Start by marking “The Metaphysics of Star Trek ” as Want to Read:
The Metaphysics of Star Trek

The Metaphysics of Star Trek

Using examples from the shows, this witty and absorbing volume looks at the "Star Trek" series and explores a broad spectrum of philosophical ideas and theories, such as "personhood" the nature of a person, of minds, of consciousness and of the emotions; the nature and extent of knowledge and of free will; the nature of personal survival; the issue of what does or should m ...more
Published April 1st 1998 by Basic Books (AZ) (first published June 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Metaphysics of Star Trek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Metaphysics of Star Trek

Suzanne
Feb 18, 2013 Suzanne rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! My only complaint is that there wasn't more of it. I would love to read a revised edition. Or anything else he might want to write, really.

I thought the different topics he chose to dissect were probably the most interesting and relevant he could have chosen. Certainly they were topics that I, myself, as a lifelong Trek fan, have spent a lot of time thinking about over the years. His approach was appealing to me for that reason.

His intent seemed to be to explore
Boyd
Aug 24, 2012 Boyd rated it it was amazing
Although I do not consider myself a Trekkie, I thought the arguments, in particular the one on artificial intelligence, and form and matter (when the characters are beamed up and down, is that really them?) makes for good philosophical discussion. When philosophy is used in popular culture, I always have much praise, as it can create an interest for those who may not read philosophy, or has an interest, but would not know where to begin.
Carmen
Aug 29, 2014 Carmen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: soft-sciences
This is pretty neat, I especially enjoyed the last chapters, on temporal distortions. The personhood discussion is interesting too.
Rex Libris
Jan 01, 2017 Rex Libris rated it did not like it
I would have thought two of my favorite subjects combined, philosophy and star trek, would be interesting. I was wrong. Reading this reminded me why getting out of the philosophy Ph.D program I was in was the best decision of my life.
Danni Green
Feb 18, 2016 Danni Green rated it really liked it
Shelves: spaaaaaace
This book was a hoot and a half! I stopped to watch many of the episodes cited in the book as I was reading it, which made it even more interesting. It does lean pretty heavily on the Original Series and Next Generation episodes, with only a small handful of references to Deep Space 9 and Voyager, which was disappointing to me as a die-hard DS9 fan. Overall, I thought it was pretty cool to take a look at the Star Trek universe(s) from this philosophical perspective.
Sean Hoade
Jan 23, 2016 Sean Hoade rated it it was amazing
This kind of book makes me glad I majored in Philosophy -- ideas are selected from the series and movies and in-depth philosophical analysis is made of how these are executed. My brain feels very satisfied!
Karl
Jul 23, 2009 Karl rated it it was amazing
Good book to really make you think about life in a different perspective. It gets into the soul and where it comes from, how tangible it is and if it should be messed with.
John Hawkins
Apr 08, 2016 John Hawkins rated it liked it
Get your geek on and read philosophical questions using the TV character from Star trek TNG, Data an innocent Android.
Randy Wiggins
Randy Wiggins rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2011
Beltanebrain
Beltanebrain rated it it was ok
Feb 27, 2013
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2010
Craig
Craig rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2008
Karl
Karl rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Dragonslayer
Dragonslayer rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2009
Knowan Attall
Knowan Attall rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
mary martinez
mary martinez rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2015
Steve Cauthren
Steve Cauthren rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Bryan
Bryan rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2008
Louis Lipp
Louis Lipp rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Sara Elizabeth
Sara Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2014
Bill Stanford
Bill Stanford rated it really liked it
May 01, 2012
Tblist
Tblist rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2014
Allen Massey
Allen Massey rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2012
Stephen h humphrey
Stephen h humphrey rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Lindsay Lennox
Lindsay Lennox rated it liked it
May 15, 2012
Gregory Casteel
Gregory Casteel rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2014
Jeremiah Mcclellan
Jeremiah Mcclellan rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2014
Orin
Orin rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2007
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Mike Barbour
Mike Barbour rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Beyond Star Trek: From Alien Invasions to the End of Time (The Physics of Star Trek and Beyond, #2)
  • The Ethics of Star Trek
  • Star Trek Compendium Rev/Ed
  • Sarek
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation - Technical Manual
  • The Making of Star Trek
  • The Starfleet Survival Guide (Star Trek)
  • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion