Start by marking “Return to Life: Extraordinary Cases of Children Who Remember Past Lives” as Want to Read:
Return to Life: Extraordinary Cases of Children Who Remember Past Lives

Return to Life: Extraordinary Cases of Children Who Remember Past Lives

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  249 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Dr. Tucker, in a follow-up to his book Life Before Life, explores American cases of young children who report memories of previous lives

A first-person account of Jim Tucker's experiences with a number of extraordinary children with memories of past lives, Return to Life focuses mostly on American cases, presenting each family’s story and describing his investigation. His g
Published December 3rd 2013 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Return to Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to Life

Apr 12, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a book about reincarnation. Most folks might stop there, roll their eyes and move on. Jim B. Tucker, M.D. would like you to give his book a chance and read through to the end. And I must say that the end is certainly the best part of the book. I don't know if reincarnation is real or not. But that doesn't bother me or other people who understand that what is 'real' changes. I have known people who feel certain they have been reincarnated. I know people who say without a doubt it is a bun ...more
Donna LaValley
Although the full title is “Return to Life, Extraordinary Cases of Children Who Remember Past Lives,” only 75% of the book delivers. What the reader may want, having chosen the book for the title, ends on page 164. The remainder of the 240 pages holds Acknowledgments, Notes, and References, and also 2 chapters of Dr. Tucker’s attempts to tie quantum physics to the subject of reincarnation. It didn’t work for this reader. Having looked into quantum mechanics or particle physics for myself, I have ...more
Jeanette
Mar 21, 2014 Jeanette rated it liked it
This was an audio book experience and well worth the listen. I wish there was more information included here on the results of this author's mentor- Ian who in his era gave up his advanced academic position to do research in this field.

This quest for more exact diligent scientific level record is beyond difficult when the window of most of this kind of memory is in extremely early human life. In Western cultural climates such mutterings of babies is in great majority rejected or ignored. And wit
Rishi Singh
Dec 31, 2013 Rishi Singh rated it liked it
This was overall an entertaining and informative introduction into the topic but I was expecting more scientific rigor and it had a few holes and the author had some weird comments that showed he used basic stereotypical generalizations that were concerning to say the least. For example:

"Her Husband, Kevin, a police officer, seemed out of central casting for an Oklahoma lawman with his stock build, his closely cropped hair, and Southwestern drawl. He definitely did not come across as someone you
Kelly
Dec 17, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I have always had an interest in reincarnation. I have tried past life regression therapy in the past and even as a child I remember I'd look in the mirror and would often get this sick feeling to the pit of my stomach and would think 'this isn't me, who is this stranger looking back at me?'. I never understood why I felt like that at the time, it was only when I got older and became interested in the concept of reincarnation that made me question if that was why I felt like that as a child. It ...more
Dave
Feb 05, 2014 Dave rated it it was ok
Shelves: social-behavior
The issue of past-life memories in young children is something I found fascinating and I think it deserves lots of follow-up research. Dr. Tucker's research methods appeared very haphazard to me. However, Dr. Tucker lost me when he began talking about Quantum Physics as a way to understand that we don't understand everything we experience. Sure QP talks about events not being real, or not occurring, until we observe them. But I don't believe that it equates to our past and current lives being dr ...more
Laure Reminick
Jan 11, 2014 Laure Reminick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in spirituality
Tucker furthers the research on the hows and whys of reincarnation. Before a child turns five, or thereabouts, memories of a time before the current life are more likely to be clear and untainted, hence more acceptable for a "scientific" investigation.

The cases in the book are riveting at times. On the other hand, Tucker bending over backwards to avoid sounding "weird" is actually a little weird, considering he wrote the book. I suppose there are people who might read this book to try to disprov
Tari
Sep 20, 2015 Tari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tari by: Local library browsing
Shelves: paper-books, 2015, abc
Janet Zehr
Mar 22, 2015 Janet Zehr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting account of children remembering past lives

This book makes us consider what happens after death and is it possible consciousness can survive and return to be reborn in another person. This idea is accepted in eastern religions, but is considered heresy in western ones. The author offers some very compelling cases and leaves us to decide what to make of them.
Leslie
Mar 29, 2015 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
very thought provoking.

This is, among other things, a scientific analysis of what some consider "new Age" thinking. But you can't argue with phenomenon that has been taking place throughout our existence as a species. From studies of children who recall past lives, to the examination of Quantum theory, this book pro ports that the inexplicable can be explained.
Clifford
Feb 07, 2016 Clifford rated it really liked it
Tucker's previous book, Life Before Life, included more cases, so if that's what you're interested in you should start there. Here, after discussing several cases, Tucker attempts to explain to skeptics how any of this is possible, and at least to me the quantum physics and other theories are unconvincing. Still, a very interesting book and subject.
Jessica
May 05, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This sequel is better than the first book. I got lost in the quantum physics section, although I do see why it was included. I thought it was interesting that the author reports an anecdote that he personally balked at. It was also interesting that he shared when the results were disappointing or inaccurate.
BobbiJo Menendez Charloux
I loved the individual stories within the book, so very interesting and thought provoking and backed up by enough proof that it has to be real. I could have done without some of the science talk but can't wait to have our own discussions in book club!
Melissa
Apr 23, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I was very happy to get a copy of Jim Tucker's follow-up to Life Before Life, and I liked it a lot. I liked that the children in this book are all American (there might have been one British), as his last book focused mainly on stories from Asia, which I have no problem with, except culturally, they are very different and it was interesting to hear past-life stories from kids who live now (and previously) in the US. There are several very compelling and detailed stories that I found fascinating. ...more
Jim Specht
May 03, 2015 Jim Specht rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Messes with my head!

The accounts were persuasive and credible. I seem not to be able to get these stories out of my brain .
Liz
Apr 03, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it
More interesting, I think, for someone like me who doesn't need "convincing" that there's something to this.
Patty Korzeniewski
Feb 05, 2015 Patty Korzeniewski rated it really liked it
I could hardly put the book down until the final two chapters on quantum theory. I understand why the author included it, but it made for rather dry reading.
Jenn
Jan 18, 2016 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This would have been better if it had more case studies and less quantum physics.
Louise Marley
Jan 09, 2014 Louise Marley rated it it was amazing
Well-written, cautiously researched book about a subject most scientists are afraid to discuss. If you want to learn something about quantum physics, then surprisingly, this book is for you! Dr. Tucker has made an excellent case for his thesis, without any of the woo-woo often associated with past-life exploration. Highly recommended.
Sheila A. Quinn
Return to Life

This book was short on case histories and long on theory. I bought the book because it was supposed to have US cases but there were only three or four. The cases are well researched and documented. He included several Indian cases, some of which were familiar. A large part of the book involved quantum mechanics and theories based on that. It as too long and convoluted for my taste. I understood it, but it was boring.
Jonathan
Mar 01, 2014 Jonathan rated it really liked it
I found out about this book after joining a forum created by Carol Bowman.I really enjoyed reading some of the case studies but skipped the chapters on Physics.I was a bit frustrated in the cases where they took so long to meet.The children in those cases forgot most of their memories and were almost a waste of time.I like his ideas about us being in one shared dream, I sometimes feel the same way when I wake up in the morning.
Samantha Roelofse
This book was interesting tucker presents research on children who remember past lives. The stories of the children and their families were interesting along with finding who the past person was. The final two chapters however present research on quantum theories to try and explain reincarnation. Unfortunately this part bored me and made it difficult to finish the book.
Rachel
Jan 12, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fictrion, 2014
I really enjoyed this book and thought the stories were remarkable. THe last two chapters on quantum physics and dreams were great too
Michelle Barnett
Oct 08, 2015 Michelle Barnett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Dr Weiss' discussion of the topic much more. This book gets a little dry and technical at times.
Julia
Jan 22, 2014 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting until he started talking about quantum theories. If I wanted to read about that I would pick up a book about it. The stories of the kids are very impressive.
Misskizzy
Jul 17, 2014 Misskizzy rated it liked it
Ok
Kathy
Kathy is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2016
Erin Malone
Erin Malone marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
  • Mother's Day
  • Mortal Sins: Sex, Crime, and the Era of Catholic Scandal
  • Old Souls: Compelling Evidence From Children Who Remember Past Lives
  • 2015 Serial Killers True Crime Anthology: Volume 2
  • 2014 Serial Killers True Crime Anthology (Annual True Crime Anthology, #1)
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2009
  • Behind the Screen: How Gays and Lesbians Shaped Hollywood, 1910-1969
  • Another Year
  • Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things: 2,317 Ways to Save Money and Time
  • The Dangerous Book for Dogs: A Parody
  • Dog Heroes of September 11th: A Tribute to America's Search and Rescue Dogs
  • Predators: Pedophiles, Rapists, And Other Sex Offenders
  • Famous Crimes the World Forgot: Ten Vintage True Crime Stories Rescued from Obscurity
JIM B. TUCKER, M.D. is Bonner-Lowry Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral Sciences at the University of Virginia. He is Director of the UVA Division of Perceptual Studies, where he is continuing the work of Dr. Ian Stevenson with children who report memories of previous lives.

Dr. Tucker was born and raised in North Carolina. He attended the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
More about Jim B. Tucker...