Start by marking “Mindful Parenting: Simple and Powerful Solutions for Raising Creative, Engaged, Happy Kids in Today’s Hectic World” as Want to Read:

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A mindful approach to parenting that helps children (and their parents) feel happier, healthier, calmer, and less stressed in our frenetic era

Rooted in the science of the brain, and integrating cognitive neuroscience and child development, Mindful Parenting is a unique program that speaks directly to today’s busy families who make up what Dr. Race calls "Generation Stress.
Published January 7th 2014 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 10th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Mindful Parenting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mindful Parenting

Katie
No, I'm not a parent, but I'm teaching a mindfulness class to my students, and this is the first book I've read on the subject of mindfulness and children to prepare for that.

This book started off incredibly strong; you can really recognize Dr. Race's science background. The first few chapters are set up to explain how our brains are wired for stress, including data and research. Race keeps it basic, but informative, and I felt like I had a good handle on basic brain function without feeling con
Rachelle
“Mindful Parenting” is positive and optimistic, with practical advice for parents of children of different age groups. The book is organized into 3 sections: recognizing stress’ harmful effects on the body, minimizing hidden stresses, and practicing mindfulness. Each chapter talks about brain chemistry and the science behind stress and mindfulness, as well as mindfulness tips and techniques. Race assures us that we all make parenting mistakes, and that we don’t have to practice all these mindful ...more
Kellie
Great parenting book with a lot of tips for the adults as well. I found myself very taken aback thinking about the kind of technology driven and overstimulating world my kids will grow up in. Give a lot of insight on how to weave mindfulness into everyday and help kids manage energy and stress.
Molly
This book has a lot of good reminders for me...I need to do a better job of teaching my children how to handle and cope with stress in their lives! I actually used this for a family night discussion and hope to implement a few if her ideas.
Kim Erwin
One of the VERY BEST parenting books I have EVER read. This is my gift to all new or repeat parents in my life. Cannot recommend highly enough!!!
Lisa B-w
Loved it! Well written. Easy to read and full of great suggestions for both parents and educators. Happily surprised by the quality of this book.
Nikki Morse
Couldn't finish because I have bigger fish to fry as a parent. It's probably a lovely book.
Victoria Beall
Gives great ideas and examples on situations. Very helpful especially with children with OCD.
Jaynevahle
Jan 09, 2014 Jaynevahle is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Just saw author at Tattered Cover--great scientific knowledge and practical advice.
Sharmila
WELL worth the read. So much so that I have purchased my own copy.
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Flknitter
Flknitter marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Kris Wood
Kris Wood is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2015
Sara Schmidt
Sara Schmidt marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Kristen Burris
Kristen Burris marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Jaclyn
Jaclyn marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Karina Gillies
Karina Gillies marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Khuey40
Khuey40 is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2015
Andrea Ward
Andrea Ward marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Robyn Greenwood
Robyn Greenwood marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
LeAnn
LeAnn added it
Jun 14, 2015
  • Raising Happiness: 10 Simple Steps for More Joyful Kids and Happier Parents
  • Becoming the Parent You Want To Be
  • Keep Calm and Parent On: A Guilt-Free Approach to Raising Children by Asking More from Them and Doing Less
  • How Much Is Enough?: Everything You Need to Know to Steer Clear of Overindulgence and Raise Likeable, Responsible and Respectful Ch
  • The Big Disconnect: Protecting Childhood and Family Relationships in the Digital Age
  • Mindful Discipline: A Loving Approach to Setting Limits and Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child
  • The Kids Will Be Fine: Guilt-Free Motherhood for Thoroughly Modern Women
  • Your Four-Year-Old: Wild and Wonderful
  • Getting to Calm: Cool-Headed Strategies for Parenting Tweens + Teens
  • The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting
  • Momma Zen: Walking the Crooked Path of Motherhood
  • The Happiest Baby Guide to Great Sleep: Simple Solutions for Kids from Birth to 5 Years
  • If I Have to Tell You One More Time. . .: The Revolutionary Program That Gets Your Kids To Listen Without Nagging, Reminding, or Yelling
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • Parenting Without Power Struggles: Raising Joyful, Resilient Kids While Staying Cool, Calm and Connected
  • Buddhism for Mothers: A Calm Approach to Caring for Yourself and Your Children
  • The Conscious Parent: Transforming Ourselves, Empowering Our Children