Start by marking “Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine

Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine (Nate the Great #15)

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  251 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Beginning readers are introduced to the detective mystery genre in these chapter books. Perfect for the Common Core, kids can problem-solve with Nate, using logical thinking to solve mysteries!

Nate the Great hates mushy stuff. He spies a big red paper heart taped to Sludge’s doghouse. Who left Nate’s dog a secret valentine? Nate will solve the case, and then there will be
Published January 30th 2013 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine

Melanie Hansen
Let me just say that my 7 yr. old son has read A LOT of Nate The Great books. We had a book party for this book just before Valentines day. We had a friend that is named Nate dress up as Nate The Great and greet the kids as they came, give them their detective hats and magnifying glass, then take them on a "treasure hunt" that included a pancake breakfast break then ended with them finding Sludge (the treasure which was a dog stuffed animal for each child--really cheap ones). They did some of th ...more
Kathryn
Feb 11, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: valentines-day
Cute and fun! The little mystery adds an interesting element to the usual "kids making Valentine's" theme and Nate is so funny and determined and "great." I think this one would especially appeal to boys.
Lisa Cohn
Jun 19, 2014 Lisa Cohn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael, age 5, loves all the Nate the Great books. He likes this one because of all the silliness related to Valentine's Day--and all the confusion related to who gave who a valentine. It's one of the harder-to-solve Nate the Great mysteries, he says. Watch his YouTube book review here:
Dolly
Feb 15, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Now that we've read this book, we've completed the entire Nate the Great series by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat and Marc Simont. We started reading these stories a few years ago and our girls liked them a lot, especially our youngest. So it was a little bittersweet to conclude the series, but I thought that it would be nice to read this last one on Valentine's Day.

The story was interesting and fairly typical for the series. We enjoyed reading this story together and we are a little sad to say goodby
Seth
Feb 09, 2014 Seth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: by-myself
Sludge got a valentine that said I love you sludge more then fudge. Nate the great had to find out who it was from . It was from Harry.
Lacey
Mar 04, 2016 Lacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too wordy for a two year old but she picked it out herself so I read the short version, skipping a lot. It's a cute story though!
yusi
Aug 03, 2015 yusi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Someone gave Sludge a valentine card
but Nate didn't know who gave it.
He went out to know who gave it.
And Annie lost her Valentine card for his brother.
Nate had solve two cases this time.
Charlotte
May 21, 2016 Charlotte rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate it because I don't like Nate the Great.
Rachel
Mar 02, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book !
Michelle. D.
Sep 04, 2010 Michelle. D. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: was-awful
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r ...more
Kristine Hansen
Fabulous story with a really hilarious ending. Loved it!

Also, the added bonus of the extra Valentine's day things make me wish I had a copy of the book so I could keep the recipes and craft ideas. This book is perfect to enjoy with your child for Valentine's Day. Highly recommended!
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 9286 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.0 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Erin
Read this to First Graders for Valentine's Day. Longer-than-a-picture-book, shorter-than-a-chapter-book style may have been a bit much, but many of them took out other Nate the Great books afterwards. I like Nate's voice and that he eats pancakes when he's thinking.
Shelley
Mar 25, 2008 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nate the Great cannot face what is hanging on his door. Maybe it will fall off, rot, die. I gave this book to my valentine, my son, who was born on that very day eight years ago.
Kelli
Feb 19, 2013 Kelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great one! Love Nate's voice and so do my kids. at 2 and 4 it's great that something like this keeps them interested.
Earline
When Nate the Great's dog Sludge receives a mysterious valentine, Nate the Great is on the case.
Eliza Fox
Oct 23, 2012 Eliza Fox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There was two mysteries that were actually one. I liked both mysteries. They were so fun.
Rachel Richardson
Jan 29, 2012 Rachel Richardson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Nate the Great as a child, and they still hold up surprisingly well.
Erin Bartos
Mar 16, 2008 Erin Bartos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of my very favorite valentine's books.
LeLu
Deb
Deb rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Prince Rahul
Prince Rahul rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016
Erica
Erica added it
Jun 21, 2016
Đỗ Thanh
Đỗ Thanh marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Aarti Rawat
Aarti Rawat rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Clarita
Clarita rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Mateo Graif
Mateo Graif marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
  • Horrible Harry Takes the Cake
  • Annie and Snowball and the Dress-up Birthday
  • Roses Are Pink, Your Feet Really Stink
  • Get Ready for Second Grade, Amber Brown
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Dinosaur Game (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • The Day It Rained Hearts
  • Clifford's First Valentine's Day
  • A Thief at the National Zoo (Capital Mysteries #9)
  • Franklin's Valentines
  • The Ballad of Valentine (Picture Puffins)
  • The Case of the Missing Jelly Donut
  • Froggy's Best Christmas
  • The First Thanksgiving
  • Down Comes the Rain
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...

Nate the Great (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Nate the Great
  • Nate the Great Goes Undercover
  • Nate The Great And The Lost List (Nate The Great)
  • Nate the Great and the Phony Clue