Start by marking “The Baby Name Bible: The Ultimate Guide By America's Baby-Naming Experts” as Want to Read:
The Baby Name Bible: The Ultimate Guide By America's Baby-Naming Experts

The Baby Name Bible: The Ultimate Guide By America's Baby-Naming Experts

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  72 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
How can you tell if a name is too popular or not mainstream enough, wonderfully creative or just plain weird? How can you find the name that is perfect for you and your baby? America's baby-naming experts, Pam Satran and Linda Rosenkrantz, are here to help. They've packed all of their unique wit and wisdom into the best, most complete baby-name book ever, which includes

• M
Published February 20th 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The Baby Name Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Baby Name Bible

Reese
Jan 18, 2009 Reese rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, names
Humorous and insightful, despite a couple of factual errors. The authors' voices come through with sass and smarts, and a whole bunch of great names and ideas. They weigh in on trends, pros and cons, and all kinds of angles that may not otherwise occur to the average expectant parent. All in all, an enjoyable, educational read.
Calypso Jane
May 31, 2014 Calypso Jane rated it did not like it
More snooty than helpful. A lot of the "definitions" aren't that at all but snotty little quips, which makes me wonder why the authors bothered including so many names they wouldn't recommend. Reading this book is like talking names over with an annoying mother-in-law. Extremely subjective guide, I would not recommend this to anyone unless you are as obsessed with celebrity baby names as the authors or can't form your own opinions on name choices.
Jenny
Mar 18, 2012 Jenny rated it liked it
The Baby Name Bible is a compendium of all sorts of possible names and their variations, both for boys and girls.

I got this book from the library to help think of names to name our daughter. The book claims 50,000 names and they probably do have that in there, but I will say a good number of the names I would never use, either because they are too complicated or because they are too...modern for my taste (like, for instance, I would not name my daughter Answer, one of their suggested names). Ea
Marnie
Feb 08, 2008 Marnie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to name a baby
This book was fun to read but I disagreed with the authors' taste in names, most of the ones they recommended were really weird- odd names like Matilda, Tallulah, & Cheever, or names like Bijou, Bella, & milo, that sound like names for dogs, or Scarlett & Lola that sound like names for a hooker, which I dont think anyone wants that image for their daughter. The names I like, names I grew up with like Heather, Danielle, Nicole, Melissa, Jennifer, Scott, etc, they say are outdated & ...more
Jillaire
Jun 05, 2010 Jillaire rated it really liked it
I used this book when we were trying to name Gunnar. I've learned that I have a name obsession, so with this pregnancy I bought the book. The authors have written several baby name books. This book gives an alphabetical list of names with meanings, like other baby books, but unlike others it also gives commentary about the popularity trends, connotation, and other bits for each name. It's amusing and helpful. A great resource for baby namers, and a fun read for name lovers.

Update: We named her H
Rachel C
Jan 13, 2010 Rachel C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pregnancy
This is a really good, thorough name book. The interesting thing about this book is the insight/predictions/opinions on the future popularity and appeal of any given name. They even provide a star code for "best bets." The co-author Linda Rosenkrantz has written so many name books though, it makes me wonder: which came first, the future popular name or her book categorizing it as such? (i.e. the chicken or the egg?)
Chante
Mar 12, 2009 Chante rated it liked it
This is actually the first and only baby name book I've read. I like it for its profusion of names (obviously. i mean... 50,000 is a lot to choose from!)... but at the same time, it can be a challenge to sift through that many names. The authors add little opinion comments about the names... Sometimes they are helpful considerations, but other times they are just downright negative comments... So the book does contain some evident bias. But ultimately, who cares what they think! :)
Melissa
Aug 12, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: expectant parents, fiction writers
Recommended to Melissa by: Beth Casper
Shelves: parenting
Adam and I read the entire section of boy names before Oscar was born. I think we found one name* in it that we added to our list of names, but we thoroughly enjoyed discussing and rejecting names (!) and reading the origins and meanings.

*The name is Addison, which means "Son of Adam." I loved this name; Adam was less enthusiastic. Turns out that more and more girls are being named Addison. What is up with that?! No respect for literal meanings!
Lesli
May 08, 2012 Lesli rated it really liked it
Extremely useful name book. Very comprehensive and gives definitions. Easy to use, straight forward. I think I will actually check it out again, and re-read all the boy names. I'm not sure my husband and I are getting anywhere or not with our name picking. I like the long list of variations it gives for names too.
Marisa
Sep 03, 2008 Marisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-my-library
Probably the best baby naming book I've come across. Includes meanings and author commentary for each name. Very helpful!
Edgar
Sep 07, 2008 Edgar rated it liked it
Okay. Just a long list of names and meanings. This book has more names than many of the other books, but is just above average.
Colleen
Jul 15, 2008 Colleen rated it really liked it
Good ideas on names. Let's you know which ones not to choose and the guidelines for choosing a good name for your baby.
Jon
Sep 24, 2008 Jon rated it it was amazing
very thorough, with good capsule descriptions/opinions
G.C. Nash
Aug 05, 2011 G.C. Nash rated it it was amazing
Truly THE Baby name Bible.

Long Review TK
Christopher
Dec 07, 2008 Christopher rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Expectant parents
Haha...this is a pretty fun read
Shaynah Kowitz
Shaynah Kowitz rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2016
Kaycee
Kaycee marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Dec 17, 2015
Pamela Satran
Nov 09, 2015 Pamela Satran rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
S
S rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Cherrydale
Cherrydale marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Haley Arzt
Haley Arzt rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2015
A.R.
A.R. marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Brigiett Yarbrough
Brigiett Yarbrough marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Nissa
Nissa rated it liked it
May 07, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
Emily
Emily added it
Mar 13, 2015
Sarah Keener
Sarah Keener is currently reading it
Feb 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Pamela Redmond Satran is the author of 20 books, both fiction and non-fiction. Her most recent novel, The Possibility of You, is written as Pamela Redmond and published by Simon & Schuster's Gallery Books. A New York Times bestselling humor writer, she has a new humor book, Rabid: Are You Crazy About Your Dog or Just Crazy?, due out from Bloomsbury in September 2012. She is the creator with Li ...more
More about Pamela Redmond Satran...