Start by marking “Taken by the Storm (Ontarian Chronicles, # 1)” as Want to Read:
Taken by the Storm (Ontarian Chronicles, # 1)

Taken by the Storm (Beyond Ontariese #1)

Alternate/new cover for ASIN B006ECFWBA

Tal dar Aune, a powerful shape-shifting mage, comes to Earth on a desperate quest to find a mysterious woman before his nemesis destroys her. Little does Tal know the “helpless” female he’s come to save is the key to peace on his war-torn world…or that he’ll long to touch her, take her, make her his.

Unaware of her royal roots or alien
Kindle Edition, 3rd edition, 327 pages
Published November 25th 2011 by Anything-but-Ordinary Books (first published November 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Taken by the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taken by the Storm

Kathleen
FREE e-book. Sexy space alien story, the series opener. The hero is a wizard. The setting is Earth and his planet, Ontariese. Friberg crafted a decent plot, with some surprising and amusing moments. I actually chuckled several times. The dialogue is okay, too. The writing style is a little weak, not vivid. The suspense is decent.

Lots of sex, so this is erotica, but I found the scenes rather boring. Felt a tad mechanical, like she was writing down the steps, without the heart and the heat. Fribe
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Twenty-something pages in, there was some unwelcome intimate touching (oh but she LIKED it!) that both made me uncomfortable and made me laugh. It. Was. Weird.

Then (drum roll), insta-lust! Surprised? Nah.

I almost put this down, but continued anyway (I was on the bike at the gym and it was entertaining enough). It did get a bit better. Didn't like it enough to continue with rest of series.

Freebie at one time.
Sophia
Jan 12, 2013 Sophia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-romance
This was a nice blend of the Sci-Fi with the paranormal along with the romance. The blurb is what originally drew me to the book and I was not disappointed.

The story opens with the High Queen of Ontariese making a personal sacrifice to do what she must for the Kingdom which is on the brink of civil war. The Queen uses her mage power to send her twin daughters through a portal hiding them in two separate places to be retrieved when they are needed. Many years later, the war continues with no chan
Mara
Feb 04, 2014 Mara rated it it was ok
Futuristic romance, please let's avoid calling science-fiction a simple backdrop for a romance. (We don't call fantasy the paranormal romances out there do we?)

The weak and pretty standard beginning is somewhat salvaged by a slightly more interesting second part. Unfortunately the story lacks any real tension, and there's no real growth to the characters. I 'm not even sure I understand why she trusts any other people around. She's forcibly moved worlds around and doesn't react. This and the sav
Teresa
Aug 26, 2012 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! It was full of twists and turns and every time you thought the storyline was going in a certain direction, it changed!! Great romance novel and can't wait to read the next book in the series!
Stacy Sabala
Sep 19, 2016 Stacy Sabala rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, suspense
Book Review- Taken by Storm by Cyndi Friberg

Charlotte has made the decision to start anew. A new place and job is just what she needs to move on. Her loss has been heavy and she needs to lessen it a bit. Distance will surely help.
Tal, Vee and Trey are on a mission. They call the storm in order to follow Joon. He needs to be caught before he causes any more damage. They end up on Earth not far from Charlotte’s cabin.
Charlotte and Tal’s worlds collide when he needs her to help him recover from his
Lavada
Sep 24, 2016 Lavada rated it really liked it
This book is not a genre I usually read, however, I found it engaging and well written. The characters stayed true to who they were and the story had great structure, especially when created within a different world. It is steamy, but with the twist of allowing the woman to be empowered to start or halt relations. There is added adventure of mystics and spaceships, and explosions. Written for people who like imagination and romance.
Jamie (The Kansan Reader)
Rating 2.9 out of 5 stars.

Where to start? At first we our on Ontariese. The High Queen and her lover are sending away her twin daughters for their own safety. The High Queen's husband is a mass murdering S.O.B. Yay! That's always exciting.

Fast forward a few years, we meet out heroine Charlotte in the mountains of beautiful, wonderful, gorgeous Colorado. (Originally from Colorado and miss my mountains very much.) She is wallowing in sadness. A year ago she had husband and son. She is off in her l
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
This story blends Paranormal Romance with Sci-Fi and does a pretty good job. Tal, our hero, takes the shifter part of paranormal to a whole new level. There is time travel involved in this as well so make sure you don't skip anything as you could get lost!

One of the things that I found quite puzzling, is although Charlotte has a "social alliance" with Tal, I couldn't find the part where they actually say "I love you". It's mentioned that she does and he does but usually there is a big scene wher
52ShadesofClay
Gave this a go because it is currently FREE on Amazon, and talk about being pleasantly surprised. This is probably the best freebie I've gotten in a while if not the best ever. Friberg constructs a good (not perfect) sci-fi world, but I found the romance to be a bit lacking. The bond/connection between the two main characters just wasn't erotic/passionate enough for me until the very end. It involved all the elements I enjoy: fantasy, romance, a bit of action, a despicable villain and humor (a ...more
Trina
Nov 20, 2012 Trina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Charlotte witnesses a lightening storm that leads to a fire in the mountains near her cabin. She rushes outside and comes across a man who drags her into a kiss and some sort of energy transfer happens between them. Before she knows it Charlotte's life is in danger and the strange man who kissed her has whisked her to another planet.

Tal is a supporter of the old ways and finds himself being challenged to adhere to those guidelines in the face of his desire and growing love for the mysterious Ch
Brittany
Feb 06, 2014 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, I had a really good review all written for this book but my stupid computer deleted it before I could save it. So bear with me. This book was very frustrating at some points and pretty interesting in others. First thing that made me mad was that when all of Charlottes stuff was destroyed they did not even consult her before destroying all of her possessions. NOT COOL! Second, Tal was willing to have his brother marry the woman he loves. NOT COOL AT ALL!! He was so stubborn and bullheaded ...more
Lyndi
Oct 22, 2013 Lyndi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had tried reading this a while ago, but gave up for some reason. After finishing the story, I can't remember why I didn't finish it early. It's a nice little piece of escapism. I quite enjoyed it, most of the time. There were a few TSTL moments and I couldn't help but wonder how Charlotte managed to get kidnap so many times in one story, but otherwise it was good. I felt like I knew Charlotte pretty well, but not so much with Tal. He was a traditional sorta guy. And that's it. We really don't ...more
Erin Brooks
Mar 19, 2015 Erin Brooks rated it it was amazing
Stormy moods

Talk is a guy with a set of goals in mind. The only problem is a troublesome . . . Stopping him

Charlotte had a plan in mind, but talk bursts her life into pieces and finds herself facing an arrogant . . .

Talk and his brother are sent to see what one girl has to do with another of his race, the only problem is that . . . And forces them to . . . That leads to truth. But trouble doesn't stop until . . . Dies or she'll. . .

Will they be together or will some ancient rules and . . . Stop
Jennifer Erwin
Jul 22, 2013 Jennifer Erwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. I've always been fascinated by the concept that there are other worlds out there so to find books that bring these worlds to life for me is just fantastic. The author did a great job describing things without bogging the story down. I also love how the author gave us the history behind the action taking place in this story. I hate it when you don't know why something is going on. Good character development, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this series goes.
pianogirl05
Amazing story with characters written so well they pull you in to the story. At one point I was actually crying in this story. It's an emotional roller coaster, but not because of love triangles and betrayal. The author does a great job at keeping your interest until the last word. Purchase your copy today. You won't be disappointed!!!!
Freia Hagen
Aug 20, 2013 Freia Hagen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What creativity! I loved the use of formal language and descriptions of things (ie. sleep station = bed). The characters were so much fun to follow. The Mystic's hair was a nice addition. The romance and passion was great. Not being a big fan of sci-fi, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed that aspect of the story. I will definitely read the next one!
Firstpella
May 17, 2013 Firstpella rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too Sci-Fi for me and not my cuppa tea. Plus the H was often referred to/reminded the reader that he was the "younger brother" of what appeared to be another character in the tale - the real Alpha. First 30% reminded me of the start of the SARC Series in some ways but eventually the funky names and focus on portals...I like my romantica to keep that stuff as filler and not *be* the story.
Amanda Thornton
Mar 27, 2014 Amanda Thornton rated it it was amazing
Everything I love!

Everything I love!

Sci-fi. Romance. Magic. A hero with some unique qualities. A heroine who isn't afraid to follow her destiny, and who isn't just window dressing. I loved the whole thing.
Melinda
Amazing book. Didn't know what to expect when I started, but was pleasantly surprised. Tough and emotional story. Lots of things happening. I found that I really enjoyed the interactions between all the characters, not just the main. I hope to enjoy the next books in the series.
Angarad
Aug 15, 2013 Angarad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting Science-fiction book mixing a lot of elements. I liked how trust needed some time to appear in the story and how very clear each personnality is set. Some great characters and a beautiful love story
Suzan
Sep 10, 2012 Suzan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was hard to get into at first and to be honest I'm not sure I would read the rest of the series. I did like Tal and Charlotte and Vee but it was confusing at times. Still the plot was quite good and I did want Tal and Charlotte to be together.
Sue-Anne Silkes
Oct 23, 2013 Sue-Anne Silkes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once you get past the ridiculous cover, this is a wonderful story. As other reviewers have commented, a perfect blending of sci fi and paranormal romance. The characters are likable, believable and entertaining. I look forward to reading the next book in this series.
marion
Sep 12, 2014 marion rated it liked it
Taken By Storm

This was offered free for the kindle when I picked it up.
Although I thought it started a bit slow, the world building and characters were enjoyable. Overall a relaxing read.
-zittern
Danny L Walling
Aug 02, 2015 Danny L Walling rated it did not like it
BAAADDD

I thought some books I have read were bad, but this one is the worst. Have no idea what going on, characters are poorly understood, plot is nonexistent. I read only 12 percent and had to quit.
Big
Mar 23, 2016 Big rated it really liked it
Shelves: alien-cyborg
Loved the hair! I thought the hair thing was so cool! Don't know why but it reminded me of the children's book, Clutter. Go figure... The plot is strong and brisk. The characters are very memorable. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the rest in the series.
Cathy McAllister
That was a great story. Some unusual thing I liked, like the things, Tal could do with his hair ;)
I liked both, the h and the H. Only at some point at the end, I wanted to kick Tal's ass.
I will definitely read the next book of the series also.
Christina
Dec 11, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED it and I'm not a sci-fi space cadet! I will be reading the series, I sampled book 2 and it's about Trey the older brother of Tal from this book. It's off to a great start....

I WILL RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO OTHERS!
Trea
Apr 07, 2015 Trea rated it did not like it
Shelves: challenges-2015
I didn't really care for this one. The beginning made no sense whatsoever, and there wasn't enough world building for my tastes to make things more clear. I couldn't connect with the characters or care about their war. Avoiding the series in the future.
Brittney
I like the series so far BUT after the first and second book I feel like each story could have been a little bit more, the potential was definitely there it just never took that step up for me. I did enjoy the story.
  • The Crystal Warrior (Crystal Warriors, #1)
  • The Battle Lord's Lady (Battle Lord Saga, #1)
  • White Wedding
  • Identity Crisis
  • Zakia and the Cowboy (Thunder Creek Ranch #1)
  • The Centurion and the Queen
  • The Holding (Medieval Knights, #1)
  • The Virgin Proxy
  • She Wolf (True Mates, #1)
  • Hunted (Eden, #2)
  • Prime Commander (Katieran Prime, #2)
  • Rebel Heart
  • The Perfect Score
  • Birth of an Empire: The Beginning (Xarrok Series, #1)
  • The Abduction (Sa Tskir Brothers Chronicles, #1)
  • Escaped (Running In Fear, #1)
  • Justin (Tales of the Shareem, #6)
  • The Bride Found (Civil War Brides, #2)
Anything-but-Ordinary is a creed I try to reflect in my writing. Though all of my books have a paranormal twist, the main focus remains love, loyalty and the struggle for redemption. My writing has won numerous awards and appeared on several best seller lists. (Amazon, Fictionwise and All Romance Ebooks)

I live in Colorado with my high school sweetheart turned husband of many years. With a pampered
More about Cyndi Friberg...

Beyond Ontariese (6 books)
  • Operation Hydra (Ontarian Chronicles, # 2)
  • City of Tears (Ontarian Chronicles, #3)
  • Mystic Flame (Beyond Ontariese, # 4)
  • Fire Pearl (Beyond Ontariese, # 5)
  • Consort (Beyond Ontariese, # 6)