Start by marking “Harmless People” as Want to Read:
Harmless People

Harmless People

A study of primitive people which, for beauty of...style and concept, would be hard to match." -- The New York Times Book Review

In the 1950s Elizabeth Marshall Thomas became one of the first Westerners to live with the Bushmen of the Kalahari desert in Botswana and South-West Africa. Her account of these nomadic hunter-gatherers, whose way of life had remained unchanged fo
Published October 23rd 1989 by Vintage (first published January 1st 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Harmless People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harmless People

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
A very accessible ethnography for those of us with no background in the field. In the 1950s, Elizabeth spent long periods of time living with the Bushmen of the Kalahari and developed a deep love for them, and they for her. She presents them here as real people, and she made me care about them as individuals rather than just subjects of study.
Max Carmichael
Feb 11, 2014 Max Carmichael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anecdotal and empathic and likely more reliable, and certainly more readable, than most formal ethnography, this wonderful memoir builds modestly, non-judgmentally, and gradually to its lyrical, dreamlike final scene, a description of an all-night dance.

One of the great benefits of a story like this is that it reveals the continuum connecting us with our other animal partners. Not that the Bushmen are more like animals than us civilized people, but that we're all animals together in this ecosyst
Richard Reese
Mar 23, 2015 Richard Reese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Folks who spend their lives staring at computer screens in vast corporate cubicle farms have a powerful tendency to drift off into vivid daydreams of gathering nuts, roots, and melons in wild country, with their hunter-gatherer ancestors, in a world without roads, cities, or alphabets. For them, there is treasure to be found in Elizabeth Marshall Thomas’ book, The Harmless People. It’s a beautiful book.

Elizabeth was 19 when she first met the Bushmen of southern Africa. Her parents led three exp
Karen Chung
Aug 25, 2015 Karen Chung rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reposting my July 13, 2007 Amazon review of this book:

A firsthand, close-up view of a little-known and little-understood people

The Bushmen are well known - and intriguing - to phoneticians, because Bushman languages, along with Bushman-influenced languages such as Zulu and Xhosa, are the only ones in the world with linguistic clicks. As a teacher of phonetics, that was my own original motivation for reading this book. I also thought it would be useful background to have before visiting South Afr
Carol
Mar 30, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author's family of anthropologists lived with the "Bushmen" of the Kalahari in the mid 1950's. An added chapter at the end tells of changes when she returned in the 1980's. She is observant and writes beautifully. Although young at the time, she is clearly well trained in her observations. She does not romanticize the hard life in the desert (including stories of people dying of hunger or thirst and a great hunter crippled by a snake bite) but one must respect the amazing skills of the peopl ...more
Jane
Oct 13, 2010 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An engrossing and beautifully written small book about the Bushmen (now called the San people) of the Kalahari Dessert and other areas. Mrs. Thomas has a poet's soul, and her portrayl of these gentle souls in their native soil moved me. The book was first written around 1955 and has been updated to illustrate how the Bushmen fare today.
Valerie
Jan 19, 2009 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Debbie
Recommended to Valerie by: circumstance
As well as being an amazing folklorist/fantasy writer, Thomas's book on the San is one of the best I've ever read about the Kalahari and its life and people. I think I bought this one in South Africa or Zimbabwe. When I flipped through it I found a postcard I'd started to Debbie and never finished.
Eve K
Jan 07, 2016 Eve K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an absolutely stunning, fascinating and heart wrenching book. I recommend it to everyone and will myself read it many times over.
Jessica Merrill
Feb 01, 2015 Jessica Merrill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this book for a class, and I found it much more enjoyable than I expected. That is, I expected it to be good already, but I didn't expect for it to be so good and rich in detail. I especially liked that in her account of the Bushmen, Thomas mentioned the expedition crew as little as possible in order to really focus on them. And that's why it's so easy to become emotionally invested in these people to the extent that the epilogue (thirty years after the expedition) is much more hea ...more
Lisa Kilgore
Apr 28, 2012 Lisa Kilgore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent autobiographical account of the author's time spent living with the hunter/gatherer tribe of the African desert, the people who were featured in the movie "The God's Must be Crazy" (which by the way, according to the author, was a very poor portrayal of these people).

This book held me in thrall because in no way, by no stretch of my imagination, could I ever have imagined the lifestyle these people have. It is barren, without houses or washing machines or e-readers or teapots...or shoe
Adam
Aug 15, 2007 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one starts off slowly, but really does a good job of painting a realistic picture a) of how the Bushmen of the Kalahari live and b) of how European and American people viewed them at the time of the Author's experience, circa 1958.

While she's obviously very forward-thinking for her time, there is a hint of patronism in the text, the same kind of patronism a lot of rich liberals get when discussing those poor, uneducated people. Like, "if only they knew how, they'd be more like us."

Anyway,
Preston
Oct 21, 2013 Preston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Nonfiction. Excellent treatise on the bushmen of the Kalahari written in the 1950s. Where they are and how they are now in 2013 i do not know, but i am certain their lives have changed since the book was written. Maybe some good, some bad now. Then: Yaws. Women leaned over while standing to piss while men squatted. It was their law. Seeing the universe differently from this oppressive dominant culture, part of which you are reading this from, is neither wrong nor incorrect. They can survive and ...more
Brett
May 07, 2011 Brett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grace Best-Page
Dec 27, 2014 Grace Best-Page rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Absorbing, enthralling, captivating, told simply and well. I only detected one small note of cultural bias. Beautifully descriptive, and sometimes not for the faint of heart.
Susan
Jan 24, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written by an American woman who lived for several years among the Bushmen of southern Africa in the 1950s, this is an extremely fascinating look into a hunter/gatherer culture that existed for thousands of years but has since been destroyed by the encroaching world around them. I found myself charmed as I got to know these people through Elizabeth Marshall Thomas' eyes. The last chapter, written in 1987, is hard to read as it becomes clear that their way of life has disappeared forever. But my ...more
Pancha
This was written in 1959, and I don't know if I should blame the era or anthropology for the condescending tone the author often takes on. She's constantly describing the Bushmen in terms of animals, especially the women. She also keeps reassuring the reader that she believes the Bushmen when they tell her something, rather than just relating what the Bushmen said. Since she was there living with them, I don't take issue when she talks about her experiences and opinions, as long as they are rese ...more
Alex Tank
Feb 26, 2013 Alex Tank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
beautiful narrative account of Bushmen groups in the Kalahari. Every scene is a mix of vivid and moving descriptions of the harsh environment and the both group and individual relationships to the environment. you can feel the pounding sun, the endless dust, and the starvation and thirst on every page. my favorite scenes described Bushman cultural technology, like poisoned arrows, multi day tracking expeditions, honey gathering, animal butchering, vine/tuber hunting. also interesting are the pra ...more
Maryanne
The Harmless People 11142009 Elizabeth Marshall Thomas (I read the original w/o 30yr update)
Richp
Jan 31, 2015 Richp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for a class in 1974. It was a pleasant surprise for a college frosh.
Rebecca
Oct 09, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I initially had to read this for an Anthropology class, but I read it again for pleasure a few years later. Still think it's great! It details the lives and beliefs of different Bushman tribes and I found it fascinating. I appreciate the account being given in the first person point of view (much more interesting than if it were a simple book of facts). Read if you love learning about different cultures and how these amazing people are able to keep alive with so little!
Dec 30, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Read this for my anthropology class and actually really enjoyed it. I can't believe in the 1950's there were people that lived in remote areas not knowing about America. Bushmen are people of South Africa moving from place to place in the vast Kalahari desert. They move around so much because of scarce resources. They don't own much, live in scherms, use every part of their kill, and have radical ideas about God, but in their world - it all makes sense.
Kendell
In the 1950's, the author spent time among the Bushmen of the Kalahari desert and documents their way of life. It reminds me of many native people who know the seasons and climates, the edible plants, how to utilize every part of the animals around them, and how to survive in harsh environments. The epilogue was a sad reminder of the loss of culture, knowledge and community when isolated people are exposed to western culture and materialism.
Joe Loyd
Feb 01, 2011 Joe Loyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthropology
Thomas recounts her experiences among Bushmen, largely before their culture was contaminated by Western materials and ways. Her descriptions of the Kalahari and its people are picturesque and refreshing. She compares the Bushmen culture with possible cultures of our ancient ancestors, who also lived in Africa 100,000 years ago. This book is a classic for both anthropology and literature.
Kate
Jul 30, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've seen this book cited as an example of a society where there is no violence... having read the book, I want to clear up one thing: the title, "The Harmless People," comes not from Elizabeth Marshall Thomas's evaluation of Bushman culture. Instead, it is the English translation for what the Bushman call themselves: I believe this is a very important distinction to make.
BreAnna Long
Jul 16, 2016 BreAnna Long rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very interesting look at a group of people who live so simple, yet complex lives. I enjoyed this comprehensive introduction to such a fascinating culture. Thomas' writing style is very easy to read; I love the way she is able to draw the reader into these people's lives.
VoNique
If you like anthropology you'll likely enjoy this book. I had to read it for a class, so that always sucks the fun out of things. It was good for what it was. It was pretty interesting to learn about a civilization completely different than my own.
Valerie
Aug 01, 2013 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you read some thought-provoking fiction, read The Harmless people. It's an easy read about the bushmen of Africa. They're culture is different than ours; I think it creates a good opportunity to look at things we think are high priority.
Alisa
Jan 22, 2011 Alisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, this is not a book I would pick up on my own. I read it and wrote three papers with it in my Anthropology class. It really is a diary of visiting the Bushmen, but gives a lot of insight into how a vastly different culture operates.
Ryceejo
For a book I had to read for school, this was pretty interesting. Some parts were very detailed/graphic that it was hard to read, but this book wasn't about enjoyment but a true narrative of real people living in Southwest Africa.
Alicia Penney harnum
One of my top 10 favorite books of all time out of thousands that I have read. I appreciate the simplicity without diminishing the complexity of these people and their lifestyle. Beautifully crafted study and writing.
  • The Mountain People
  • The Heart of the Hunter: Customs and Myths of the African Bushman
  • The Witch-Hunt in Early Modern Europe
  • Frauds, Myths, and Mysteries: Science and Pseudoscience in Archaeology
  • Nisa: The Life and Words of a !Kung Woman
  • Don't Look Behind You! A Safari Guide's Encounters with Ravenous Lions, Stampeding Elephants, and Lovesick Rhinos
  • The Yanomamo
  • African Laughter: Four Visits to Zimbabwe
  • Animism: Respecting the Living World
  • The Mottled Lizard
  • Napoleon
  • Tales from the Expat Harem: Foreign Women in Modern Turkey
  • The Second Death Of Goodluck Tinubu (Detective Kubu, #2)
  • The Nuer: A Description of the Modes of Livelihood and Political Institutions of a Nilotic People
  • Malaria Dreams: An African Adventure
  • Shaka Zulu
  • Remote People: A Report from Ethiopia & British Africa 1930-31
  • Across the Empty Quarter (Penguin Great Journeys)
Elizabeth Marshall Thomas is the author of The Harmless People, a non fiction work about the Kung Bushmen of southwestern Africa, and of Reindeer Moon, a novel about the paleolithic hunter gatherers of Siberia, both of which were tremendous international successes. She lives in New Hampshire.
More about Elizabeth Marshall Thomas...