Start by marking “Slow Death” as Want to Read:
Slow Death

Slow Death

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  294 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Never Trust a Chained Captive.

That was one of the rules David Parker Ray posted on the isolated property where he and his girlfriend Cynthia Hendy lived near New Mexico's Elephant Butte Lake. They called their windowless trailer The Toybox. Over the years they lured countless young women into its chamber of unspeakable pain and horror--and filmed every moment.

A Satanist,
Published February 5th 2013 by Pinnacle (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Slow Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow Death

Armand
Jan 07, 2016 Armand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, the subject matter is rather horrific. But this book is not an outstanding piece of literature because of the rudimentary, downright primitive writing skills and somewhat obvious style of the author. The subject matter held my attention long enough to want to finish the story, but the writing is certainly no big deal. Sorry.
Danielle
I don't know how to rate this. It was interesting and fairly written, but the content is so horrific, that I can't say I liked the book. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that has difficulty reading things about sexual violence and torture. This book is as graphic. David Parker Ray was one twisted individual, and it's unnerving reading about his crimes and the audio and video tapes that he made. I almost put it down after reading the prologue. I don't know how the regular people who were involve ...more
Donna
Jan 16, 2014 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
meh, was curious about the real story behind this case, but it was so badly written, I needed to find a trailer to live in before I could get down to it's level.
Sabrina Rutter
May 15, 2009 Sabrina Rutter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Another book on David Ray Parker's crimes.
Jewelianne
This book contains some extremely disturbing content. I think I may swear off true crime forever after reading it. If you do choose to read the book, do so with caution. It will sicken you, and you may have nightmares, especially if you are a woman. I definitely do not recommend it for squeamish readers.

I could only give it two stars because I found the structure of the book sort of confusing. Parts of it should have been fleshed out more; for example, the history and or psychology of the perpet
Andrea Hickman Walker
This is a rather disturbing book. As an aspie, I don't really have empathy for the suffering of the victims, only for how I would feel in their place (ie: I have sympathy for them, but not empathy). The thing that disturbs me most is the one question the book doesn't answer. We know the how, we know the what, we know some of the who, but we don't know the why. And since he's dead, we probably never will. And I really want there to be a why. I think that the idea that people do this sort of thing ...more
Joe
Oct 06, 2011 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a long while ago. I was at a truckstop in Memphis, Tn on a layover and another driver gave me a copy of this book to read. I have not read a book in a long time so I tried this to pass the time and got hooked on reading ever since! I read the 1st chapter and could not put it down, the story was disturbing and could not believe it actually happened. I don't recomend this book to the squeamish reader' I could not sleep good that night. Otherwise a great book to read.
Felisha Daemer
This book...I say I liked it because it is the only book I have ever picked up, started reading and then could not continue to read for the graphic detail of the novel itself. I tried to read it three times. Finally on my way to Germany I asked my friend to not let me get off the plane without leaving the book behind. I still think about buying it again just to see if I can stand reading it again.
Paige
Aug 03, 2010 Paige rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is well rewritten and is well informed on what happened. However, while I did like this book it is not for the light hearted. You have to be interested in True Crime novels to begin with. Also, when you realize this actually happened its a little disturbing to say the least. If you enjoy True Crime novels I would recommend it, however if you don't, I wouldnt recommend it at all.
Dollie
Dec 14, 2013 Dollie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I usually enjoy true crime books. I could not wait to finish this one. Was uninterested in anything David Ray Parker had to say in his audiotapes, so didn't read any of them after the first one. Hard to believe there are people like this on Earth. It wasn't badly written and it was an important trial. So, now I know about New Mexico's sickest serial torture-slayer ever.
Mike Barbour
I liked "Cries in the Desert" better. I'm still not convinced that David Ray was prolific serial killer. The lack of bodies, or any non-circumstantial evidence, really, is an insurmountable problem. He was a sick old pervert, for sure, but some guys are making a good living on the internet doing what he admitted to more than a decade ago.
Steven
Jul 15, 2015 Steven rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I see no point in finishing this book. Having read 80%, the worst is likely behind me. But the thing is so dark, the actions of the main character so evil, I just found the uninspired chronicle of this true crime not really worth the time I was putting into it. So many books, so little time…
Christina Thomas
Okay now I have mixed feelings on this book if I had the option I would give 3 1/2 stars, there were times when I was so into it that I was not able to put it down and times when I was like get on with it.... the author did his research and I like the details about how the prosecutor had such a hard time on what seemed like it would be an open/close case, and I cant believe some of the facts! ( I dont want to give any spoilers) so I would recommend this book to people if you can stomach the horr ...more
Never read this. This is the most terrifying and horrific book I've ever read.
Sonia
Jul 29, 2014 Sonia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I'm rating the content.. It's quite... Horrible. I don't think it's the book itself I disliked. Not sure. I also found myself getting bored during a lot of the back stories & descriptions. Got about 3/4 of the way. Never finished it.
Crystal Jordan
I'm a huge true crime fan, but I couldn't handle this book. I read about half of it a few years back, and it made me sick. I couldn't finish reading it.
Robyn
Jun 01, 2015 Robyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG! I am so sorry for the women who fell into this man's hands. NO woman deserves such cruelty. This book can be hard to read in some parts.
Edwina Hall Callan
Jan 17, 2014 Edwina Hall Callan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2010
A True Crime book that is well written and fast paced but very hard to read.
Bone chilling to think that there are people this sick and twisted out there walking around.
This is the stuff that nightmares are made of.
On May 28, 2002, David Parker Ray dropped dead in his jail cell of a heart attack.
May he rot in Hell.
Shea Hemperley
Nov 02, 2015 Shea Hemperley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has to be the sickest book I have ever read in my life. I read this for a paper I was writing in college when I was studying Forensics. I had to stop reading it because it was giving me nightmares and I don't creep out easy. I cannot believe anyone could be this sadistic and twisted in the head.....I will say I used this for another class just because I was already reading it and every had shot up at the end of my book report and the teachers mouth dropped when I was done so....I got an A h ...more
Alison
Mar 02, 2016 Alison rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
This was the first true crime book I have ever read. It was salacious but kind of boring. I don't think I'll read more in the genre.
Valerie
Dark. Very dark. But also very boring. Too wordy.
Francy
Aug 23, 2014 Francy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down even when it made me nauseous.
frankcastle083
May 14, 2008 frankcastle083 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: True crime readers.
Haven't finished this one yet, but this isn't for the squeamish, thus far. David Parker Ray is crazy as F**K. The author's style of writing is not my favorite and the relations of the people, as well as their accounts of the story, can be confusing and convoluted on account of this.
If you wonder what makes people tick, what motivates some of us to get up in the morning, here is a litte insight of one person on the fringe of normal...
Lindsay Ward
This book contains very graphic content which you should expect by the description of the book. If this doesn't flag anything for you, the first paragraph sets the tone for the rest of the book. I had to read this for a college course and it was very non-biased and contained a lot of information in regards to the killers themselves and the trials/police work.
Lawanna
Apr 07, 2012 Lawanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kellie Hazlett
Oct 21, 2011 Kellie Hazlett rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who like true crime books
Recommended to Kellie by: Kayleigh
David Ray was a sick sick man! I'm glad he died! The book was okay. It seemed to me like the author repeated himself a lot through out the book.
K.kissee
Jan 04, 2010 K.kissee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this book was a little to gruesome for me. but if you like detail this book is for you
Jennifer seaton
Oct 12, 2009 Jennifer seaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG.... this guy was sick... from page one i dont think i can put this book down.
Coral
Jul 06, 2009 Coral rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Its good...but really effed up.
I cant read alot at a time.
Audrey
Unreal that people like this actually exist! Very scary!
  • The Sex Slave Murders: The Horrifying True Story of America's First Husband-and-Wife Serial Killers
  • Baby Be Mine
  • Body Dump
  • To the Last Breath
  • Dismembered
  • Cries in the Desert
  • Bitter Almonds: The True Story of Mothers, Daughters, and the Seattle Cyanide Murders
  • Cold Storage
  • Born Evil: A True Story Of Cannibalism And Serial Murder
  • No Mercy: The Host of America's Most Wanted Hunts the Worst Criminals of Our Time--In Shattering True Crime Cases
  • No One Can Hurt Him Anymore
  • By Their Father's Hand: The True Story of the Wesson Family Massacre
  • Murder In The Family
  • Fiend: The Shocking True Story of America's Youngest Serial Killer
  • Encyclopedia of Serial Killers
  • The BTK Murders: Inside the "Bind Torture Kill" Case that Terrified America's Heartland
  • Safe Harbor: A Murder in Nantucket