Start by marking “From Eternity to Here: Rediscovering the Ageless Purpose of God” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
From Eternity to Here:...

Frank Viola

From Eternity to Here: Rediscovering the Ageless Purpose of God

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  285 ratings  ·  29 reviews
From Eternity to Here presents a sweeping saga of God's greatest passion. Comprised of three thematic stories, each theme explores the timeless purpose of our God and His plan and mission for the church.
Published April 1st 2011 by David C Cook

To ask other readers questions about From Eternity to Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Eternity to Here

Bart Breen
Viola's Heart added to his Head

Up front, I expected I would enjoy and appreciate this book even before I opened it. I have read most of Viola's works and I've come to appreciate his very strong cerebral and disciplined approach to ecclesiology (the study of the Church).

I was very pleasantly surprised however in this book that there was something more; Viola's heart. Where Viola in his earlier books has worked to both deconstruct and reconstruct how "church" is viewed, practiced and experienced i
Jud Kossum
Frank Viola’s latest book, From Eternity to Here: Rediscovering the Ageless Purpose of God is not an easy one for me to shove into a loved-it or hated-it slot on the shelf of books I’ve read. I was outraged, inspired, impassioned, incredulous, and challenged by this book.

From Eternity to Here tells of “the ageless purpose of God” in three parts, weaving what the author hopes is a compelling story that – as the subtitle suggests – dates from before time began.

I found two problems early on – one d
Jeff
This may very well be the most revolutionary book I've read outside of The Bible, itself. Frank Viola has presented some radical truth in his newest book. He already had me reeling from his historical treatment of what's wrong with today's "church" in Pagan Christianity, and then gave us a great description of what "church" should look like in Reimagining Church. This book, while not quite about the same topic, takes the purpose of the Church even further.

Presented in three sections, From Etern
Jenevie
Frank Viola's "From Eternity to Here: Rediscovering the Ageless Purpose of God," paints a gorgeous portrait of Christ and the church. I love the style of his writing and the parallel's he drew from the Old Testament to New Testament. His perspective and revelation of God's creation and His purpose, is a very beautiful one-- one I've not come across before.

Surely I am no theologian, therefore I did not read this book to seek errors; so my 5-star rating is due to the inspiring writing of Frank Vi
Brian Stevenson
To discover God's original intent for humanity, Frank Viola explores the imagery found in the only four chapters of the Bible which have not been tainted by The Fall: Genesis 1 & 2 (pre-fall) and Revelation 21 & 22 (after the effects of the fall have been erased). God's ageless purpose has always been to acquire a Bride, a House, a Family, and a Body that is by him, to him, and through him.
Mark Franklin
I really wanted to like this book, and for the most part I did. However, the 2 star rating is due to some dubious extrapolations from scripture used to support Viola's chosen metaphors to express God's purpose. For example, it is totally valid to talk about the Church as a girl Christ pursues, and about God's purpose to make His bride beautiful, but it is maybe not so much to say that scripture says 90 year old Sarah was physically transformed into a young hot babe after God's promise to give he ...more
Renee
This is a modern day masterpiece. The writing style is powerful and the message is one that we rarely hear today. I've been studying the Bible for many years and almost every page was an "aha" moment where I discovered a new insight. The book connects the dots of Scripture into a beautiful sweeping narrative. I bought the book because of the endorsements from the top missional leaders today http://www.FromEternitytoHere.org

"From Eternity to Here" is a modern day classic.
Carol
I found this book eye opening in the way he expresses us in Christ, a concept I have always believed, but never saw such depth in. Each thought took a familiar concept, the bride, the house, the family, and made it into a flowing life in Christ.
Tim Ogle
Viola always rattles me with a solid foundation and well built explanation.

His writings have filled in the dots for many answers I have sought for in Scripture.

Thank you Mr. Viola for pointing to Jesus, instead of a system of beliefs.
Daniel
This for me had a deep affect on my life, I cannot but highly recommend this book to everyone whether you're Christian or not. It will challenge some people, but it really is scriptural. And, it's well written.
Fredrick
I am amazed at the depth of wisdom displayed in this book.Frank Viola writes like he plays with words and above portrays Jesus Christ in a manner that a baby would fall in love with.
Tim Heywood
already read this once last year sometime, excellent handling of what the church could really be like, given a fresh approach to how God sees His church.
J Rock
I appreciated the way that Viola wrote the same story three ways. I thought it improved the understanding to have it presented for different perspectives.
Glenn Steers
The "big picture" on God's purpose (as if He needed one!) Excellent summation of the Bible and all its themes. Viola's Magnum Opus!
Jferrich Oba
This book is a must read for any true believer the God of bible.I could not put it down , it lines up with scripture.
Travis
At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, this is one of those books that may actually be life-changing.
Amanda Kuykendall
If you want to grow as a Christian, this book is a must read!! Wow!!
Bigpicture
Every now and again a book comes along that captures the essence of Christianity in a remarkable way. These are the writings that subsequent generations refer to as “classics”, and they are usually only recognized for their profundity and timelessness once the author is no longer around. There are many examples (although not too many!): Watchman Nee’s The Normal Christian Life, Andrew Murray’s Abide in Christ, Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s The Cost of Discipleship, C.S. Lewis’ Mere Christianity, Chester ...more
Katherine Graham
I do not usually read non-fiction of any sort, especially religious non-fiction, because it is difficult to be absorbed into what I am reading. This book, on the other hand, was a true gem.

1.) Writing Style: This book read both as a sci-fi/fantasy/romance that made it easy to visualize the comparisons from scriptures many Christians may have grown up hearing so often that they often feel mechanical. You can see the examples when reading instead of being simply taught another way to interpret th
Danielle
I received this book from one of the DTS speakers in YWAM. His topic was on the true church, the ekklesia, and this book was obviously a source for his teaching.

In his book, Viola takes a look at what the Bible has to say about God's plan in reaching out to mankind, both in creation and in sending Jesus. He clearly outlines three functions of the followers of Christ and takes time to expound on each idea.

My main struggle with this book was a sense that I had heard it all before. I often had to
Kristen
It is rare that I read a book I feel privileged to partake in. I have a few of my top most-recommended books that would fall into this category. I am pleased to say Frank Viola’s From Eternity to Here is now one of those books for me.

This book reads much more like the story it is meant to be. It tells us of a God who loves us more than we could ever comprehend. A God whose mission and purposed passion shines with such glory, our natural response cannot help but be faithful praise.

Frank Viola sha
James B
Yeah, a good read. Reminded/learned some things I needed to. Like a good medicine- accurately prescribed.
It's the basis for his other books- of which I have an ongoing prescription.
Lauren
May 12, 2009 Lauren rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lauren by: Bill Spears
Frank has some really brilliant insights into the Bible, and how we have distorted Christianity into something more than what it's meant to be, simply--Jesus.
Steve Bedford
The message was good, but the delivery seemed rather tedious. It is hard not to fall into the "I've head this before, give me something new" trap.
Terry Craig
While I like some of Frank Viola's outside-the-box thinking, this book takes FOREVER (like from here to infinity) to make a point.
Richard Wright
Frank likes this book more than his readers. I became tired of it. But love Frank Viola and what he stands for.
Christina
See my interview of the author on my blog! http://w2christina.blogspot.com
Mike
Wonderful insight into God's divine purpose for his church.
Darla
Darla is currently reading it
Sep 01, 2015
  • Jesus Manifesto
  • Created for Community: Connecting Christian Belief with Christian Living
  • Organic Church: Growing Faith Where Life Happens
  • Chronological Study Bible: Explore God's Word In Historical Order- New King James Version (NKJV)
  • Revolution
  • God Without Religion: Can It Really Be This Simple?
  • Paul's Idea of Community: The Early House Churches in Their Cultural Setting
  • Jesus Mean and Wild: The Unexpected Love of an Untamable God
  • The Last Word: Beyond the Bible Wars to a New Understanding of the Authority of Scripture
  • The Misunderstood God: The Lies Religion Tells About God
  • Making Jesus Lord: The Dynamic Power of Laying Down Your Rights (From Loren Cunningham)
  • Why Men Hate Going to Church
  • The Forgotten Trinity
  • Authentic Relationships: Discover the Lost Art of "One Anothering"
  • For the Beauty of the Church: Casting a Vision for the Arts
  • Paul: Apostle of the Heart Set Free
  • The Myth of a Christian Nation: How the Quest for Political Power Is Destroying the Church
  • In His Image

Hi Friends. I write books that seek to make the Bible come alive and throw fresh light on old or neglected subjects.

Here are my published books:

THE DAY I MET JESUS
REIMAGINING CHURCH
PAGAN CHRISTIANITY
FINDING ORGANIC CHURCH
THE UNTOLD STORY OF THE NT CHURCH

You can learn more about these books a
More about Frank Viola...
Pagan Christianity?: Exploring the Roots of Our Church Practices Reimagining Church: Pursuing the Dream of Organic Christianity The Untold Story of the New Testament Church: An Extraordinary Guide to Understanding the New Testament God's Favorite Place on Earth Finding Organic Church: A Comprehensive Guide to Starting and Sustaining Authentic Christian Communities

“Consider this thought: Adam’s entire existence was based upon what he ate. His diet determined his destiny. It also determined the entire course of human history.” 0 likes