Start by marking “Fountain Society” as Want to Read:
Fountain Society

Fountain Society

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  895 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The brilliant Dr. Peter Jance, a Nobel Prize-winning physicist, is only weeks away from succumbing to cancer. But a top-secret government organization known as the Fountain Society gives Peter a new lease on life by transplanting his brain into the body of his much younger clone. When the brand-new Peter becomes disgusted with the immorality of the project and wants out, h ...more
Published October 1st 1999 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Fountain Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fountain Society

Matt Garcia
Apr 21, 2014 Matt Garcia rated it liked it
Fountain Society is an adequate techno thriller written by my favorite horror director. Although it was a decent read, the book tended to feel a bit laborious to get through in the middle section. Wes Craven certainly conducted a thorough amount of research in order to orchestrate this novel however I felt that the scientific jargon employed in the novel, at times, became a bit redundant and cumbersome. The characters were also a bit one dimensional although enjoyable. In summation, a decent thr ...more
Haleth
Si suppone sia un thriller fantascientifico. Dico "si suppone" perchè non sono andata oltre pagina 29.

La lettura procedeva noiosa già dal principio. Quando all'improvviso, a pagina 9:

Vicina all'orgasmo, Elizabeth fu invasa da una strana sensazione: le sembrò di essere la protagonista del Mago di Oz.

Poco dopo, a pagina 29:

A Peter l'aveva detto anche Wolfe: dopo la caduta del muro di Berlino non c'era un politico al mondo a cui importasse qualcosa dei progressi della scienza militare, a meno che c
Katie
Aug 28, 2014 Katie rated it liked it
It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. The story was somewhat predictable in that I knew what was going to happen, but I didn't know HOW it would happen. Some parts are a bit drawn out, but I think he did that to make the story more believable. There was an opportunity for the characters to get much more philosophical than they did, thereby letting us get to know them a little better - which would have been nice. Still, not a bad read. Here are a few excerpts:

"The laws of nature exist because our
Meagan Houle
Apr 17, 2015 Meagan Houle rated it it was ok
This book has a very interesting premise (covers cloning and so on) but that's where it stops for me. The writing was decent, but the characterization was sort of awkward and lacked conviction. The romance between Elizabeth and Peter, especially, was cringe-worthy in places. Bits of it looked like they'd been lifted out of a Harlequin romance. If you're going to have a romance in a book like this, at least free it from any excess goop.
The plot seemed to drag, and even when there was action, it
Aries
Aug 01, 2012 Aries rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Sarò onesto: questo libro non l'ho comprato né mi è stato regalato.L'ho trovato un po' di tempo fa a casa di mio padre (e sa il cavolo dove l'ha preso lui, visto che sono sicuro non lo leggerebbe mai) e l'ho preso su per curiosità, sebbene fossi titubante a causa dell'autore, Wes Craven (sì, quello di Nightmare e Scream), che magari come regista è in gamba, ma come scrittore non avevo la più pallida idea di come potesse essere.Il fatto quindi che partissi prevenuto è stato piuttosto utile: notor ...more
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Apr 08, 2008 tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
Writing these 'reviews' sometimes creates a sortof potential 'meta-review' in my head. I just wrote one about Arthur C. Clarke's "The Fountains of Paradise" wch is shelved next to this bk, "Fountain Society", in my library b/c of "Craven" following "Clarke". Coincidentally, they both have "Fountain" in the title. Maybe I shd write a novel called "Craven Paradise" that's all about the sex life of microbes living on both bk jackets. "The torrid love life of tiny immortal creatures on the elevator ...more
John
Nov 18, 2015 John rated it it was ok
I will go with the "it was okay" review. It felt more like I was reading a screenplay than a novel. The plot was a little far-fetched, but I could have suspended belief it was really gripping. It was not. You can guess the majority of the twists-and-turns before the end. He spent a great amount of time expounding on some of the minor characters and then forgets about them for half the book. Like I said, it is okay, but there are better page-turners out there.
Mark Dubovec
Apr 15, 2016 Mark Dubovec rated it it was ok
Wes Craven, writer and director of some of the best horror movies ever, creates an interesting sci fi scenario but gets bogged down in a predictable run-from-the-government-conspiracy chase plot and one-note, uninteresting characters. The book is at its most interesting when the main character, Dr. Peter Jance, has his brain placed in the body of a younger, healthier clone of himself and begins questioning who he is, but Craven gives away too much too soon, and the reader is left waiting for the ...more
Rita
Aug 08, 2015 Rita rated it really liked it
LOVED IT! I love the movies, etc and was not sure if the book would live up to that. It did! The topic is probably not that new or unique but the book has some twisting and turns that caught me up! I will not say I was on the edge of my seat but I did have an intense drive to see where the book was leading! Great dialogue. Great scenes and description! Refreshingly eerie without being goofy, hoe-hum or forced. Read it.
Andrew
Dec 27, 2013 Andrew rated it liked it
This was another one of my random gambles and I must admit that I quite enjoyed it - the storyline was certainly different and well thought out although once you realised what was going on there were few real surprises. The book I guess owning to its author read easily and with a good pace although I will admit at times the characters did feel like they were falling in to their own stereotypes.
That said the book was fun to read and I would happily recommend it to others who want a thriller to p
Aaron
Jan 25, 2016 Aaron rated it liked it
The master of horror created a book free of scares but more science fiction and romance. A fairly entertaining read for a first time author.
Alanna
Apr 18, 2015 Alanna rated it it was ok
characters ok. predictable
Chris Ramsey
May 28, 2012 Chris Ramsey rated it it was ok
This was Wes Craven's first (not sure if there are others) book. While I love him as a screenwriter (Scream, Nightmare on Elm Street), this book was ok, but nothing to get excited about. I liked the premise of using cloning for the elite to use as a means of living forever, and how the government would look into extending the lives of it's top scientists working on weaponry projects. I just wasn't so sure I really liked the main characters as much as the supporting more peripheral characters.
Carla
Nov 16, 2007 Carla rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: thriller fans
I really enjoyed this book. Doesn't read incredibly like a movie, but it could. "the island" is a sort of Rip from it, I do believe.
Cloning is *always* entertaining for thrill seekers in reading. What about cellular memory? Do they have a Soul?? :D
I had an advance copy, so there were a few spelling errors, but to my knowledge, nothing changed from that print to the final release, with the plot. A fun ride, I'd read it again.
Michael Roop
Mar 15, 2011 Michael Roop rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I love Wes Craven movies. I do, but this book shows that if you crap gold....you still got crap. This isn't entirely a terrible book, but it's not entirely a good book either. It runs pretty mediocre all the way around. The book becomes to convoluted and predictable. A solid first attempt at writing a book from one of the masters of horror I must say, but I'd be happier with a Craven flick than this theater of the mind.
Elden
Apr 10, 2012 Elden rated it really liked it
I decided to read this book because it was written by Wes Craven and I enjoyed his movies. Saying that I quite enjoyed this book. You can tell that he usually writes for movies though as most of the book was written in a way that it could be easily adapted to a movie, which I liked as it made it easier to imagine.
Carol Waters
Dec 02, 2012 Carol Waters rated it it was ok
Nah, not plausible, not all that interesting. He didn't notice the (spoiler) and really happy the author couldn't keep clear why the taxi driver's beloved uncle was on the WRONG SIDE of the war.
Nah. Read it on the plane.

Also what was with that plastic book face? Didn't add much.
Nicolle Drugo
Feb 08, 2013 Nicolle Drugo rated it it was amazing
If you like potentially future telling sci-if, this book is for you. As "out there" as the concept may initially sound, the way the medical field is going, I think in the future this book could be seen as prophetic. I really enjoyed it.
Laurie Stoll
Dec 26, 2013 Laurie Stoll rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Fountain Society is full of intrigue and suspense. This story grabbed my attention and didn't let go. I read this book in one day.
Andy
Feb 27, 2008 Andy rated it liked it
I had a minor obsession with the work of Wes Craven growing up, and although I'm not a fan of sci-fi writing, this book was pretty entertaining. I know you can buy it on the bargain shelves at Borders!
Trina
Aug 30, 2007 Trina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science fiction buffs
Good first attempt for Wes Craven. It was truly a Frankenstein novel. Wes Craven made some improbable leaps to make things come together, I think he underestimated the intelligence of his audience.
David
Apr 30, 2011 David rated it it was ok
Shelves: champagne
Talking book. I liked it, eventually. Had to listen a few times before something clicked and I could get into it.
MELISSA
Feb 23, 2011 MELISSA rated it it was amazing
fantastic story good take on power and human nature , exciting !
Rachel
Feb 16, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok
Sci-Fi Potboiler....predictable but enjoyable and a quick read.
Janet
May 31, 2011 Janet rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
not my kind of book, lent to my sister, she enjoys medical thrillers
Adam
Jun 26, 2012 Adam rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
snooze.................unable to finish.
Robin
Nov 04, 2008 Robin added it
ok book, a little predictable.
Emily King blankenship
Jan 25, 2013 Emily King blankenship rated it it was amazing
Should be made into movie!
Matthew Barron
Mar 05, 2011 Matthew Barron rated it really liked it
Entertaining read...
Ariel McDougal
Ariel McDougal marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
  • Deep as the Marrow
  • The Rip-Off
  • The Astronaut's Wife
  • Asimov's Mysteries
  • Mr. Paradise
  • Hell's Aquarium (MEG #4)
  • Crime Wave: Reportage and Fiction from the Underside of L.A.
  • In the Flesh (Books of Blood #5)
  • The Case Of The Crying Swallow: A Perry Mason Novelette And Other Stories
Wesley Earl "Wes" Craven was an American film director and writer, perhaps best known as the creator of many horror films, including the famed A Nightmare on Elm Street series featuring the iconic Freddy Krueger character and the Scream films.
More about Wes Craven...

“If you continue in this vein, I'll amputate your thumbs and big toes so that you'll reel through the rest of your life like a drunken orangutan.” 2 likes