Start by marking “Nowhere Nice (Nick Reid, #3)” as Want to Read:
Nowhere Nice (Nick Reid, #3)

Nowhere Nice (Nick Reid #3)

The nastiest meth lord in three states is out for revenge on repo-man Nick Reid in the next riotously funny Delta noir novel from Rick Gavin

The last time Nick Reid and his pal Desmond tangled with that crazy meth-dealer Boudrot, Boudrot landed in jail and Nick and Desmond helped themselves to the several hundred grand in cash hidden in his trailer. Now Boudrot's made a jai
Published November 19th 2013 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Nowhere Nice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nowhere Nice

Steve
May 27, 2016 Steve rated it really liked it
4 stars.

This one started out a lot more serious and intense than the first two books in this series, until about the 30% point, when Nick, Desmond, and the rest of the Delta gang hit the road to Tuscaloosa to find Guy ("Gee", as in the French style), who ran from a road work crew of the local prison.

This fit into the rest of the series perfectly, and the characters and dialogue really drive the plot, especially the supporting characters. There's simply no topping the Delta colloquialisms and a
Meg
Dec 20, 2013 Meg rated it it was amazing
Mmmm, mmmm. Loves me some Rick Gavin. When I found out that he is really the alter ego of T. R. Pearson, I thought "of course!"

That Boudrout, the Acadian stickfuck who caused so much trouble in "Beluga", walks off a prison work detail and into the swamp. And he's coming after Nick Reid, Desmond, and anyone else who gets in his way.
Mick Mercurio
Nov 05, 2014 Mick Mercurio rated it it was amazing
Anyone who hasn't read this series, Ranchero, Beluga and now Nowhere Nice is missing out. Three of the funniest books I've ever read! Brings the Mississippi delta to life.
Josh
Feb 07, 2016 Josh rated it it was ok
I've been a fan of Rick Gavin's (the alter ego of T. R. Preston) Nick Reid novels since first stumbling upon Ranchero in the local library. The Delta setting makes an interesting change of pace from most crime novels, and they're filled with both mayhem and mirth. While they've suffered editorial problems from the beginning, both Ranchero and Beluga were quick, enjoyable reads.

Unfortunately, by the time we get to Nowhere Nice those editorial problems have come home to roost. On the simple front,
Cynthia Bazinet
Jul 15, 2013 Cynthia Bazinet rated it it was amazing
This novel is the third Nick Reid offering by Rick Gavin, novelist T. R. Pearson’s alter ego, and in it we are navigating familiar territory with characters who feel as comfortable (and charmingly off-putting) as any you’ll encounter in any crime series. Nick, Desmond, and their usual assortment of marginally skilled petty criminals traverse the Mississippi Delta countryside in pursuit of a meth lord who has skated from a prison work detail and is determined to exact his revenge on Nick, Desmond ...more
Stephen Wahrhaftig
May 23, 2014 Stephen Wahrhaftig rated it it was amazing
Nowhere Nice was a great place to be

TR Pearson's alter ego Rick Gavin's third book of an ex-cop and his bizarre crew of Delta characters is a delight to read. Fast moving, sardonic, and funny enough to cause me to laugh out loud. The best book in the series, with understated mayhem. The decrepit locales are described in enough detail to warrant extra showers after reading.

Gavin loves great dialog and puts it to great use in Nowhere Nice. His careful ear allows his characters to speak very little
Gpsz
Jan 19, 2014 Gpsz rated it liked it
Deserves less. Disappointing. First two were fun but this is just one gratuitous brawl after another with no apparent point except to waste time. Does not even Heighten suspense. Also author had to slip in a view anti conservative jibes just to maintain his holly wood script writer creds I guess. Jacket compares Gavin to Haiison but Gavin's plots are not as good. Situational farce is the same and local color characters are too. He is also less raunchy than Haiison which I do appreciate.
Van
Dec 19, 2013 Van rated it really liked it
Some guy a few below this said he didn't like it because "Seemed to be an endless string of red-necks punching each other out, driving around and general depravity." Shit, this is why I couldn't put it down. Lots of driving around, great descriptions and similes, punches, dialogue to die for, dogs with slogan t-shirts and characters as funny as, but more believable than Tim Dorsey's regular cast.
Don Gorman
Jan 18, 2014 Don Gorman rated it it was ok
Interesting little book. I read one of his earlier novels, Ranchero, and this one feels almost exactly the same. The Mississippi Delta is home to the most abject kind of weirdness you can ever uncover in this totally off the wall story of a couple of guys trying to track down an escaped convict who wants to get revenge on this group that put him in jail. The strangeness never ceases but the entertainment level is high.
Alvin
Jan 05, 2014 Alvin rated it it was ok
Not nearly as good as the first volumes in the series. Some funny moments, but the seams and contrivances are too obvious. Also, the book resorts to more profanity and boring tropes such as "that Boudrat" or "that Purdy." Also, a personal peeve is many sloppy grammatical and word use issues; it is as if the book were written with voice recognition software and no one edited..."tail of a comment" instead of comet, e.g.

Ron S
Aug 21, 2013 Ron S rated it really liked it
This "Delta noir" series is a perfect dick-lit guilty pleasure -- reads much like early Carl Hiassen if he was based in Mississippi, more prone to violence and without the environmental message. Laugh out loud funny and would probably appeal to a lot of men that don't read fiction or much of anything at all.
Paul Wilson
Jan 26, 2016 Paul Wilson rated it really liked it
The purest redneck book I've ever read. A posse of repo-men and various lowlifes hunt a meth lord out for revenge on the repo-men who stole his money in the previous book. The main conflict is sidelined in favor of mini redneck quests, which undermines the main conflict, but it was fascinating nonetheless.
Richard
Apr 12, 2014 Richard rated it liked it
For the story-line and plot I would rate it a 4-star work. However, the language used in the writing -- although nothing I have not heard before -- was far too excessive and a slam at all of the people living in those areas of Mississippi and Alabama. I cannot recommend this book because of the language. On the basis of the language I would rate it a 1-star work.
Glen
Mar 07, 2014 Glen rated it liked it
Shelves: neo-pulp
This is the third book in the series, but the first one I've read. Some meth lord escapes a chain gang, and our heroes assemble the squad and drive around to find him. This necessitates driving though Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, and most of Alabama. They get in trouble every time they start the car. What a bunch of screw ups. It reminded me a lot of some of Joe R. Lansdale's stuff.
Jan
Oct 06, 2014 Jan rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I picked up this book because the blurb on the front cover compared the book to Carl Hiaasen's. hmmmm. I stuck with it and admit I thought some parts were funny. A bit too much about cars, guns, intestinal issues, and fighting. If this were a movie, teenage boys would love it. It is the 3rd in a series. I'm thinking about looking for the first one
Naomi
Mar 30, 2014 Naomi rated it liked it
This book was the Sharknado of crime drama fiction. I think either love it or hate it. I loved it, was a great late-night read, but it really was crap. Buncha fools wandering around makin' trouble. Points for no sexual violence.
Jackie Trimble
Feb 14, 2014 Jackie Trimble rated it really liked it
Serves me right for reading these out of order (this is the first one I've read), so for the first 80 or so pages, I really had to concentrate to keep all the characters straight. But, it was still enjoyable.
Holly
Apr 25, 2014 Holly rated it did not like it
I'm *delighted* that I'm finally done with this book. it is less than 300 pages, yet it took me a month to read it because I just didn't like anything about it (but I'm too dumb to ever give up on a book I started).
Bruce
Dec 09, 2013 Bruce rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, abandoned
Abandoned this one half-way through. Seemed to be an endless string of red-necks punching each other out, driving around and general depravity. Hoped it would get better, but it did not.
Jayw
Feb 15, 2014 Jayw added it
Nick Reid and his partner Desmond take a break from repo'ing Delta deadbeats when meth head psycho escapes prison and comes looking for revenge.
Marianne McKiernan
Apr 14, 2014 Marianne McKiernan rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny. Sort of a guys' Stephanie Plum. Now I have to go find the first two in the series!
Denis
Mar 14, 2014 Denis rated it liked it
Good story but the end was kind of a letdown
Sharon
Jan 07, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
love this series! great read!
errors: p.113, 270.
Paul
Oct 22, 2014 Paul rated it it was amazing
Raucous Mississippi delta comedy/mystery. Fun read.
John
John rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2015
E
E rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2015
Clete
Clete rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2017
Wayne Rhodes
Wayne Rhodes rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2013
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2016
David Beier
David Beier rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Nick Reid (3 books)
  • Ranchero (Nick Reid, #1)
  • Beluga (Nick Reid, #2)