of two crass, abrasive best girl friends? Sign me up.

Alex's dad died in a car wreck, and her best friend Becca slept with Alex's boyfriend. Alex needs a break from her friend to process all of the collisions going on in her life simultaneously, and she takes that break over the summer.

But when she returns to school, she gets the memo Becca's been diagnosed with cancer. Immediately horrified, Alex turns back to Becca, hoping they can continue the friendship they one had.

And they can.

B
Sam
This ARC was provided by the publisher for the purposes of review.

I feel like The F-it List is likely going to get some unfair comparisons to The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Yes both books deal with cancer, love, and loss, but they couldn't be more far a part in a lot of their core values. Cancer is always a heavy handed topic and there are so many books out there that use it as a means to get a rise in emotion instead of showing HOW people actually fight it.

The F-it List is that story. Le
April Marble
Guys, I don’t know what happened! I was so excited to read this book (and maybe that’s where I went wrong), but I ended up being completely disappointed. I thought this book had such a good concept, and it just screamed my name, but it really failed to deliver.

While this book gives you the impression that it would be full of meaningful and rich story, I feel as if it rarely focuses on that. If the book was targeted more between the relationship of Alex and Becca rather than literally everything
Clare
Jillyn
Alex and Becca's friendship is strained, to say the very least. While Alex is faced with the loss of her father, Becca comes forward and confesses to sleeping with Alex's boyfriend. A bit of time passes, and Alex's anger is all but forgotten when she hears that Becca has cancer. Becca asks Alex to complete her bucket list as she starts chemo, so that's exactly what Alex does- sets out to complete the renamed F- It list.

----

This book wasn't my cup of tea. I felt like it has a good base idea and c
Jeff Raymond
Hooray sick teenagers/bucket list trend?

This is a more mature YA take on the whole sick kids/"fulfill a list of things"...thing we're doing right now, apparently. On this book, it's Alex's friend Becca that has cancer, and Becca gives Alex her list to complete, or at least try to.

The book is ultimately fun and readable, but is so profane and so oversexualized that it really pulled me out of the story a bit. Perhaps there's a lot more realism here than I'm seeing, but it felt really unnecessary a
BookChic Club
YAY NEW JULIE HALPERN BOOK! Can't wait to read it!!

Edit 6/18/13: Just got my ARC of it. I may have to read it very soon. :)

9/18/2013: Just finished it and absolutely loved it. Full review to come!
Sara Grochowski
Julie Halpern brings something new to the "YA cancer lit" subgenre with The F-It List... simply put, I love this book.

Most YA cancer novels feature either a teen who has cancer or who has a parent with cancer, but this is the first time I've seen that the main character is the best friend of someone with cancer. The fact that Alex is the best friend, not the patient, adds an entirely new perspective to the mix. When you consider the fact that Alex has recently lost her father (to a car accident)
Melissa (Book Nerd Reviews)
The F- It List was very different to what I expected – in the best possible way. I think anytime I hear a book is about cancer I am a little bit reluctant to read it. Really, who wants to feel depressed? I was pleasantly surprised with this story. Whilst this story is about a girl supporting her best friend who has just found out she has cancer, the cancer itself plays a backseat role to the bigger plot.

I really liked the way this book was written. Whilst I don’t think this book is appropriate f
Eve
NOTE: An ARC was provided by NetGalley and the publisher (Feiwel & Friends) for review.

Pretty cover, isn't it? But despite the beautiful colors, it was the title that grabbed my attention. Before I read the synopsis, I thought The F- It List was going to be something completely different (you don't want to know what, trust me). It was easy to get used to Halpern's writing style and connect with the characters (except for Leo, but I'll get to that later). There is a lot of sex talk in this bo
Abbie
Another cancer book! But this was about dealing with loss, learning to open up, friendship, love, family, and self-efficacy.

I loved Alex's blunt, witty and sarcastic attitude. I loved her relationships and interactions, and her journey with grief. Leo and Becca were great characters as well. Becca wad kind and strong --- and hilarious. Leo made my face melt.

Overall, it was a very good book. I highly recommend it.
Stephanie A.
This is probably the worst bucket list* that has ever existed, which might explain why they changed the title to reflect the majority theme of its goals. It's also probably one of the worst books ever written about having a friend with cancer. But boy, if you want lots of detail about NC-17 activities (solo or with a grungy burnout), have I got the book for you!

*I personally would have called it the "Hookup Goals and Embarrassing Challenges List," which makes it even weirder that Becca wanted Al
Michael
On the night of her father's funeral, Alex's best friend Becca slept with her boyfriend. Needless to say this didn't go over well with Alex and she hasn't spoken to Becca much since.

Now as a new school year arrives, Alex decides it's time to get past Becca's indiscretion and continue their friendship. Looking for her friend on the first day of school, Alex discovers that Becca has cancer and that the time they have to forgive and forget may be less than both of them expected or counted on.

To ma
Chiara
"The F-it list" by Julie Halpern is about 2 young girls named Alex and Becca. Alex's dad recently died and on top of her dads death, she has to deal with her best friend Becca who was diagnosed with cancer.To be honest it was not the best book i have ever read. I found that the book was way to mature then i have anticipated.I thought it be a more of a warm heart felt book (like the Fault in our Stars), but i did not expect to read about Alex and her sexual life! i wish the author made it the boo ...more
Kelli (I'd So Rather Be Reading)
The F-It List was such a sweet book---and I didn't expect that, going off of the title. I really enjoyed it! I liked Alex from the very first page and found myself quite invested in her journey. ALex had a fresh, honest voice and that made for a really enjoyable read.

Alex has a lot going on in her life: dealing with the death of her father, her mother coping with the loss by escaping at work, and helping raise her two younger brothers. Not to mention working at a sandwich shop after school and
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
While this book is emotional for sure because of the inherent emotional responses, there is also romance, surprising amount of humor, and a main character that I fell for. Alex is caring and loyal, but she is one to deal with her emotions on the inside rather than the outside like her best friend Becca. She has this way of communicating that makes me smile because she is honest and to the point. While she has some self confidence, she knows that she has things to work on, and I just saw a lot o ...more
Amy Fournier
I have read books that deal with cancer, but this was totally different. Yes, it had an emotional impact, but it was also full of hope. It was light-hearted, while still having an emotional impact. This was not told from the perspective of the person with cancer, but by her best friend, who has just been through her own tragic issues. I loved the idea of the bucket list and Alex trying to complete it for her best friend. She not only is doing something for her friend, but she discovers herself a ...more
Sally Kruger
I anticipate some will be offended by the title, but please don't let that stop you from picking up a copy of Julie Halpern's latest due out on Nov. 11, 2013.

In this teenage take on the "bucket list," Halpern tackles such difficult topics as loss of a parent, illness of a friend, and young love. She does it in a no-nonsense, sometimes gut-wrenching directness.

Alex is just getting used to the fact that her father is gone. Killed in a taxi accident, he left behind teenage Alex, her twin brothers,
Jenni Arndt
Knowing that contemporary novels are my safe haven, I was pretty excited going into Julie Halpern's The F-It List. There's something that always feels so nice when I get to pick up a good contemporary and get lost in it, cheesy as it sounds, it feels like going home! This one deals with some heavy issues such as death and cancer and it does so incredibly well and even has a sweet romance to boot.

We meet Alex as she is dealing with the sudden loss of her father in a car accident and a betrayal fr
Reving
Eight years ago I lost my best friend to cancer. She lost the earthly battle, but she gained the Heavenly Kingdom. I miss her everyday, but I can't feel sorry for her. My Joanie is LIVING the LIFE, man! It's the rest of us, those left behind, who are the unlucky ones!
Because of my personal experience, The F--- It List really hit home with me.
Alex isn't just dealing with her best friend's illness, however. Her father was recently killed in a car accident.
I read Halpern's Don't Stop Now and I real
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
When I read the description I was like 'another cancer book? When will the sadness end?'. But as I started to hear more and more about it and hear some rave reviews I figured, what' some more sad book?! And after reading it I can 100% honestly say there is nothing depressing about The F-It List. This book was like no other cancer book I've read. It was funny and edgy and gritty and filled with foul language that made it honest and a joy to read.

The F-It List is the story of Alex and her best fri
Isamlq
For all the cussing and the directness that goes on here, this ends almost too happily for me. Yet, what’s so bad about an HEA you ask? Well, the girl does one thing and then another thing in an effort to establish herself different from the rest… but ends up not quite that. Sure she is different to an extent… she’s just not as remarkable as I was hoping because well, there’s ending, you see. Must the ending have been almost too Hollywood matchy-matchy? That aside, things did get interesting: he ...more
Terry
This is a good beach-read about Alex supporting her best friend through cancer treatment, fooling around with a boy and coming to terms with the premature death of her father. Despite the heavy subject matter, Halpern keeps the darkness at a distance and seeds the story with ribald humor and references to many important slasher films. I found it genuinely entertaining.

Alex is a determined teen who works a job, watches horror flicks, and engages in sexual escapades without apology. This aspect of
Becca Rose
I won an ARC of this book from Goodreads givaways.

This book was really good. There were sad parts but there was also really funny parts and I found myself laughing throughout this book.I could really relate to the feelings Alex was going through. My grandma passed away 2 years ago from cancer and my other grandma had cancer but is currently in remission.

The only criticism I have it the title of this book. The F- it list wasn't really the main focus of the book like I thought it was going to be.
Katy Jane
1. I laughed out loud several times. The morbid sense of humor was very funny. And the banter between characters was quippy and smart.
2. I liked all of the pop culture references. I tend to love that about books. It makes me research things I didn't know a lot about. In this book it was certain movies and the West Memphis Three trial.
3. The characters are very real and have believable flaws.
4. The author deals with a lot of hard subjects also in a real way. I'm glad the characters learn somethi
Cassidy Washburn
It was an interesting read. The main character was amazing. I loved her "voice" the most. She was so sarcastic and funny even in the face of all these hardships. It was too short in my opinion though. I feel like to get the full affect of the story, it needed to be longer. I still enjoyed the read and would recommend it :D
Kelsey
It was more of a 2 1/2 star review for me. I don't know, this book just didn't do it for me. Some parts were cute and I didn't hate it, so that's a plus.
  • Sometimes Never, Sometimes Always
  • The Truth About You and Me
  • The Paradox of Vertical Flight
  • Chasing Shadows
  • White Lines
Julie Halpern is the author of Get Well Soon, Into the Wild Nerd Yonder and Don't Stop Now, as well as the picture book Toby and the Snowflakes. In addition to writing, Julie is a middle-school librarian. She graduated from the University of Wisconsin in Madison, lived in Australia for six months, and created a couple of zines before she started writing books, and realized she was and always has b ...more
More about Julie Halpern...
Get Well Soon (Anna Bloom, #1) Into the Wild Nerd Yonder Don't Stop Now Have a Nice Day (Anna Bloom, #2) Toby and the Snowflakes

“Why can someone
get so sick that the only way to get better is to make them more sick?
It’s like the world’s longest exorcism. It doesn’t make sense that I can
chat with someone live on a tiny screen, that governments spend billions
of dollars on war and mayhem, that actors make millions of dollars
to just look pretty and skinny, yet no one can fucking fi gure out
how to cure cancer without torturing people.”
11 likes
“Can we stop calling it a bucket list? Again: implied death,” I
noted.
“I thought it meant all the things you can fi t into a bucket to do.”
“Um, no, I think it means all the things you can do before you
kick the bucket. Which, actually, I think is an allusion to suicide, right?
Like, kicking the bucket out from under your feet while you hang.
Or maybe someone else is kicking out the bucket.”
5 likes