Start by marking “The New Comedy Writing Step by Step” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The New Comedy Writing...
Gene Perret

The New Comedy Writing Step by Step

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Three-time Emmy Award-winner Gene Perret's "Comedy Writing Step by Step" has been the manual for humor writers for 25 years. In this new book, his first update, Perret offers readers a treasure trove of guidelines and suggestions covering a broad range of comedy writing situations, along with many all-important insights into the selling of one's work. Perret covers all asp ...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Linden Publishing (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The New Comedy Writing Step by Step, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Comedy Writing Step by Step

Some well-received novels employ the device of immersing the narrative in a richly detailed context that enable the narrator to spice the story up with hopefully fascinating insights into this 'hidden' world. Examples I have in mind are Life of Pi, where we learn about zookeeping; The Remains of the Day, where we learn about being a butler; Frøken Smillas fornemmelse for sne, where we learn about glaciology; The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, where we learn about 1940s superhero com ...more
W.J. Howard
This book really opened my eyes to comedy writing being more formula based than I ever expected. I'll be able to use the techniques I've learned in this book to improve my own comedy writing. Enjoyed reading all funny quotes and skits in it as well.
I picked up “The New Comedy Writing Step by Step” because I wanted to introduce more humor into my writing, and I wanted a detour from my standard reading about the craft of writing (you know: characters, plots, arcs, etc. etc.). I'm glad I did.

Before opening this book, I felt that comedy was something reserved for those I would classify as "comic geniuses." In my hand was a book written by a gifted comic writer—a Grandmaster, so to speak. And having read many books on the game of Chess, I found
Mark Speed
If you have ambitions to write comedy, this is a great primer. Perret's a comedy-writer who's written for the best of the best. He gives you step-by-step exercises that will have you writing solid stand-up material.
Gene Perret shows his age in some of the examples he chooses (with the exception of Emo Philips who is a timelessly brilliant writer), but his advice is exactly what I need to hear. This book lays out actions to take to become a comedy writer, and it also reminds you that no one can take them for you but if you believe you have the potential, no one else can stop you from being successful.
A bit disappointed in the book. it came highly recommended, but I don t feel I learned anything I didn t really know already. I liked some of his excercises and anecdotes though. It took me a while to get through itn. It was an OK read.
Colin Cox
Some of it feels dated at times, but a great book. One of the best about comedy writing. Great ideas. Great advice. Interesting stories.
JZ Murdock
A very good book by a guy who has seen, if not all, way more than most mortals in comedy.
I'm reading this and thinking..."this is what I keep telling Colin!" Thanks Gene!
A good book for anyone that wants to learn comedy writting or stand-up.
Jimmy Tulpan
Jimmy Tulpan marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Naresh marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Contrariwise is currently reading it
Oct 07, 2015
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
"The New
"The New is currently reading it
Jul 07, 2015
Ramon Leon
Ramon Leon marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015