Start by marking “Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)” as Want to Read:
Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)

Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  4,784 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Valentine's Day is just a few days away and Arthur can't figure out who his secret admirer is. It might be Fern, but he hopes it's Sue Ellen. Or is it Buster playing pranks? Can you guess?
Published January 30th 1988 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published September 30th 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Arthur's Valentine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur's Valentine

Rossy
May 25, 2016 Rossy rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
Lots of teasing and I'm not sure how I feel about the ending (definitely, not happy!).
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Well I needed a book from 1980 for a challenge, and it's Valentine's Day, so figured why not. But the ending????? When the kids say, ummmm what???? Well......

*Challenge: A book that came out the year yo were born*
Monica Mathis-Stowe
huh?

He left her at the movies after all the cards she made him? That was my 6 year olds response.
Janet
Jan 20, 2017 Janet rated it did not like it
Just a whole story about kids feeling anxious and making each other feel bad. If Lord of the Flies took place on Valentine's Day.
Ronyell
Mar 10, 2010 Ronyell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-books
“Arthur’s Valentine” is another classic book from Marc Brown’s legendary “Arthur” series. When Arthur discovers valentines in his lunchbox, he tries to figure out who this secret admirer really is. “Arthur’s Valentine” is a cute book about the trials of having your first love interest that will make children feel all cuddly inside themselves.

Marc Brown has done it again at both illustrating and writing this book about the trials of puppy love. Marc Brown’s story is cute and bittersweet at the sa
Kristin
Sep 03, 2012 Kristin rated it liked it
Arthur’s Adventures has always been one of my favorite series but sadly this book is not one of my favorites. The basic plot is Arthur finding valentines from a secret admirer but he can’t figure out just who they’re from. The overall story is cute and would get some giggles from a young group of kids. Unfortunately I was disappointed in the story’s ending. I found it sad and thought there were much better ways to go about it. My biggest problem with this story is that there really is no lesson ...more
La La
Feb 14, 2017 La La rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations are a bit strange.

Do they always use the t.v. animation images on the book covers? My son was an avid Arthur watcher as a child and we had a couple of Arthur themed board games, too. We must not have borrowed any of the books from the library because I had no clue the artwork was different in the books. It is strange that they use the cartoon images on the covers when the illustration are different on the inside. I really liked the way Arthur was rendered because he looked much
Q
Feb 15, 2017 Q rated it it was ok
This story is from Arthur the TV show. If you or your children enjoy the show this may be for them.

While this book is a Valentine's Day book is does not have much love other than Arthur wanting Sue Ellen to be his secret admirer and then his secret admirer sending him cards. It does have kids picking on one another for liking another and instead of thanking others for their Valentine they laugh and make fun. There is a lot of rejection as well in this book. Lastly, the picture are terrible.
Janina
Feb 18, 2017 Janina rated it liked it
Shelves: rdg-350
A really cute read. I adore the Arthur series and his adventures. This story is about Arthur who keeps getting letters from a secret admirer right before valentines day. He can't seem to find out who it is, but he really hopes it's the new girl in class. In the end he meets his secret admirer and there is such a cute picture for the ending page. This would be cute to read to kids around valentines day. I think for youngsters they can really relate to it.
Irene Ramos
Feb 14, 2017 Irene Ramos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-ebook
I love reading the Arthur's Adventure Series by Marc Brown to my daughters when they were younger. The story was really cute. A great story to read on Valentine's Day.
Alesha Palmer
Mar 01, 2015 Alesha Palmer rated it it was amazing
Authors valentine.

Author was reviving valentines from an anonymous person. He wondered who it was, so he began to think of the possibilities. He had several people in mind, but he hoped it would be Sue Ellen. The next one explained that there was a treat in his lunch box. The day before Valentine’s Day, Buster made a card for Sue Ellen to give to her. Everyone found out about the letter, and began teasing him. Buster didn’t want to go to school. He felt very self-conscious and wanted to be alon
Lizzy Herda
Apr 05, 2016 Lizzy Herda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Arthur’s Valentine Marc Browns
Arthur starts getting secret admirer letters around Valentines Day at school. He starts getting embarrassed and thinks they are from his crush in his classroom. He receives multiple within a day, hides them in his coat pocket for no one to sees then has them blow out when he goes to play soccer outside and everyone sees them. All his classmates laughing at him he becomes extremely embarrassed. The narration in this book is also very appropriate for young readers. To
Andrew Stockle
Through the entire book the reader is left in suspense as Arthur tries to find out who his secret Valentine’s Day admirer is. Furthermore, the reader is launched into Arthur’s thoughts as he receives a secret valentine day after day. Arthur secretly hopes that his valentine is the new girl “Sue Ellen”, he even suspects that it is actually her and sends her a love note of his own. Near the end of the book however, the mystery of the secret valentine is finally revealed. I have really never been a ...more
Paiton Larson
Sep 30, 2016 Paiton Larson rated it did not like it
Someone was sending Arthur valentines cards, but he couldn’t figure out who. Arthur put all of his valentines in his pocket, and they fell out. All of his classmates teased him. Arthur made Sue Ellen a valentine, who he hoped was sending him valentines, and all of his friends made fun of him again. Arthur found out that his secret admirer was Francine. Arthur goes to the movies to meet Francine, and ends up leaving her with just a box of kisses. In my classroom, I could see myself using this aro ...more
Max
Jun 28, 2013 Max rated it really liked it
One of the early Arthur books as well as the debut of Sue Ellen, whom I had a crush on when I was younger...

Anyway, it's Valentine's Day and someone is sending Arthur Valentines. Who is it? Things aren't easy for Arthur because during his tries to find out, he gets embarrassed a couple of times. As for who's sending Arthur his valentines...read the book to find out.

The art is still primitive compared to the later entries, but it's getting better as Marc Brown really is developing these character
Cory Schulz
Apr 28, 2014 Cory Schulz rated it liked it
Shelves: arthur-books
Valentines day come once a year so it makes sense that Arthur would have a experience as well. This book is about Arthur finding a valentines in his locker. The Valentines does not show who it is from so it turns out that Arthur has a secret admirer. Arthur starts to expect a lot of different people in the class. This book would be terrible in the classroom. First off there is no good moral to the story. Also this encourages kids to start to have crushes on each other, even if the age is not rig ...more
Holly Nelson
Oct 02, 2012 Holly Nelson rated it it was amazing
Arthur's Valentine is a story about how he was getting valentines before it was even Valentine's Day. Arthur was hoping it was the new girl, Sue Ellen. He kept finding valentines in his lunchbox until he decided to write Sue Ellen one. Sue Ellen was not too thrilled that the card that Arthur gave her caused everyone to laugh at Arthur. When he got home he received another letter that had a movie ticket inside that his secret admirer wanted him to come to the movies. Francine turned out to be Art ...more
Laura Carby
Apr 18, 2012 Laura Carby rated it really liked it
At the beginning of the book, Arthur was getting Valentine's from a secret admirer. He didn't know who it was. He got notes in his lunchbox. He thought it may be Sue Ellen, who he had a crush on so he made her a special card. Arthur's friends made fun of him for making the card for her. When Sue Ellen opened her card from Arthur, she couldn't believe Arthur wrote her that mushy letter. Everyone began to laugh. It ended up that it was Francine that left the love letter. In the end Arthur left Fra ...more
Nelva
Jul 29, 2013 Nelva rated it it was amazing
This is one of my childhood favorites! I loved rushing my family members home so I could catch the latest episode. I love the old fashion illustrations and book smell that whisks me away back to grade school.

In this adventure Arthur has a secret admire but but he can't put his finger on who it is. He secretly hopes its the new student but will finding out who it is leave him broken hearted from his classmates relentless taunting. This book delves into the first inklings of a childhood crush,lea
Annie Zuckerman
Nov 13, 2012 Annie Zuckerman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holidays
Arthur's Valentine is another quality book in the Arthur series. This is a great book to have around the classroom during Valentine's day so that students can get in the spirit of the holiday.
Arthur comes to school on Valentine's day and the students exchange their valentine's with each other. After they open them, Arthur discovers he has a secret admirer. He thinks long and hard about who it could be, but no one seems to make sense. Him and the secret admirer make a plan to meet at the movies
Rosa Cline
Jan 21, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, valentines
Arthur starts getting annonomous Valentines a week or so before Valentine's DAy. He doesn't know who is sending them to him, and he starts getting teased by his friends at school. He starts getting very frustrated about it all and hopes they come from a new girl in the class. He writes her a very nice Valentine's day card; but she's not the one sending him his. In the end he gets Valentine cards that are clues to help him figure out who sent it to him.
Jenna
This was a great book for making infrences for illustrations. I had the kids look at the picutres after we read each page and talk about how sometimes our facial expressions will say what we are really feeling while our words are saying somthing different. We were able to talk about emotions also! And of coarse love, for our valentines!
Bailey
Feb 23, 2016 Bailey rated it it was amazing
The Arthur books are some of my favorite books, I read all of these when I was younger. This one is one of my favorite's because I loved celebrating valentine's day in elementary school because we all brought valentines for each other. It is one that kids can relate to, all of the Arthur books are very easy to relate to for many age groups I believe. Really recommend this series of books.
Janet Chen
Jan 19, 2011 Janet Chen rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Really sweet Valentines Day book, the song in the book about kissing can get a little crazy especially if you are reading this book to 1st graders. I think it has a funny ending however and the kids really do enjoy it. Great book to read on Valentine's Day. Typical Arthur book and it has all the regular characters.
Kim
Feb 09, 2011 Kim rated it it was ok
I like Marc Brown and Arthur, but what are we supposed to be getting from this book? Mary Ellen treats Arthur poorly and, in turn, Arthur treats Francine poorly? Clearly Francine is no peach, but who isn't awkward in elementary school. It's so strange that this is so beloved and classic when it's kind of a bizarre little story.
Tracy Poff
Third Arthur book. Nice art, and this one even has a real story. Francine is secretly sending Arthur valentines, but Arthur hopes it might be the new girl, Sue Ellen, sending them. Francine has teased Arthur in the previous books, and he gets her back with a little trick, once he discovers that she is his secret admirer. This is the best Arthur book so far.
John Moore
This book is great for the valentines holiday season obviously as a fun tale for children to hear. It also gives them the opportunity to use their skills of deducting to try and figure out just who is arthurs secret admirer in the book and if they can figure it out using context clues.
Dolly
Jan 22, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read this one before, but I can't remember when. In any case, this was a cute story to read during Valentine's Day celebrations. Our girls enjoyed reading along while listening to this book being read aloud by the author on a CD.
Meg
Feb 01, 2014 Meg rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Marc Brown does not disappoint. This one isn't anything deep or terribly original, but the art and story formula / length in Arthur books is just perfect for kids of a certain age. A good opportunity to discuss teasing, and a nice little Valentine's story. Boys will appreciate the surprise ending.
Molly
As a huge fan of the television series, I was greatly disappointed at the lazy and sub-par writing of the books. The illustrations are very poorly done as well (especially if you have older editions of the books). Not good. just watch the show; it's on at seven on PBS every morning.
  • Clifford’s Birthday Party
  • The Berenstain Bears Trick or Treat
  • The Magic School Bus On the Ocean Floor
  • Curious George Goes to the Beach
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Eaten: A Book About Food Chains: A Book About Food Chains
  • The Magic School Bus Spins A Web: A Book About Spiders (Magic School Bus)
  • Happy Easter, Little Critter (Little Critter)
  • Franklin's Valentines
  • The Magic School Bus Sees Stars: A Book About Stars
  • Merry Christmas, Amelia Bedelia
  • Froggy's First Kiss
  • The Search For The Missing Bones (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #2)
  • Voyage to the Volcano (Magic School Bus Science Chapter Books, #15)
Marc Tolon Brown is perhaps best known for his Arthur series of children's books.

He lives on Martha's Vineyard and in New York City with his wife, Laurie Krasny Brown. He has three children, sons Tolon and Tucker, and daughter Eliza. The names of his two sons have been hidden in all of the Arthur books except for one: Arthur's Tooth.
More about Marc Brown...

Arthur Adventure Series (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Chicken Pox: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Tooth  (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Christmas (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Baby (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Teacher Trouble (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Underwear (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur Meets The President