Start by marking “The Truth About Letting Go (The Truth, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Truth About Letting Go (The Truth, #2)

Read Excerpt

The Truth About Letting Go (The Truth #2)

Ashley Lockett has always followed the rules. She's always done the right thing and played it safe until her ideal life is shattered when her dad dies suddenly.

Fueled by anger and grief, she vows to do everything opposite of how she lived before. Then she meets Jordan. He has big dreams, he's had a crush on Ashley for years, and he's a great kisser. But he's also safe.

Ent
Published February 21st 2013 by Smashwords (first published February 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth About Letting Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth About Letting Go

Kristin (KC)
Mar 03, 2013 Kristin (KC) rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
*4 WONDERFUL YA STARS!*

Wow! What an incredibly breathtaking read! I adore the innocence of Young Adult books and love how they typically transport me back to my youth...but this story was so much more than that. It was honest and raw; filled with faith and heartache—and I loved every minute of it. I was reluctant to see it end and sad to say goodbye to such an amazing cast of characters.

Ashley is a high school senior who is suffering the tragic loss of her father. With a brother who isn't around
kris
Mar 09, 2013 kris rated it liked it
This book was good!

I really enjoy it because it was an easy read and it was exactly what I needed to read after a few intense books.
Unfortunatelly I cant rate it with more than three starts because it didnt blow my mind away.

Ashley

She lost her dad and she is devastated.
Time is a great healer.

She is hopeless and she choses not to believe in god anymore because she thinks he abandoned her.

This made her stronger but firstly it changed her in a bad way.

Jordan
[image error]
They didnt talk to each othe
Ash Wednesday
Jun 18, 2013 Ash Wednesday rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Beta hero fans who doesn't mind a bit of religion in the plot
4 STARS
"There's so much more going on in the world (other) than sex."
"Not when you kiss me."

This genre gets enough pain as it is from me and this month I found myself distancing from it in favor of wizards, succubi and assassin nuns. I never thought I'd see the day when I would have a hankering for a contemporary YA with a blurb hinting at a love-triangle.

And yet here I am, fangirling over Jordan who owns a denim suit, ate glue in grade school and is a Jonas Brother.

But I'm getting ahead of my
Duchess Nicole

This is the story of Ashley, a popular senior in a small-ish high school. But instead of worrying about college and boys and cheerleading and prom, Ashley has spent her senior year with her dying father, watching the once health nut, exuberant man waste away from cancer.

The book starts in the aftermath of the funeral, in which Ashley has to endure well meaning but pointless platitudes. She's in a bit of a fog, and instead of leaning on her brother and mom, Ashley begins replacing her d
Leigh Moore
Jan 24, 2013 Leigh Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
description

My newest contemporary romance is a companion to The Truth About Faking. (It's set in the same town, but with a different cast of characters.) It's a little edgier, more emotional, but it has the same "feel" as its buddy book.

Letting Go is about how one girl handles the loss of her dad. Ashley is angry, and she keeps having the urge to break things. She's got one guy (Jordan) who wants to help her heal and another (Colt) who wants to help her act out. And for the most part, she clings to #2.

She
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews
For this review and more Live Read and Breathe

Live Read and Breathe Giveaway

I had the Truth about Faking it on my TBR list for ever so when I got the chance to read this book I jumped on it. I was in a reading rut and needed a good heartfelt YA book. This book definitely did the trick.

It was a emotional journey for Ashley who suffered a terrible loss which made her questions her belief system in everything from faith, friendships, family and love. When tragic things happen it is so h
Feb 21, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Leigh Talbert Moore.)
17-year-old Ashley has just buried her father, and it seems like she’s never going to stop hurting, never going to get over it, and never going to feel normal again.
Starting back at school seems like both a good and bad idea, but she’s not the same Ashley she was before, gone are the pretty spring dresses she would normally wear, and she no longer wants to be a cheerleader. H
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
This book....this book was amazing and even now, I get all chocked up just thinking about it. It might have torn my heart in two.

I absolutely loved Ashley. I felt for Ashley, my heart ached for her. I am a complete Daddy's girl, so this book just about killed me while reading it and feeling all the feelings I could imagine Ashley was going through.

I wanted to reach through the pages, grab Ashley and just give her the biggest hug imaginable and never let go. I felt her sadness, her despair, her a
Christina White
Mar 13, 2013 Christina White rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is a short and sweet young adult read about loss, grief, faith and love. I think it sends a beautiful message to teenagers about how to deal with tough scenarios like bullying, being honest, sex and faith. I liked the plot, but I wish we would have gotten glimpses of what Ashley's life was like before her dad died. I wanted to mourn her father with her, but I couldn't because I never got to know him. I think the book would have had more of an emotional impact on me if I could have felt that ...more
Steph
Jan 31, 2013 Steph rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was powerful, beautiful, and real, addressing several issues within a great story in a very smooth, uncluttered way. Rarely have I read a book like this one, that felt so real it could be true. I felt a kinship with the teens, especially Ashley as she used self-destructive behavior and distractions to cover up her pain. Her spiritual struggle was also very true to life and understandable in those circumstances. I admire Ms. Moore's inclusion of church, religion, and faith in this ...more
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
More reviews can be seen on my shared blog, Boricuan Bookworms

ARC provided by Publisher via Netgalley

Oh boy. Prepare yourselves, because I am going full-on rant mode with this book.

First of all, I read this book without reading the first one (this is a companion novel, so it doesn’t really matter), so I had no idea what this book was about.

So, we have this 17-year-old called Ashley, and she just lost her dad. At first I felt really sad for her, and I really thought she was legitimately go
Ann-Sophie
Mar 06, 2013 Ann-Sophie rated it did not like it
The summary sounded so promising but sadly I was really disappointed by this book. I didn't like the way the story played out and I didn't really feel any character development... I'm sorry to say this but Ashley's relationships seemed to be very superficial to me. I didn't root for her or anyone.. also I really didn't like her. Everything she did was contradictory. I didn't even feel sorry for her which makes me feel like a bad person but she just annoyed the hell out of me.

As fir Colt's charac
Reading in Black & White
It has been quite some time that I have read a book like The Truth About Letting Go by Leigh Talbert Moore and could understood what the main character was feeling and why they behaved the way they did. Ashley, who is a high school senior, has her world turned upside down when her father dies of cancer. She becomes angry, confused, and no longer believes in God because she had been praying for her dad but he died anyway.

“It’s over,” I whisper. “I don’t believe in you anymore.” This is what Ashle
Lisa (Lost in Literature)
Feb 22, 2013 Lisa (Lost in Literature) rated it it was amazing
** Originally posted on Lost in Literature.

4.5 stars!

This story was not what I expected. I thought it would be more of a sappy love story type of romance, but this was nothing like that. It was more of a gritty and emotional contemporary romance. I'm definitely into that kind of story lately, and this hit the nail on the head. It was so enjoyable and entertaining to read.

After fighting a losing battle with cancer, Ashley's father passes away. Ashley's previously perfect life is instantly changed
Jenna
Mar 21, 2013 Jenna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, favorites
The Truth About Letting Go review take three! Yes, I've tried typing this on my phone using the app 3 times! Every time my connection fails right before I save or try to post it.

THE TRUTH ABOUT this book.... fabulous! It even topped the first and that is really saying something.

In the first book I was really caught up in Harley & Jason's relationship. In this one I was more invested in Ashley & Charlotte's friendship.

Leigh makes up the best book boyfriends. I can't cast the whole book i
Ashley Williams
Mar 04, 2013 Ashley Williams rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
The Truth About Letting Go is a wonderful book on the subject of grief and moving on after loss. LTM does a great job pulling you into Ashley's world of pain and anger. It's so much easier to loose yourself then deal with the anguish. I can't say that I've personally felt the loss of a close loved one, but I can tell you that I'd probably feel the same as Ashley.

Cover and Writing
I really like the cover, its contemporary (my favorite) and kind of whimsical. You wouldn't think that there were some
Mary (BookHounds)
MY THOUGHTS
LOVED IT

Ashley's heart is broken when her father passes away and her perfect world comes tumbling down, at least to her. In her anger, she turns her back on everything and would love to destroy everything that seems false to her now. Charlotte thinks Ashley lives a perfect life and would love to be in her shoes not realizing that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. So Ashley decides to do everything out of her comfort zone. She falls in with the rough and tumble boy, Col
Abbie
Apr 15, 2015 Abbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Actual rating - 3.5

I liked Ashley, and I felt really sorry for her. It's awful to lose someone close to you.
I really wasn't a fan of Colt, but Jordan was completely different, and I really liked him.

I didn't have high hopes for this after reading The Truth About Faking, but I was pleasantly surprised, as it was much better!
Belle
A book about hope. A book about moving forward. A book about learning to not numb the pain, but accept it. A book about finding yourself. A book about learning to open your heart to love.

4/5!!!
Court
Jul 21, 2013 Court rated it really liked it
I reviewed this title at MustReadBooksOrDie with my friend Shelley.

Shel: Courtney and I have read quite a few books focusing on a variation of tragedy, loss, and sadness in the last few weeks so I was a little nervous about reading this; I wasn't sure if I could take another sad read. I'm happy to report that while this story does have some sad moments, I ended up feeling more at peace with the entirety of the novel rather than suicidal.

Court: Hahaha, yes....we've had a few talks bringing us b
Melissa | BookBFF
Feb 19, 2013 Melissa | BookBFF rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemp
Full review at: http://harleybearbookblog.blogspot.co...

Plot 8/10: This book could not have come at a better time in my life personally. If you've been following my blog you know I was recently diagnosed with Crohn's Disease which has put me on bedrest for months. Much like the main character Ashley, who has lost her father in the beginning of the story, I'm left wondering why did this happen to me?

Ashley's journey to understand faith, love, grief, and acceptance really hit home and was almost
Christine
Jun 12, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I received an ebook copy through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Within an hour after finishing THE TRUTH ABOUT LETTING GO, the song "Move Along" by the All-American Rejects played on the radio. It could not have been more perfect to describe what this book is about. "Even when your hope is gone, move along, move along just to make it through." Perfection!

The story opens up right after Ashley's father has died from cancer. Her father was a health and fitness guru and someone you'd nev
Rachmi

I never expected Ashley Lockett will be the subject of book 2 of The Truth series. She only had a few lines on The Truth about Faking. On the sequel of the series, I usually read about someone who is close with main characters of the prequel. So, it kind of surprised me to read about her life since I didn't know about her at all. On the other hand, I think it's a good thing. I didn't have any idea who Ashley is hence I read her story from new eyes and it can be read as a standalone boo
Laura P
Jun 29, 2013 Laura P rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Moore has created a realistic and beautifully crafted story about grief, and the way people work through loss. Full of (mostly) likeable characters, family conflict, and high school drama that we can all relate to, The Truth About Letting Go pulls at the heartstrings and doesn’t let go, even when you’re done reading.

Ashley Lockett’s father has just died from a short, severe, battle with cancer. He seemed perfectly healthy one day, then gone six months later. Ashley is struggling to understand h
Merin
Feb 02, 2013 Merin rated it really liked it
As someone who enjoyed Leigh's first book, The Truth About Faking, I was looking forward to reading its companion, The Truth About Letting Go. This book is set in the same town, but focuses on new characters, so while the names of the previous book's characters are mentioned, it's not necessary to read it first. And while I liked The Truth About Faking, I can honestly say that this book is even better, not only in terms of the plot and characters, but also in the strength of the writing. I reall ...more
Sara
Mar 04, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
This book made me feel so many different emotions. It was a roller coaster for sure. Ashley has recently lost her father, her brother is off at college and she is left with her mother who is never home. With everything she is going through it has made her question things in her life. Ashley has always been part of the "popular" group at school but after two weeks away to cope with her father's death will this still be the case? She has also attended church with her family but does she still beli ...more
Lindsay
Jun 11, 2013 Lindsay rated it really liked it

"I wonder what she'd see in my future. If it would be the same thing I see. I wonder if it would scare her, too."

So this happens to be the second book in the series, and I haven't had the chance to read the first one yet. I don't usually like to jump ahead in a series, but I was assured it could stand alone, so I gave it a shot. I have to admit, if this book were by any other author, I might have passed it by. There are too many contemporary romances to possibly have a chance to read them all.
Christianna Marks
Feb 10, 2013 Christianna Marks rated it it was amazing
This book made me feel so many things during my time with it. It was like an emotional roller coaster. Sometimes I just wanted to get off of it, because it made me sad and other times it took me for a ride that I enjoyed so much. There were times I wanted to cry (ok I might have), times I chuckled at things, times I cringed and times I wanted to tell characters to go take a freaking hike.

The magic of this novel and others by Moore is that she is able to write real, tangible characters that you
Rowena
Oct 08, 2013 Rowena rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
This is the third book by Leigh T. Moore that I’ve read and I’m pretty stoked to say that she keeps getting better and better with each read. I am definitely a fan of her work. This book is about Ashley Lockett’s journey to coming to terms with her father’s death. Her father died of cancer and she’s struggling with her grief and the grief that she doesn’t see her mother or brother showing. She’s angry with God for not answering her prayers to cure her father. She’s angry that her mother has thro ...more
Nicole
First of all, thank you to the author for kindly providing a review copy and then waiting very, very patiently while I took forever to actually get around to writing the promised reviews, because sometimes when I work too many night shifts in a row I decide it’s too much effort to boot up my laptop. (This is why I can’t write nice things!) Anyway. On y va!

TTALG takes place in the same town as The Truth About Faking, with a character we see very briefly in the first book taking the main stage her
  • Found (Penny Black #1)
  • Nets and Lies
  • One Week
  • 4 to 16 Characters
  • Pieces of Lies (Pieces of Lies, #1)
  • Promising Forever (Forever #3)
  • Shattered
  • Totally Tubular
  • Twist of Fate
  • Chasing After Infinity
  • Beautiful Goodbye (Beautiful, #1)
  • In Too Deep
  • Forever Changed
  • Forty Days (Neima's Ark, #1)
  • Dear Cassie (Pretty Amy, #2)
  • No Way Back (Mia's Way, #1)
  • To Love Once Again Is To Love Again (If I Never Knew You, #3)
  • Pieces (The Breakaway, #2)
I'm the hat lady--wife, mom, reader, writer, caffeine addict, chocoholic, southern expat, and beach bum.
*LIKE my Facebook page for daily updates, new release announcements, and sale info!
*SIGN UP for my newsletter for new release announcements! (not spam)
*I LOVE hearing from readers! Send feedback, ask questions, or say hello at leightmoore(at)gmail.com.
*And I share books I think RULE right here
More about Leigh Talbert Moore...

The Truth (2 books)
  • The Truth About Faking (The Truth, #1)

“Go with me." Jordan suddenly reaches over and takes my hand again. I look up, surprised by his boldness. "I know. It doesn't make any sense, but just... just try it."
I stare at him for a second. His eyes aren't all the way blue. They have flecks of brown around the middle, and his lips are slightly full...
"Okay." The word just comes out of my mouth, and I can't believe I agreed to go with him.
"OK!" He smiles.”
7 likes
“He grabs me around the waist, easily lifting me off the floor and through the door to his room. He puts me down, but his arms are still around me. They're warm, and I'm surrounded by the smell of fresh-cut grass, the creek. My eyes travel from his blue shirt to his face, and his expression changes.
"Jordan, I-"
He leans down and cuts me off with a kiss. Soft, warm lips press over mine gently. I only hesitate for half a second before reaching up and weaving my fingers into his hair. I open my mouth, and the flavor of mint grows stronger as our tongues slide together. A burst of energy fills my chest, and suddenly, I'm kissing him again, faster, like I can't get enough. He's keeping pace, and for the first time in months, the painful sadness is gone.”
6 likes