Start by marking “Breathe” as Want to Read:
Breathe

Breathe

Alex thought she had married the man of her dreams: successful, gorgeous, and delighted by her small-town charm. When he walks out six months later, proclaiming to have 'found himself' (with the help of a stunning yoga teacher), she 'finds herself' alone in an unfamiliar city, vengefully drinking through his prized wine collection, living on takeout, and refusing to answer ...more
Published January 22nd 2013 by Diversion Books

To ask other readers questions about Breathe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breathe

Tzippy
If you think that the only people who are more despicable than people who use store-bought eggs are people who do yoga and then go shopping right afterwards, this is the book for you!

...

So this is a book about yoga.

I knew that going into it, but I had no idea how proselytizing it would be.

Alex has been married to Tripp for six months when he gets really into yoga and walks out on her because she's not "enlightened" enough. Also, he implies that he's been cheating on her with his yoga instructor.
Lisa B.
Jan 27, 2013 Lisa B. rated it really liked it
My Thoughts

This was so darn cute. As someone who practices yoga, I really enjoyed this tie in to the storyline. I thought the author wrote a light,funny and fresh tale. The book was a fast read and a very nice break from some of the “heavier” books I have read recently.

This is a debut for Ms. Bishop and I have to tell you, it reads as if written by a seasoned novelist. Good flow and nicely entertaining. Congratulations to the author for a job well done and I will be looking forward to future sto
Rachel Burton
Mar 01, 2017 Rachel Burton rated it it was ok
I love yoga. You know I love yoga. It's pretty much the most important thing in my life.

And I love romcom/chicklit books.

But put them together & I'm never sure it works. Thus book showed a side of yoga I don't love. I get its the populist side of yoga but it felt, at times, cultish & our heroine seemed to become rather weak and easily walked over in the name of enlightenment.

Not for me I guess.
Kathleen
Jun 03, 2013 Kathleen rated it really liked it
What's a girl to do when a whirlwind romance of five months leads to marriage only to end six months later when her husband leaves her for his yoga instructor?

When twenty-five year old Alex met forty year old Tripp Edwards at an Oregon ski resort, she was swept off her feet by the man of her dreams. But her world got turned upside down six short months later when Tripp walks out on her after finding his "Authentic Self" and true path in life through the practice of yoga. Alex is heartbroken and
Jeannie Zelos
Jan 24, 2013 Jeannie Zelos rated it it was amazing
Breathe Kate Bishop.

Saw this via netgalley but being a tech nerd couldn't work out how to get it to my kindle but it appealed so I bought it and read it that way! Sometimes the PC wins – yesterday was one of those days....

Anyway – on with the book. I'm a sucker for a good romance with a decent back story and wasn't disappointed. Alex thought she was happily married to the man of her dreams, but only six months after the wedding he walks out after a yoga retreat to “find himself” Poor Kate is de
Marianne
Jan 30, 2013 Marianne rated it it was amazing

I really enjoyed this book – it was the first time I have ever read a book about yoga and I am glad that I picked this story.

It is a love story, of recovery after divorce and discovering one’s destiny. The yoga factor played an important role in the heroines healing because it helped her learn to relax and cope with her life, despite her initial negative feelings about the process.

The reason I found this book interesting (other than the engaging love story) was I have often wondered about the
Sally906
Jan 30, 2013 Sally906 rated it really liked it
Having got a friend who had a longtime relationship end due to her fiancé getting totally involved in yoga (but not the yoga teacher though), I could totally relate to the scenario. This can really happen folks!! While the art and benefits of yoga is a major component of the story – the actual plot looks at how Alex dealt with the breakup and the steps she took, albeit kicking and screaming, to recovering her life back. When Tripp leaves her Alex has no job; little money thanks to a pre-nup she ...more
Step Into Fiction
Jun 26, 2013 Step Into Fiction rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ashley
I decided to read this book as it was something different from what I usually read and I wanted to see what did happen to the character Alex, from the synopsis, it sounds like she has been through the ringer. I was hooked right away. You feel like you are Alex and you feel her heartache and confusion and pain. She is very easy to connect with and you go on this journey with her.

The life that Alex has for a year was a life I do feel a lot of us dream of having, but sometimes your dreams are not w
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Samantha March
May 15, 2013 Samantha March rated it it was amazing
Kate Bishop is now on tour with CLP Blog Tours and Breathe

As a yoga practicer myself, I knew I would be able to connect with this book. I am also close in age to Alex, our main character, and she was so relatable that it was easy to get sucked into her story. Breathe is quite the page-turner, and it took me just over a day to finish this read. After Alex’s husband walks out on her and her evil mother-in-law callously evicts her from their home, Alex feels lost and confused. I loved that she is f
Sabra
Jul 22, 2014 Sabra rated it liked it
At first I thought this book was a little light and fluffy. I was chastising myself for not reading something deeper. But as I went along I started to see familiar patterns in myself and gained some insight from the book about them. In the end I decided it was more like an instruction manual for living yoga and there were lessons learned by me.
Spellcheck
May 17, 2013 Spellcheck rated it liked it
I felt like I was reading a thinly disguised religious tract, only this was all about yoga and its transformative powers. Don't get me wrong, I love yoga. I just don't appreciate an author shoving his/her ideology down my throat.
Lisa Gleason
Feb 24, 2013 Lisa Gleason rated it it was amazing
Absolutely LOVE this story! It was just what I needed! Great characters!
Sharon
Jun 07, 2017 Sharon rated it liked it
Entertaining. I wish I had the ability to make friends as easily as her. I mean who really gets invited to the "in" teacher's house for dinner? The ending was weak, when her ex comes crawling back and says he didn't actually sleep with yoga girl. What? Still, it was a fun read.
Chrissy
Mar 20, 2013 Chrissy rated it really liked it
He left the next morning for what I thought was a business trip in Atlanta. Initially, Trip didn't correct me, but eventually he confessed that it was, in fact, a retreat. A spiritual retreat: yoga, meditation, healing... And as unenlightened as it sounds, I felt like he was cheating on me. With himself.

Alex is whisked off her feet when she meets Tripp, wound up in a whirlwind romance that leads to a proposal after three months and a wedding only two months after that. While Alex is a country
Nakeesha
Feb 15, 2013 Nakeesha rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Delightful! This book had its issues, but if you love a good character development plot, you forgave the TSTL (too stupid to live) moments and bouts of BMs (big misunderstandings).

When the book opens, Alex's marriage is about to implode. We are caught in medias res of the emotional turmoil that has her spiraling towards the depths of despair. It was visceral, palatable! A train wreck that she refuses to abandon, and you could not look away from. As a reader, you immediately took her side and wis
Sarah Von
Feb 14, 2013 Sarah Von rated it it was amazing
I finished Breathe on Saturday! What a terrific, engaging, FUN story.

It's a wonderful book -- smart, fun, funny, sexy, and romantic. And importantly, it manages to be both sexy and romantic without being a book you are embarrassed to admit you are reading! I also like the fact that the main character in the book, Alex, manages to confront some devastating set backs by finding her stronger, more self-aware, and self-reliant self -- as opposed to by becoming vengeful and mean.

The minute I started
Ashley Byland
May 26, 2013 Ashley Byland rated it it was amazing

Michelle
May 02, 2013 Michelle rated it liked it
Recommends it for: chick lit readers, women who like yoga
Recommended to Michelle by: found it on Amazon when looking for yoga fiction
Shelves: yoga-fiction
I wasn't sure what to think when I bought this on Kindle because it sounded like "chick lit." Well, yes, it is, but the yoga influence is strong. There was enough story line and character development for me to overlook that this was chick lit and made it a very quick and enjoyable read.

It takes place in Marin, San Francisco and Oregon, very appealing places. Several characters are developed well enough to keep it entertaining.

The main character starts out as a silly 25-year-old, trying to find
Lisa
Jan 30, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley for letting me preview this book.

Normally I would have found this book really cheesy but considering that I just started doing Bikram yoga a few months ago, I totally get it. Alex's husband of less than a year up and leaves her one day after starting a love affair with yoga, and, she thinks, a yoga instructor. Alex is 25 and living the high life with a wealthy husband and has a dragon of a mother-in-law. No kids, thank goodness.

Thus begins Alex's transformation from young wan
Becca Chopra
Sep 07, 2013 Becca Chopra rated it it was amazing
I wasn't initially pulled into the story, as the heroine Alex wallows in misery after her husband leaves her (for his yoga teacher it is assumed). But, since I was stuck on a plane during my yoga tour this summer, I kept turning my Kindle pages until I couldn't put the device down. Once "Oregon," as she is nicknamed by someone who sees her for who she is -- the down-to-earth cowgirl from a ranch in Oregon, rather than a rich Marin socialite wannabe -- decides to take the yoga path, I was totally ...more
Aglaea
Others before me have mentioned the shopping after yoga class. Talk about being judgemental there... Just because someone happens to shop then, does it mean they don't do anything good for the community? No volunteering? Are they mean, rude people, too? Ever heard of the fact that is something supports you in fulfilling your dharma, it's all good?

And perfect bendy asanas after two months of practice? Come on, that is unrealistic for the most of us. People who try too much too soon end up at the
Rachel
Sep 01, 2014 Rachel rated it it was ok
I went into this book apprehensive...but also with low expectations knowing that it was a no-brainer read. As far as the non-yoga storyline went, it met expectations...enjoyable, light read. but it was the yoga portion that I had trouble with. I've been on sort of a personal growth journey using yoga as a tool and maybe that's why I had to roll my eyes throughout. It seemed very cliche in part and in part, I think it maybe made light of some things that are pretty serious to the yoga teachers I ...more
Peggy
Apr 30, 2013 Peggy rated it it was amazing
So, I was just as skeptical of yoga as Alex, maybe more. This book went quickly and told a story instead of preaching yoga. Isn't this a great story of what all women go through? Growing up, making mistakes, apathy leading to action?? This might be labeled a chick lit book, but if you look into the book and think, it is a great character study of a woman who under values herself and discovers what she really needs and her value. Yoga is the conduit for her growth and it symbolizes how conquering ...more
Pamela
Jan 25, 2013 Pamela rated it really liked it
What do you do when a man takes over your life, marries you, then leaves you six months later to "find enlightenment" with his yoga instructor? At first our heroine hides away from life, drinking her ex's wine collection and eating pizza. Then, with the help of good friends, loving family, a one eared dog, yoga, laughter, and meditation she finds her own enlightenment. Oh, and love too.

Breathe was written by three friends seeking to bring entertainment, joy and yoga into their readers lives with
Laura Hogensen
May 24, 2013 Laura Hogensen rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit
Is it terrible to say a book is worth a read, but only if you borrow it? Because that's what I'm saying about this one. This was an e book I borrowed from my library. Y'all know I need some chick lit to break up my more serious reads. And this book was decent. It managed to incorporate yoga and its maxims into an actual story without seeming too contrived. There were a few passages about setting boundaries and marriage that I highlighted as well. Still, I don't know if the book is worth a purcha ...more
Kylie Larson
Oct 21, 2013 Kylie Larson rated it liked it
A fun "beach" read. Alex is a mid-20s newlywed whose marriage comes to an abrupt end after learning her husband had an affair with his yoga instructor and wants to separate. Alex moves from an incredibly wealthy San Francisco suburb to a studio apartment in the city with her lovable mutt and very little money. She finds a job, embraces yoga, and drinks quite a bit of wine with her girlfriends. It's a story about women lifting women up and about finding your way in a murky situation. It makes me ...more
Jill
Jun 25, 2014 Jill rated it liked it
Maybe 2 and 1/2 stars? I like a good story about personal growth and discovery, and I had high hopes for this one since the tools of choice were yoga and meditation. However, it had me rolling my eyes more than once. It's an easy, light read, but it was cliche-heavy, very predictable, and contained confusing time inconsistencies. I would give this 2 stars, but allowed an extra "benefit of the doubt" star since I listened to this on audiobook and the narration bothered me a bit. Hopefully other r ...more
Brittany
Feb 19, 2013 Brittany rated it it was amazing
I stole away during lunch break for a few days to read Breathe. I couldn't wait to get back to it when I put it down. So good! It's a fun read, but with substance. I happened to be having a tough week personally, and I could feel the ups and downs that Alex (the main character) did. My mind was a bit erratic due to the stress of school, work, etc but following Alex through her journey helped me feel centered, too.
Alyson Hagy
Jan 31, 2013 Alyson Hagy rated it really liked it
Full disclosure: One of the lively authors of BREATHE is a member of my wonderful extended family. Doesn't matter. I got a huge kick out of this book. It's light and funny on the topic of love, deft and wise on the subjects of yoga and living well. And I really admire how well "Kate Bishop" blended the knowledge of yoga into a strong story. This novel is a delight, and I hope Kate has already sat down at her three desks to work on something new. Please!
Yoga Folks: Breathe is June group read 9 38 Jun 19, 2013 11:01AM
  • Downward Dog, Upward Fog
  • Poison Shy
  • Tales from the Yoga Studio
  • Torn Together
  • Enlightenment for Idiots
  • The Face of the Earth
  • Mallory and Mary Ann Take New York (Mallory McDonald, #19)
  • Lost and Found
  • The Yoga Teacher
  • Starring Jules: As Herself (Starring Jules, #1)
  • The Pineville Heist
  • Believe
  • The Offering
  • Parallel Visions (Teen Psychic, #1)
  • The Wishing Tree (Sunset Beach #3)
  • Secrets of a Spiritual Guru: Real Estate, Yoga & Lies
  • Softer Than Steel (Love & Steel, #2)
  • Genius
Kate Bishop is the collective spirit of three friends with a shared passion for writing, yoga and a good, old-fashioned (or New Age) love story. Breathe was inspired by their experiences both on and off the mat and was born of a genuine desire to throw some love, light and laughter into the mix.

Kristin Tone graduated from Bowdoin College with a B.A. in Psychology and received an M.A. in Education
More about Kate Bishop...

“You have to be knocked off center in order to find center,” 1 likes