Songs of Earth and Power

Songs of Earth and Power (Songs of Earth and Power #1-2)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  792 ratings  ·  41 reviews
The Song of Power opened the gateway to the Realm of the Sidhe, allowing young Michael Perrin to slip through. Now Michael faces years of captivity and deadly struggles for the future of the Realm and of Earth--leading finally to a terrible confrontation on the streets of Los Angeles, with the soul of humanity at stake.

Weaving the power of music, poetry, and myth into a he...more
Published November 15th 1996 by Tor Fantasy (first published 1984)

Kevin Keller
Mar 25, 2008 Kevin Keller rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Everyone
One of my all time favorite books. Mixes myth, religion and history to create a realistic world underpinning our own. I can't begin to adequately describe this book, but recommend it highly to anyone with an imagination who believes that music and words can change the world.
Jake
I was lent this book by my assistant manager, a generally wonderful human being who responded to my complaints about having packed up all my books before moving by lending me this, and several other things as well. I started with this because it’s out of print, belonged to her son, and frankly, looked the most interesting. (The other is a copy of Relic, which was a book before a movie, and several of my co-worker’s seem to like. I may read it eventually, but I’m kinda on a non-fiction kick at th...more
Brenda
I loved it. Were I inclined, I could have looked up/listened to all the concertos mentioned in the first part and garnered a deeper appreciation for classical music. I passed on that, though, because the unfolding mystery intrigued me. Come on, otherworldy beings appearing by the boy's bed in the night, discussing things much like doctors gathered around a patient's bed?

Others have mentioned skipping "The Infinity...", but without that you may not entirely appreciate what the protagonist is expe...more
Mairi
Note: Please take this review with a grain of salt. Or a few million of them. Reading this was an exercise in expanding my horizons and I fully expected not to be able to finish it when I started. If you like fantasy in general, pay me no mind.

I dragged myself through The Inifinity Concerto, the first book of this two-in-one. Fantasy is not my usual reading fare and, while the words didn't quite move around on the page like they usually do, they were obviously not happy sitting still. It took me...more
Jonathan
The death of Kristine

In my edition there is a rather odd postscript added by the author about a girl called Kristine. He wrote about her death, she then died in real life and he felt and appears to still feel great pangs of lumpen guilt, so he has installed her as the interesting yet somewhat peripheral female love interest in the Serpent Mage.

I strongly recommend that you read the second of these two (The Serpent Mage), without reading the Infinity Concerto. In the second, all of the references...more
Mark
Sep 22, 2008 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone who has ever read Mercedes Lackey and thought: "...Really?"
Recommended to Mark by: Dad
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I have kind of a love/hate relationship with 'urban' fantasy. Of all the possible genres in fiction, it is hands down my favorite. But for whatever reason, it's also the order and species of writing within which I have the hardest time finding a truly satisfying story. Even my go-to guy, Charles De Lint (who I love, and no mistake), will more often than not leave me itching for something just barely more... something. I don't know if I'll ever be able to articulate exactly what it is I'm looking...more
Nadine May
During my research for my new novel, I always make the intent to draw to myself the very information I need. Songs of Earth and Power by Greg Bear was once again an incredible synchronicity. His powerful story telling skill about multi-dimensional realms was phenomenal. During the reading of this book my inner visions took me to so many alternative realities, they almost merged with my present reality. It's very uncanny how this fantasy novel can awaken the dreamer within me and make me walk bet...more
Terry
I was completely enthralled by these two books and it had nothing to do with style or substance but with story that galloped along just out of reach and trapped me in its clutches somehow until I was transported to another realm. How a book does that, how a reader does that in reading a book, is a total mystery to me. Rating my experience is pointless and I think each individual reader will have to try it and see if the magic happens for them. When it does work as this book did for me, playing k...more
Koen
“Songs of Earth and Power” comprises of two stories by Greg Bear: “The Infinity Concerto” and “The Serpent Mage”. The original story is from 1984 and this edition of 1992 has an Afterword added by the author.

I’ve read the first book in Dutch a long time ago and could never find the Dutch version of The Serpent Mage and therefore stuck with the feeling that the story wasn’t over yet. Early May of this year, we went to the SF Convention at the Antwerp Expo and found this edition with both books i...more
Mark Stone
Jul 29, 2007 Mark Stone rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone willing to go to the trouble to track it down.
Shelves: fantasy, out-of-print
From this book, I learned that it is possible for even the most brilliant book to go so thoroughly out of print that it is never seen or heard from again. I only managed to read it and it's sequal, The Serpent Mage, because they were lent to me by a friend. I've been looking off and on ever since, but I haven't

The book begins with a mystery, so there isn't much I can say. It's an intense story, a modern fairy tale in the truest sense of the term, a coming of age story set against a backdrop of...more
Scott G. Newman
A think a critic of this book wrote that Greg Bear wrote these two fantasy books (amid all of his science fiction) just to show what good fantasy is. I tend to agree. The first half of the Infinity Concerto is a little tedious and Mr. Bear's young age when he wrote of a lot of it is evident. That said, it's one of my favorite fantasy book sets. I do think it needs to be reread two or three times--at least.

Peter
One of, if not the, best books ever!!: This book captures your imagination from start to finish. I am a fantasy fan, and this book didn't disapoint, combining make-believe elements in such a powerful way that it seems more believable than any other fantasy book I've ever read! Both books that make up this one publication are great, but their contrasting styles make this the best book I've ever read.
Jason
A reread and still I find it hard to put down. The story line was very interesting and went into good details. I like how Greg Bear combined music with Sidhe and entwined them into the story. Pacing of the book was a little up and down, but did not detract from the book. Bear is known for his Science Fiction, but this fantasy books is still one of my favorite single books.
Chaitanya
I think the Only one Word that comes to mind when I think about this Book is "Imagination"
Everything about this book is unusual...i will have to come up with something totally imaginative to describe a book with such creative dimensions...
Definitely a must read for those who Enjoy Reading Fantasy Fiction in the True Sense...
Cinco
Jul 31, 2007 Cinco rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Fantasy readers who are looking for something to think about
Recommended by Heather; I really loved this book. It has a lot of interesting themes--linguistics, philosophy, and a very interesting alien (parallel universe) culture mixed with 1980s Los Angeles. I wasn't thrilled with how the book treated romance and sexuality, but thankfully those plotlines were relatively easy to ignore.
D.m. Livingston
Excellent and original. Bear has a unique take on fairies, i.e., non-Tinkerbellish, and it's always refreshing to read a fantasy book that isn't the normal Quest for the Magical Thingamabob. It's darker than most fantasies I've read, and the emotional characters remind of the old Thomas Covenant series.
Andy
I originally picked this to read due to the online hype about the quality of this book/duology. I was not truly disappointed, though I found that the book didn't live up to the claims. It was good, I enjoyed it, but I was very able to put it down and get on with something else.
I read this in an earlier binding; it's actually two books, called The Infinity Concerto and The Serpant Mage. It's pretty great, another fascinating world with ties to Christian mythology and Transcendalist American poetry... quite a page-turner, and has a solid love story too.
Andy Berdan
Tricia McKean
AWESOME! A true joy to read and re-read over and over again. It's got everything: an AMAZING concept, a love story, magic, Science-Fiction-esque weirdness, a true villian, poetry and music, a dazzling history and back story.
I want to be a Maker.
Mary
Any and all books which mix up the world of fairy and modern day earth intrigue me. Greg Bear is one of the masters of this style and I devoured this book in two days.

I suspect I will be rereading this as soon as I locate the others.
Bax
Jun 17, 2008 Bax rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
A solid entry in the through the wardrobe to fantasyland subspecies.

It was one of the first books to bring a darker, 'realistic' feel to the subject, and did it better than most of the books that followed in its footsteps.
Tater
This is a fantastic book I found the first seventy pages to be a real chore though.
Richard
i loved these when i was a teen as they seemed so much better than the fantasy shite that was spewed about. thinking back i remember them fondly but i can kinda see that they were just well written fantasy shite
John
A beautiful piece of work. One of the best modern-day dark fae books I've ever read. Amazing world and culture building and he did an excellent job of tying it into world history. I'd read this again.
Cathy
I absolutely love this book. The tone is a little cold at times and i found it hard to empathise with some of the characters but the story was so fascinating, it didn't worry me.
Karl Schaeffer
I've read Greg Bear's "Mars" series. He's a good "hard" SF writer. I was surprised to learn that his first work was fantasy. I found it a bit slow starting out, but the book hooked me.
Brandon
One of the first books I ever read, and still one of my favorites. I reread it every couple years and always find something new and fun about it. Highly recomended.
Jake
A surprisingly satisfying work of fantasy from an author known primarily for his SF work. If anything, the second reading was even more enjoyable than the first.
Twyla
I read this ages ago and had this memory of it being a really great book. Then I read it again and was kind of disappointed. It wasn't anything like I remembered it.
  • Finder (Borderlands)
  • Artifact
  • The Broken Wheel  (Chung Kuo, #2)
  • The Practice Effect
  • The Unlikely Ones (Pigs Don't Fly, #1)
  • The Book of Jhereg (Vlad Taltos, #1-3)
  • Majestrum A Tale Of Henghis Hapthorn (Book 1)
  • The Blackgod (Children of the Changeling, #2)
  • Forge of Heaven (The Gene Wars, Book 2)
  • Orion Arm (Rampart Worlds, #2)
  • Endless Things (The Aegypt Cycle, #4)
  • In the Company of Others
  • The Flying Sorcerers
  • Keeper of the Keys (The Cycle of Fire, #2)
  • Destiny's Road
  • Kabuki, Vol. 7: The Alchemy
  • Ascending (Expendables, # 4)
  • The World of Tiers Volume 2 (World of Tiers Omnibus 4-5,7)
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

More about Greg Bear...
Foundation and Chaos (Second Foundation Trilogy, #2) Eon (The Way, #1) The Forge of God (Forge of God, #1) Darwin's Radio (Darwin's Radio #1) Blood Music (Ibooks Science Fiction Classics)