Change or Die CD: The Three Keys to Change at Work and in Life

Change or Die CD: The Three Keys to Change at Work and in Life

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  65 reviews
"CHANGE OR DIE. What if you were given that choice? We're talking actual life and death now. Your own life and death. What if a well-informed, trusted authority figure said you had to make difficult and enduring changes in the way you think, feel, and act? If you didn't, your time would end soon--a lot sooner than it had to. Could you change when change mattered most?"

This...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 23rd 2007 by HarperAudio (first published December 26th 2006)

Annette
Mar 08, 2011 Annette rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Annette by: Randy
Shelves: self-help
My husband took a LEAN class over the summer and his instructor recommended this book. He really likes it a lot and he says he does use this information at work. I decided to read it(actually I listened to the audio version) because I find the study of change fascinating.

The main point of the book is: most people will try to entice other people to change using the three F's: facts, force and fear. These usually don't work at least not for the long term. He suggests that what does work are the t...more
Kevin
A Blueprint for Change Agents

Author Alan Deutchman writes powerfully about the phenomenon of personal change – both in our professional and “real” lives. He starts with the arresting premise that, even if faced with the stark choice of changing or dying, many people would slack off. Instead, he offers three factors for genuine change and case studies illustrating these lessons.

The case studies include
• A successful homeless/rehab shelter in San Francisco
• Dean Ornish’s diet and wellness work wi...more
Libby Gill
One of my all-time favorite non-fiction books - Alan Deustchman's "Change or Die" - poses a question as compelling as any you're ever likely to hear. If you had to change your beliefs and behaviors or risk premature death, could you do it? You may think so, but the well-documented scientific research is betting against you. Nine to one against you, in fact. But there's hope as Deutschman details in this page-turner. Experts in a variety of fields including healthcare, criminal rehabilitation, an...more
Sylia
The book, while interesting, wasn't very instructive. Deutschman outlines his three key points for change, and spends the entire book bringing in real-life examples of how they have been applied. He doesn't really go into too much detail about the psychology of change, or realistic examples of how one can change the smaller things in one's life. For example, chapter on "Changing a Loved One" just summarized Bill Gates' relationship with his mother, and really failed to give any practical advice...more
Nick
Another 'barticle' -- an article that mushroomed into a book. The idea here is that you can change things you want to, like bad habits, or obesity or whatever, by doing three things: getting human support (relate), learning new habits (repeat) and by learning new ways of thinking (reframe). One is tempted to say that this tripartite solution merely defines change rather than making it possible by revealing deep secrets, but that's carping. If you do these three things, you can change the toughes...more
Paula
This book was compelling, but I'd have liked it better if there had been fewer lengthy examples of groups and companies that had effected change and more concrete examples of individuals who had effected and maintained change in their lives. It's well worth reading though.
Experience Life
At the end of his book, Fortune magazine reporter Alan Deutschman makes an apology for the title, which he admits is a bit of a bait and switch. The fearful connotations are meant to grab the potential reader, after which Deutschman can begin arguing the opposite view: Fear doesn’t motivate people to change (at least in the long term); hope does.

Deutschman offers several compelling case studies that illustrate how most lasting changes have three stages in common: The people making the changes re...more
Munro Richardson
Change or Die has a deceptively simple premise. Virtually anyone who comes up against unexpected obstacles or challenges can change the way they think, act and feel. You probably know someone who knows that they need to make a life critical change in their life--lose weight, exercise, stop drinking. Despite the dire consequences of not doing so, most people don't make the needed changes in their life.

Intuitively, we think that this change first has to be come from the inside. Author Alan Deutsc...more
Hans
I find the topic of Change fascinating. There is a popular belief that change is impossible and that people are always going to be same. This isn't true at all, it may be challenging but change is possible. One of the reasons people can be so resilient to change is that once their brains become hard-wired to think or act a certain way it can take a long time to "re-wire" it to create a new habit. Sometimes it can be from being surrounded an environment that continually encourages that undesired...more
Ted Trembinski
This book confronts a simple human obstacle: the difficulty of change. Unlike many of the other books I've recently read, this book seems to cherry pick it's examples and theories to reinforce and strengthen Deutschman's own thoughts about change.

The book is split into two sections. The first section is Deutschman applying his three "keys to change" to three separate populations; heart patients, criminals at a special rehabilitation home in California, and disgruntled factory workers shortly aft...more
Andy
An incredibly fascinating book that (thankfully) never swayed into self-help territory. A very practical and realistic look at how and why certain individuals, companies and industries are able to undergo significant and sustainable change even with the odds are stacked against them.

Utilizing accessible case studies, Alan Deutschman makes business and psychology terminology whip by at a rapid pace. A former writer for Forbes and Fast Company, Deutschman offers humor and fantastic first-person i...more
Beneth
I guess the drama of the title of this book made me pick it up off the shelf at a bookstore. My life's been all about change for the last year or so. Some changes we choose, some we don't. This book is about the process of change. It's a simple premise- three steps to change- 1. "Relate. You form a new, emotional relationship with a person or community that inspires and sustains hope." 2. "Repeat. The new relationship helps you learn, practice, and master the new habits and skills that you'll ne...more
Michelle
This was fascinating. He uses case studies of heart disease patients, criminal on parole and an auto factory that has to be shut down to establish the high percentage of people who won't change, even though it may take their life, freedom or job. But then he uses examples of groups who have reversed the odds (Dean Ornish, Delancy Street & Toyota) and analyzes what they have in common that allows individuals and organizations to make important changes. There are a lot of other great case stud...more
Jenni
There are several reasons why I liked this book so much. The author is a great storyteller, weaving in stories about people and companies who have made big changes in the face of big challenges. His style of writing makes the stories inspirational without going over the top. The author makes an easy to understand case of why change works or fails, drawing on psychological theory and practice, again without going over the top and making this a psych book. The message he delivers is simple and pow...more
Leslie
As intuitively brilliant and simple as I remember from reading it the first time. Most importantly, it's true. This is no literary treasure, but then that's not the purpose or the point. When it comes to books providing tools to change my life, I'm not in the market for verbal artistry so much as concrete logic and truth. This book could be helpful to the average person looking to improve herself, but it's when you feel that life boils down to the title that it is a piece of practical magic (pri...more
Chris
Change or Die is a shock title. The author even apologizes for the dramatic headline. Why? Because Facts, Fear and Force do not cause long term changes. They Fail. True change comes from The three R's. Relate, Repeat, Reframe. Relate means you should seek now relationships to inspire change. Repeat mans you should learn new behaviors and practice them. Reframe means you should use your new connections to support your new behaviors.
Theresa
Sep 23, 2007 Theresa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone who wants to change or create change
Faced with a life or death situation - could you change? After a very provocative opening, the author outlines three keys for real, lasting change that upon reflection - make a great deal of sense. The book is engaging and full of examples to connect the three keys - I actually needed to stop reading several times to process and really THINK about what the author says.
I've blogged about it more at link Grand-Rounds.blogspot.com.
Anne
The catch phrase is "Could you change when change matters most?" It starts by showing that change is possible even for people that statically almost never change: heart patients, criminals, and workers. It then talks about how you can change by applying the same principals that were able to reform criminals, change the longevity of heart patients, and turn the least effective unionized auto workers in the US to the best.
Nora
This book is quick and easy to read. The key idea is explained clearly using examples from heart patients, criminals and companies. A must read for people who believe that "burning platforms" are the way to motivate others to change. My favourite quote is "People don't resist change, they resist being changed". If you see change as an active learning process, you can tackle it more successfully.
Nicole
Jul 20, 2007 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: negative people
I grew up around negative, sarcastic people. I am German(ie stuborn) and I am a scorpio (which means I find everybody to be irritating). I have to fight my negativity constantly if I am to move forward to have a meaningful life. Books like this help me. I have several books like this that I plan on reading annually. The title is harsh but the message inside is positive.
Not as depressing as it sounds. As the author states in the end, it should really be titled "Change and Thrive", but such a title may not have caught your eye. Change your company, change your health, change a criminal into a contributing member of society. Read the short-short version for free here: http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/9...
Gernot
Deutschman reduces change to three simple rules.
The simplicity of this approach is tempting and makes it doable, i personally think he has left many factors out of the equation of the golden formula of change.

The examples are interesting and good to read. So i recommend this book, and do not expect real insights or tools to help you with your change project,
Deanna
So far, this is a winner. A lot of the programs that I manage involve "behavior change" - it's a jargon-ey word thrown around, but in its very essence, it can be extremely hard to do. I'm always interested in books that can cross the spheres of non-profit work into business and be relevant, indeed useful, to those on both sides of the fence.
Seanie
a three case study of how change has been implemented with success in personal and business realms. deutschmann, the editor of fast times, takes an expeditious turn at describing the ways people have bucked the bigger system and brought change to old calcified and antiquated ways of working on grand & personal scales. highly motivational...
Eddy
A great book, though a better title is "Change and thrive!". I really liked his three key concepts to change: Relate, Repeat, & Reframe. This book would be especially helpful to change agents and others who want to understand the psychology of why some people change and others cannot.

Favorite quote: "Change is a verb."

Good stuff.
Mark
This book explores why it's so hard for human beings to change, especially if the changes are challenging and need to be long lasting. And he does it by exploring people and programs that have worked, from health care to ex-cons to business. Practical and in its own way, inspirational.
Jon
The title grabs your attention doesn't it? If it's so difficult to get hear attack patients to change their lifestyle, how can I get a player to go to his left or taking an unnecessary dribble? I did find some good insights for coaching - relate, repeat, reframe. I like it.
Allison
This was an interesting self help book with alot of good examples of individuals and institutions making positive changes. I don't think Deutschman has a mind-blowing thesis, but his advice to connect with individuals who are agents of change was the best take away.
The three key stories in the book really make the author's point much more effective than if he'd just published the theory. Basically, inspiring hope by showing people how others in similar situations have succeeded is a much better motivator than fear.
  • Are Your Lights On?: How to Figure Out What the Problem Really is
  • Rainy Brain, Sunny Brain: How to Retrain Your Brain to Overcome Pessimism and Achieve a More Positive Outlook
  • The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level
  • Self-Discipline in 10 Days: How to Go from Thinking to Doing
  • The Sedona Method: Your Key to Lasting Happiness, Success, Peace and Emotional Well-being
  • You Can Read Anyone: Never Be Fooled, Lied To, or Taken Advantage of Again
  • The Wisdom of Your Cells: How Your Beliefs Control Your Biology
  • Conceptual Blockbusting: A Guide to Better Ideas
  • Soul Dust: The Magic of Consciousness
  • Get the Life You Want: The Secrets to Quick and Lasting Life Change with Neuro-Linguistic Programming
  • The Practicing Mind: Bringing Discipline and Focus into Your Life
  • In Pursuit of Elegance: Why the Best Ideas Have Something Missing
  • Inside Jokes: Using Humor to Reverse-Engineer the Mind
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • Prisoners of Our Thoughts: Viktor Frankl's Principles for Discovering Meaning in Life and Work
  • Stewardship: Choosing Service Over Self-Interest
  • Seeing What Others Don't: The Remarkable Ways We Gain Insights
Alan Deutschman is currently writing "Walk the Walk," a book about leadership, which will be published in September 2009 by the Portfolio imprint at Penguin.

His blog about leadership is at:
More about Alan Deutschman...
The Second Coming of Steve Jobs A Tale of Two Valleys: Wine, Wealth and the Battle for the Good Life in Napa and Sonoma Walk the Walk: The #1 Rule for Real Leaders I su e i giù di Steve Jobs Veranderen doe je zo