Start by marking “How to Study Your Bible” as Want to Read:
How to Study Your Bible

How to Study Your Bible

4.23  ·  Rating Details ·  1,025 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
More than 400,000 adults and teens have discovered the truth of God's Word for themselves through Kay's inductive study tools. Now this dynamic guide has been updated to reflect the most recent edition of the NASB and sports a fresh new cover. "How to Study Your Bible "helps people cultivate the skills of observation, interpretation, and application--and encourages them to ...more
Published March 1st 2001 by Harvest House Publishers (first published November 30th 1976)

To ask other readers questions about How to Study Your Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Study Your Bible

Penny
Feb 05, 2009 Penny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
This is a FABULOUS method for learning how to study the bible for yourself, without depending on others. I think it is vitally important that we all know how to go to the word of God and read it and apply it to our lives.I am so tired of hearing "Christian" teachings, that truly are not backed up by the Bible. I love this method of study, and use it daily. Really perfect for those who love to take notes, and use fun colored pencils and mark! The super-nerd in me really loves this.
Clark Goble
Apr 21, 2013 Clark Goble rated it it was amazing
This guide by Kay Arthur is filled to the brim with good advice on how to conduct an inductive Bible study. Arthur defines an inductive study as "using the Bible itself as the primary source of information about the Bible." I've discovered that the steps outlined in this text are easy to incorporate into my daily studies. Prayer, overview, context, who, what, when, where, why, how ... these are all essential steps required before jumping to application and Arthur provides detailed instructions t ...more
Philip
Mar 10, 2011 Philip rated it it was amazing
At first glance, Kay Arthur's little work seems to be of little import, but, after reading it through, I was impressed by her keen ability to search the Scriptures. If more believers went through the Bible with a pen in hand and completed the exercises that she argues for, they would be confident in their knowledge of Scripture and in the Faith. Nothing in this work is novel, but the writer does a wonderful job driving believers to the Word of Truth. I would recommend this book for any Christian ...more
Debbie
Jun 29, 2009 Debbie rated it it was amazing
since i love the precepts method of bible study, i naturally love and need this book. i recommend it to anyone serious about finding what god says to us through his divine word!
Ana Ávila
Aug 03, 2015 Ana Ávila rated it really liked it
Primer libro de los retos del #BookTubeAThon. Me pareció una excelente guía para aprender sobre el estudio bíblico, al grano y sin paja. Muy práctica y con apéndices que resumen todo el método para revisarlos cuando estés practicando.

Le puse 4.5/5 estrellas porque de repente ponía demasiada "publicidad" de los otros productos y servicios de la autora, y eso me distrajo un poco.
Hope
Oct 27, 2014 Hope rated it really liked it
Learning the inductive Bible study method revolutionized my spiritual life. I had been a Christian for many years, but when I learned to study rather than just read the Bible, it was life-changing. This book gives the basic ideas behind IBS.
Margaret Metz
I liked a lot of what she taught. I still have a hard time marking up my Bible though. I use many of the tools she taught during study and then bought one of the Inductive study Bibles and thought that was getting some of the best of both worlds. :o)
Marge
Sep 14, 2016 Marge rated it it was amazing
Good guide for getting the most out of your time in God's Word.
Klasko
Jun 22, 2007 Klasko rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to do some serious Bible study
Shelves: reference, religious
I have had probably every edition of this book that has been printed. It gives very practical information about how to study your Bible inductively, and how to understand it for yourself. This book teaches a method of Bible study, and one I have been using for years as a student and a leader and a teacher. I believe wholeheartedly in this method, so much so that I have given away about a dozen copies of this book over the years. I have started buying more than one so I can give them away and I e ...more
Connie Adams
Jul 29, 2012 Connie Adams rated it it was amazing
Shelves: precept
A wonderful guide to inductive Bible Study. I started Precept Bible study in 1986 and I have never been the same about studying God's Word or my deep desire to know Him and to live in obedience to His Word. Inductive Study showed me how to study and pull out truths myself and not to rely upon what a teacher says or what a Bible writer writes concerning God's Word. No predefined answers to questions as designed in Sunday School, etc. will ever feel right to you again. Precept teaches we must foll ...more
Dee Ann Coker
Dec 27, 2014 Dee Ann Coker rated it really liked it
Kay Arthur's opened up a beautiful way to study God's Word! In very clear format and language, Arthur shares practical ways to use Observation, Interpretation, Application and Organization to broaden our understanding of Scripture. It's 180 pages are full of explanations, definitions, steps & examples - enough to provide excitement & courage to everyone with a thirst to learn more of God thru his Word.
Jill
Oct 11, 2011 Jill rated it did not like it
Prepare to get REALLY DEEP. For a busy mom who is trying to work in a bible study into her weekly routine...this is not for you (ER, me?). However if you have lots of time to devote to reading the section again and again, then this is a method to read the bible in, over, and above.

Too intense for me. I find myself loathing my bible study homework which is not the intention of reading the Word.
Scott Pena
Feb 09, 2016 Scott Pena rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I found this book to be a very strong and concise summary of how I have been taught to study God's word. Aside from a couple of ideas or interpretations of a text or topic, I found this book to be quite accurate. I would recommend this book (though not the author's denominational doctrine) to a beginning Bible student in helping them get an in-depth approach to study.
J.N.
Oct 06, 2011 J.N. rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I tried to read this for my Bible study, but I just couldn't get into it. Read as much as possible and then gave to someone else. I hope they like it better than I did. For now, I'll just focus on reading The Bible and probably stick with Shepard's Notes.
Ozarkladie
Aug 26, 2011 Ozarkladie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book of Contextual Bible Study. I have used several ideas from this study book in teaching this Study method. Ideas are very clearly presented and easy to put into practice in a private Bible Study and even a group Bible Study.
Debbie
How To Study Your Bible is a dynamic guide to cultivating step-by-step Bible study skills such as observation, interpretation, application, and more--skills that mean the difference between being a passive spectator and an active participant in God's Word!
Brian Huddleston
May 01, 2014 Brian Huddleston rated it it was amazing
Shelves: print
Very good book for inductive Bible study. Irving Jensen's Independent Bible Study was the first one I read that used this method. Kay Arthur has done an excellent job teaching this method of study to another generation.
Lisa
Sep 01, 2008 Lisa marked it as to-read
Life
Janet
May 09, 2015 Janet rated it it was amazing
A great way to learn how to study without getting bogged down but learning to slow down and really observe what God is saying to you personally.
Linda
Jun 17, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, reference
Great book to help anyone learn to study the Bible for yourself, using the Inductive Study Method.
Andy
Chuck Bonadies
Sep 01, 2011 Chuck Bonadies rated it liked it
A good read for those who have never taken anytime to learn how to study the Bible. Her steps are simple and easy to apply.

Karie Lee
Feb 16, 2013 Karie Lee rated it it was ok
I love inductive Bible studies and love the Precept Upon Precept classes, but this book is not my style of learning.
Barbara Blount
Sep 27, 2008 Barbara Blount rated it it was amazing
Clear and concise instruction for studying the Bible inductively.
Christy
Sep 21, 2015 Christy rated it liked it
very good teaching instructions, but a bit redundant
Maria Dahn
Nov 25, 2013 Maria Dahn rated it really liked it
Great inductive study tips
Chris Bloom
My rating is a tentative one; I've read the book, but haven't yet put it into practice. The concepts Arthur presents make a great deal of sense, and I look forward to trying the system out.
Jeanne
Jun 29, 2009 Jeanne rated it it was ok
How to study the Bible inductively. Not much new here. The charts and notes were so complicated that I think I would forget what I read by the time I made all the notes.
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
This book is perfect for learning how to do an in depth bible study! I'm so glad I came across this book. It opened a whole new meaning of what bible study really should be. A great read!
Stephanie
Jul 25, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A timeless resource. I used this book countless times with my Precept studies.
  • Living By the Book: The Art and Science of Reading the Bible
  • How to Study the Bible for Yourself
  • Jesus: 90 Days With the One and Only (Personal Reflections)
  • The MacArthur Study Bible (NKJV)
  • Rose Book of Bible Charts, Maps, and Time Lines: Full-Color Bible Charts, Illustrations of the Tabernacle, Temple, and High Priest, Then and Now Bible Maps, Biblical and Historical Time Lines
  • Life Lessons: Book of Ephesians:  Where You Belong
  • Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words: With Topical Index
  • A Mom After God's Own Heart: 10 Ways to Love Your Children
  • Rick Warren's Bible Study Methods: Twelve Ways You Can Unlock God's Word
  • Becoming a Woman of Excellence
  • Voices of the Faithful
  • Transforming Grace: Living Confidently in God's Unfailing Love
  • Getting the Message: A Plan for Interpreting and Applying the Bible
  • Saved Without A Doubt: Being Sure of Your Salvation
  • How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth
Kay Arthur (born November 11, 1933 in Jackson, Michigan) is an international Bible teacher, four-time ECPA Christian Book Award winning author, and co-CEO of Precept Ministries International. Kay has systematized studying the Bible, developing a set of steps to follow so as to "mine" the details of the given book under study. Being systematized, it is accessible to lay persons, rather than scholar ...more
More about Kay Arthur...

“Greatness is never achieved nor dreams realized apart from great discipline.” 0 likes
“Inductive Bible study draws you into personal interaction with the Scripture and thus with the God of the Scriptures so that your beliefs are based on a prayerful understanding and legitimate interpretation of Scripture—truth that transforms you when you live by it.” 0 likes