Heirs of the Body (Daisy Dalrymple, #21)

Heirs of the Body (Daisy Dalrymple #21)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  310 ratings  ·  56 reviews
The Daisy Dalrymple series continues in Heirs of the Body—when one of four potential claimants to the title of Lord Dalrymple dies a sudden, nasty death, the question on everyone’s mind is, “was it murder”?

In the late 1920s in England, The Honourable Daisy Dalrymple Fletcher is recruited to help her cousin Edgar — i.e. the Lord Dalrymple. About to turn fifty, Lord Dalrympl...more
Published December 10th 2013 by Minotaur Books (first published December 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Heirs of the Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heirs of the Body

Olga Godim
The latest installment in the Daisy Dalrymple series, this cozy murder mystery was a delight to read. As always, Daisy and her husband Alec Fletcher, the DCI from Scotland Yard, are in the thick of it, but this time, the action takes place too close to Daisy’s heart – in her ancestral home Fairacres. After her father and brother’s death, the estate now belongs to a distant cousin Edward, but unfortunately, he and his wife are childless.
As Edward’s 50th birthday approaches, his lawyer starts loo...more
Anna
The Daisy Dalrymple books are my all-time favourite escapism-and-fluffiness reading: I only discovered them about three years ago, but since then I've worked my way gleefully through all 20 extant novels before having to wait for this one to be written and published.

Of course they're all majorly formulaic: in addition to the description of recurring characters which varies little from book to book*, they nearly always involve a murder** in some upper-class setting***, and while they don't (inten...more
Larraine
The latest in the Daisy Dalrymple series is a fun romp in post WWI Great Britain. Daisy is an "Honorable" but with no money of her own. Her father died without making any provision for her in his will, her elder brother and fiance were both killed in the Great War. Her mother, the dowager Viscountess, lives on the estate that she formerly ruled. Now, Cousin Edgar, a former schoolmaster and his wife, Geraldine, live there. They are pleasant, middle class people who have adapted to their higher es...more
Jackie
Daisy Fletcher is back and this time the mystery is very close to her former home, Fairacres. Cousin Edgar, the current Viscount Dalrymple has realized that it is time to find an heir since he and his wife are not getting one via the traditional method. Heirs of the body seem to be one of the Hot Themes of 2013-2014 as Rhys Bowen has a similar problem in her latest book. Daisy is asked to help go through the list of claimants to help determine which person has the most valid claim. Edward’s lawy...more
Eva
When Daisy’s father, Viscount Dalrymple, died in the flu epidemic, the title (and the money) passed to his distant cousin Edgar. Since Edgar and his wife don’t have any children, they hired a lawyer to find the next heir to the viscountcy. After searching long and wide, in England, Jamaica, and South Africa among other places, several candidates were found and invited to Fairacres, the family seat. Daisy and Alec attend as well – they’ve been asked to use their detective skills to find out which...more
wordsofmystery
When it comes to mysteries I like to mix in some lighter fare with the dark stuff, and for that I usually turn to either cozies or historical mysteries. One of my favourite historical mysteries released in 2013 is Heirs of the Body. Heirs of the Body is the 21st book in the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series and it’s a good one. I love that it's set in the 1920s (one of my favourite decades) and in England because we get to see a bit of what it was like for an English woman back then. Though I think...more
Deb
It is 1927. Daisy has been recruited to help her cousin Edgar identify the next heir to Fairacres, since he and his wife do not have children and Daisy, the last child of the previous earl, cannot inherit the entailed estate. With the help of the family solicitor, several candidates are identified immediately: one is a hotelier from Scarborough, one is a South African diamond merchant and two are from the Caribbean, descendants of Daisy's great grandfather's black sheep younger brother. They all...more
Justine

I picked this up because it was a detective novel set in the 1920s, and on that score it didn't disappoint. The book was entertaining but also occasionally pedantic—do we need to discuss the fee for a telegram in England circa 1920? That being said, ordinarily I would relish this sort of a discussion. The fact that I'm even cognizant (and even disparaging) of these historical quirks is because they broke the narrative rhythm.

Also, part of 'the mystery' in this book was frustratingly obvious. (vi

Victoria Brinius
I loved this book. It was a little hard to understand the relationship between Daisy and her husband. I enjoyed the era the book was set in. The mystery killer had to be found through sleuthing, because there was no DNA. It was interesting that Daisy was allowed in the interviews, etc. because a woman was not usually allowed to do that back then. I am giving this book a 5/5. I was given a copy to review from Night Owl Reviews, however all opinions are my own.
- See more at: http://dealsharingaunt...more
Damaskcat
Daisy Fletcher is asked to get involved in assessing whether or not prospective heirs to what is now her cousin’s estate and title are legitimate. Edgar – the current Viscount Dalrymple – has no children and the estate has to go to the next male heir. Edgar invites the people who believe they are his heir to a house-party to celebrate his own birthday and his solicitor, Tommy Pearson – also a friend of Daisy’s – has to trawl through the paperwork and find out who is the heir.

Daisy and her husban...more
Nicole Gozdek
Rückkehr in die 1920er Jahre: "Heirs of the Body", bereits der 21. Band der historischen Krimireihe "Daisy Dalrymple" von Carola Dunn, versetzt uns wieder in die spannende Zeit, wo Polizeiarbeit noch aus der Befragung von Zeugen, Suche nach Motiven und belastendem Beweismaterial ohne DNA bestand. Das Motiv ist dieses Mal klar: Es geht um das Erbe des Titels Lord Dalrymple und des Anwesens Fairacres. Daisy Cousin Edgar, der nach dem Tod ihres Vaters den Titel erbte, und seine Frau sind nämlich ki...more
Lcitera
I enjoy the DAISY series...it is a return to the comfort of Nancy Drew...disguised for grown ups. I was slightly disappointed at the "mystery" component of this book. Transparent and even for a British Cozy just too easy to solve long before the last page. But how delightful to meet the potential heirs to the family estate. Daisy's long lost relatives are an interesting assortment. Hopefully they will continue to appear on future installments.
Diane Heath
This is latest Daisy Dalrymple story to my knowledge. It is great fun because her cousin Edgar, the current Lord Dalrymple, is searching for his heir. Dalrymples from France, South Africa and Jamaica arrive at Fairacres for a meet and greet reunion on Edgar's birthday. Strange accidents begin to occur leading to at least one dead heir. Which new "cousin" is killing off the competition and whobwill be Edgar's heir?
Kathleen
The latest in the Daisy Dalyrymple series finds Daisy trying to identify the rightful heir to her family’s title and estate. Filled with characters from the past and gentle criticism of England’s holding on to Victorian mores, this is a gentle read. Cousin Edgar’s passion about his study of butterflies and moths, with wonderful research imbedded in the plot, has unexpectedly caught my interest in the last few books. The many details about the small village in England and its inhabitants, the slo...more
Gloria Schwarting
Love the British mysteries. Daisy is like a young hip Mrs. Marple. She is very helpful to her Scotland Yard husband when it comes to solving mysteries. The question of the rightful heir to a childless couple becomes a dangerous proposition. There is enough antics with the young people for lightness, color from the countryside, and a murder thrown in. Quite a nice read.
Judy Tate
The whole Dalrymple clan get together to find the Earl's heir. Edgar has no children and so an heir must be found. Hi-jinks and low-jinks abound and a surprise in who catches the murderer. Lovely story.
Michelle
I always enjoy the Daisy Dalrymple Fletcher mysteries. However, this one was especially fun. Lots of Dalrymple "family" stuff. Belinda and her cousins played a much larger role than usual.
Gloria
This is the first book I have read by this author, but I intend to read many more. It was a very engaging mystery and set in the 1920's made it interesting for the time period as well.
David Marshall
Although this works well as a historical novel, the mystery element is rather weak.

Melissainau
I do enjoy the Daisy Dalrymple series.

The trouble with writing about confusion is that it can easily become confusing. This skirts that boundary but manages, I think, to avoid it.
Diane
another really cute installment in the life of Daisy Fletcher, wife of a copper in '20's England, mom of twins, writer, and solver of crimes!
Avril
I think the series has run out of steam. Although still a very well written and entertaining period piece this story of heirs apparent lacked a vital spark.
Alan Leach
Carola Dunn,s Daisy Dalrymple Series of crime books based in the 1920's make for a nice relaxing read you could let your Granny read
Margaret
A long-running series featuring Daisy Dalrymple, daughter of a viscount, and her husband, Detective Chief Inspector Alec Fletcher. I enjoy the 1920's atmosphere and the way Daisy gets involved in Alec's cases.
Kathy Moberg
Daisy Dalrymple mysteries are reliably enjoyable and entertaining. This one is no exception. I hope Carola Dunn continues the series for years and years to come so we fans can keep the wonderful recurring characters in our lives.
Marjorie
I adore Daisy Dalrymple!! She is adorable! Even though she get involved in murders, her husband being in Scotland Yard makes it more interesting. The scenes change which also contributes to the interest. I like the descriptions of her family life and her mother is a hoot!! I read everything Carola Dunn writes.
Judith
this was a nice comfortable read, they never disappoint, her new series set in Cornwall is just as good.
Laurel
Enjoyed the story, but I think the editor quit part of the way through. There are several glaring mistakes.
Grace
This book suffers the ailment of many long-running series - it's running out of things to say. The mystery was good, but it took a long to get there. I still really like the main characters, but really there was about 100 pages of filler.
Betty
No one thought to worried about who would inherit Fairacres. As Lord Dalrymple's birthday is coming up, he invites the family to Fairacres and plans to announce who will inherit Fairacres. Accidents began to happen. Daisy and Alex can't be sure if there is problem until the death of one of the possible heirs. This is a light amusing story.
  • Death Comes to the Village
  • Murder as a Second Language (Claire Malloy, #19)
  • Rosemary and Crime: A Spice Shop Mystery
  • Behind the Shattered Glass (Lady Emily, #8)
  • The Cat Sitter's Cradle (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #8)
  • Duck the Halls (Meg Langslow, #16)
  • Shadow of the Alchemist (Crispin Guest, #6)
  • The Seventh Trumpet (Sister Fidelma, #23)
  • Pagan Spring (A Max Tudor Mystery, #3)
  • Detroit Shuffle
  • Murder and Mendelssohn (Phryne Fisher #20)
  • Dying In the Wool (Kate Shackleton, #1)
  • An Old Betrayal (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #7)
  • The Impersonator (Roaring Twenties Mystery, #1)
  • Ice Cold Kill
  • Cuts Through Bone: A Mystery
  • Seeking Philbert Woodbead (Fairweather Sisters, #2)
  • City of Darkness and Light (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #13)
Carola Dunn is the author of more than 30 Regency romances, as well as 16 mysteries (the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series is set in England in the 1920s). Ms. Dunn was born and grew up in England, where she got a B.A. in Russian and French from Manchester University. She travelled as far as Fiji before returning to settle in California. After 30 years in the US, she says she still sounds as if she a...more
More about Carola Dunn...
Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1) The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2) Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3) Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4) Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)