Start by marking “A Place for Turtles” as Want to Read:
A Place for Turtles

A Place for Turtles

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  26 reviews
In simple yet informative language, A Place for Turtles introduces young readers to the ways human action or inaction can affect turtle populations and opens kids minds to a wide range of environmental issues. Describing various examples, the text provides an intriguing look at turtles, at the ecosystems that support their survival, and at the efforts of some people to sav ...more
Published March 1st 2013 by Peachtree Publishers

To ask other readers questions about A Place for Turtles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Place for Turtles

Roberta Gibson
Looking for some new books to celebrate Earth Day in April? Look no further. A Place for Turtles by Melissa Stewart and illustrated by Higgins Bond and others in the A Place for… series are wonderful choices to increase understanding of environmental issues.

Starting with the endpapers, which show range maps for 10 common species, the book is full of information about turtles. In a series of two-page spreads, Melissa Stewart introduces the reader to a problem that turtles face and what is being
Barbara
Filled with acrylic illustrations that almost fool readers into thinking they are in the great outdoors on a nature hike alongside engaging, informative text, this title is an empassioned plea to save a spot in our world for turtles. As the text and illustrations introduce different types of turtles, information about how the intrusion of humans or the introduction of non-native plants and species to the turtles' habitat has caused problems for them. But what adds to the enjoyment of this wonder ...more
Yvonne
This nonfiction book is about the different varieties of turtles that live in the United States and how the actions of humans affect the quality of their lives. The book begins inside the front and back covers showing twelve varieties of turtles along with maps of where each turtle lives. Each page has a short reading on a turtle and then a sidebar that extends the information. The sidebars provide information on how humans can be more aware of their actions to protect the turtle population. For ...more
Brittany Martz
I love this book because the illustrations look so real and are so full of details. The book includes a great map and picture of where each turtle is located around the world. This is a wonderful book about all the different types of turtles and how they live and are affected by humans. Each page includes a little bit of information about each turtle, their environment, and how humans can harm them. Each page also includes a sidebar that has more detailed information about the type of turtle tha ...more
Kelly Tromburg Frisk
The endpapers on this book are maps of the range of different types of turtles. I really like this series by Melissa Stewart, which includes other titles layed out with the same problem-solution format. The book places the text in nice, neat, color-banded borders at the top of each page. Each page is a neatly laid out problem and solution structure. Each side bar inset tells something specific to the turtle on the page. For example, you might have detailed information on the Western Pond Turtle. ...more
Victoria Hylind
This nonfiction book is about all kinds of turtles. The book gives information about lots of turtles all over the world. But what I really like about this book is how it addresses how humans can effect the turtles life. Some things that humans do make it hard for a turtle to live and grow. I like how there are maps in the beginning and end of the book, showing where the different types of turtles can be found. The topic of turtles is common because there are several turtles that can be found whe ...more
Mary Ann
Turtles live in all sorts of different environments, but many have faced challenges brought about by environmental problems. Melissa Stewart introduces young children to specific problems that turtles face, such as habitat loss caused by invasive nonnative plants, but does so in a clear, simple way. Throughout, she emphasizes that we can all help change these problems.
"Some turtles have trouble building nests when new kinds of plants spread into their home habitat. When people find ways to contr
Heidi
Turtles are endangered throughout the world. There are many reasons for this, pollution, alien species of plants or animals, loss of habitat, fishing nets, and hunting. Stewart does a great job of pointing out these dangers and how they are impacting specific species of turtles. For example, the painted turtle is threatened by pet owners bring their dogs to their habitat and don't keep them on leashes. I appreciated how the author also pointed out simple ways to overcome these problems. Suggesti ...more
Jim Erekson
This is the third 2013 title I've read by Melissa Stewart. She seems to be a prolific powerhouse in the informational book field these past few years. Unfortunately, she is also signing on as a disciple of the Common Core...

I haven't seen as much problem-solution thought structure in informational books as I would like, so it was good to read Stewart's simple, straightforward problem-solution sentences and sidebars.

Her solutions were more interesting when they were positive, giving people some
Tasha
Another strong title in the A Place for… series, this book introduces children to turtles and the role that people play in keeping them safe and their habitats viable. Each page shows a different species of turtle in their specific habitat with the main part of the page explaining an overarching theme. The inset on each page talks about scientific facts about the turtles, often including ways that humans have helped turtles survive. The combination makes for an engaging way to present the inform ...more
Vera Godley
When raising my children in small-town-USA with a big backyard, it seemed inevitable that they would find turtles from time to time. When they did, they were allowed (by Mom and Dad) to pick them up carefully (being careful to avoid the reach of the turtles snapping mouth), and observe them for awhile. The turtles were never harmed and were ALWAYS placed back where they were found. This gave the kids the opportunity to see some of God's creation up close and observe their movements.

Of course, th
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
What can we do to ensure there will always be a place for turtles on this planet? It is up to humans to protect the turtles existence.

There are turtles that live in the ocean, in lakes and ponds, then there are those that live in the desert and farmlands. No matter where they live they are always in danger at the hand of humans, whether it is from plastic bags, vegetation planted by humans taking over their nesting grounds or humans making the mistake of taking them out of their habit as pets ex
Tara
This is a wonderful book about all different types of turtles, their habitats, and how humans can help to protect them and the environment in which they live. While there aren't any real photographs, the illustrations contain a lot of details! Back matter includes fun facts about turtles, and a bibliography. The endpages have maps of where each turtle lives.
S Farneth
Melissa Stewart introduces the young reader to many different kinds of turtles, where you would find them and the threats they face. Some of the threats are environmental, some are natural, and many are the result of progress and man. The introduction of new plants, or fish into an ecosystem is not without consequence.

Along with an introduction to the various threats facing the turtles, Stewart has provided inserts about each of the turtles explaining how a particular threat impacts the turtle.
Krista
Beautiful book about turtles. The author describes some of the things impacting the survival of the turtles and things we can do to help. Bits of information about turtles is also shared.
Martha
A painterly informational text about turtles with a conservation focus.
Nicole
A Place for Turtles by Melissa Stewart, illustrated by Higgins Bond
Peachtree, 2013
Nonfiction
32 pages
Recommended for grades 2-4

Lovely nonfiction picture book combining stunning visual work with factual information on human impact on turtles and their habitats. Simple text across the top of each two page spread highlighting a key idea that is focused on more in-depth in the text box along the side of the pages. Historical and current statuses are shared. Part of the A Place for series.
Shelli
A Place For Turtles is a wonderfully informative picture book about turtles and how human actions are negatively and positively effecting their continued existence on Earth; something they have been doing for 220 million years. Higgins Bond’s illustrations are stunning, filled with vibrant colors and beautiful perspective views. This would be a nice addition to any elementary library or classroom for aiding in discussions on conservation and earth science.
Dalene
I would like to thank the author for giving me this book for an honest review. I sat down with my four year old grandson and read this book to him. He really enjoyed learning about the different turtles and looking at the pictures and comparing how they were like what we were reading about. The book is pretty educational about turtles and how we can help them to survive.
Liz
This book has a definite message to young readers--do what you can to protect our turtles. Great information on a variety of turtles and their habitats. Good issues to discuss and think about --we can all do something to protect the environment and animal habitats around us. "Turtle tidbits" and maps of habitats are included. Every reptile study should include this book!
Jemkagily
Outstanding! Can't wait to share this one with first graders. Very clearly introduces a variety of turtle species, presents a specific challenge each one faces, and details the solution people have come up with or could do to help. Excellent conservation messages, but not overwhelming. And lots of NJ native turtles are featured!
Jessica
This is suppose to be a good Common Core title---and while it is very informative---

I found it depressing. I just feel like I've always had "pet turtles" and pet stores are usually "overstocked" with turtles---and I feel like it's almost too late if they are already at the store.

Julie Esanu
Great book about turtles and their shrinking habitats. Would be great to use with a lesson that integrates science and reading strategies, specifically cause and effect.
Sandy Brehl
Combines information about the topic with rich, informative illustrations, sidebars, related science, and back matter.
Edward Sullivan
An attractively illustrated, informative introduction to turtle habitats and environmental issues that affect them.
Carol
Great information and fabulous illustrations!
Ftl
Ftl marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Kento
Kento marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Melissa Stewart is the award-winning author of more than 150 science and nature books for children. She offers a wide range of programs for schools, libraries, nature centers, and conferences. www.melissa-stewart.com"
More about Melissa Stewart...
No Monkeys, No Chocolate Feathers: Not Just for Flying Under the Snow A Place For Bats Snakes!