Start by marking “Nate the Great and the Monster Mess” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great and the Monster Mess

Nate the Great and the Monster Mess (Nate the Great #22)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  200 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Nate the Great loves his mother’s Monster Cookies. Her Strawberry Draculas, her Chocolate Frankensteins, and especially her Cinnamon Werewolves. But now her Monster Cookie recipes are missing! Nate, the great detective, has never solved a case for his mother before. Can he do it? With his dog, Sludge, Nate gets to work. They look, sniff, climb up, bend down, push, and pull...more
Published January 30th 2013 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Nate the Great and the Monster Mess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nate the Great and the Monster Mess

midnightfaerie
A book my 6 yr old loved, a little old for my preschoolers. A solid reading level 3 book, this reader has a good amount of advanced vocabulary words, but not so long that it discourages a new reader. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. It took about 15 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
April Smith
In this book the little boy goes on the hunt to find the recipe for his favorite cookies. This is a good book to help children start to get comfortable with chapter books.
Seth
The case was a recipe for monster cookies. Nate's Mom lost it. Rosmand bough a tuna fish yesterday. She wrapped it with the recipe.
Michelle. D.
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r...more
Christy
It is Halloween night and all the kids are dressed in scary and funny costumes.Their Trick or Treat bags are getting heavier.

Nate's good friend Rosamond needs his help.Her cat, Little Hex, is missing.Little Hex hates Halloween, so maybe he's hiding.Or is he lost?Nate and his trusty dog Sludge take the case and hunt in the night for Little Hex.They pass robots, pirates, and
Dolly
Jul 20, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A fun mystery to read aloud to children. Nate the Great is an interesting series with odd characters and very blunt, simple narrative. The mysteries are often simple to figure out and the situations are fairly commmon - like Nate's Mom losing a recipe in this story. Our girls really like this series, but the verdicts still out for me.
Heather
I love everything about Nate the great books except for the mysteries. The characters are funny, and I can always count on lots of pancakes!
Melissa Sommer
This story is about Nate's mom's cookie recipes. Nate's mom Monster Cookie recipe disappears and Nate has to find it with help from his dog, Sludge. I think this is a great book for beginning readers because the chapters are short. I also think the mystery in the book will want young readers to continue reading.
Literacy Group
Nate the Great's mom lost the recipe for her Monster Cookies! Nate is on the case! After making a batch of pancakes, doing some thinking, and searching every nook and cranny of the house and neighborhood Nate finds the recipe on the back of a piece of paper in the end!

Grade 1-4
Heather
Shelley
A favorite. Nate's mother reminds me of myself. Although, I don't think I'd let my 10 year old wander the neighborhood while leaving me a vague note. I do think however my recipes are in the same condition.
Taryn
This book is a really good book it is actully awesome
My favorite characters are Sludge and Annie
i read alot of the other books they were awesome, my 2nd favorite character is Nate's mom
Kim Miller
Fun book about solving a mystery. Nate is a silly and good hearted boy looking to help out his mother. He solves the mystery, but makes a big mess along the way.
Wesley
I kind of liked it. I like that it's a detective book. I didn't think the subject was very interesting. I didn't like that they slipped on the way to the door.
Thomas Yingling
A great problem solving book. It shows the steps of problem solving and sometimes you have to make mistakes before you can figure it out.
Jaca Long
the book was awesome because nate the great had to help his mother find a recipe for cookies.hmmm!
Tanya
We struggled to engage with this Nate the Great. We have loved some others we read.
Barbara
This one was palatable...lol Ending was cute.
Kenisha Banayos
its amazing but is thier a lesson or moral
Myles
I don't like Nate the Great.
Jake
this book is a good book
Theresa
good early mystery
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Alyse Barker
Alyse Barker marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Babe
Babe marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Jennifer Paige
Jennifer Paige marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
  • Stanley in Space (Flat Stanley, #3)
  • Sleepy Hollow Sleepover (A to Z Mysteries: Super Edition, #4)
  • Mr. Sunny Is Funny! (My Weird School Daze #2)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Bedtime Thumps (Henry and Mudge, #9)
  • Flap Your Wings
  • The Class Trip from the Black Lagoon
  • Fancy Nancy and the Mean Girl
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...
Nate the Great Nate the Great Goes Undercover Nate the Great and the Big Sniff Nate the Great and the Missing Key Nate the Great and the Sticky Case