Start by marking “God and the New Physics” as Want to Read:
God and the New Physics

God and the New Physics

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  724 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
How did the universe begin and how will it end?

What is matter?

What is mind, and can it survive death?

What are time and space, and how do they relate to ideas about God?

Is the order of the universe the result of accident or design?

The most profound and age-old questions of existence -- for centuries the focus of religion and philosophy -- may soon be answered through

Published September 1st 1983 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about God and the New Physics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God and the New Physics

A Brief History of Time by Stephen HawkingGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared DiamondA Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill BrysonCosmos by Carl SaganWonderful Life by Stephen Jay Gould
History of the Universe and Earth
61st out of 126 books — 40 voters
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill BrysonA Brief History of Time by Stephen HawkingGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared DiamondCosmos by Carl SaganThe Systems View of Life by Fritjof Capra
Best General Science Books
264th out of 306 books — 339 voters

More lists with this book...

Manny
Celebrity Death Match Special: God and the New Physics versus The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Scene 1

[MIT, 2012. Graduation day. BRAD and JANET]

JANET: Oh Brad, wasn't it wonderful! Didn't Betty look radiantly beautiful! Just an hour ago she was plain old Betty Monroe. Now she's Betty Monroe... PhD!

BRAD: Er... yeah.

JANET: I wonder if I'll ever complete my doctoral dissertation on the relationship between faith and cosmology? Sometimes it seems impossible.

[She wipes a tear from her eye. Music starts
Hazel
Jan 19, 2009 Hazel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite excited about this book. There's so much stuff in here that I've always wanted to know about, mainly regarding quantum physics and relativity. And Hawking somehow never did it for me. I now know for example that time doesn't really exist... or well it does actually, but there's no such thing as "the past" or "the future". Particularly enlightening also is the chapter that describes life as a holistic system that does not make sense when merely studied at particle level. And then there is t ...more
White
Sep 02, 2009 White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Davies makes a convincing attempt to bring God into the nature of physics in this book, rather than the religious approach of bringing the nature of physics into God. (Or is it the other way around?)

This is a great book that describes the details of our universe as something that wraps around us and in us and as us, rather than something we are observing. A hydrogen atom is the same in a droplet of water as it is and always was across lightyears of the universe and 10 billion years ago, 10 billi
Amy
Mar 15, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really great book for someone who is has ever asked questions like why are we here and how might science be able to explain or pose further questions about religion and its "truth". I really like how Paul Davies breaks things down and tries to answers questions about the universe and physics in regard to God and religion. He never attacks but uses logic and clear arguments to give the reader as a well-rounded an answer as possible. I really enjoyed the parts where he had a skeptic and ...more
Fernando del Alamo
"Dios y la nueva física" es el título de este libro en castellano. Se trata de intentar casar los conceptos de la nueva física (incluidas cuántica, relatividad, cosmología, leyes físicas,...) y la lógica con la existencia de Dios. El libro trata de muchas de las discusiones que se tienen entre estudiantes mientras se estudia la carrera de Ciencias Físicas. Para quien las ha tenido, son algo conocido, aunque siempre aporta agunas cosas nuevas. Para quien no las conoce, es todo un descubrimiento.
Kerem Cankocak
Mar 31, 2016 Kerem Cankocak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
20. yüzyılda fizik biliminde iki önemli gelişme oldu: Görelilik ve kuantum bilimi doğdu. Bilim camiası uzayzaman, Büyük Patlama Çoklu Evrenler, akıl ve madde gibi konularda tuhaf ve dudak uçuklatan yepyeni fikirlerin istilasına uğradı. Bu fikirler ancak yeni yeni kamuoyunun gündemine gelmeye başlıyor. Fizikçileri iki kuşak boyunca meşgul edip onlara ilham vermiş olan görüşler, sonunda insan düşüncesinde büyük bir devrim olabileceğini hiç tahmin etmemiş sıradan insanların dikkatini çekiyor. Yeni ...more
Suzie
Jul 10, 2014 Suzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book takes mysticism and gives it a scientific foundation that even the most skeptical can consider and still remain within the confines of pure scientific thought. Paul Davies addresses age old issues of the supernatural and religion and brings them together under one roof; physics. Provocative.
Mitzi
Jan 25, 2011 Mitzi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
This book is a fascinating look at how Physics is influencing our view of the origins of our existence, and our universe. It doesn't give any definitive answers to the "big questions" though - science isn't quite there, yet...
Fidaa Fares
" يبدو كما لو أن الطبيعة تريد أن تقول لنا شيئاً "

. الفصول الأخيرة هي الأجمل والأكثر جاذبية ، وعموماً فإن الترجمة غير الجيدة أفسدت الكتاب
Christian Blunden
Aug 28, 2010 Christian Blunden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pop-science
Read this a long time ago during university. Great mind opening stuff on the edges of scientific understanding and religion.
Claire
Jun 02, 2013 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, intellectually stimulating, full of physics explanations that actually make sense to a beginner.
Achi
Aug 16, 2012 Achi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
read it when I was 14 years old. it changes my whole view on physics. amazing book.
Charles
Jul 15, 2009 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
It certainly gave me some food for thought.
Sujeet
Jan 07, 2014 Sujeet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, science
After many days of deep thinking, finally it boils down to only one question, "Does God exist?" The answer to this question is clearly, still unknown. Whoever claims to know the answer, whether theist or atheist, ask him three or four fundamental questions, that would expose their bumbling limitations. Theists will back their irrefutable on 'It's all about faith' and atheists(scientific bent) would take refuge on "We are working on it".
Religion, Philosophy and Science - any or all of these route
Hasham Ahmad
Sep 23, 2013 Hasham Ahmad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well this was no walk in the park. It approaches fundamental questions of philosophy, existence and creation in the framework of new physics in quite some technical detail. It is perfectly normal for developments in science to impact on beliefs, in fact some might say that it has shaped modern Western thinking for some time and understandably driven a wedge between science and conventional religion. So there have been few attempts to reconcile these two subjects into a holistic point of view whi ...more
Sita Harris
Grabbed it from a new library in Timor Leste at the wake of its Pre-Independence, a few tired books in Xanana's office, then not President, as yet.

It helped me put into relation all the ravages of conflict and war I saw around me. Was it necessary? What was this folly of man?

Did a God really exist? why would He allow this to happen, staring as spectator, punishing, allowing to die...

It answered some questions but opened balck holes as answers
Kimwyl
Dec 08, 2010 Kimwyl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This is one of several books that Davies has written about the impact of science on religious belief and specifically on the existence of God. As he tells us in his Preface, he addresses four questions. Why are the laws of nature what they are? Why does the universe consist of the things it does? How did those things arise? How did the universe achieve its organization?

Davies makes the pretty bold claim that science offers a surer path to God than does religion. However, the God that might be su
Mark Valentine
I liked Davies capacity to synthesize his knowledge into general applications, into broader implications, and into religious understandings.
Ritik Tyagi
this book is good.......but it can't cooperate with the thinking most of the people....i guess this book is a little hard to understand....
Elena
Not my boy Hawking, and not super theological or philosophical, but a pretty decent laying out of relevant advances in physics.
Jef
Oct 24, 2009 Jef rated it really liked it
...religion is founded on revelation and received wisdom. Religious dogma that claims to contain unalterable Truth can hardly be modified to fit changing ideas. The true believer must stand by his faith whatever the evidence against it.
However astonishing and inexplicable a particular occurrence may be, we can never be absolutely sure that at some distant time in the future a natural phenomenon will not be discovered to explain it.
After demolishing the ontological and teleological arguments for
Federico
Jan 17, 2013 Federico rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Paul Davies is always a fascinating writer. This book though has been disappointing, because many difficult topics are presented very briefly and cannot be understood without a previous knowledge of them. For example, I had no problem understanding the paradoxes of time distortion, but I didn't really get many explanations about quantum physics. On the other side, most parts of the book treat philosophical/religious topics, which are even too straightforward.
I overall enjoyed reading this book.
بثينة
افكار الكتاب العلميه جيده لكن الترجمه غير الجيده افسدت الكتاب.
Thomas Simard
Oct 13, 2014 Thomas Simard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clearly written, raising questions, providing food for thought but no easy answers. What else does one want?
Eli Brooke
Jan 28, 2008 Eli Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ghost in the machine? Intelligence in the design of the universe, without the need for a god who is Creator or worse yet a Dictator.

Part of my intro to religious studies class in college, which had me thinking maybe I wanted to pursue comparative religious studies for a while there. Seriously influenced my own long-standing belief in a intelligent life force in the universe that syncs up pretty well with a sort of esoteric Taoist/Buddhist understanding of the nature of reality.
Remo
Dec 31, 2012 Remo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gran libro de divulgación que hace un repaso extensivo de la relatividad general y la mecánica cuántica. Lo leí al empezar la carrera y me reafirmó en mi decisión de ser físico. Paul Davies escribe muy bien, y sabe explicar conceptos como pocos. En este libro en concreto se enreda también con la religión, apuntando a la existencia de un dios no necesariamente religioso pero sí creador, una especia de panteísmo. Las partes puramente científicas, sin embargo, son muy buenas.
Michael
Jul 14, 2007 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful!!

See God as the incredible-shrinking man!!

As science grows and matures, religion and gods play smaller roles in people's lives.

God and the New Physics shows how the "God in the Gaps" argument can be utilised to prove God's possible existence.

The depiction of the recent finding in physics is breathtaking!
Krista
Dec 28, 2011 Krista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The physics parts were interesting. The God parts were less about God and more about disproving organized religion, which in my opinion, are two very different things. But, I learned a lot, it made me think, and I got some new ideas for the story I was researching, so it deserves a four just for that!
Helene Messina
Jul 24, 2014 Helene Messina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to understand
King Little
Nov 13, 2014 King Little rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This book was written for arm chair physicists who would like to understand how some of the various topics in quantum physics and cosmology parallel similar topics covered in the Bible. You do not need a PHD in advanced applied mathematics to enjoy this book.
Underground Knowl...: Is religion incompatible with science? 43 49 Feb 05, 2016 02:48PM
  • Mysticism and the New Physics
  • Does God Play Dice?: The New Mathematics of Chaos
  • The Fourth Dimension: A Guided Tour of the Higher Universes
  • Hiding in the Mirror: The Mysterious Allure of Extra Dimensions, from Plato to String Theory and Beyond
  • The ABC of Relativity
  • Taking the Quantum Leap: The New Physics for Nonscientists
  • The Constants of Nature: The Numbers That Encode the Deepest Secrets of the Universe
  • Quantum Reality
  • Does God Exist? An Answer for Today
  • The Birth of Time: How Astronomers Measure the Age of the Universe
  • Wholeness and the Implicate Order
  • The View from the Center of the Universe: Discovering Our Extraordinary Place in the Cosmos
  • Stephen Hawking's Universe: An Introduction to the Most Remarkable Scientist of Our Time
  • Shadows of the Mind: A Search for the Missing Science of Consciousness
  • Endless Universe: Beyond the Big Bang
  • The World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy & Mathematics from Albert Einstein to Stephen W. Hawking & from Annie Dillard to John Updike
  • Eight Little Piggies: Reflections in Natural History
  • The Evolution of Physics: From Early Concepts to Relativity and Quanta
Paul Charles William Davies AM is a British-born physicist, writer and broadcaster, currently a professor at Arizona State University as well as the Director of BEYOND: Center for Fundamental Concepts in Science. He has held previous academic appointments at the University of Cambridge, University of London, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, University of Adelaide and Macquarie University. His re ...more
More about Paul Davies...