Start by marking “The Truth About Letting Go (The Truth, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Truth About Letting Go (The Truth, #2)
Read Excerpt

The Truth About Letting Go (The Truth #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  613 ratings  ·  137 reviews
Ashley Lockett has always followed the rules. She's always done the right thing and played it safe until her ideal life is shattered when her dad dies suddenly.

Fueled by anger and grief, she vows to do everything opposite of how she lived before. Then she meets Jordan. He has big dreams, he's had a crush on Ashley for years, and he's a great kisser. But he's also safe.

Ent
Published February 21st 2013 by Smashwords (first published February 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth About Letting Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth About Letting Go

Dare You To by Katie McGarryThis is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. SmithJust One Day by Gayle FormanEleanor & Park by Rainbow RowellThe Moon and More by Sarah Dessen
2013 Contemporary YA
88th out of 237 books — 1,462 voters
Easy by Tammara WebberSlammed by Colleen HooverHopeless by Colleen HooverWait for You by J. LynnPoint of Retreat by Colleen Hoover
The Gentlemen of New Adult
51st out of 238 books — 375 voters

More lists with this book...

Kristin (KC)
*4.5 WONDERFUL YA STARS!*

Wow! What an incredibly breathtaking read! I adore the innocence of Young Adult books and love how they typically transport me back to my youth...but this story was so much more than that. It was honest and raw; filled with faith and heartache—and I loved every minute of it. I was reluctant to see it end and sad to say goodbye to such an amazing cast of characters.

Ashley is a high school senior who is suffering the tragic loss of her father. With a brother who isn't arou
kristina
This book was good!

I really enjoy it because it was an easy read and it was exactly what I needed to read after a few intense books.
Unfortunatelly I cant rate it with more than three starts because it didnt blow my mind away.

Ashley

She lost her dad and she is devastated.
Time is a great healer.

She is hopeless and she choses not to believe in god anymore because she thinks he abandoned her.

This made her stronger but firstly it changed her in a bad way.

Jordan
[image error]
They didnt talk to each othe
Ash Wednesday
Jun 30, 2013 Ash Wednesday rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beta hero fans who doesn't mind a bit of religion in the plot
4 STARS
"There's so much more going on in the world (other) than sex."
"Not when you kiss me."

This genre gets enough pain as it is from me and this month I found myself distancing from it in favor of wizards, succubi and assassin nuns. I never thought I'd see the day when I would have a hankering for a contemporary YA with a blurb hinting at a love-triangle.

And yet here I am, fangirling over Jordan who owns a denim suit, ate glue in grade school and is a Jonas Brother.

But I'm getting ahead of my
Duchess Nicole

This is the story of Ashley, a popular senior in a small-ish high school. But instead of worrying about college and boys and cheerleading and prom, Ashley has spent her senior year with her dying father, watching the once health nut, exuberant man waste away from cancer.

The book starts in the aftermath of the funeral, in which Ashley has to endure well meaning but pointless platitudes. She's in a bit of a fog, and instead of leaning on her brother and mom, Ashley begins replacing her d
Leigh Moore
Aug 27, 2013 Leigh Moore rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
description

My newest contemporary romance is a companion to The Truth About Faking. (It's set in the same town, but with a different cast of characters.) It's a little edgier, more emotional, but it has the same "feel" as its buddy book.

Letting Go is about how one girl handles the loss of her dad. Ashley is angry, and she keeps having the urge to break things. She's got one guy (Jordan) who wants to help her heal and another (Colt) who wants to help her act out. And for the most part, she clings to #2.

She
Cora Tea Party Princess
Maybe more of a 3.25 than a 3, but not a 4 in my books - it just wasn't quite my cup of tea. Which is a pity.

First of all, take a look at that cover. All sunshine and love and summer and happiness? No. It's not. The cover is a lie and it meant that what I read was completely different from what I expected. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

It wasn't a bad story, it was a good story, and the characters all seemed to grow (apart from Colt, but more on that later) and there were some sweet moment
Lauren at Live Read and Breathe Reviews
For this review and more Live Read and Breathe

Live Read and Breathe Giveaway

I had the Truth about Faking it on my TBR list for ever so when I got the chance to read this book I jumped on it. I was in a reading rut and needed a good heartfelt YA book. This book definitely did the trick.

It was a emotional journey for Ashley who suffered a terrible loss which made her questions her belief system in everything from faith, friendships, family and love. When tragic things happen it is so h
Steph
Wow. This book was powerful, beautiful, and real, addressing several issues within a great story in a very smooth, uncluttered way. Rarely have I read a book like this one, that felt so real it could be true. I felt a kinship with the teens, especially Ashley as she used self-destructive behavior and distractions to cover up her pain. Her spiritual struggle was also very true to life and understandable in those circumstances. I admire Ms. Moore's inclusion of church, religion, and faith in this ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
This book....this book was amazing and even now, I get all chocked up just thinking about it. It might have torn my heart in two.

I absolutely loved Ashley. I felt for Ashley, my heart ached for her. I am a complete Daddy's girl, so this book just about killed me while reading it and feeling all the feelings I could imagine Ashley was going through.

I wanted to reach through the pages, grab Ashley and just give her the biggest hug imaginable and never let go. I felt her sadness, her despair, her a
Christina White
This is a short and sweet young adult read about loss, grief, faith and love. I think it sends a beautiful message to teenagers about how to deal with tough scenarios like bullying, being honest, sex and faith. I liked the plot, but I wish we would have gotten glimpses of what Ashley's life was like before her dad died. I wanted to mourn her father with her, but I couldn't because I never got to know him. I think the book would have had more of an emotional impact on me if I could have felt that ...more
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Leigh Talbert Moore.)
17-year-old Ashley has just buried her father, and it seems like she’s never going to stop hurting, never going to get over it, and never going to feel normal again.
Starting back at school seems like both a good and bad idea, but she’s not the same Ashley she was before, gone are the pretty spring dresses she would normally wear, and she no longer wants to be a cheerleader. H
Lisa (Lost in Literature)
** Originally posted on Lost in Literature.

4.5 stars!

This story was not what I expected. I thought it would be more of a sappy love story type of romance, but this was nothing like that. It was more of a gritty and emotional contemporary romance. I'm definitely into that kind of story lately, and this hit the nail on the head. It was so enjoyable and entertaining to read.

After fighting a losing battle with cancer, Ashley's father passes away. Ashley's previously perfect life is instantly changed
Mary (BookHounds)
MY THOUGHTS
LOVED IT

Ashley's heart is broken when her father passes away and her perfect world comes tumbling down, at least to her. In her anger, she turns her back on everything and would love to destroy everything that seems false to her now. Charlotte thinks Ashley lives a perfect life and would love to be in her shoes not realizing that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. So Ashley decides to do everything out of her comfort zone. She falls in with the rough and tumble boy, Col
Jenna
The Truth About Letting Go review take three! Yes, I've tried typing this on my phone using the app 3 times! Every time my connection fails right before I save or try to post it.

THE TRUTH ABOUT this book.... fabulous! It even topped the first and that is really saying something.

In the first book I was really caught up in Harley & Jason's relationship. In this one I was more invested in Ashley & Charlotte's friendship.

Leigh makes up the best book boyfriends. I can't cast the whole book i
Reading in Black & White
It has been quite some time that I have read a book like The Truth About Letting Go by Leigh Talbert Moore and could understood what the main character was feeling and why they behaved the way they did. Ashley, who is a high school senior, has her world turned upside down when her father dies of cancer. She becomes angry, confused, and no longer believes in God because she had been praying for her dad but he died anyway.

“It’s over,” I whisper. “I don’t believe in you anymore.” This is what Ashle
Ashley Williams
The Truth About Letting Go is a wonderful book on the subject of grief and moving on after loss. LTM does a great job pulling you into Ashley's world of pain and anger. It's so much easier to loose yourself then deal with the anguish. I can't say that I've personally felt the loss of a close loved one, but I can tell you that I'd probably feel the same as Ashley.

Cover and Writing
I really like the cover, its contemporary (my favorite) and kind of whimsical. You wouldn't think that there were some
Marianne
More reviews can be seen on my shared blog, Boricuan Bookworms

ARC provided by Publisher via Netgalley

Oh boy. Prepare yourselves, because I am going full-on rant mode with this book.

First of all, I read this book without reading the first one (this is a companion novel, so it doesn’t really matter), so I had no idea what this book was about.

So, we have this 17-year-old called Ashley, and she just lost her dad. At first I felt really sad for her, and I really thought she was legitimately go
Ann-Sophie
The summary sounded so promising but sadly I was really disappointed by this book. I didn't like the way the story played out and I didn't really feel any character development... I'm sorry to say this but Ashley's relationships seemed to be very superficial to me. I didn't root for her or anyone.. also I really didn't like her. Everything she did was contradictory. I didn't even feel sorry for her which makes me feel like a bad person but she just annoyed the hell out of me.

As fir Colt's charac
Abbie
Actual rating - 3.5

I liked Ashley, and I felt really sorry for her. It's awful to lose someone close to you.
I really wasn't a fan of Colt, but Jordan was completely different, and I really liked him.

I didn't have high hopes for this after reading The Truth About Faking, but I was pleasantly surprised, as it was much better!
Belinda
A book about hope. A book about moving forward. A book about learning to not numb the pain, but accept it. A book about finding yourself. A book about learning to open your heart to love.

4/5!!!
Kara
Welp, as I'm finding all too common in this YA genre, the pacing in this book is offensively ridiculous. But honestly, that's really my only (albeit serious) gripe with this book.

After Ashley's dad dies - even though he had been sick for months - she is devastated, and is having a hard time getting back to her normal routine. She hardly listens as her BFF drones on and on about the same old cheerleader/prom/boys nonsense. College apps are still to be filled out, and rapidly collecting dust. She'
Nina (The Bookish Confections)
I received an e-copy of this from All Night Reads through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

If you're following my reviews, then you probably know already that I'm a sucker for books with a family member or a close friend dead/dying . So I was so excited to read this one.

From the very start, I already felt how sad Ashley was. I can't blame her, really. But it was just a bit confusing for me since she knew her Dad had such sickness. Basically, she'd be more prepared, right? I'm no exper
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
First I have to say that I LOVED this book. I have read a lot of books where there is religion involved and none have touched me the way TTALG has. When your a teen and you lose someone you care about it is devastating. Your life changes and sometimes not for the good. Can you imagine losing your parent or sibling? Your life feels out of control and not sure which way is up and which way is down. It is a struggle to hold on to your beliefs because the first person blamed after a loved one dies i ...more
Becca (Pretty Little Memoirs)
Almost right away, we're delving into Ashley Lockett's grief and loss. She's feeling every emotion under the sun, and her world is suddenly caving in and shattering everything the had. Ashley was your typical popular cheerleader, who was also super-close to her father...but not so much her mother, not since recently, anyway. The only thing Ashley really has to hold onto in the beginning is Charlotte; a not-so-popular girl from a worlds-apart different clique in school. Even though they're suppos ...more
Melissa
Full review at: http://harleybearbookblog.blogspot.co...

Plot 8/10: This book could not have come at a better time in my life personally. If you've been following my blog you know I was recently diagnosed with Crohn's Disease which has put me on bedrest for months. Much like the main character Ashley, who has lost her father in the beginning of the story, I'm left wondering why did this happen to me?

Ashley's journey to understand faith, love, grief, and acceptance really hit home and was almost
Gabic Reads
Original review on Gabic Reads Review copy received from author -- Thank you!!

The book starts out with Ashley's father's funeral. Ashley is your typical popular cheerleader. She and her father were extremely close. She and her mother, not so much since her father got sick. Then she meets Charlotte. Charlotte is overweight and Ashley's father was her inspiration through his columns on healthy living. Charlotte becomes the only person Ashley can talk to without breaking down.

The first day Ashley r
Naj (Unputdownable Books)
Leigh Talbert Moore always manages to write with a hidden message. This book is no different than her other work. The Truth About Letting Go gives you a sense of hope, tells you never to hide, numb or run away from the pain. But to accept it and let it go. Because that's the only way, you'll ever be able to move on.

Ashley Lockett is a popular, beautiful cheerleader, who went through a life changing tragedy. Her life went from perfect to horrid in the span of 6 months. Now, all she wants to do is
Kate
Since Ashley Lockett’s father got diagnosed with cancer six months ago, she’s felt like the world is a different place – and she’s not quite sure she likes where she fits in. Now, with her dad passing away, her brother in a different city for college and her mother becoming a workaholic, Ashley wants to be someone different. Ditching her cheerleading threads and taking notice of people outside her social circle, Ashley tries to experience what else there is to offer. Even if that includes taking ...more
Lindsay

"I wonder what she'd see in my future. If it would be the same thing I see. I wonder if it would scare her, too."

So this happens to be the second book in the series, and I haven't had the chance to read the first one yet. I don't usually like to jump ahead in a series, but I was assured it could stand alone, so I gave it a shot. I have to admit, if this book were by any other author, I might have passed it by. There are too many contemporary romances to possibly have a chance to read them all.
Chapter by Chapter
This book tore my heart apart! I was literally crying like a baby at one point that I had to put the book down and walk away…I just couldn’t take it anymore! Me and father/daughter books man…I’m telling ya! They get me every time…

Ashley Lockett has lost her father to cancer and she’s having an extremely difficult time with it. Her mother is never home anymore, her brother is off at college, which pretty much leaves Ashley alone to wallow in her pain. Because of this pain, Ashley has decided to c
  • Found (Penny Black #1)
  • Nets and Lies
  • 4 to 16 Characters
  • An Endless Summer (Summer, #2)
  • Twist of Fate
  • Beautiful Goodbye (Beautiful, #1)
  • Promising Forever (The Forever Series, #3)
  • Forever Changed
  • What Endures
  • One Week
  • The Cirque
  • Pieces of Lies (Pieces of Lies, #1)
  • Torn
  • Just Breathe
  • Chasing After Infinity
  • Beside Your Heart (Beside Your Heart, #1)
  • To Love Once Again Is To Love Again (If I Never Knew You, #3)
  • The Stillness of You (Beautifully Damaged, #1)
I'm the hat lady--wife, mom, reader, writer, caffeine addict, chocoholic, southern expat, and beach bum.
*LIKE my Facebook page for daily updates, new release announcements, and sale info!
*SIGN UP for my newsletter for new release announcements! (not spam)
*I LOVE hearing from readers! Send feedback, ask questions, or say hello at leightmoore(at)gmail.com.
*And I share books I think RULE right here
More about Leigh Talbert Moore...

The Truth (2 books)
  • The Truth About Faking (The Truth, #1)
The Truth About Faking (The Truth, #1) Dragonfly (Dragonfly, #1) Watercolor (Dragonfly, #3) Undertow (Dragonfly, #2) Mosaic (Dragonfly, #4)

“Go with me." Jordan suddenly reaches over and takes my hand again. I look up, surprised by his boldness. "I know. It doesn't make any sense, but just... just try it."
I stare at him for a second. His eyes aren't all the way blue. They have flecks of brown around the middle, and his lips are slightly full...
"Okay." The word just comes out of my mouth, and I can't believe I agreed to go with him.
"OK!" He smiles.”
7 likes
“He grabs me around the waist, easily lifting me off the floor and through the door to his room. He puts me down, but his arms are still around me. They're warm, and I'm surrounded by the smell of fresh-cut grass, the creek. My eyes travel from his blue shirt to his face, and his expression changes.
"Jordan, I-"
He leans down and cuts me off with a kiss. Soft, warm lips press over mine gently. I only hesitate for half a second before reaching up and weaving my fingers into his hair. I open my mouth, and the flavor of mint grows stronger as our tongues slide together. A burst of energy fills my chest, and suddenly, I'm kissing him again, faster, like I can't get enough. He's keeping pace, and for the first time in months, the painful sadness is gone.”
6 likes