The Seance Society: A Mystery

The Seance Society: A Mystery

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  37 reviews
It's 1956, and Lee Plunkett has taken over the family business as a private investigator despite his reluctance to follow in his father's footsteps. When murder intrudes on a group of ghost seekers, Lee is asked to solve the case by a cop on the verge of retirement. At the urging of his perpetual fiancée Audrey, Lee enlists the help of Mr. O'Nelligan, a scholarly Irishman...more
Published October 1st 2013 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Seance Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seance Society

Cheryl, The Book Contessa
First, many thanks to Minotaur Books and NetGalley for this ARC of this e-book!
A light mystery with a colorful cast of characters. It read kind of like the Clue game of the '70's --A mysterious death is investigated. The scene is in "The Parlor". Was it the odd, outspoken Mr. Kemple? The boisterous drama queen Miss Sassafrass? Mousey Ms. Chauncey? Mr. O'Nelligan and Detective Plunkett set out to find out. Good thing Lee Plunkett is surrounded by all these personalities, because as the central c...more
Steve
This book was a nice light read that had enough action and plot twist to keep my full attention. I feel though that it could have been much more. The plot is good and the two detectives Plunkett & O'Nelligan make a good team. I thought the cast of characters in this whodunit was right on. A B-movie actress, a gorgeous widow, and even a butler made this the kind of book I look forward to.

Without giving too much away the case involves a rich eccentric who dies while trying to communicate with...more
Maxine
It’s 1956 and millionaire inventor and spiritualist, Trexler Lloyd has invented a machine which will supposedly allow him to communicate with the dead. However, on its first run, he is electrocuted. Perhaps by coincidence (or maybe not), the local coroner is present and pronounces the death an accident. However, at least one of the guests at the séance suspects foul play and hires detective Lee Plunkett and his assistant, Mr O’Nelligan to investigate.

Despite being set in the US, The Séance Socie...more
Debbie Krenzer
I received this book free from Net Galley in exchange for a review.

I really liked this book a lot. The story was set in the late 1950's and all the semblance of an old time mystery novel, even the butler. When it came time to reveal the murderer, the scene took place in the sitting room of a large, supposedly haunted, mansion. It felt like I was reading a script based on the game, Clue.

The characters were well developed and the story was interesting. There were quite a few quirky characters and...more
J
Ampersand Canada's Book & Gift Agency Inc
The Séance Society is the perfect read to while away a rainy day. It involves a reluctant private detective and his literary Irish friend Mr. O’Nelligan trying to find out who murdered a local spiritualist. The story is peppered with quirky characters and witty dialogue and the story moves along at a satisfying pace. It doesn’t give away the murderer, something I really appreciate in a mystery.
Doreen
8/29/13 Full review tk. Interestingly PG-rated.
Michelle L
It's very painful to find almost nothing to recommend about a work you know the author invested effort into. But this is unfortunately one of the flattest stories I have ever read. Thinking that couldn't last all the way through, I read the entire book. To no avail.
As a parody it lacks the pointedness that genre requires. As a mystery, it was pretty obvious HOW; and I personally didn't really care WHO, because the characters were less than cardboard.
The declared 1950s setting was utterly not th...more
Alice Liu
I spent the first half of this mystery trying to justify the blandness of the story. It is set in the 1950's, which obviously tones down the edginess. However, Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series is also set in the 1950's, and his stories are never bland. I think the problem for me was that Lee Plunkett, the protagonist and narrator of the book, was beyond mediocre. Having inherited his fathers P.I. business, Lee is dismissive, ignorant, and lacks curiosity or initiative...none of which seems t...more
Allison Campbell

This book was just good fun. Set in 1956, it follows reluctant private investigator Lee Plunkett as he looks into the death of eccentric, wealthy inventor Trexler Lloyd, who ostensibly died when his Spectricator, a machine intended for use in communicating with spirits, malfunctions. Lee inherited the family business, but he isn’t particularly committed to the job. Fortunately, he has the well-read Irishman Mr. O’Nelligan to keep him motivated and add insi...more
Leslie
I love this detective duo, particularly Mr. O'Nelligan's combination of wisdom, kindness and literary perspective. He is someone I'd want to know, and would want working on any detective challenge I had. Lee Plunkett is filled with the challenges of a young man who is developing his identity in the shadow of an overly colorful father, who left the detective agency to him. Mr. O'Nelligan, significantly older, becomes his new partner and positive father-figure, and their relationship is central to...more
Shari
A quick, easy read. I figured out what I thought would be the ending pretty early, but it turns out that I'd only determined an aspect of the story that was a stopping point on the way to the solution of the mystery. There were enough suspects in the story to keep things interesting, and I liked O'Nelligan a lot. I will likely read at least a couple more books in this new series.
Heather
If you like your mysteries witty and intelligent, this is the book for you. Most modern mysteries take themselves too seriously or fall into the rom-com category. This does neither. If you are a fan of M.C. Beaton or Agatha Christie, but also like buddy mystery sleuth pairs, read this.
April
Apr 23, 2014 April rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Saw the solution coming about a mile away, though not quite the culprit. Thought it was a bit of a stretch for motive. Found the narrator grating and kind of dull. Bit slow on the uptake for a detective, but perhaps my standards are a little high. Meh.
Susan
Small-time private investigator Lee Plunkett is hired by a client with good reason to stay anonymous when questions arise about the death of eccentric genius Trexler Lloyd. Fortunately, Lee's friend Mr. O'Nelligan, an elderly, erudite Irishman, volunteers to help with the case. Lloyd was interested in life after death and had assembled a strange household, including a former speakeasy owner, an arrogant medium, and a groundskeeper who sees ghosts. I picked this up with some hesitation, but it's...more
Lori Rader-Day
Very Sherlock/Watson, only 1950s America, and the PI is the Watson.
Elizabeth Ferry
Entertaining read. This is the first in what I hope are more to come in this series.
Jesse Blayne
Much like an elaborate game of Clue.

I'd like to see more by this author with the
same main characters.
Mrklingon
Fun little mystery, set in the late 50's. I hope he follows up with more.
Jan
A bit too much of a lightweight ... The plot was overplayed though reasonably sound. Perhaps it wasn't my cup of proverbial tea...
PWRL
Mar 13, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Naomi
Read my full review: http://bit.ly/19O2W8g

My opinion: This book was BLAND! There was a bit of sophomoric feeling to the writing that just didn't suck me into the book. It didn't help that I couldn't warm up to ANY of the characters, AT ALL!

It simply felt as though the story was simply there. It wasn't so bad that I couldn't finish the book. It just took a very long time to get there from a short, less than 250 page book which I should have been able to wrap up in one evening.
David Marshall
It starts well but the interests wanes as the book progresses.

Glafira
Read it so fast I didn't have time to add it to my "currently reading" list. A fun, fast read full of ghosts and spirits. Enjoyed the literary jargon of the elderly detective and the frankness of the younger. Hope to see more from this author soon!
Jeanine
A nice little mystery story set in the 50s.
Mattie
Being a lover of the game Clue I found myself immersed in this book. The duo trying to solve the murder were quite colorful and quirky in nature. The best part of this page turner was that it never gave away the identity of the murderer. This book was given to me as a digital copy by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. No compensation was received. I highly recommend this book.
Cindy Steinberg
I loved this book. It was so much fun to read and the characters really came to life. I have not read a lot of murder mysteries so this was a lot fun to try and figure out who done it!. The two main characters were people that I would love to have lunch with and chat a bit. I would recommend this book to all who want a good time read.
Amber
I got this book threw a giveaway. It was very easy to read and follow even with the big cast of characters involved in the story. Each person was a unique individual. They really helped pull the story together. Some of the characters i wish we seen a little more of. This mystery will end leaving you with a smile on your face.
Suzanne
I really liked this rather unique mystery set in the 1950's. The relationship between Lee Plunkett and Mr. O'Nelligan is priceless! It reminds me a bit of Grabenstein's Cepak and Boyle. I wish this book started a series as I'd love to read more about Lee, Audrey, and Mr. O'N!
Jane
Sticking with what I wrote when I was in the middle of it:

I am loving this book. I love the relationship of two main detectives. The writing is crisp without extra flourishes.

This team would make a great BBC-style TV show. Can someone please make that happen?
  • The Loch Ness Legacy (Tyler Locke, #4)
  • Whack Job
  • Cuts Through Bone: A Mystery
  • Force of Habit (Falcone & Driscoll Investigation, #1)
  • Double Dip (Davis Way #2)
  • Heirs of the Body (Daisy Dalrymple, #21)
  • Fatal Decree
  • Jo Joe
  • Blood Orange
  • Letters From a Murderer: The First Jameson & Argenti Investigation
  • Rosemary and Crime: A Spice Shop Mystery
  • The Hunter and Other Stories
  • A Skeleton in the Family (Family Skeleton Mystery #1)
  • Seducing the Princess
  • Wrong Place, Wrong Time
  • The Godborn (The Sundering, #2)
  • To Sail a Darkling Sea
  • The Exodus Towers (Dire Earth Cycle, #2)
O'Nelligan and the Perfect Game The Haunting Ballad: A Mystery The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, April 2001 Gods and Monsters Fantasy & Science Fiction, August 1999 (Vol 97, #2)