Start by marking “Channeling Cleopatra” as Want to Read:
Channeling Cleopatra

Channeling Cleopatra

“Get the past life of your dreams!”

Leda Hubbard, a forensic pathologist, gets the job of her dreams when an old school friend hires her to collect and authenticate the DNA of the famous Cleopatra. It’s all great fun for Leda until, during a massive disaster, her colorful dad, the dig’s security specialist, is killed by a group trying to hijack the precious material for a “
Published January 28th 2011 by Smashwords Edition (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Channeling Cleopatra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Channeling Cleopatra

Chris
Kerry
Sep 25, 2012 Kerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 7, sf, reread, 2005
Leda Hubbard is an ex-Navy forensic anthropologist and amateur Egyptologist in the near future. When she catches up with friends from her university days, she finds herself caught up in a clandestine search for the remains of Cleopatra VII. Chime and Tsering are now "blended", their consciousnesses joined inside Tsering's body since Chime's death. Together, they are now Chimera, and want Leda to be their sponsor, Nucore's agent at a dig in Alexandria in the hope DNA from Cleopatra might be found ...more
Paul
Sep 13, 2008 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been discovered that within the human DNA strands of every person is a mechanism that is constantly re-encoding. At the moment of death, a person’s character, personality and memories are recorded in a helix. It is little more than an interesting scientific discovery until a method is developed to download those recordings into human hosts. Suddenly grave robbery is a major growth industry.

Leda Hubbard is happy in the dull world of forensic anthropology. One day, Gabriella, her old colleg
Katy
Jun 04, 2011 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What if you could pick any person from history and, through the computerized infusion of their DNA, receive their personality - their soul, for a better word - to share your body? When a young scientist named Tsering's wife - Chime - died, he developed techology that transferred her DNA (which, as it turns out contains not only the genetic structure of a person, but their personality as well) into a computer program that implanted onto his retina, created the first "blended" person. They call th ...more
T. Strange
Sep 03, 2013 T. Strange rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
First: I love the concept of this book, and I think it has a great story.

I find the writing a little problematic in places. Some sentences were phrased very awkwardly, to the point that I had to reread them several times to understand them. The dialogue said in English by German speakers is often grammatically incorrect for German sentence structure, which defeats the whole purpose of altering the syntax. It's distracting and irritating, as well.

The characters seem a little flat and inconsiste
Artsy Robot
It felt like the author had an idea of what they wanted but was rushed to make this. It was a nice read though, and I definitely don't regret reading it because the blending is a cool concept. However, I had a hard time getting attach to the characters, and had a few moments while reading that I didn't feel as much emotion as I thought I would for the scene. The action and history in it is pretty cool and that's what honestly hooked me into the book.
Kristin
Jun 25, 2012 Kristin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was really boring. It took me 12 days to force myself to read it. And it should have been really interesting. It's a sci-fi book where they have developed the technology to blend your DNA with the DNA of famous people from the past. So you could have their memories and personality traits. I wouldn't recommend this one.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
its hard to read this after reading the sequel you keep wondering how things ended up to make Cleopatra 7.2 happen, but a good dynamic story, with a lot of imagination the idea that ones memories are imprinted in the dna of all cells of the body is an interesting concept. The dynamics of the characters does show better in the sequel... read this series in order would be my advice.
Ratforce
This genetic engineering adventure is a science fiction novel featuring one of your favorite elements: Egypt. The characters race to resurrect the essence of Cleopatra, with all of the ethical questions and danger that entails.
Lexie
Sep 29, 2014 Lexie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
I have...many feels.
Jacque wong
Lite and fluffy, and a little wacky. Quick read.
Kathleen
interesting idea, average characters and plotting
N.A. Fedorak
Jan 03, 2017 N.A. Fedorak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this originally as a 14 year old. It holds up well, and even if the science isn't accurate, it's funny and well-written, and it's got a very upbeat feeling to it that I like.
Edward L
A Good Science Fiction Store about implanting DNA to acquire personalities of deceased historical people.
Simran
Sep 24, 2009 Simran rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was an okay book
Susan
Jan 12, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist, 2002
This book was awesome... the thought of sharing your body, voluntatily or not, with an actual historical character, especially one as noteworthy as Cleopatra! Wow
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it did not like it
Jul 04, 2012
Jacqueline Dearinger
Jacqueline Dearinger rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2009
ladymurmur
ladymurmur rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2012
Anne Hunter
Anne Hunter rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Beth
Beth rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2014
Bas
Bas rated it it was ok
Oct 08, 2013
Charlotte Magic
Charlotte Magic rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2008
Esther_a
Esther_a rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2007
Natasha
Natasha rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2017
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2007
Greg
Greg rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Linda Wu
Linda Wu rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • True Lies
  • Space Opera
  • Cracked! A Magic iPhone Story
  • The Ninth Life (Lives #1)
  • Genesis (Mark Taylor, #0.5)
  • Chick Lit and Other Formulas for Life
  • A Measure of Disorder (Mother-Earth, #1)
  • The Blue Lawn
  • Wired Love: A Romance of Dots and Dashes
  • At the Sign of the Star
  • The Phoenix
  • Cissy Funk
  • Devil in Vienna
  • How the In-Laws Wrecked Christmas
  • Resistance (The Institute, #2)
  • When Girlfriends Chase Dreams
  • Growing Up Weightless
  • Sing a Song of Tuna Fish: Hard-To-Swallow Stories from Fifth Grade
11906
Elizabeth Ann Scarborough was born March 23, 1947, and lives in the Puget Sound area of Washington. Elizabeth won a Nebula Award in 1989 for her novel The Healer's War, and has written more than a dozen other novels. She has collaborated with Anne McCaffrey, best-known for creating the Dragonriders of Pern, to produce the Petaybee Series and the Acorna Series.
More about Elizabeth Ann Scarborough...