Start by marking “What Once We Feared (The Forest of Hands and Teeth)” as Want to Read:
What Once We Feared (The Forest of Hands and Teeth)

What Once We Feared (The Forest of Hands and Teeth 0.1)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  474 ratings  ·  68 reviews
When the zombie apocalypse hits and the dead begin to rise, Jonah and his friends are on a class field trip downtown. Panicked, they make a split-second decision to seek shelter in the Overlook, an apartment complex built like a fortress on the edge of town. But as they begin to face the realities of what it will take to survive, they realize that while making the decision ...more
Published May 14th 2013 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about What Once We Feared, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Once We Feared

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothInsurgent by Veronica Roth
Dystopian Faves
23rd out of 64 books — 21 voters
Hollowland by Amanda HockingTagged by Joseph M. ChironHans & Greta by Nicki ElsonHollowmen by Amanda HockingEnclave by Ann Aguirre
Awesome Zombie Books For Girls/Women
115th out of 273 books — 407 voters

More lists with this book...

Badseedgirl
At 25 pages this was less of a short story and more of an "amuse bouche", or more appropriate for a book and "amuse yeux" (I hope that is eyes, the internet is so unpredictable, for all I no I just typed "happy penis" in French!). Then again since we are dealing with zombies, maybe the first was right to begin with! Anyway, I digress. There is a wonderful full length novel tucked into this little gem. Written in the voice of a teenager speaking to the reader after his death, we are able to see h ...more
Katy
Apr 27, 2013 Katy marked it as to-read
Yes, there's more! Thanks for the heads up, Scott!
Althea Ann
A dark YA piece. A group of teenagers are on a school trip to 'Discovery Place' when the zombie apocalypse hits. They hole up in an apartment building's penthouse, and the real discoveries they make are about who they truly are, and what makes a survivor. Quite bleak.
Rhiannon Frater
Let's be clear...this is a SHORT STORY. It's not a novella. Which really disappointed me. I was hoping for something lengthier, so I was a bit disappointed in that regard.

As a basic zombie story, it works. It could fit into any zombie anthology seamlessly. There is really nothing in the short story to connect it to the actual trilogy like there was in the previous novella, Hare Moon.

Was it worth a read? Definitely. Did it add anything to the actual trilogy? No.

A solid zombie short story, but no
☣Lynn☣
Wish this was longer. :( I hated how quickly the end came.
Sandra "Jeanz"
MY REVIEW
As I've read all the other books in this great series I decided to buy this novella. I expected to find out about the characters in the series before Bks 0.5 to 3. The cover fits the novella well but I'm not sure I'd say it totally fits the whole series of books.
I admit I believed that this novella would be about the actual people in the rest of the series, but it wasn't. This book had a main character of a boy. Well a group of school children, I'd say teenagers. The group are visiting
Kate
This short story is set in the world of The Forest of Hands and Teeth and is told from the point of view of Jonah, one of a group of teenagers, as the zombie apocalypse begins, and they are trapped inside of an apartment building.

It's been a while since I read the original trilogy. Hare Moon is another short story that is a prequel, except that Hare Moon involves characters seen later in the trilogy. This short story does not (I thought I remembered a Jonah, but it's been too long...). The story
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Laura W
This was a decent novella. Tons of foreshadowing. I just wish it would have been longer and possibly even developed into a book. It was just missing so much.
Kristen

A short story, not a novella, set in the world of The Forest of Hands and Teeth, but set closer to the beginning of the zombie event. It felt like the start of a novella--and a depressing one at that--but then it all wrapped up just as I thought the introductions were over and we were heading into the bulk of the story.

It was well-written, but depressing, and I can't say that I thought it added much to the world established by the other stories.

I am glad I checked it out from the library, beca
Erin
This short story goes back to when the zombie apocalypse first started. That said, it isn't related to the Forest of Hands and Teeth series in any other way other than zombies, but I enjoyed reading it quite a bit. I wish it had been a novella so we could have gotten a bit more detail and gotten to know the characters better, but I enjoy Ryan's writing and I was happy to see my library had a copy of this. :) I still have a few more short stories of hers that I'm interested in reading, so hoping ...more
Jenny  (hades2) (Chocolate Chunky Munkie)
You can see the full review at Chocolate Chunky Munkie

Imagine being given a big bar of chocolate, taking one bite and then having someone snatch it away from you. This is how I felt. I absolutely adore the Forest of Hands and Teeth series, my friends get so sick of hearing me rave about it. So when I came across this short story, I didn't think twice about buying it. But back to the chocolate, even though the bar got snatched away the tiny square tasted lovely. Just having a taste of this serie
Mehsi
I was really psyched to see a new part in this series. After all the ending of the third book, was well so-so. (still hoping for a new book or at least letting us know how it all will end for real.)

Anyway, this book is set many many years before the events of Forest of Hands and Teeth, to be exact, it all happened when the outbreak started (well ok, a few weeks after it).

It was an awesome short novella, even though it was short, I must say it felt quite complete. Though of course I still very mu
Liz
"That's the thing about bad decisions. They can feel so right in the moment because they give you something to do other than stand around uselessly. But maybe all you're doing is delaying the inevitable and giving yourself a nice long time to play out how stupid you were."

"The thing about decisions is that sometimes you don't make them for the right reasons. Sometimes you have an idea of yourself that isn't real. It's an aspiration; it's the picture you hold in your mind so that you don't weep a
Daisy
I've been hearing mixed reviews about Carrie Ryan's writing, and although it may be steering a little too close to horror for my normal tastes, I actually really enjoyed this novella, and look forward to reading her full novels.

What Once We Feared is set at the beginning of a zombie apocalypse, and tells of Jonah and his friends in the first hour or so after the undead started ruling the streets. After running desperately from their school trip, the five teenagers find themselves stuck in an apa
I honestly am not sure what the exact point of this novella was because it didn't offer anything new or original to the Forest of Hands and Teeth series. It's basically the story of a few random people and how they survive the first onslaught of zombies.

There is nothing original about the storyline at all. It's your atypical zombie apocalypse scenario and the character's are so stereotypical and cliche it's embarrassing. The weak one, the funny one, the strong but on the inside not strong one,
Tearese
This short story is a prequel to Carrie Ryan's Forest of Hands and Teeth books. As I mentioned when I read the other series, I don't really like zombies in popular culture- tv, movies, video games, etc. However, I do really like these books! They're freaking awesome, despite the occasional gruesome element.
This book takes place hundreds of years before her other books, right when the outbreak happens. The story technically only spans a day or so, but Ryan does an excellent job telling the reader
Becky
Jul 16, 2013 Becky rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: teen
In "What Once We Feared" a group of classmates finds themselves in the midst of a zombie attack while on a school field trip. The first resurrected have already popped up elsewhere but everyone has been told it's under control. When bodies start falling from the sky, it quickly becomes clear that control has flown out the window. Jonah and his friends quickly seek refuge in a nearby apartment building but soon learn that their escape isn't necessarily the salvation they'd thought it was.

I reall
Elyse
Though it had an inevitable end, I liked this novella. Almost more than the series! In so few pages, it told a story. It had a beginning, middle, and end in just 25 pages. And the final paragraph was very thought-provoking. Some parts were very grotesque and horrifying though!
Navem
Very quick read. Like a 10 min reàd. I wish she would have made this a novella or took all of these short survivor stories and compiled them into another book. She's such a good author.
Way too short! I couldn't put it down and when I reached the end I was wishing for more. Wish the author would extend it into a novella or full novel.
Trisha
That’s the thing about bad decisions. They can feel so right in the moment because they give you something to do other than stand around uselessly. But maybe all you’re doing is delaying the inevitable and giving yourself a nice long time to play out how stupid you were.

this is one of the few novellas or .5 books that I don't really feel add to a series.
the first book is in the forest
the second one is in a very ravaged "old" world

this one...is in a city? with kids? on a field trip? I don't know,
I just wish it had been a full-fledged book.
Kimberly
This is a very short story. But you get to meet a group of kids on a field trip the day all Hell literally breaks loose. It is by Carrie Ryan, our Forrest of Hands and Teeth author. Set in her Zombie Apocalypse world, she shows a group of kids dwindled and tried to survive the first wave of zombies. Very interesting. But I wish she would have continued it just a bit more. You kind of know how things happened with the rest of the group but one person that tells the story, you wonder what of him?. ...more
Reading Wolf
This just didn't turn out as well as I hoped. It did not have the intensity of Ryan's novels. Admittedly, it could have been because it was so short. I think it was the unrelatability of the characters. I did not feel for any of them. And I did not feel the story truly showed the terror they felt in a whole gone chaotic.
Brandi Dalton
Good book short but good
Lucas Darathy
It was a nice short story. Not much to say about 25 pages, but it was interesting.
Sedia Hebert
It is a really short story. I was able to read it on my lunch break. I loved how it combined the past and present. Loved how he would state questions that he thought at the time then tell you what they ended up doing. ex. (something along the lines of) How would we get into the other apartments? The doors were reinforced with steal. (we ended up tunneling through the walls)I loved that.
Jennifer Lee
I went in knowing it was a short story, but may was it ever a short story. I think it was only one chapter if Im not mistaken. I could be wrong, and maybe its not as short as it felt. I really enjoyed it though, i wanted more, so that's always a good sign. I was a tad disappointed that it didn't tie into Forest of Hands and Teeth, but overall it was really good!
Albert Yates
what makes The Forest of Hands and Teeth such a unique and wonderful series makes this short story bland and boring. the original series had such a unique spin on the zombie genre telling the story from an isolated group of people, this short story deviates from that formula and tells another tale of a group of people when the outbreak hits the population.
  • First Night Memories (Benny Imura, #0.5)
  • State of Decay: Part One
  • End Dayz (The Hitchhiker Strain, #0.5)
  • This Plague of Days, Season 1
  • Fallen Grace (Grace, #4)
  • Omega Days (Omega Days, #1)
  • Primal Shift: Part 1 (A Post-Apocalyptic Thriller)
  • Resurrection (Apocalypse Chronicles, #2)
  • In the End (Quarantined, #2)
  • Running Wild (Zombie Games, #2)
  • The Raid (The Eden Trilogy, #0.6)
  • Abandon
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • Dust (Dust, #1)
  • Annie and Fia (Mind Games, #0.5)
  • The Severed Tower (Conquered Earth, #2)
  • Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box
  • Rebirth (Aftertime, #2)
Carrie Ryan is the New York Times bestselling author of the critically acclaimed Forest of Hands and Teeth series and Infinity Ring: Divide and Conquer. Currently she’s working on a four book middle grade fantasy adventure series co-written with her husband, John Parke Davis, the first book of which, The Map to Everywhere, will be out November 4, 2014. Her next YA is a romantic thriller titled Dau ...more
More about Carrie Ryan...

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (3 books)
  • The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1)
  • The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2)
  • The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3)
The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2) The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3) Foretold: 14 Tales of Prophecy and Prediction Divide and Conquer (Infinity Ring #2)