Start by marking “Broken at Love (Whitman University, #1)” as Want to Read:
Broken at Love (Whitman University, #1)
read excerpt

Broken at Love (Whitman University #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  7,498 ratings  ·  530 reviews
When a knee injury ends twenty-year-old Quinn Rowland’s pro tennis career, he’s not only dumped by his hot Russian girlfriend but ordered to attend college by his disinterested billionaire father. A rich kid who’s not used to being disappointed by life, Quinn and his sociopathic half-brother Sebastian create a frat house game intended to treat girls how they see them—as si ...more
Published March 12th 2013 by Createspace (first published March 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Broken at Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken at Love

Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuireWait for You by J. LynnThe Coincidence of Callie & Kayden by Jessica SorensenNever Too Far by Abbi GlinesLosing It by Cora Carmack
NEW ADULT 2013
141st out of 1,294 books — 3,610 voters
Wait for You by J. LynnThe Edge of Never by J.A. RedmerskiBroken at Love by Lyla PayneOne Week Girlfriend by Monica  MurphyElsker by S.T. Bende
New Adult Novels
3rd out of 68 books — 55 voters

More lists with this book...

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
★★★★★! Broken at Love, stand-alone book 1 in Whitman College series. Handsome, jaded, privileged, beyond damaged Quinn plays sinister seduction games until he meets Emilie. This is their story of seduction, redemption and love!

At first glance it’s a game of sinister seduction masterminded by Quinn’s psychotic half-brother perpetuated by his need for revenge for the people who didn’t want him; his pare
Jamie~Book Boyfriend Ho♥

OK.. I know this book has received lots of great reviews and several of my GR friends that I normally share the same feelings with on books really liked this one. But for me.. nope. Not even a little bit. I forced myself to finish this one.. Quinn was a total dick that I was not even mildly attracted to. Not manly, not alpha, just a pissy little prick playing a sex game that was pretty dumb.. not even interesting.. and the play was the same for each girl which didnt make sense. Some of these gir
Jen
While I did end up liking this book eventually, by the time I got around to realizing there might actually be a decent human being lurking somewhere waaaay deep down in Quinn, it was a case of too little, too late. The douchiness in this one is strong! Yes, I realize he never got daddy's love and approval but honestly that excuse only flies for so long.

"I fell in love with you completely by accident, Quinn. But I can't stop now."

Other times I just wanted to shake Emilie and say "DON'T BE THAT
Marina

Quinn.

Truer words were never spoken.

So suppose you were some sort of tennis prodigy and with one nice, pathetic joke of fate, you find yourself:

1. stripped of your life's dream
2. a degree lower than caterpillars by your father
3. dumped and humiliated by the person you're with, who, by the way, gets to continue the same dream you had.

The most probable reaction would be to:

Yeah, that about sums it up.

However, our boy here, along with his brother who is basically the evil mastermind, has
Aria (The Whimsical Reader)
“You started out as a player—a very beautiful and intriguing player—in Sebastian’s game, Emilie. But I lied at the house the other day. Everything that happened between us was true after the circumstances of our meeting.”

I seriously thought I wasn't going to enjoy this book.

This was me during the first part of the book:

Majority of it I was like this:

But towards the ending it was:

I loved the story.
I loved the characters.
I loved how it wasn't really hurried but it wasn't really that fast either.
An
Alessandra Thomas
Quinn Rowland is damaged goods - in more ways than one. College is the last place he wants to be after an injury left him unable to play tennis, and he drowns his sorrows in alcohol, hosting invite-only parties, and betting his half brother that he can shatter girls' hearts in two weeks or less.

Yeah. "Jerk" is putting it mildly.

When his brother tags Emelie as Quinn's next target, he goes through the motions - spill a drink on her dress, get her naked, win her over with his stunning abilities b
 ♥  Barb ♥
4 stars for the Sexy as Hell... QUINN

[image error]

SEX and FEELINGS.
SHAME and REGRET.
THAT was the GAME.

"I want YOU inside ME....NOT your fingers OR your tongue. YOU."

Hot, sexy, rich, Quinn is used to getting everything he wants whenvever he wants it....except LOVE. Quinn and his creepy half-brother are in college and playing a GAME with many unsuspecting women. Quinn has to get them in his bed within 2 weeks and after that...he dumps them without as much as a second glance. Well, that is until
Jess - A is for Alpha B is for Books

Ladies, ladies, ladies….

THE biggest Jerk award goes to Quinn Motherfucking Rowland...

I kid you not this sexy Ass Douche is the biggest,

description

I don't know if I want to rip his clothes off or kick him the balls!

GAME.
SET.
MATCH.

It's all just a game to him.

Game
Choose the girl, set the plan.

Set
Seduce her, sleep with her.

Match
Get her attached, Break her.

Twenty-year-old Quinn Rowland’s pro tennis career is over.
Then he’s not only dumped by his hot Russian girlfriend but ordered to attend college by h
♥~♥Geri ~ the HEA junkie ♥~♥
4.5 stars!!

This book reminded me a little of "Cruel Intentions." Remember that movie? This one had sort of a similar idea except that I'm pretty sure Quinn Rowland is hotter than Ryan Phillipe and Emilie Swanson is way sassier than Reese Witherspoon. I was in the mood for some angst and I got it! I totally devoured this whole book.

But enough of that. This book takes cruel into a whole new level, and Quinn Rowland is set up to the kind of guy your mother warned you to stay away from. He was hands
Lisa Jayne
This book had all the usual ingredients to keep me hooked and entertained. So why did I keep getting distracted and stop reading to start other books? Short answer is ~ I'm not sure.

What to expect from this story is as follows, college student age characters. Pretty female lead, likeable and grounded. Overly gorgeous leading male character with daddy issues. Said boy and girl get involved in a cat and mouse tale of love. One wild, misunderstood (in this case) arse-hole character falls for good g
LethalLovely~This City's Made Us Crazy & We Must Get Out
"It hurt a little that she looked happy to see me, when I only came to break her."

That wonderful quote was said by our hero Quinn, a 20-y former tennis superstar. Because his mother abandoned him, his daddy doesn't love him, his girlfriend broke up with him & his career in tennis is ruined, he's decided the best way to go all "VENGEANCE IS MINE, BITCHEZ!" is to break the hearts of the female population at Whitman Uni.

description

THE FUCK kind of drugs are you taking to come up with a plan to get back at
Lindsay
I’ve had this book on my mind since I first heard about it. It stuck with me. Lol, I even forgot the title of it but the description stuck with me and bugged me because I couldn’t remember which book it was. Then, miracle of miracles, I came across it during a search for my next book. I think I did a happy dance, but I knew right away that I was starting it right away. And less than 24 hours later, I was done with it.

I really enjoyed this book. Quinn was the definition of bad boy. But he was al
Jennifer Iacopelli
A story of an unexpected connection, forged out of the most unlikely of circumstances, Broken at Love is sexy, engaging and unputdownable! Emilie and Quinn sizzle on the page. A new adult title not to be missed! GO! GO! Buy it now!
Karla (Reads and Thoughts)
They were both a jumble of broken pieces.
When circumstances winds them up in each other the tension and attraction is undeniable. But there are secrets and changes that couldn’t be easily made.
Would they end up still a jumble of broken pieces or will they finally find the way into fixing up those broken pieces?

---

At this moment, I already read my fair share of New Adult books. Some of them blew me away, some I like and some other I don’t even know what to say. Most of the books I've read from th
Denise Grover Swank
One of the best NA books I've read, hands down.

Quinn Rowland is complex, emotionally scarred protagonist who has met his match when he literally stumbles into Emilie Swanson at one of his famous parties. The stumble may have been intentional, but everything else that transpires goes against everything Quinn has planned. Emilie isn't easily snowed like all the other girls.

Emilie can't help noticing how gorgeous Quinn is(as she says, she hasn't had her hormones removed)but she sees something else
Saunders
The last think Quinn Rowland wants to see was the hottest Russian tennis player answering post match questions, bathed in a post match glow. Quinn had seen that glow up close and personal, with substantially less clothing to hide it.

The memory of being dumped by Alexandria Ikanova flowed through his brain he brought himself back to the “game in hand” the frat house party where he and his sociopath brother, Sebastian manipulated girls for their pleasure. Sex and feelings, shame and regret, that w
Chrystal
4 Stars to Broken at Love

I have been putting this book off because of mixed reviews of our hero, Quinn. Maybe it was because I just finished a disgustingly sweet book that a Jerk hero is exactly what I needed to end my day. But honestly, throughout the book, I didn't think he was that bad. He could have been a lot of worse.

Yes, Quinn was an Ass. And I would never be one of the, many, women that followed him up the stairs. I hated him in the beginning. The story reminded me of a twisted Cruel In
Sara
Hot damn this book reminded me of the movie Cruel Intentions. Quinn was the ex pro tennis player, now a college boy who was involved in a nasty game with his half brother Sebastian. They really were scum bags when it came to this game. Emilie was a art student at the same school and she was tossed in to their web. Only she was actually a much different girl than all the others and Quinn was in trouble. Poor Quinn, to go through 20 years of never being loved, how can you not be fucked up?? Ruby w ...more
Lyla Payne
Mar 09, 2013 Lyla Payne added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hey guys!

So BROKEN AT LOVE is out a couple of days early, and I'm so, SO excited (and terrified) to share it with everyone! I can't wait to hear what you think of Quinn and Emilie!

Here are the buy links (it's available on all formats except iTunes, which is still pending but should be up soon).

Happy Reading!

xoxo

Lyla
Ava ~ BiblioBelles
*I received an eARC of this book in exchange for my honest review*

I gave Broken at Love 3.5 stars

Broken at Love had been on my TBR for a while after I’d discovered it by chance via twitter. So I was thrilled when I was given the opportunity to read it before release day.

We meet Quinn a 20yr old ex tennis player feeling lost and shattered after being forced into retirement due to a knee injury. He has been sent back to college by his uber rich dad much to his own chagrin. With only his half-broth
Laci
This book is why I read and where I live. It has my cocky hero, my strong heroine, some steam, well written and a plot, what more could I ask for. Nothing.... Loved It!!!!!
Lisa (A Life Bound By Books)
I devoured this book in almost one sitting. Seriously good! Had my favorite - dual point of views! Also talk about a broken bad boy?! Wow! Review to follow for the blog tour.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
3.5 Stars

No, your eyes are not deceiving you. I did read a so-called "New Adult" novel, and not even one that's trying to actually make NA a real age grouping rather than just a sub-genre of romance. Broken at Love is a straight-up romance set in college, complete with the super-experienced guy that every single straight woman in the world wants to sleep with. Even weirder, I liked it.

Broken at Love doesn't bring anything new to the table. Romance plot lines have been done to death, and I didn'
Kim Person
Quinn Rowland was at the TOP of his game a year ago when he participated in all the major tennis tournaments. A career ending knee injury leads Quinn to participate in a different "game" centered around tennis, well in a way, and a game that will have you wanting to do this to him.......................................................

The game concocted by his psycho half-brother Sebastian usually works and Quinn gets the "top-seed" and he's never lost and he's never been told "no". See Quinn is
Jaime Arkin
4.5 stars!

Let me just first say that you may hate Quinn Rowland... but you probably won't feel that way forever.

Quinn Rowland has issues ... and that's putting it lightly. When a knee injury forces his early retirement from tennis, his famous girlfriend dumps him, and his father forces him to attend college he isn't sure what he's going to do with his life. Now, he's surrounded by frat brothers, alcohol and his crazy ass half-brother. To pass the time, the boys have created a game that revolve
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Buddy Read with my BBG!

No cliffhanger and a HEA, just putting that out there so no one will think I am spoiling anything.

God! This is one of those books where you know you are supposed to hate the guy. Like, he has no hope of redemption, he is just too awful for any type of forgiveness but you love him down to your toes anyway. Quinn is not a good guy. He is mean, spiteful and almost a little evil. Emile brought him to his knees but it still didn't change who he was, well, not completely. Uggh
MissyGirl
A absolute page-turner that was filled with so many emotions! Emilie put up with so much (more than I would have), but I still rooted for her determination throughout the book. Yes, Quinn was a jerk, but I also rooted for him as I could understand why he was that way. Besides all that, there were plenty of deliciously sexy moments/scenes and interesting secondary characters who were great additions to the story! I am anxiously awaiting the next book in the series!!!!

Copy provided by the author i
Booknut
Moral of this tale: all men are blind, foolish idiots who need to lose the girl numerous times and go through tonnes of shit in order to get it through their thick heads that they are in love. And that the hot ones are always the most stuffed up!
Kenya Wright
This was good old addictive college crack. I lost sleep reading this.i really loved the heroine. She wasn't stupid. She came off strong and didn't take any shit from the hero. This one is probably in my top five of college romances right now.
Christine
I have a problem with books where the girl is trying to help and make the guy "see" how much he cares for her. The guy is suppose to do the chasing especially when he has done something wrong. This is just my opinion.
Game of Seduction 3 27 Mar 14, 2014 07:22AM
We ♥ Books: April group reads - Broken at Love by Lyla Payne 6 22 Apr 11, 2013 10:14AM
  • It Was You (Abby and West, #1)
  • The Stillness of You (Beautifully Damaged, #1)
  • The Love Game (The Game, #1)
  • Before You Go (Before You Go, #1)
  • Stripped (Stripped, #1)
  • After Math (Off the Subject, #1)
  • Give Me Something (Give Me Something, #1)
  • Subject to Change (Picturing Perfect, #2)
  • Love Me for Me (Safe Haven, #1)
  • Love and Relativity
  • Toxic (Better Than You, #1)
  • Bet in the Dark (In the Dark, #1)
  • Unbroken (Beachwood Bay, #1)
  • For Everly
  • Exposure (East Park, #1)
  • Lost (Lost & Found, #1)
  • Strength (Mark of Nexus, #1)
  • Off Sides (Off, #1)
I've been publishing New Adult romance novels for a little over a year, starting with Broken at Love and continuing with the rest of the Whitman University series. I adore telling stories, discovering the little reasons people fall in love, and uncovering hidden truths in the world around us – past and present.

In my spare time I cuddle my two dogs, pretend to enjoy exercising so that I can eat as
More about Lyla Payne...

Whitman University (5 books)
  • By Referral Only (Whitman University, #2)
  • Be My Downfall (Whitman University, #3)
  • Staying on Top (Whitman University, #4)
  • Living the Dream (Whitman University, #5)
By Referral Only (Whitman University, #2) Be My Downfall (Whitman University, #3) Staying on Top (Whitman University, #4) Living the Dream (Whitman University, #5) Not Quite Dead (A Lowcountry Ghost Story, #1)

“I’m afraid you’re going to break me, Quinn.”
“Don’t let me.” The challenge in his eyes intensified, heating up and pouring strength into me. “Don’t you let me fucking do that, Emilie. Don’t let anyone break you. You’re stronger than that.”
13 likes
“It had to be her heart, too, or I lose. Sex and feelings. Shame and regret. That was the game.” 12 likes