Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)

Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  3,208 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Valentine's Day is just a few days away and Arthur can't figure out who his secret admirer is. It might be Fern, but he hopes it's Sue Ellen. Or is it Buster playing pranks? Can you guess?
Published January 30th 1988 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published September 30th 1980)

Ronyell
“Arthur’s Valentine” is another classic book from Marc Brown’s legendary “Arthur” series. When Arthur discovers valentines in his lunchbox, he tries to figure out who this secret admirer really is. “Arthur’s Valentine” is a cute book about the trials of having your first love interest that will make children feel all cuddly inside themselves.

Marc Brown has done it again at both illustrating and writing this book about the trials of puppy love. Marc Brown’s story is cute and bittersweet at the sa...more
Cory Schulz
Valentines day come once a year so it makes sense that Arthur would have a experience as well. This book is about Arthur finding a valentines in his locker. The Valentines does not show who it is from so it turns out that Arthur has a secret admirer. Arthur starts to expect a lot of different people in the class. This book would be terrible in the classroom. First off there is no good moral to the story. Also this encourages kids to start to have crushes on each other, even if the age is not rig...more
Tracy Poff
Third Arthur book. Nice art, and this one even has a real story. Francine is secretly sending Arthur valentines, but Arthur hopes it might be the new girl, Sue Ellen, sending them. Francine has teased Arthur in the previous books, and he gets her back with a little trick, once he discovers that she is his secret admirer. This is the best Arthur book so far.
Kristin
Arthur’s Adventures has always been one of my favorite series but sadly this book is not one of my favorites. The basic plot is Arthur finding valentines from a secret admirer but he can’t figure out just who they’re from. The overall story is cute and would get some giggles from a young group of kids. Unfortunately I was disappointed in the story’s ending. I found it sad and thought there were much better ways to go about it. My biggest problem with this story is that there really is no lesson...more
Brianna Toepfer
his book is about a secret admirer that leaves quite a few love notes for Arthur to find. Until they are supposed to meet at a movie the day after Valentine's Day. I think this book is very cute and that younger kids will probably find it entertaining.
Max
One of the early Arthur books as well as the debut of Sue Ellen, whom I had a crush on when I was younger...

Anyway, it's Valentine's Day and someone is sending Arthur Valentines. Who is it? Things aren't easy for Arthur because during his tries to find out, he gets embarrassed a couple of times. As for who's sending Arthur his valentines...read the book to find out.

The art is still primitive compared to the later entries, but it's getting better as Marc Brown really is developing these character...more
Holly Nelson
Arthur's Valentine is a story about how he was getting valentines before it was even Valentine's Day. Arthur was hoping it was the new girl, Sue Ellen. He kept finding valentines in his lunchbox until he decided to write Sue Ellen one. Sue Ellen was not too thrilled that the card that Arthur gave her caused everyone to laugh at Arthur. When he got home he received another letter that had a movie ticket inside that his secret admirer wanted him to come to the movies. Francine turned out to be Art...more
Meg
Marc Brown does not disappoint. This one isn't anything deep or terribly original, but the art and story formula / length in Arthur books is just perfect for kids of a certain age. A good opportunity to discuss teasing, and a nice little Valentine's story. Boys will appreciate the surprise ending.
Annie Zuckerman
Arthur's Valentine is another quality book in the Arthur series. This is a great book to have around the classroom during Valentine's day so that students can get in the spirit of the holiday.
Arthur comes to school on Valentine's day and the students exchange their valentine's with each other. After they open them, Arthur discovers he has a secret admirer. He thinks long and hard about who it could be, but no one seems to make sense. Him and the secret admirer make a plan to meet at the movies...more
Nelva
This is one of my childhood favorites! I loved rushing my family members home so I could catch the latest episode. I love the old fashion illustrations and book smell that whisks me away back to grade school.

In this adventure Arthur has a secret admire but but he can't put his finger on who it is. He secretly hopes its the new student but will finding out who it is leave him broken hearted from his classmates relentless taunting. This book delves into the first inklings of a childhood crush,lea...more
Laura Carby
At the beginning of the book, Arthur was getting Valentine's from a secret admirer. He didn't know who it was. He got notes in his lunchbox. He thought it may be Sue Ellen, who he had a crush on so he made her a special card. Arthur's friends made fun of him for making the card for her. When Sue Ellen opened her card from Arthur, she couldn't believe Arthur wrote her that mushy letter. Everyone began to laugh. It ended up that it was Francine that left the love letter. In the end Arthur left Fra...more
Alexis Fiore
Arthur has a secret admire and can't figure out who it is! I thought this was a very cute story, It had great illustrations and was easy to read. It is a great choice for younger children and for a classroom environment.
Nickey Vu
best thing ever
Kim
I like Marc Brown and Arthur, but what are we supposed to be getting from this book? Mary Ellen treats Arthur poorly and, in turn, Arthur treats Francine poorly? Clearly Francine is no peach, but who isn't awkward in elementary school. It's so strange that this is so beloved and classic when it's kind of a bizarre little story.
Jenna
This was a great book for making infrences for illustrations. I had the kids look at the picutres after we read each page and talk about how sometimes our facial expressions will say what we are really feeling while our words are saying somthing different. We were able to talk about emotions also! And of coarse love, for our valentines!
Janet Chen
Really sweet Valentines Day book, the song in the book about kissing can get a little crazy especially if you are reading this book to 1st graders. I think it has a funny ending however and the kids really do enjoy it. Great book to read on Valentine's Day. Typical Arthur book and it has all the regular characters.
John Moore
This book is great for the valentines holiday season obviously as a fun tale for children to hear. It also gives them the opportunity to use their skills of deducting to try and figure out just who is arthurs secret admirer in the book and if they can figure it out using context clues.
Molly
As a huge fan of the television series, I was greatly disappointed at the lazy and sub-par writing of the books. The illustrations are very poorly done as well (especially if you have older editions of the books). Not good. just watch the show; it's on at seven on PBS every morning.
Cana
I liked this book so much that when we picked out books at the Lovett library, I pulled FOUR copies of it from the stacks ot check out. The librarian never noticed when she checked us out. Mommy never noticed until we got home. Sigh. I am 5 and I love Arthur.
Katie Green
My students got a little embarrassed while I was reading this book, but they liked the mystery of the secret admirer. Arthur got teased in this book for the Valentine's Day cards. It would be a good book to read before we had our V-Day party.
Dolly
Jan 22, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read this one before, but I can't remember when. In any case, this was a cute story to read during Valentine's Day celebrations. Our girls enjoyed reading along while listening to this book being read aloud by the author on a CD.
Teresa
A classic Arthur story about Valentine's day love letters. Arthur has a secret admirer and spends the week trying to figure it out before the Valentine's party at school. When he finds out who it is he plays a trick on her also.
Literacy Group
Sep 21, 2013 Literacy Group rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: K-1
Shelves: fantasy
Some secret admirer keeps sending Arthur valentines. He can't figure out who it is but hopes that it is Sue Ellen. When he gets a movie ticket and a love letter, he figures out that the secret admirer was Francine.
Katie Roberts
With Valentine's Day fast approaching, Arthur is trying to figure out who his secret admirer is. Is it Fern or his crush Sue Ellen? Could it be his friend, Buster, playing a prank on him? He wants to find out!
Esther
This book list cannot be complete without an Arthur book. I read all the originals when I was a kid and Arthur's Valentine is probably my favorite...the ending is great.
Tonja
Oooh V-day is coming up. What's not to love? Arthur plus Valentines equals perfect. I can't remember if I own this one, if not, I'm going to run out and buy it.
Rima Halig
Cute book to introduce Valentine's Day to class. Kept the students guessing who the secret admirer was. Cute ending, perfect for younger students.
Charlee Jackson
I thought it was sort of rude that Francine, Buster and others were teasing Arthur about Valentine's Day. But I liked the story, it was funny.
Shae
This book is cute too!! It's funny and it makes me laugh. I read this book when I was like 6 and I liked it. I need to read it again.
Mary
Always a fun book to read at Valentine's.
Arthur has a secret Valentine and finally figures out who it is and leaves her "kisses"
  • Clifford's Christmas
  • The Magic School Bus on the Ocean Floor (The Magic School Bus, #5)
  • The Berenstain Bears Trick or Treat
  • Happy Easter, Little Critter (Little Critter)
  • Curious George Goes to the Beach
  • The Magic School Bus Spins A Web: A Book About Spiders
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Eaten: A Book About Food Chains: A Book About Food Chains
  • Voyage to the Volcano (Magic School Bus Science Chapter Books, #15)
  • Twister Trouble (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #5)
  • Franklin Goes to School
  • The Search For The Missing Bones (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #2)
  • The Magic School Bus Plants Seeds: A Book About How Living Things Grow
Marc Tolon Brown is perhaps best known for his Arthur series of children's books.

He lives on Martha's Vineyard and in New York City with his wife, Laurie Krasny Brown. He has three children, sons Tolon and Tucker, and daughter Eliza. The names of his two sons have been hidden in all of the Arthur books except for one: Arthur's Tooth.
More about Marc Brown...
Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur Writes a Story (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's Tooth  (Arthur Adventure Series)