Start by marking “An Old Betrayal (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #7)” as Want to Read:
An Old Betrayal (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #7)

An Old Betrayal (Charles Lenox Mysteries #7)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  902 ratings  ·  158 reviews
In the seventh book of Finch’s bestselling series of Victorian mysteries, a case of mistaken identity has Charles Lenox playing for his highest stakes yet: the safety of Queen Victoria herself.

On a spring morning in London, 1875, Charles Lenox agrees to take time away from his busy schedule as a Member of Parliament to meet an old protégé’s client at Charing Cross. But whe
Published November 12th 2013 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about An Old Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Old Betrayal

C
For me, reading a Charles Lenox mystery is like seeing an old and cherished friend—it provides both joy and a sense of comfort that is bone deep. In a world of flashy, often gruesome, story writing, Mr. Finch offers the reader a respite, a place to escape from the maelstrom with a good story and a cast of main characters whose lives are interesting enough to keep you engaged page-to-page and who are also people genuinely likeable, even loveable. Charles Lenox, an imperfect man of gentle yet stea ...more
Evgeny
First things first: I need to mention I received this book from Goodreads giveaways. Second thing I need to mention: the blurb for it contains huge spoiler, so read it at your own risk.

London, 1875; Charles Lenox is a former private detective who works in Parliament. His protege John Dallington asked him to help with his new case: Dallington received an anonymous message asking him to meet its author at certain place and time, but the detective fell ill. Charles goes in his place and completely
LJ
First Sentence: The long green benches of the House of Commons were half-deserted as the evening session began, scattered with perhaps a few dozen men.

Charles Lenox’ life is full, with wonderful wife, infant daughter and a seat in Parliament. Although it is a very busy time in Parliament, Charles Lenox agrees to meet with a former colleague’s client. But it’s the murder of a country squire that returns Lenox to his former profession of investigation, at least part time. Lenox finds this to be mu
Sharla
I almost gave this one a five star. I thought it was the best of this series so far and I've liked them all. I love the characters, the period in history and all the historical details. The plot was good with a nice twist at the end. I couldn't find fault with it. The way I rate books the five stars are the ones I think are over-the-top great but honestly, this one came close.
Kip Brailey
This series never disappoints. Each book is a detective story but also a historical romp through Victorian England. As a lover of historical fiction, I look forward to each book in this series both for what will happen to the characters but more for the picture Finch will paint of a world that has passed.
Cherie
What one does for friendship!

This story was all about rumors and non confrontations. Charles will not confront the doctor nor Graham directly, but still thinks only the best of both of them despite nasty rumors. He stands up for Lord John Dallington, will not listen to slander about Graham and even when the doctor stands him up, continues to think only the best of him. Things were looking bad during much of this story. Dallington was terribly sick and had to ask Charles to handle a meeting for
The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Why on earth have I not picked up this series before now? An Old Betrayal, the seventh book in the Charles Lenox mysteries by Charles Finch, is a finely-crafted historical mystery, well-written and engrossing. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and can't wait to read the previous six books.

Charles Lenox is a former private (consulting) detective, clearly gentry although untitled, who now serves in the House of Commons. But his interest in the art of detection remains, and when a puzzle presents itself, he
Amy
I won a free copy of this book in a giveaway!

Perhaps it is strange but mysteries are my comfort reads -- nothing like a murder to soothe nerves -- and Charles Lenox is among my favorite detectives. The series is a bit quaint, evoking a more pleasant side of Victorian England, but it's never prim or stuffy. Charles, of course, is the focus and he is practically perfect in every way: smart, caring, generous, and incredibly tolerant for his time.

Here we find Charles back in the detection game. His
Amy Lignor
This is the seventh book in the extremely interesting series of Victorian mysteries starring Charles Lenox.

In this new novel, Charles is investigating a case of mistaken identity. Following the path of the other stories, Charles’s life is effected by familiar characters fans have grown to love: His political secretary, Graham; his wife, Lady Jane; friend and now detective, Lord Dallington; and Scotland Yard’s Inspector Jenkins.

Charles and Jane are now parents of two-year-old Sophia, and more t
Susan Johnson
How can you beat a mystery that Queen Victoria makes an appearance in? You just can't. Frankly, the Queen comes off pretty well in this novel and conveys the sense of fun that come through in this Victorian mystery. At one time, Charles Lenox muses that he is living in the futuristic time of 1875 and can't wait until 1900 comes along. That gave me a chuckle and shows that no matter when you live, it's an exciting time.

Lenox appears in his seventh novel and is now a member of Parliament and movin
Kathy
This is Book #7 in the Charles Lenox series, set in Victorian London, and the characters continue to grow on me. Charles is being kept busy with his Parliamentary duties and finding himself involved in mystery when he agrees to help his friend and protege, John Dallington. Mistaken identities and murders abound, and the mystery deepens, and soon Buckingham Palace is involved.

Not only are the mysteries in this series good, but the characters become like real friends. The little touches in the st
Barbara
We're up to the seventh book of this entertaining series. Now Charles Lennox is primarily a member of Parliament, hence his detectiving has gone by the wayside. His young friend Lord Dallington has basically taken over his investigation business. But wait! John Dallington has a bad bug--flu, cold, whatever, and it means that Charles must step in on one of his cases. A woman is very much in need of a private detective! There also appears to be a imposter on the scene also.
And of course--a murder!
Douglas Lord
Finch’s seventh entry in the “Charles Lenox” betrayal Reads for When Autumn Leaves | Books for Dudesseries (A Stranger in Mayfair) is pretty friggin’ awesome. Lenox is a former detective retired to Parliament in Disraeli-era London (that’s 1875ish, dude) where his duties entail things like debating “the Irish question” and helping ease tension between the crown and politicos. Though content, he yearns for the thrills he knew as a Sherlock Holmesian detective relying on his wits and a little shoe ...more
Curtis Sawyer
I have loved every one of the Charles Finch Lenox mysteries! I pre-order these as soon as I'm aware they are near release. I believe the period is captured well and I look forward to the complexities of the crime and its eventual solving. Excellent!
Joyce
This is really a 3.5--it's just that I liked the witty back and forth in the relationship of Charles and Jane in earlier titles. Not nearly enough Jane in this title. That said, it's a good historical mystery. Immersive details of time and place--and bit parts played by Disraeli, Gladstone, and even Queen Victoria. Lots of politics, social mores and customs in Victorian England, even good train clues. The mystery itself, the main one, is a complex puzzle, but gentle enough for some cozy fans. He ...more
Jayne
I love this series and was thoroughly pleased with the latest book. I enjoyed the mystery and also liked the direction he is taking the characters for the future.
Annette
I was not familiar with Charles Finch before I read this book. That was an error on my part. I am so very glad I found him.

Charles Lenox is a member of the House of Commons. He has become someone of presence in that body and he has special interests for which he speaks. He has even come to the attention of Mr Disraeli, the Prime Minister. Politics agree with him and he is a benefit to the political body.

In the past, Mr Lenox was a private detective. His business has been passed on to John Dallin
Chazzi
I received this as part of giveaway. It came with an ARC of The Laws of Murder. Being an earlier book, I thought I'd read it to get the feel of the author and characters. I am now looking forward to reading The Laws of Murder.

In London 1875, Charles Lenox is now a Member of Parliament and spends his days debating, reading and passing laws. Before that he was a private detective, but now keeps his fingers in by mentoring John Dallington.

Dallington is terribly ill and asks Lenox to meet with a mys
Deborah
An Old Betrayal is the 7th book in this series about Charles Lenox, a former detective and now member of Parliament, in 1875 London. I read the first few books in this series years ago when they came out and then lost track of it. I'm not sure why, because they are really good. Normally if I was going to pick up a series I had left off on I would have to go back and read all the intervening books and also the ones I had read if I couldn't recall them satisfactorily. However, and full disclosure, ...more
Heather
In this mystery, set in London in 1875, Charles Lenox, member of Parliament, is yet again drawn back to detective work: at the start of the book his former protégé, Lord Dallington, asks him to go to a meeting with a potential client in his stead. (Dallington is too ill to go himself, and the client contacted him via an anonymous letter, so he can't reschedule.) Lenox of course agrees, and of course ends up involved in the whole case, which at first looks only to be blackmail, but soon turns mor ...more
David
Charles Finch's An Old Betrayal: A Charles Lenox Mystery, the seventh in the series, is an engaging historical set in Victorian London.
Charles Lenox is an up-and-comer in Parliament, but as a favor for an ill friend, Sir John Dallington, agrees to assist in a detecting case. While his initial attempt to help his friend goes awry, Lenox finds that he misses the detecting business, his interest before Parliament, and needs no prompting to continue on with the case.
What begins as helping out a dams
Lelia Taylor
Years ago, when I read A Beautiful Blue Death, the first in this series, I was completely captivated by its charm and its debonair sleuth, Charles Lenox. I’m still just as entranced today with the seventh book.

It has been a while since the upper class Lenox last occupied himself as a private investigator and there have been other major changes in his life since that first adventure including getting married and becoming a Member of Parliament representing the Liberal Party. His young protege, Lo
Ann Costello
The current addition to the Charles Lenox mystery series, set in 19th Century London. Lenox is, in this book, a member of the House of Commons, but would much rather be a detective. Since he is very good at both his professions, there is a fair amount of psychological tension here as he juggles both. Nicely drawn and likable characters. Good sense of London and its class system. Entertaining.
Julie
I just finished the latest Lenox mystery - 'An Old Betrayal'. The author just kept giving us more right up to the last page! What a great book. Loved the research he had to have done to give us so many little historical gems and facts tucked in everywhere. Love where he has taken each character. Perfection. I really don't give mysteries 5 stars, but I think this is a 5 star mystery. I had absolutely no idea of what was coming with the main thread of the mystery, and then the author just kept ad ...more
Bexbooks
Iam really enjoying this series, my favorite genre is Historical Fiction, and a good mystery included rocks my boat! I learn so much history. And the plot and characters are superb. He always keeps me guessing to the very end. Now on to ny ARC of The latest installment, in the Charles Lenox Series. The Laws of Murder.
Jud Hanson
This is one of the best period detective novels I've read in a while. Finch has created a fascinating character that follows in the footsteps of perhaps the most famous of all detectives, Sherlock Holmes. I lament the fact that I haven't come across the Charles Lenox series before and look forward to going back and starting the series with the first book.
Beth
I really liked this book more than the last one in the series.
First, the case that Lenox gets caught up in helping Dallington with seems very trivial, but turns into a pretty big and entertaining mystery. There wasn't a lot of action, but the resolution to the mystery was well thought out and made sense.
Second,there are two smaller mysteries involving his friend, Thomas McConnell and secretary, Graham. I really enjoyed how these added to the story.
Third, all of the scenes dealing with Lenox life
Ashley
Another enjoyable read in the Charles Lenox mystery series! The latest installment finds Lenox fully immersed in his Parliamentary duties, occasionally missing his former life as a detective. When Lord John Dallington falls ill, Lenox steps in to meet his client but the meeting goes awry and the mystery thickens. Charles Finch does a wonderful job of laying out the clues for the amateur detective-reader, if one is itching to solve the case before Lenox. With a mixture of enjoyable side character ...more
Kayla Tornello
This is the first book of the series that I have read. I liked that I was able to jump right into it without feeling like I didn't understand things from the previous books.

Overall, this book had all the elements of a classic Victorian era mystery. The gentleman detective was a likable character and the mystery unspooled at a nice rate. The historic details all seemed accurate and were woven into the story in an unobtrusive way.
Kathy Moberg
What a thoroughly enjoyable mystery novel! The puzzle has some very nifty twists and turns, and the continuing storyline is wonderful. There were even a couple occasions when I laughed out loud. It's just a paragraph or so and has nothing to do with the plot, but the little vignette of a horse on the train had me giggling and wondering where Charles Finch got that idea!

I'll also comment that I love the trade editions of all the Lenox mysteries and wish all trade paperbacks used this physical for
  • Why Kings Confess (Sebastian St. Cyr #9)
  • Behind the Shattered Glass (Lady Emily, #8)
  • Fatal Enquiry (Barker & Llewelyn, #6)
  • Hunting Shadows (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #16)
  • Pagan Spring (A Max Tudor Mystery, #3)
  • Murder in Murray Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #16)
  • The Seventh Trumpet (Sister Fidelma, #23)
  • The Mark of the Midnight Manzanilla (Pink Carnation, #11)
  • From the Charred Remains (Lucy Campion Mysteries, #2)
  • The Revenant of Thraxton Hall: The Paranormal Casebooks of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Troubled Bones (Crispin Guest, #4)
  • His Majesty's Hope (Maggie Hope Mystery, #3)
  • Seven for a Secret (Timothy Wilde Mysteries, #2)
  • Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs #10)
  • Murder In The Afternoon (Kate Shackleton, #3)
  • Island of Bones (Crowther and Westerman, #3)
520296
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

My name is Charles Finch - welcome! I'm the author of the Charles Lenox series of historical mysteries, as well as the forthcoming novel about expatriate life in Oxford, THE LAST ENCHANTMENTS. I also write book reviews for USA Today and the Chicago Tribune and essays in ma
More about Charles Finch...
A Beautiful Blue Death (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #1) The September Society (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #2) The Fleet Street Murders (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #3) A Stranger in Mayfair (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #4) A Burial at Sea (Charles Lenox Mysteries #5)

“Great events make me quiet and calm—it is only trifles that irritate my nerves.” 2 likes