Start by marking “One Night Heir” as Want to Read:
One Night Heir

One Night Heir (By His Royal Decree #1)

Only a royal wedding…

Bitter life lessons have taught Crown Prince Maksim Yurkovich that duty must come before desire. His country needs an heir, so when he discovers his lover can't have children, he must sever their ties. Only Maks can't resist spending one last night in her bed.

…can avert this royal scandal!

Now he faces the biggest diplomatic crisis of his life. Against
Published June 18th 2013 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about One Night Heir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Night Heir

Val ⚓️ ShamelessBitchySkanky ⚓️ Steamy Reads
Low 4 Stars

I finished this on Monday. Or what I think is/was/once upon a time twas Monday...seeing as I don't even actually know what today really is...as I had the Worst. Flu. Imaginable.

For the SECOND TIME this year.

Holy lack of a quality immune system, people.

description

All I know is, it all started on Saturday...

When the hubs came home early from work complaining he *cough* didn't feel well *cough* *cough*

Legit rendition:

description

So, Super Wife that I am, I came charging to the rescue.

Legit rendition (post
Kaycee ❤️

I keep flipping between a 2 and a 3 for this one, but decided to settle for 2.5 because I was actually enjoying the first few chapters until it went downhill and then it made me sad because it felt like it could have been so much more and I really really wanted to love this book and I wish I could give this more than 2.5 stars. But there are things that annoyed me.

First, the hero Maks, his arrogance is a strike against him for me. He thinks the world is his oyster. That he can do whatever he wan
Saly
I don't know what happened to Lucy Monroe, I used to love her HP's and many of her old works are ones I re-read but sadly the new one's have been dull and bland and so is this one. The whole time I read this book it felt that the hero/heroine were having the same discussion/argument. Hero/heroine have been involved for some time when he learns she can't have kids and that is bad for his kingdom so of course they have to break up. Hero of course doesn't do love, heroine is devastated by hero's ac ...more
KatieV
It was okay. I thought the characters were overall kind of boring. The hero was too robotic and the heroine too self sacrificing and willing to settle. She was a sad character in many ways. Also, I guess I don't read a lot of newer HPs, but the texting back and forth seemed weird to me.

Sample text from future king: R U sure?

Maybe I'm judging the royal family of his fake country too strictly, but that doesn't seem very princely. At least there were no 'lol' or 'OMG! Wtf?' texts.

I love the ones
Lakshmi C
Sep 16, 2016 Lakshmi C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Mills and Boons in college. They were short, satisfying, addictive and suited for relaxation. After some months, most of them blurred together - virgin women, arrogant men, lots of misunderstandings, unexpected pregnancies, a hidden marriage clause...But the Unforgivable Sin was that the guys rarely treated the girl right - 70 % of the book was angst, accusations and abuse, usually over something trivial.

But Lucy Monroe lured me back. Both her characters may be emotionally blocked but
Jacqueline
Decent enough I guess. This story was told mostly through 3 or 4 very long scenes consisting mostly of dialog. I kept wanting the scene to be over and the story to move along. There wasn't really a lot of tension between these two. The hero was an ass to dump her when he thought she couldn't have kids but come crawling back the moment he finds out she's pregnant. She was too forgiving. Still it was well written and held my interest.
Donnelle
Jenny
Jun 05, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steamy
Maksim is a Crown Prince very much in denial about his feelings for his girlfriend Gillian. Still he is about to propose to her. But when he finds out she is infertile he breaks up with her and she is left alone and heartbroken. When she finds out she is pregnant she is happy but shocked. What is even more shocking is that Maksim shows up at her doorstep tells her he knows everything about her pregnancy and proposes marriage. But Gillian won't accept a loveless marriage based on duty, she wants ...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
I know that the hero and heroine were in a fairly long relationship before the beginning of the story, but even so, the I Love You's felt a little too quick from our hero's side.

Very light, easy reading, with some lovely angst and steam, but I wish that our hero had been forced to grovel a bit more.

3.5-4/5 Stars, full review to follow.
Danielle
Beth
Jul 07, 2017 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really boring. Oils not connect with the main characters. I read about 75% of the book but skimmed the rest, very boring.
Ashley F
This review was posted at Tsuki’s Book Blog on Thursday June 13, 2013

Do you ever read a book and immediately (as in the first page) want to punch the hero in the face? I understand alpha-heroes tend to start in Asshat-Land and at some point move into Total Understanding-Land but sometimes it's just not enough. While I enjoyed the book as a whole those early chapters were incredibly difficult for me to get through. Let's start with a basic synopsis and go from there, shall we?

Gillian and Maksim (
Nancy Crocker
May 03, 2013 Nancy Crocker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One Night Heir by Lucy Monroe

In One Night Heir, Crown Prince Maksim is about to propose to Gillian Harris, when he receives medical records showing that it would be very "unlikely" that Gillian would be able to conceive a child. After an intense night of passion, he ends their relationship. Gillian is totally devastated, as she believed he was going to propose.

Maks does not believe in love, having not seen it between his parents. While he cares for Gillian and really hated the idea of breaking u
Fiona Marsden
3 1/2 stars This is a fairly classic story line. Maks is all set to make his lover Gillian his bride until her medical report comes back showing fertility problems. Big issue for the Prince of a country that requires at least an heir and a spare.

So of course he dumps her, after a last magic night of lovemaking.

Gillian is not clueless, she's seen where the relationship is heading and is expecting her HEA to be announced that night. She thinks that magical night was all about leading up to the big
Autum
May 19, 2013 Autum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received the book from Netgallery.com for an honest review. I really liked this short read. It is about Gillian and Maksim the Crown Prince, who both have been hurt by their parents love.Maksim must marry a woman who can help secure the royal line. He is set to do this with Gillian, until he gets her medical records and finds out Gillian has a smaller chance of conceiving. So he ends their relationship due to these reasons, as he cannot take a chance. He is loyal to the crown and the country f ...more
Rgreader
Jun 05, 2013 Rgreader rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not impressed. I didn't feel the romance between Maks and Gillian. Also was annoyed the author had to throw in Gillian's 2 prior hookups which didn't even impress the heroine. Should have made Gillian a virgin since she didn't benefit from those prior hookups!
Riz
Sep 20, 2016 Riz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars
Tia
Jun 03, 2013 Tia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too quickly done, not enough time to actually like the characters, let alone fall in love with them and their story. It was a rush/hack job. 1.5 stars.
Jae
Huh, two adults that speak to each other and try to address legitimate concerns about their relationship. That's novel. I wasn't really convinced by the love story though, because most of the falling-in-love happens off page (before this book even starts). And despite the baby plot, there wasn't much urgency. Overall, not a bad way to spend an afternoon, but I doubt I'll remember this next week.
Book Reading Gals
Title: One Night Heir

Series: N/A

Author: Lucy Monroe

Genre: Romance

Blurb: Only a royal wedding...

...can avert this royal scandal!

Now he faces the biggest diplomatic crisis of his life. Against all odds, Gillian Harris has become pregnant. Mak
Hannah Fielding
Jun 06, 2013 Hannah Fielding rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes, you just want a little light relief in your reading, and Harlequin Presents always delivers on that score – simple, quick reads with romance at the core.

One-Night Heir meets all expectations for the brand and the genre. It’s full of passion and angst, and the two main characters are stubborn and fiery.

The concept is interesting – the prince rejects the woman he loves because she has little chance of bearing the heirs he must create, but the night he ends things she falls pregnant. The
Jackie (Jackie's Book World)
Review can also be found at Jackie's Book World

*ARC provided by Netgalley*

It was cute, short and romantic

I really enjoyed reading the book, it was short and intriguing. The story is about Gillian Harris, and Prince Maksim Yurkovich, and how they come to terms with each other when it comes to love. Maksim Yurkovich, a prince who is only loyal to his country before anything else is tested when he finds Gillian the granddaughter of a famous reporter. They have an instant connection and the desire t
Alexia
Dec 09, 2014 Alexia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"One Night Heir (By His Royal Decree Book 1)" by: Lucy Monroe was sent to me by the author for an honest review. I have to say that I wanted to give up on the story after the first Chapter, but I'm really glad that I kept reading.

This is the story of Crown Prince Maksim Yurkovich and Gillian Harris. They had been dating for 6 months and he sent Gillian to get some test done including an OB exam. Maks finds out that Gillian's Fallopian tubes are compromised and she most likely would not be able
Hsiau Wei
Jul 13, 2013 Hsiau Wei rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
This book tell the story of Maksim, a Crown Prince who is at the verge of marrying Gillian but when her medical report revealed that she have a fertility issues, he decided to break up with her. Gillian is expecting a proposal from him but was devastated instead when he broke up with her. Ten weeks later, she found herself pregnant with his son. She is not ready to tell him but Maksim found out nevertheless. He wanted Gillian to be back with him and to take care of her and his unborn son. Althou ...more
Writerlibrarian
Quick, fast and comfort read. This is more a longish novella or a short novel. Both the hero and the heroine have their flaws that make them somehow interesting and not too cliché.

Both Maks and Gillian and the situation they find themselves in (surprise baby) are viewed with a slight twist on the usual way the surprise baby conceive in one night is offered.

Both Maks and Gillian have strong personalities, deal with the situation and their sense of duty, family, love differently. They both journ
Camy
Aug 08, 2013 Camy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the story premise for this book and was eager to read it. I really felt for the heroine in this book, because she was so in love with the hero but he didn't love her--yet he wanted to marry her out of duty. The choice she had to make was excruciating, and it made for strong emotional conflict. Their conversations were full of frustration and longing, which made for an interesting read.

Each had really good backstories to explain why they made the decisions they made in their lives.
IamGamz
2 YAWN Stars

“Love is….”
“A tremdous blessing when the one who loves practices selflessness rather than selfishness.”

I did not enjoy this book. The characters were boring and annoying.

Maks irritated the hell out of me. He is selfish, cold and has the personality of a dead fish. Gillian was not much better. Together they bored the heck out of me, and I didn't give a damn about either of them.

One Night Heir was mildly entertaining and took a few hours from me that I will never get back. It is n
Diane
May 21, 2013 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A touching story about two people that are dealing with learning to love one another. While Gillian knows she loves Maks, she does not fight for him when he breaks up with her due to duty to the Crown. Maks had planned on marrying Gillian until questions about whether she could provide and heir arose. He reasons for choosing her were practical. They got along well. She handled herself well in diplomatic settings. He never once considered love. But a little over 2 months after he finds out she is ...more
Jess
Apr 23, 2013 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"4 out of 5 stars. Is one person falling in love within a relationship ever enough for the relationship to survive? Maks & Gillian put that question to the test...

I was delighted and frustrated in the fact that this novel was written to encompass such a short period of time in Maks & Gillian's relationship between their fallout and reunion."

Read more of this review and three teasers on my blog once it goes live on May 18th 2013 - http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2013/05/feasted-
Diane
First of two books in this mini-series, and I have to mention that I actually WON both books in a contest! That automatically predisposes me to like them, but as Lucy Monroe is one of my favorite Harlequin authors, I knew there was a great chance that I actually would enjoy reading them. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the hero is tall, dark, handsome, incredibly rich, and royal to boot! Of course there is an impediment to his marrying the beautiful heroine, but that is overcome, and now the her ...more
  • An Invitation to Sin (Sicily's Corretti Dynasty, #2)
  • A  Royal World Apart (Call of Duty, #1)
  • An Inheritance of Shame (Sicily's Corretti Dynasty, #4)
  • The Fallen Greek Bride / At the Greek Boss's Bidding
  • Never Say No to a Caffarelli (Those Scandalous Caffarellis, #1)
  • A Scandal, a Secret, a Baby\Marriage Scandal, Showbiz Baby!
  • The Prince's Royal Affair (Idol Series, #1)
  • The Greek Demands His Heir (Notorious Greeks, #1)
  • Behind the Palace Walls
  • The Dangerous Jacob Wilde (The Wilde Brothers, #1)
  • A Mistress for the Taking
  • Beholden to the Throne (Empire of the Sands #2)
  • Caroselli's Christmas Baby (The Caroselli Inheritance #1)
  • To Love, Honor and Betray
Award winning author Lucy Monroe had her first book published in September 2003. Since then she has sold more than 50 books to four publishers and hit national bestsellers lists in the US and England. She writes sexy category romance for Harlequin Presents including her own ongoing mini-series, The Royal Brides. If you prefer a longer book, but want to keep it steamy, try her Mercenary trilogy or ...more
More about Lucy Monroe...

By His Royal Decree (2 books)
  • Prince of Secrets (By His Royal Decree, #2)