Start by marking “The Metaphysics of Star Trek ” as Want to Read:
The Metaphysics of Star Trek

The Metaphysics of Star Trek

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Using examples from the shows, this witty and absorbing volume looks at the "Star Trek" series and explores a broad spectrum of philosophical ideas and theories, such as "personhood" the nature of a person, of minds, of consciousness and of the emotions; the nature and extent of knowledge and of free will; the nature of personal survival; the issue of what does or should m ...more
Published April 30th 1998 by Basic Books (AZ) (first published June 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Metaphysics of Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Metaphysics of Star Trek

Suzanne
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! My only complaint is that there wasn't more of it. I would love to read a revised edition. Or anything else he might want to write, really.

I thought the different topics he chose to dissect were probably the most interesting and relevant he could have chosen. Certainly they were topics that I, myself, as a lifelong Trek fan, have spent a lot of time thinking about over the years. His approach was appealing to me for that reason.

His intent seemed to be to explore
Boyd
Although I do not consider myself a Trekkie, I thought the arguments, in particular the one on artificial intelligence, and form and matter (when the characters are beamed up and down, is that really them?) makes for good philosophical discussion. When philosophy is used in popular culture, I always have much praise, as it can create an interest for those who may not read philosophy, or has an interest, but would not know where to begin.
Carmen
This is pretty neat, I especially enjoyed the last chapters, on temporal distortions. The personhood discussion is interesting too.
Eric
Beyond geeked out? Maybe, but it's an honest philosophical endeavor with an optimistic upshot.
Alan
Sometimes it take Star Trek to nudge a person into greater interests such as philosophy. This book was an avalanche in my gathering of enthusiasm for philosophy.
Karl
Good book to really make you think about life in a different perspective. It gets into the soul and where it comes from, how tangible it is and if it should be messed with.
B
Interesting read!
A
A marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
sila esekielu
sila esekielu marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Guy-Enigmatico
Guy-Enigmatico marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Fred Condo
Fred Condo marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Robert
Robert added it
Jul 19, 2015
Aubrey
Aubrey marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Daniel Tinnirello
Daniel Tinnirello marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Katie Ramos
Katie Ramos marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Frank Arzate
Frank Arzate marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
K.P. Merriweather
K.P. Merriweather marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Yomiko
Yomiko added it
May 28, 2015
Raeda
Raeda marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
  • Star Trek Creator: The Authorized Biography of Gene Roddenberry
  • Star Trek Compendium Rev/Ed
  • Star Trek, Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise
  • Sarek
  • Deep Space Nine Companion (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
South Park and Philosophy: Bigger, Longer, and More Penetrating Moving People, Goods and Information in the 21st Century: The Cutting-Edge Infrastructures of Networked Cities Moving People, Goods and Information in the 21st Century A Money Mind at Ninety Sustaining Urban Networks: The Social Diffusion of Large Technical Systems