Start by marking “Proof: A Short Tale of the Undead (The Books of Lost Knowledge)” as Want to Read:
Proof: A Short Tale of the Undead (The Books of Lost Knowledge)

Proof: A Short Tale of the Undead (The Books of Lost Knowledge)

The day Connor cornered me in the library, I thought he was cracked. The day he covered my walls with crosses and filled my apartment with garlic, I thought he was psychotic. The day he killed someone on the floor in my living room, I had no choice but to believe. This is my last confession, the story of the years we spent hunting Them and the mistakes we made. This is my ...more
Published (first published January 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Proof, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Proof

R. Archie
Apr 08, 2013 R. Archie rated it really liked it
I thought it was a good vampire short story. There's a lot going on, but the way it was written everything flowed nicely, and I liked the way it cleanly concluded. An interesting story that you could easily read within an half hour.
Uncapped Pen
Apr 06, 2013 Uncapped Pen rated it really liked it
I give the short story Proof: A Short Tale of the Undead by M.R. Graham four out of five stars for the overall story and her ability to write. To be honest, my expectations were not high when I got an invitation to read the short story for free. It is probably a bias against free Kindle books.
The story itself is a reflection of a veteran vampire hunter written as a letter. It spans the time the narrator first learns of the existence of the undead to the present. The writer speaks of the partne
Damon Wakes
Feb 01, 2013 Damon Wakes rated it liked it
If you're looking for a fun way to fill an hour or so, this may well be it. An entertaining story, ably told, Proof follows a pair of unlikely vampire hunters as what vampire hunters do.

Despite the frequent heart-staking and decapitations, and the overall abundance of nerd-on-nosferatu violence, this is a fairly light-hearted and very easy read that I would thoroughly recommend. It's not fine literature, but then, I think that's a large part of the appeal.

The book is not without
Noelle Blakely
Feb 11, 2013 Noelle Blakely rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews
I loved this story! I am not usually a big fan of shorts, but what a great little read! This story was so well written that my own mind filled in all the details about the multitude of characters and their stories that were barely more than mentioned. With just a hint of what happened to them, I could picture the entire scene. It was like reading a full length novel in an encapsulated form. Certainly Graham could have written all the details for us, but it was really not necessary after she pain ...more
Robert Zimmermann
Sep 09, 2013 Robert Zimmermann rated it really liked it
I was surprised by this short story. I wasn’t totally in love with it, but near the end it pulled itself together for me and I appreciated it even more.

I liked that the story is told as a brief retelling by the narrator about his life hunting “Them” with Connor. While there was a lack detail throughout, due to a brevity explained more near the end, it was just enough to keep me reading along to find out what would happen next.

If you’re looking for a quick read with a little vampire hunting in it
Sharon Stevenson
Feb 07, 2013 Sharon Stevenson rated it it was amazing
'Proof' is a short story about the existence of vampires, with the narrator a reluctant participant in a friend's lifelong obsession.

I read through this within about twenty minutes and it was a nicely creepy little horror yarn with a satisfying and unexpected ending. The character of Connor was the most well defined as the story was basically about him and his need to find and kill vampires. I won't say anymore for fear of giving the ending away but I will say I sympathised easily with the narra
Noree Cosper
Mar 14, 2013 Noree Cosper rated it really liked it
This is a fun little read that takes you through the life of two vampire hunters. It's written as a journal entry, but i think that is some of it's charm. It works since this is a short story and not a novel. I really enjoyed some of the side characters even thoguh their time was very short lived. I'd reccommend this for a short bedtime read, that is if you're not afraid of the dark.
John Dolan
Feb 14, 2013 John Dolan rated it it was amazing
This is a well-thought-through psychological tale,and skillfully executed. Ms Graham carefully ratchets up the tension, drawing the reader step-by-step into the narrator's obsessive and lethal world. I don't usually give five stars for a short story, but this one is worth it. Hats off to M.R. Graham!
Feb 01, 2013 K. rated it it was amazing
A fresh take on the undead. Humankind is damned. All around, THEY are lurking. The final Adam and Eve so to speak are Connor and his girl who have a bittersweet kind of friendship. Zombies ... I dunno. A short story to read between two or three cups of coffee, greatly recommended, food for thought, a tug at the heart.
Sep 07, 2015 Betty rated it really liked it
Connor has always been obsessed with finding proof that there are aliens, undead and such. The day he finds proof changes his life and that of his friend. A well-crafted short story that holds your interest!
Feb 01, 2013 Rach rated it it was amazing
This is a very different read for the Undead. I was pulled in from the start and wanted to keep reading. Its been a while since I have wanted to read anything about the Undead.
Edwina Hall Callan
May 18, 2014 Edwina Hall Callan rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, 2014
I really enjoyed this fast paced short story.
It was a pleasure to read from beginning to end.
Another great short horror story from an author who has become one of my favourites. Great live and undead characters - this would be great expanded into a full novel....hint hint.
Sherri Cortes
Sherri Cortes rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Ryan Van De Walker
Ryan Van De Walker rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2014
stephanie rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Missy Lyons
Missy Lyons rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2013
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2013
M.R. Graham
Jan 23, 2013 M.R. Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jessica Wallace
Jessica Wallace rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2014
Candyland rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Curt Mercer
Jul 04, 2014 Curt Mercer rated it it was amazing
This is a great short story. I read it on my lunch break and enjoyed every minute of it.
Howard Malpas
Howard Malpas rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2013
Boyko Ovcharov
Boyko Ovcharov rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Marea rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2014
Steve rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2014
Roy Huff
Roy Huff rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2013
Morrigan Robbins
Morrigan Robbins rated it it was ok
May 06, 2016
Joe Foley
Joe Foley rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2015
Tominda Adkins
Tominda Adkins rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2013
MR Graham is a native Texan who traces strong cultural roots back to Scotland, Poland, and England. A mild-mannered Latin teacher during the day, Graham transforms at night into a raging Holmesian loremaster and rabid novelist.
Though passionate about all scholarship and academia, Graham's training and true love lies with anthropology, particularly the archaeological branch.
Also, steampunk and vamp
More about M.R. Graham...

The Books of Lost Knowledge (6 books)
  • The Wailing  (The Books of Lost Knowledge)
  • In the Shadow of the Mountains (The Books of Lost Knowledge)
  • The Medium (Liminality, #1)
  • The Mage (Liminality #3)
  • The Mora (Liminality, #2)
  • The Martyr (Liminality #4)