Start by marking “Better Than Perfect (Wild Cards, #1)” as Want to Read:
Better Than Perfect (Wild Cards, #1)

Better Than Perfect (Wild Cards #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  8,929 ratings  ·  1,159 reviews
Ashtyn's life just got complicated. Her boyfriend is being distant and her sister's back at home after ten years - with a stepson in tow!

Derek has a perfect body, THE sexiest smile and a car - Ashtyn's only way to escape from her crazy life. But Derek likes to play by his own rules and is keen to take Ashtyn on a ride she'll never forget. As they spend more and more time a...more
Published August 14th 2014 by Bloomsbury Childrens (first published October 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Better Than Perfect, please sign up.

Dayla yes, the other title is just "wild cards" on its own, but they are the same book.

Miakoda
May 23, 2012 Miakoda marked it as really-want-to-read  ·  review of another edition
*twitches eye* New. Book. By. Simone. Elkeles. Must. Buy. Must Read.

Edit:

Hmm. 2013?

Who's with me?

Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]
Apr 16, 2012 Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ] marked it as excited-for  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wish-list

Dear Grilled Cheesus,

First of all, you're super delicious.
And second thank you so much for answering my prayer for this new series.
Please, Grilled Chessus, please let this new book by Miss Simone be as amazing as the Perfect Chemistry. There should be smokin' hot guys like the Fuentes brothers and utterly sizzling romance scene. Oh and please let me be the girl next to the hot guy on the soon-to-be-cover.

And in return, Mighty Cheesus, I'll make sure I'll honor you by not eating you till I have t
Emily May
Normally with Ms Elkeles, you know what you're going to get. Nothing too serious, a few touches of cliche, but generally a romance that is sexy, entertaining and filled with hilarious banter. I might not be the ideal reader for this kind of novel, but I confess that I've enjoyed her books in the past and fully expected to find myself a new guilty pleasure with Wild Cards. Well, I'm not sure what happened here but this just doesn't have the compulsive readability of Elkeles' other books. I never...more
Sandra

5 MIND BLOWN STARS.

tumblr inline mo94a32cc O1qz4rgp

******
“You own a piece of me," he murmurs as he holds me (...).
"Good," I tell him. "And just so you know… I'm never giving it back.”
******

Wow! Guys, what a book! WHAT a book.
It's so good it actually went to my 'favorites shelf', and that in its self is a miracle because there are no books that are flawless, but those on that 'favorites' shelf are freaking damn close.

This was such an emotional read!

tumblr inline mq2hpk X1x B1qz4rgp

I've been waiting to get my hands on Wild Cards ever since i heard about i...more
♥Rachel♥
I’ve been a huge fan of Simone Elkeles since reading Perfect Chemistry, so I was excited (and a little nervous) when I heard she would be coming out with a book! Turns out I didn’t need to be nervous, because Wild Cards ended up being a sweet romance filled with simmering attraction.

Ashtyn is a girl with a plan and the motivation to carry it out. She’s all about football and she’s good enough to be captain of her high school team. A guys team (mostly), mind you. She hopes to be good enough to c...more
Nadd
May 12, 2013 Nadd marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: simoneelkeles
All of your books that i've read i gave them 5 stars. And i expect this one wont disappointment me as you never did :) SIMONEELKELES FAN STRIKES! I know you wont disappoint me I meant US.

HAHAH! I'm SO HAPPY! Another book from my FAVORITE AUTHOR

Expected publication 2013?!! FOR REAL?!!! I think im going to cry

alt="description"/>

Seriously people? This book hasn't published yet. And you already gave 1-2 stars? Come on people. Have some mercy

*Reading the reviews

30th October

ARGH! I'm waiti...more
Gillian

Rating: Go read Catching Jordan instead.

Originally posted at Writer of Wrongs

Ugh. This book. It just doesn't work, though it gives a valiant effort. It has massive potential, but most it just kind of annoyed me. Wild Cards purports to be a romance novel about football, but there isn't even one football game in this book. Not one. See that football player on the cover? LIES. ALL DIRTY LIES.

Wild Cards is about Ashtyn Parker, whose name bugs the crap out of me. Look, strange spellings are fine in...more
Christy
4 Stars!!!!

photo a8bfd7db-4ecb-4754-9bfb-ca02337de4e7_zpse0ca9dd6.jpg

Wild Cards was a sweet, fun, light and enjoyable read!

Derek Fitzpatrick and Ashtyn Parker couldn’t be more different if they tried. Derek goes to a private school, well he did... until he got expelled for pulling one too many pranks. His dad is in the Military and his step mom is young. He doesn’t have much supervision, he pretty much does what he pleases. Ashtyn is one of the few female football players out there. She lives with her father, and dates the school’s quarterback. Now th...more
Daisy

This book is so sweet, heartwarming and simply brilliant!!!!!! A must-read

Derek Fitzpatrick

photo f195c82d7907fa19067edb2c1a6404bf.jpg

And adorable football player girl, Ashtyn

photo 7d93b7b0cb1cf522376b9b5a16f29447.jpg
 photo girls-football-trick-animation.gif

It is interesting to see how these two have to meet, Derek is Ashytn sister's step-son! Period!
They start off with a fight and hiding each other feelings! As they get to know each other, something between them becomes closer.

" I want to kiss ou so bad right now"
"Do you usually ask a girl, or do you just do it?"
"Usually I just do it"
So what you are waiting for?
Leah
This review will go live on the blog 09/19

Wilds Cards is, unfortunately, a prime example of an intriguing plot that had a horrible execution. Southern boy Derek has found himself in the headmaster's office after a prank-gone-wrong. The prestigious school have given him numerous chances and this is the last straw. After fessing up and taking all of the blame, Derek's told he has 48 hours to gather his things and leave. With his dad stationed overseas and a spacey 25-year old stepmother, Derek isn...more
Jasprit
Had you given me this book three years ago, I would have devoured it right up. It was about three years ago that I first read Perfect Chemistry. I thought it was an amazing read, the chemistry that Elkeles had created between Alex and Brittany was tense and smouldering, and I remember staying up until the wee hours finishing it off. Since then I’ve become a real fussy reader and from the first few chapters I’m able to tell whether a book will hit the right spots or not. Wild Cards actually start...more
Giselle
A true feel-good book, Wild Cards is the "happily every after" story we all need once in a while. It may have clichés, but you read this book for the sappy, yet edgy romance that it is.

Ashtyn and Derek make up our dual perspective in Wild Cards. I found them both amusing but I connected with Ashtyn the most. Football captain with abandonment issues, she doesn't make things easy on herself. I didn't quite understand why she let her ex-boyfriend get the best of her, however. It was obvious he was...more
Leah
Dec 28, 2011 Leah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Reasons that I'm excited about this book:
1) Hello! Its by Simone Elkeles!! Anything with awesome writing and an awesome story like Perfect Chemistry I need to read!
2) Does this not sound like one of my favourite TV Shows?
description
Friday Night Lights! Woo!

So, yeah, you can probably tell I'm really looking forward to reading this :)
Harriet
*5 STARS!!*

This was such a fun and easy read. I have wanted to read it for so long but kept putting it off. Now with the World Cup on I thought it would be a perfect time to read a footy type romance!

So, one of my favourite films is She's The Man and even though this is completely different I did keep picturing it and Amanda Bynes (before she went crazy) in my head. I love when I read about a heroine playing 'boy' games! I just always find them extra sassy and spunky. I loved that she doesn't...more
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you Bloomsbury Australia for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.
“I'm tryin' to push you away when all I want to do is hold you. I know you say you don't want a hero, but damn I'd like to be that guy who'll save you from spiders and whatever and whoever else hurts you.”

Despite the glaringly large number of flaws Wild Cards held, I still couldn’t bear to give this anything under 3 stars. Why? Because there's thi...more
Ariana
So, Elkeles is back and so is my enjoinment for her books.
I had this fear for a second, that I was becoming a bit too old for her stories, but on a second thought: how can one be too old to have fun, right? That’s impossible! Or so I hope.

I assume that many of you are familiar with Simone’s style – I can’t say that her books are emotionally intense or that one might learn something from them.. It is really not the case. In fact, her books can be a hit or a miss, because they are meant for one’s...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
Very good book. I didn't like it as much as Perfect Chemistry, but I still find Elkeles to have so much energy in her writing. I liked the heck out of Ashtyn and Derek. I can't wrap my mind around how sexual teens are today.

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur Magazine. http://affairedecoeur.com.
Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus
Wayyyyyyy to excitable about this new series from Elkeles!!! She is one of my most cherished authors and really looking forward to stepping into this new world she will deliver us.
Amelia
Aug 30, 2012 Amelia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
OH YEAH bring it on!
Danny
Read Review at Bewitched Bookworms

Simone Elkeles is just an amazing Author and her books just belong to my must-buy-must-read list. I love her contemporary stories and I lover her happy ends. When I found out about her new series about Football players I was barely able to hold back from jumping up and down. Ever since watching Friday Night Lights I am a HUGE fan of American Football!!

Characters made of Awesome!
The story is actually told from two POV, one is Ashlyn and one is Derek…. And .. I c...more
Stormy

Simone Elkeles won my heart over long before Jennifer L. Armentrout.
And I know I get a lot excited and super crazy when JLA's books come out. But Simone's? God. It's 100 x WORSE!
I'm salivating for this shit!
LOVE LOVE LOVE Simone!
Read all her books and LOVED them!
I AM DYING for this!!DYING DYING DYING!!!!!
Nobody pulls my heart strings and makes me all giddy like Mrs. Elkeles can.
AHHHH!
*freaks out*

CAN NOT WAIT FOR OCTOBER FIRST!

*tries to catch breath*

Ahhh! I'm a little disappointed. I was expecti
R.J. Gonzales
Simone has knocked it out of the park again and has a really great start to a new series!

(Full review to come closer to release date)
Arlene
When Derek is expelled from Regents Preparatory Academy in California after pulling a prank during the senior’s graduation ceremony, he’s forced to move with his stepmother to Chicago until his father returns from his tour in the service. The summer ahead of him is sure to be filled with huge adjustments, which he’s prepared to face; that is until he meets his stepmother’s younger sister Ashtyn and the heat is suddenly turned up on his summer plans.

Ashtyn Parker has no idea how drastically her l...more
♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties
To think that just yesterday, I was plotting to kidnap a Fuentes brother to keep him in my basement of book boyfriends drooling over the Fuentes brothers.

This book. This new love interest. Everything is just perfect.

Note: If Ms Elkeles does notice that Derek or a Fuentes brother suddenly er... disappears... I swear it wasn't me... Even if the evidence proves otherwise.
Sam
Possibly even 3.5 stars

Pretty enjoyable - I was grinning like a fool through most of it - though I can't say that I'll remember Derek or Ashtyn (or anyone else) all too well in a few weeks. It isn't nearly as memorable as Perfect Chemistry for me.
Future Slayer Girl (aka: kitten)
Let me first start off with the fact that I am not a football fan at all, so I was very reluctant to read this. I actually hated all the football players in high school, or anyone else who was considered 'popular'.

However, Simone has this divine talent to get me to adore all her teenage angst. This book had pretty much every element I adore in my young adult fiction. Every character I adored, right down to the dippy step-mother. She was dippy but she was endearing. Ashtyn was an amazing lead fe...more
Nick

Read more of my reviews at Nick's Book Blog.

Simone Elkeles is one of the very first authors who got me hooked onto YA contemporary novels. Her Perfect Chemistry series and her How to Ruin Series were instant favorites of mine. So, when I found out about her new series, Wild Cards, I was beyond excited. Having read the book now, I must say that I'm disappointed with the outcome.

After a prank gone wrong, Derek is thrown out of his school and he's forced to live with his new step-mom's home in Illi...more
Ashley
Nose Graze — Young Adult book reviews

Wild Cards was very... meh.

I started the book on good terms. Derek seemed like a troublemaker, but a decent enough guy, and Ashtyn was a cool, tough, tomboy-ish girl. She was apparently really good at football, laid back, and kind of one of the guys. But then this happened:

* Derek wasn't a bad boy at all. He constantly thought he was, but there was no evidence to support that whatsoever.
* Ashtyn became clingy, needy, annoying, and a little pathetic.
* The foot...more
Lim
COVER REVEAL!

Blurb

After getting kicked out of boarding school, bad boy Derek Fitzpatrick has no choice but to live with his ditzy stepmother while his military dad is deployed. Things quickly go from bad to worse when he finds out she plans to move them back to her childhood home in Illinois. Derek’s counting the days before he can be on his own, and the last thing he needs is to get involved with someone else’s family drama.

Ashtyn Parker knows one thing for certain--people you care about leave
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review also appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Derek is a bad boy who has been unwillingly relocated to Chicago by his ditzy stepmother. He meets his new stepsister, a gorgeous tomboy who is the captain of her football team. Instantly attracted to each other, but not seeming to get along, the two undergo a love/hate relationship throughout the course of the book.

Wild Cards is filled with romance cliches, instant love, to an extremely good looking boy and girl, to an...more
YA Buddy Readers'...: Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles --> Restarting July 18th 2014 48 51 Jul 22, 2014 12:29PM
Young Adult Conte...: #7 Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles 7 23 Feb 24, 2014 07:26AM
katie calhoun 1 36 Dec 21, 2013 03:23PM
CHS PageTurners B...: Wild Cards 1 4 Nov 26, 2013 12:15PM
Elie's Book Club: Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles 10 11 Nov 17, 2013 10:34PM
Crazy for Young A...: Wild Cards by Simone Elkeles → Start Date: November 5, 2013 60 49 Nov 10, 2013 05:33PM
  • Crash into You (Pushing the Limits, #3)
  • Racing Savannah
  • Dirty Little Secret
  • Stir Me Up
  • The Truth About You and Me
  • Nantucket Blue (Nantucket, #1)
  • Belonging (Temptation, #2)
  • Reclaimed
  • Heartbeat
  • Hooked (Hooked, #1)
  • Our Song
  • Out of Play
  • Entangled (Entangled, #1)
  • Goodbye, Rebel Blue
  • The Brokenhearted (The Brokenhearted #1)
  • Right of Way
  • Tumble & Fall
  • The Sound
Simone Elkeles is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of novels for teens. Simone’s books have won many awards including being YALSA Top Ten Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers, being named to the YALSA Popular Paperbacks and Teens Top Ten lists, and added to the Illinois “Read for a Lifetime” Reading List. Simone also won the coveted RITA award from the Romance Writers of...more
More about Simone Elkeles...
Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry, #1) Rules of Attraction (Perfect Chemistry, #2) Chain Reaction (Perfect Chemistry, #3) Leaving Paradise (Leaving Paradise, #1) Return to Paradise (Leaving Paradise, #2)

“Julian, sometimes girls are like junk food. They look good, and they sure taste good… but you know they're not healthy for you and cause cavities so it's better to just leave 'em alone. Got me?” 34 likes
“Because I'm tryin' to push you away when all I want to do is hold you. I know you say you don't want a hero, but damn I'd like to be that guy who'll save you from spiders and whatever and whoever else hurts you.” 31 likes