Start by marking “Choose Life: Christmas and Easter Sermons in Canterbury Cathedral” as Want to Read:
Choose Life: Christmas and Easter Sermons in Canterbury Cathedral

Choose Life: Christmas and Easter Sermons in Canterbury Cathedral

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  13 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
The addresses that Rowan Williams has given in Canterbury Cathedral for Christmas and Easter are small masterpieces of this kind. They constitute part of Rowan Williams' essential legacy to Christian believers.

With a new introduction by Dr Williams, this is the first time these pieces have appeared in print. Perfect reading material for Lent or Advent.
Published May 9th 2013 by Bloomsbury Continuum (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Choose Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Choose Life

Roy Howard
Jan 06, 2015 Roy Howard rated it really liked it
Rowan Williams, the former Archbishop of Canterbury, is one of the finest theologians of our time. His range of knowledge is astonishing: from literature both ancient and contemporary to neuroscience and Buddhism; and he is capable of bringing a finely tuned theological mind to all of it. His formal works of theology such as the recently published Gifford lectures, The Edge of Words, can be daunting. Yet, for all his theological depth, he is a pastor with an obvious joy in preaching the ...more
Stephen
Mar 08, 2014 Stephen rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the Easter sermons more than the Christmas ones (which were really very good though). P'haps because it's the Lent season...
In any event, I thought these were words of wisdom, truth, and grace. I appreciate Rowan Williams more than I did. Some very good synthesis of many sources.
My favourite Christmas sermon in here is the one titled "The Marriage of Heaven and Earth".
And I'll conclude with this quote from his Easter sermon "Swallowed up in victory", one that typifies his living trus
Sandra
Jan 07, 2014 Sandra rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Preachers
Recommended to Sandra by: Byron Boerger, Hearts & Minds Books
Some great stuff; good inspiration for preaching and for preparing for Christmas and Easter in general. Some of the references are to British current events, and the sermons go back to 2002, but Williams is such a good and clear writer and his insights are so beautiful that I fully enjoyed the sermons and felt ready to write my own Christmas sermon after reading his.
Mike Beranek
Mike Beranek rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Thomas
Thomas rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Russell
Russell rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2013
Benjamin Lowery
Benjamin Lowery rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
M.
M. rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2013
Mr A J McCarthy rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Sheri-lee
Jan 07, 2014 Sheri-lee rated it really liked it
In an understatement, I just enjoyed it.
Connie Price
Connie Price marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2013
John
John marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2013
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2013
Nicola
Nicola is currently reading it
Nov 30, 2013
Kate Davis
Kate Davis marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Beverley Lucas
Beverley Lucas marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Danny
Danny marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Maurits Van stuijvenberg
Maurits Van stuijvenberg marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Devin R
Devin R marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
John Forman
John Forman marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Georgiana
Georgiana marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Tyler Richards
Tyler Richards marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Julie
Julie added it
Nov 25, 2016
Rowan Douglas Williams, Baron Williams of Oystermouth, is an Anglican bishop, poet, and theologian. He was Archbishop of Canterbury from December 2002-2012, and is now Master of Magdalene College, Cambridge and Chancellor of the University of South Wales.
More about Rowan Williams...