Start by marking “United States History: Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination” as Want to Read:
United States History: Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination

United States History: Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This text is designed for a one-semester or one-year United States history course for students preparing to take the AP U.S. History Exam. Teachers can assign the book as the course textbook or as a supplement to a college-level textbook. U.S. History: Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination presents the history of the United States from pre-Columbian times to the ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Amsco School Publications (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about United States History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about United States History

Carolina Gonzalez
Love it, so good!!!!!! Must read!!!
Bob
In this book, the 2nd amendment states, “the people of the United States have the right to keep and bear arms in a state of militia.” The original wording of the 2nd amendment states, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” Of course, these are two different statements.
This makes this book, and any other book written by this author, suspect when it comes to being factual.

Joshua Camp
This being published is an atrocity. Easy to read, but the authors took the liberty of rewriting much of our history, including the Bill of Rights, in a blatant attempt to devalue what those rights actually mean. No one that cares about history should bother reading this. Will it help you pass a test? Maybe. Let's hope it also makes you question the agenda working against your freedoms.
Mishti Sharma
love of my life
Geetha
This is the best review book you could possibly have for AP US. It is detailed, but not to the point where the material gets dry. The authors clearly want you to only get the facts out of the book. It covers everything that would be seen on the AP exam. They have potential FRQs and a DBQ after each chapter, but I never used them. There is also MC and a practice test (I had to use my teacher's answer key since there was never an answer key in the book).
I read the book twice before the AP exam. R
Arianna
This was my main review book for the AP US History test and I got a 5! Unlike other review books, this book is actually engaging; though it incorporates more information than is perhaps needed, it gives you a good idea of the eras you are studying rather than just listing facts. The multiple choice and essay questions at the end of each chapter are also wonderful. I went through the multiple choice questions as I finished each chapter to solidify my knowledge (using an answer key I found online, ...more
Joshua
For those studying for the AP exam, this can be a great fit when accompanied by a good teacher and lots of MC question practice. I truly think that approach to preparation weighs better than the other AP books that load you with detail. But with a book that tries to simplify the information as much as possible, it left out background information that made understanding a bit more difficult.
Sam
This book is a textbook, but it is not a cold relay of information. This textbook changed my life. I HATED history before I read this book. It was the combination of this book and my enthusiastic APUSH teacher that I now enjoy history. Not only will I pass this exam, but I can honestly say I have learned something. Bravo, AMSCO.
Nia Lambert
Fantastic Review in preparation for the AP national exam. I advise those who decide to get the book to start reading it well in advance because it helps break down subjects in textbooks for tests throughout the year in AP US History as well as a brief, but detailed review for the exam.
Emily
Very helpful in reviewing for the apush test. I made a timeline for the class from 1620 to 2000 (I'm almost done, I promise!) (also: it's not a project, I did it to help me study) and it was super helpful in providing information in an easy to understand manner.
Chloe
May 10, 2011 Chloe added it
My AP Unite States History teacher loaned this book to me prior to the test and boy did it help. It was detailed, yet concise. The only thing that bothered me was that there's no answer key.
Nicole Renee
so helpful in apush.
Gilberto Pena
Gilberto Pena marked it as to-read
Caleb
Caleb is currently reading it
Lauren Vega
Lauren Vega is currently reading it
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Jose
Jose is currently reading it
Oct 28, 2014
Josh Bull
Josh Bull marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
  • A People and a Nation [with Atlas]
  • The Merriam-Webster Dictionary
  • Leadership
  • Official SAT Study Guide
  • Bloodsworth: The True Story of the First Death Row Inmate Exonerated by DNA
  • Thank You for Arguing: What Aristotle, Lincoln, and Homer Simpson Can Teach Us About the Art of Persuasion
  • Bones of Contention: A Creationist Assessment of the Human Fossils
  • Lego Play Book: Ideas to Bring Your Bricks to Life
  • A Question Of Intent: A Great American Battle With A Deadly Industry
  • Dr. Seuss Goes to War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons of Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • Not About Nightingales
  • 30-Second Politics
  • The American Reader: Words That Moved a Nation
  • The Language of Composition: Reading - Writing - Rhetoric
  • The Bible as It Was
  • The Making of Star Wars, Episode I - The Phantom Menace
  • The Art of Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
  • Woodcraft and Camping
American Naturalization Records, 1790-1990: What They Are and How to Use Them Uncle, We Are Ready!: Registering America's Men, 1917 1918: A Guide To Researching World War I Draft Registration Cards An Index to Naturalization Records in Pre-1907 Indiana County Courts