Start by marking “Abraham Lincoln: His Speeches and Writings” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Abraham Lincoln: His S...

Abraham Lincoln

Abraham Lincoln: His Speeches and Writings

4.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The most comprehensive and readable one-volume collection of Lincoln's writings ever published. -David Herbert Donald.
Published May 14th 2014 by Da Capo Press (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Abraham Lincoln, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abraham Lincoln

Paul
Jul 13, 2012 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I return to Lincoln regularly, as should (I firmly believe) every American reader. His unique command of the English language, arising out of his roots as a frontier autodidact, is absolutely spellbinding. To this he adds a depth of thought that places him among the greatest of political philosophers. To these already prodigious talents we must also add his extraordinary career (cut horribly short) as a statesman -- arguably the greatest American statesman.

The famous speeches are mostly all here
Edward Weiner
Mar 25, 2014 Edward Weiner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of civil war history of which the best book is Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era by James M. McPherson. However, no matter how much you read in history books, there is no better way to understand what really happened and how people felt about the events than to read what was written by contemporary participants and observers. This book, free from Tantor Media or Audible.com, really fills in the gaps. Why did Lincoln issue the Emancipation Proclamation when he did? This audi ...more
Don
I simply cannot get over the eloquence of this guy... I mean, how in the world could he write this poetic stuff for the ages without a word processor? His metaphors are so understandable that we ought to all them parables.
The way his writing style as well as some key aspects of his philosophy matured over time is striking. He's sorta my Jesus -- thoroughly flawed, completely human, but all in all, a pretty cool dude.
Luke
May 03, 2012 Luke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Abe Lincoln is viewed as one of the most important presidents this country has ever had. This sentiment is largely true. Bt you cant quite appreciate his service to the country until to read some of his speeches and letters. Get into his head in this book and you're love for him will grow even more. What a champ.
Adam
Dec 15, 2008 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am reading excerpts from this for my American Political Thought class that I am taking this fall. So far, so good. I finished my class tonight and I loved reading Lincoln's own words. Check out his speech at Copper Institute. Great stuff.
Nicole
Very interesting to read many of Lincoln's letters, speeches and fragments. The heft of the book sort of ruined the joy of reading though!
Brian
Aug 17, 2009 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth it just to read the 1854 Peoria speech. Far and away the best book I've read in years.
Suzy
Mar 03, 2010 Suzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four score and seven years ago.....this book helps you really digest what Lincoln was saying.
Whitney
Aug 24, 2008 Whitney marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
(WSJ B2 Haymowitz 6/30/08)
Rachel Rohm
Rachel Rohm rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Marissalowery
Marissalowery marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Daniel Bolton
Daniel Bolton marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Darrin Smiddy
Darrin Smiddy rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Richard Labbe
Richard Labbe rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Paul Gibson
Paul Gibson is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2016
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Kyle D Potter
Kyle D Potter rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Brad Barbin
Brad Barbin marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Betty Almes
Betty Almes rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
David
David added it
Apr 28, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Karissa Lee
Karissa Lee marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Rebecca MacDonald
Rebecca MacDonald marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Kaerber
Kaerber marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
  • Four Histories ("Richard II", "Henry IV Part One", "Henry IV Part Two", "Henry V")
  • Witness to Gettysburg
  • Patriotic Treason: John Brown and the Soul of America
  • Creeds of the Churches: A Reader in Christian Doctrine from the Bible to the Present
  • Notes of Debates in the Federal Convention of 1787 Reported by James Madison
  • Lincoln and Douglas: The Debates That Defined America
  • This Mighty Scourge: Perspectives on the Civil War
  • Apostles of Disunion: Southern Secession Commissioners and the Causes of the Civil War
  • Bonaventure
  • Personal Memoirs, Vol. 2
  • Richmond Burning: The Last Days of the Confederate Capital
  • The Notes: Ronald Reagan's Private Collection of Stories and Wisdom
  • John Milton: The Major Works (Oxford World's Classics)
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Civil War
  • Lee's Lieutenants: A Study In Command, Volume III:  Gettysburg to Appomattox
  • Lincoln's Sword: The Presidency and the Power of Words
  • The Forgotten War: America in Korea, 1950-1953
  • Teach Yourself Better Handwriting
Abraham Lincoln was the sixteenth President of the United States, serving from March 4, 1861 until his assassination. As an outspoken opponent of the expansion of slavery in the United States, Lincoln won the Republican Party nomination in 1860 and was elected president later that year. During his term, he helped preserve the United States by leading the defeat of the secessionist Confederate Stat ...more
More about Abraham Lincoln...

“you can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time” 1 likes