Start by marking “Tincture: An Apocalyptic Proposition” as Want to Read:
Tincture: An Apocalyptic Proposition

Tincture: An Apocalyptic Proposition

Grave robbing requires a corpse, so at most, this was all just simple thievery.

“Rhamuel and the last of his family, Abranyah, travel their barren world, shack to shack, selling tinctures to keep a full belly and evading the dogmatists to keep their throats safe. Time has moved on after The Whatever, an apocalyptic event that few remember and even fewer can explain, danger
Audiobook, Podiobook
Published May 7th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Tincture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tincture

Rusty
Jun 20, 2015 Rusty rated it really liked it
Shelves: prose, fantasy, audiobook
Everyone who has read and enjoyed Stephen King's Gunslinger novels should really give this a go. When the 'Whatever' happened, the world got weird. People can't seem to remember where they came from, or what their skillsets were, or even who their brothers, sisters, wives, husbands, etc., are... family is just who you happen to be around.

I was a bit worried that this was going to be too strange for me to really enjoy. I am the kind of reader that likes to understand what's happening. I can't ne
nettan - the road so far...
Tincture is set in what seems to be a world (ours?) after some apocalyptic events, or after what the inhabitants call it, the whatever. Most of the world is barren wastelands, with just ruins as evidence that there was once a different world, another civilization, but no one seems to remember what came before. The few inhabitants that still are alive try one way or the other just to survive. Some you know are bad, some will stab you in the back as soon as they get their chance and some will surp ...more
Gaeadd
Mar 25, 2013 Gaeadd rated it really liked it
Excellent.

The story weaves in and out of a timeline that is less of a line and more of a confused squiggle without ever losing the reader. The premise at first felt contrived (who names the apolcalypse the Whatever?) but by the end of the book, the story ties into itself and even the naming conventions seem to fit together with the feel and tone of the book.

The main characters are the kind of people you don't want to meet in dark alley and could easily have brought the story into a very dark pl
Drmorton
Aug 30, 2015 Drmorton rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book but i just couldn't get over all the small things that i found annoying. This book felt inspired, but not inspiring, it didn't offer anything new to the genre. it also didn't make any sense nothing is ever explained the laws of the universe seem to change at will and what effects one person doesn't really effect everyone in the world. I just never understood the rules, it would just be like and now this happens and I'd be like great why? on top of that the social ...more
D. Henbane
May 04, 2014 D. Henbane rated it really liked it
It is a dystopian/apocalyptic tale. Very entertaining, and held my interest through the second book. At the end of the (current)series I am left with many more questions than answers. It has been a great thrill ride, and on a personal note(*spoiler! look no further), the death of salt really tugged at my heart strings.

After reading the above. The only question I ask you. Why aren't you enjoying it?
Tom Van Boening
Aug 26, 2013 Tom Van Boening rated it liked it
This story is only available via podcast, but it was an enjoyable story anyway.

Podiobooks.com has before put out enjoyable stories, and this is one of the better ones I've come across in a while.

I hope this gets published sometime soon. We don't get enough weird western science fiction stories.

If you have a job that lets you listen to music on you iPod/iPhone, give this podcast novel a listen.
Andy
Jul 25, 2013 Andy rated it it was amazing
Got the free audiobook from podiobooks.com

Tincture is a very entertaining story delivered in a professional audiobook. The narration is excellent and the choice of backround music is simply perfect.

I agree with Rusty that people who enjoyed Stephen King's Gunslinger novels will enjoy this equally. I certainly did.

Rachel Naegele
May 03, 2014 Rachel Naegele rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The book had an interesting take on a common theme - the post apocolyptic world. The story follows three travelers through the disjointed timeline that follows the "whatever". The writing is okay, but I did not enjoy this author's voice or his cadence, which likely affected my enjoyment of the story. Still, it is intriguing, and I will likely read his second book as well.
Nannika
Nov 05, 2015 Nannika rated it liked it
This was an interesting read found on podiobooks.com. Was not into the Mad Max type vibe and the dustiness of it (the details escape me as I read it a long time ago)....was an interesting plot...but could have used some development. 'The Whatever'...I mean really? Could have come up with a more inventive name for such a catastrophic event I think
Angela O
Mar 20, 2014 Angela O rated it it was amazing
I am loving listening to this book.
I have been following it in his podcast version since he first started it. I am not the type that usually enjoys apocalyptic stories but this one has me hooked.
Give it a try the story keeps the listener on the edge of their seats trying to figure out what is going on/ what the whatever was.
neko cam
Mar 06, 2016 neko cam rated it really liked it
A really enjoyable adventure in a weird West with plenty of throwbacks to King's 'The Gunslinger'. I felt that the ending became a little too overt, a little too heavy-handed, and ultimately fell flat because of it. Nevertheless, it's a great ride while it lasts. I'll check out the sequel.
T
T rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2013
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2015
Donna Harman
Donna Harman rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2014
Alexandra Green
Alexandra Green rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Rob Howard
Rob Howard rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Allen Masterton
Allen Masterton rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2015
Ethan Hubbard
Ethan Hubbard rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2014
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2014
Matt Weber
Matt Weber rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2013
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2015
Joel
Joel rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Mikael Kuoppala
Mikael Kuoppala rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2013
Danielle Turchiano
Danielle Turchiano rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2015
NormaCenva
NormaCenva rated it it was ok
Dec 04, 2016
M.M. Mancey
M.M. Mancey rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2013
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2015
Sean Omeara
Sean Omeara rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Gary Burke
Gary Burke rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2013
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2013
Author of TINCTURE (www.tincturestory.com), essayist at The Wayward Irregular (www.waywardirregular.com)

Matthew lives in Colorado with his wife, Mikayla, and they are kept company by a fat English Bulldog named Carl and a Pug named Herman.

He's fond of salty breakfasts, pipe tobacco, ranch dressing, and believes short pants and the summer-time are to be enjoyed by men of lesser character.
More about Matthew D. Jordan...