Start by marking “United States History: Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination” as Want to Read:
United States History: Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination

United States History: Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This text is designed for a one-semester or one-year United States history course for students preparing to take the AP U.S. History Exam. Teachers can assign the book as the course textbook or as a supplement to a college-level textbook. U.S. History: Preparing for the Advanced Placement Examination presents the history of the United States from pre-Columbian times to the ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Amsco School Publications (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about United States History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about United States History

Carolina Gonzalez
Love it, so good!!!!!! Must read!!!
Bob
In this book, the 2nd amendment states, “the people of the United States have the right to keep and bear arms in a state of militia.” The original wording of the 2nd amendment states, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” Of course, these are two different statements.
This makes this book, and any other book written by this author, suspect when it comes to being factual.

Joshua Camp
This being published is an atrocity. Easy to read, but the authors took the liberty of rewriting much of our history, including the Bill of Rights, in a blatant attempt to devalue what those rights actually mean. No one that cares about history should bother reading this. Will it help you pass a test? Maybe. Let's hope it also makes you question the agenda working against your freedoms.
Hiba
A few thoughts:

1. Holy grail of AP United States History for a reason. Exactly the curriculum for the SAT II test as well.

2. Extremely readable and concise. More detail than a lot of "brief US history" books which is necessary for the AP.

3. Apparently there was some controversy over the wording of the 2nd amendment in this book, leading to a flood of 1-star/bad reviews on Goodreads, Amazon, and other platforms. Ignore these.

4. Honestly the best concise/yet detailed guide of US History. Buy it AS
Geetha
This is the best review book you could possibly have for AP US. It is detailed, but not to the point where the material gets dry. The authors clearly want you to only get the facts out of the book. It covers everything that would be seen on the AP exam. They have potential FRQs and a DBQ after each chapter, but I never used them. There is also MC and a practice test (I had to use my teacher's answer key since there was never an answer key in the book).
I read the book twice before the AP exam. R
Arianna
This was my main review book for the AP US History test and I got a 5! Unlike other review books, this book is actually engaging; though it incorporates more information than is perhaps needed, it gives you a good idea of the eras you are studying rather than just listing facts. The multiple choice and essay questions at the end of each chapter are also wonderful. I went through the multiple choice questions as I finished each chapter to solidify my knowledge (using an answer key I found online, ...more
Kirstyn
I really need a hardcover version of this book..
Ninoshkka
I still think I flunked that exam though
Joshua
For those studying for the AP exam, this can be a great fit when accompanied by a good teacher and lots of MC question practice. I truly think that approach to preparation weighs better than the other AP books that load you with detail. But with a book that tries to simplify the information as much as possible, it left out background information that made understanding a bit more difficult.
Sam
This book is a textbook, but it is not a cold relay of information. This textbook changed my life. I HATED history before I read this book. It was the combination of this book and my enthusiastic APUSH teacher that I now enjoy history. Not only will I pass this exam, but I can honestly say I have learned something. Bravo, AMSCO.
Nia Lambert
Fantastic Review in preparation for the AP national exam. I advise those who decide to get the book to start reading it well in advance because it helps break down subjects in textbooks for tests throughout the year in AP US History as well as a brief, but detailed review for the exam.
Emily
Very helpful in reviewing for the apush test. I made a timeline for the class from 1620 to 2000 (I'm almost done, I promise!) (also: it's not a project, I did it to help me study) and it was super helpful in providing information in an easy to understand manner.
Chloe
May 10, 2011 Chloe added it
My AP Unite States History teacher loaned this book to me prior to the test and boy did it help. It was detailed, yet concise. The only thing that bothered me was that there's no answer key.
Nicole Renee
so helpful in apush.
Mrdorrough
Mrdorrough marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Elysa Fundora
Elysa Fundora marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Hayden Anderson Rowe
Hayden Anderson Rowe is currently reading it
May 04, 2015
Priscilla Moreno
Priscilla Moreno marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Real ACT Prep Guide [with CD]
  • A People and a Nation [with Atlas]
  • Historical Thinking and Other Unnatural Acts: Charting the Future of Teaching the Past (Critical Perspectives on the Past)
  • Official SAT Study Guide
  • The Merriam-Webster Dictionary
  • Bloodsworth: The True Story of the First Death Row Inmate Exonerated by DNA
  • Leadership
  • The Great New Orleans Kidnapping Case: Race, Law, and Justice in the Reconstruction Era
  • Evangelicalism Divided: A Record of Crucial Change in the Years 1950 to 2000
  • Public Speaking for Dummies
  • Origins of the New South, 1877-1913
  • Bones of Contention: A Creationist Assessment of the Human Fossils
  • The Language of Composition: Reading - Writing - Rhetoric
  • Woodcraft and Camping
  • The Making of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
  • Scientific Facts in the Bible: 100 Reasons to Believe the Bible is Supernatural in Origin
  • Business Communication: Process and Product
  • Four Comedies: The Taming of the Shrew, a Midsummer Night's Dream, the Merchant of Venice, Twelfth Night
American Naturalization Records, 1790-1990: What They Are and How to Use Them Uncle, We Are Ready!: Registering America's Men, 1917 1918: A Guide To Researching World War I Draft Registration Cards An Index to Naturalization Records in Pre-1907 Indiana County Courts