Start by marking “A Stranger's Game (Bitter Creek, #7)” as Want to Read:
A Stranger's Game (Bitter Creek, #7)

A Stranger's Game (Bitter Creek #7)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  505 ratings  ·  34 reviews
From "New York Times" bestselling author Joan Johnston comes a dazzling new Bitter Creek novel that features all of the passion and intrigue in Texas high society that her readers know and love, mixed with an explosive, spine-tingling tale of murder, wrongful imprisonment, and a woman who counts no cost too high to see a killer brought to justice.FBI Special Agent Breed Gr ...more
Published March 11th 2008 by Gallery Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Stranger's Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Stranger's Game

jenjn79
If there was ever a time for me to like a book, but also be annoyed with it, this is it. Because on one hand, I really enjoyed this book - it was a quick, engaging read with an interesting storyline and good characters. But on the other hand, several things annoyed me.

I'm not sure I liked that she jumped ahead 9 years from the last book of the series to this one. Nine years seemed a bit much - but I think she needed to age the characters. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

I also wish she hadn't rev
Christel
Jul 28, 2009 Christel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Contemporary romance
Recommended to Christel by: fan of author series
Another novel in the Bitter Creek Series. Grace Caldwell, aka Merle Raye Finkel, went to jail for a double murder she did not committ.Now since she has been released from Juvinile prison, she is determined to make the real killer pay. Breed Greyhawk is an FBI special agent located in Austin, Texas meets up with Grace, has the best sex of his life, and then finds out she is a convicted murder. Okay!

Really good book. Grace is bound and determined to find the real murderer of her father and step-mo
Pokwita

had to stop for a while there, overflowing with characters. but it's good.

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Blown away. I'm always wary about reading suspense-thriller books because I have the habit of anticipating police jargon which, at all times, would be too technical for me. Contemplating now, surely I indeed got along with the storyline smoothly, it's a bit unbelievable. I should say, I really liked the novel and couldn't almost put it down after I decided to give it a rest fi
Karen
Just finished this last night & can't believe I missed reading this when it first came out?!

I love any of the stories from the Bittercreek saga....

Now I'm on the hunt for the next book, Shattered, which I've apparently missed on reading that one too?!

Great characters, great twists & turns and evil characters afoot!!!
Donald
Even though this is the seventhd book in a series, I felt I knew enough about the characters and backstory to get what was going on, especially all the intertwined relationships in one of the rather disfunctional families. The plot is an interesting one and is carried off well: a young woman, after getting out of juvie for eight years for the double murder of her fathet and step-mother, sets about trying to solve that crime, for which she was framed. Along the way, she "cons" an FBI agent to hel ...more
Jodi
Donna Mcnab
FBI Special Agent Breed Grayhawk has a short meeting, ending in a sexual encounter, with a woman who gives her name only as Grace Smith, which is obviously not her real name. On discovering that Grace is a wanted criminal, the situation becomes a little involved. This is the 7th book in this series. If I had read the previous books, my rating would very likely have been higher. However, not knowing the characters in the book made it a little less interesting, although the author does a pretty go ...more
Michelle
Starts out with promise and then ends with a whimper. Its almost like the author was being pressured to finish and just decided to write whatever she could think of to end the book. I didn't know when I started the book it was part of a series so the ending was apparently also done with the next in the series in mind. Overall ok, but not one I'd recommend to friends.
Js Park
I find this book so....so awesome! I started reading this book as a for-fun, keep-me-occupied reading and it turned out to be so intriguing. I was, honest to tell, compelled to turn the pages. Suspenseful, romantic and vibrating. A good read!
T.M. Carper
Apparently I jumped into the middle of a series (whoops...) so some of the characters were a bit confusing. By the end I think I got most of that straightened out. Overall, good suspense story and I liked how Grace and Breed's story was interwoven with Jack and Kate's bit. I'm definately going to read "Shattered" and maybe some of the previous books -- if they have the same characters.

Fast-paced, interesting, and hard to put down once it got moving. Great main characters that you really feel for
Amy
CD/abridged/Romance: What a crock of crap. This review probably contains SPOILERS because I am not recommending it.
Weak women and stupid men. The two main characters need to go offensive on the murder case and stop thinking about peter and va-j-j.
Then there is a side story of a cousin (?) and her not-so-dead husband. I wanted to punch Kate in the mouth. Such a weak character. That storyline has no ending.
Diane
update. The cliffhanger ending continues in the next book, so I upped the rating to 4. This book was great. You get romance, running from the authorities, false imprisonment, and a killer FBI agent.

3.5

Would have been a 4 if not for the ending. Is there another book for Jake and Kate?!!
Lisa
As good as all the rest of the bitter creek series. I am not a huge romance fan but her books have enough suspense and other back stories to keep it from being to over the top. I am re-reading all the rest to refresh my memory and the two before this one to fill in the gaps.
Audrey
I couldn't put this down once I started reading it. I was quite surprised by "who done it", it was a character I wouldn't have guessed. I'll definitely read more books by this author, probably more in this series.
Mufidah
I've never read her previous books and this book was great. At least the book didn't start with something that was linked to the previous book that made it all the better to read. Filled with action n love.
Brianon Sheffield
I'm usually not ashamed to be reading romance novels, but this book was downright embarrassing. also the cliffhanger ending was ridiculous. i do love the cliche cowboy characters though....
Miss Kim

A Stranger's Game wasn't a bad edition to the Bitter Creek Series, however I was TOTALLY annoyed with the ending.

She left a major plot line hanging!
Debbie
I loved this one but the ending pissed me off!!! Have to wait til December to find out what happens............Not that far off I know, but still.....................
Molly
I picked this up not knowing I was in the middle of a series, but it was easy enough to know characters. Good romantic suspense.
Cecil James
A nice read where you know who did what, yet the author keeps you glued to the books wanting to find out all the details.
Jerri
I hated hated hated the ending but now I see from other comments that it continues in the next book. Good
Delia
This was ok
too many characters!!
the end was horrible....
obviously #8 will continue story ???
Julie
Not my favorite of the Bitter Creek series but I was still drawn in by the plot.
Mary
FBI SA Breed Grayhawk & Grace, framed for murder. Sort of unbelievable, but a good read.
Katie Williamson
Breed Grayhawk risks his job at the FBI to help Grace Caldwell avenge her parents murder.
Chiara
Finally finished this. Wasn't too bad once I finally sat down and read the book.
Marianne
Coming back to a series after a break is like meeting up with old friends.
Debbie Duran
For a romance novel, this was pretty good & definitely different.
Angie Martzall
very good book--stays interesting throughout.
Lorna
funny murder mystery with some trashy romance
  • The Rustler (Stone Creek, #3)
  • Lone Star Christmas (includes: Hawk's Way, #11 & Long, Tall Texans, #18))
  • Second Chances
  • Never Say Never (Callahan Brothers, #2)
Joan Johnston (born Little Rock, Arkansas) is a best-selling American author of over forty contemporary and historical romance novels.

Johnston was the third of seven children born to an Air Force sergeant and his music-teacher wife. She received a B.A. in theatre arts from Jacksonville University in 1970, then earning an M.A. in theatre from the University of Illinois, Urbana in 1971. She received
More about Joan Johnston...
The Cowboy (Bitter Creek #1) The Texan (Bitter Creek, #2) Texas Bride (Mail-Order Brides, #1) The Loner (Bitter Creek, #3) Frontier Woman (Sisters of the Lone Star, #1)