Start by marking “Southern Italian Desserts: The Great Undiscovered Recipes of Sicily, Campania, Puglia, and Beyond” as Want to Read:

4.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
An authentic guide to the festive, mouthwatering sweets of Southern Italy, including regional specialties that are virtually unknown in this country as well as variations on more popular desserts such as cannoli, biscotti, and gelato.
As a follow-up to her acclaimedMy Calabria, Rosetta Costantino collects 75 favorite desserts from her Southern Italian homeland, including th
Published October 8th 2013 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Southern Italian Desserts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Italian Desserts

Jenny (Reading Envy)
I received a review copy of this cookbook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This cookbook is very specific, focusing solely on the desserts of Southern Italy. No breads, no main dishes, no cheeses, just desserts. As a baker, I thought this was a wonderful concept for a cookbook. What usually happens is that I will go looking for Italian desserts and I'll come across gelato, ricotta cheesecake, and those fried honey balls that are from several Meditteranean cultures. The specificity
Michelle
Apr 13, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Southern Italian Desserts: Rediscovering the Sweet Traditions of Calabria, Campania, Basilicata, Puglia, and Sicily by Rosetta Costantino with Jennie Schacht is, quite simply, a delicious book that belongs on the shelf of any Italophile and/or foodie.

Rosetta is a native of Calabria, and you can’t do better than learning how to make southern Italian desserts from the recipes she has compiled, many of which are downright impossible to find recorded, especially in English.

Recipes include traditiona
Mara
Oct 03, 2013 Mara rated it it was amazing
Bakers aficionados: please stand up. Here's the book you have been waiting for: a delicious discovery that will make you shine among your friends.

I can easily explain the reasons why. This cookbook showcases recipes that are difficult to find. And I know damn well, as I've been looking for them for a long time, as they are mine own :)

When one thinks about an Italian restaurant or an Italian recipe one likes, many forget an important point: an "Italian" cookbook doesn't really exist. What there i
DelAnne Frazee
Oct 23, 2013 DelAnne Frazee rated it it was amazing
Title: Southern Italian Desserts: Rediscovering the Sweet Traditions of Calabria, Campania, Basilicata, Puglia, and Sicily
Author: Rosetta Costantino, Jennie Schacht
E-Book ASIN: B00CCPIL70
Pages: 224
Genre: Food & Wine
Tags: Cooking, Regional

More than just a cookbook, Southern Italian Desserts takes you through a brief history of the deserts from the Italian region. The different equipment you will need are
Laura Harrison
Aug 30, 2014 Laura Harrison rated it it was amazing
It isn't often you find a regional Italian cookbook. Even rarer to find one this good. I highly recommend it.
Naomi
Oct 09, 2013 Naomi rated it really liked it
Read my full review: http://bit.ly/1bbkMB1 or http://bit.ly/GGvKEO

My opinion: Laden with beautiful pictures and tasty recipes, this was a beautiful cookbook. Although the recipes come from the south of Italy, I didn't see any ingredients that would be difficult to find in the US. One criticism that I would say, Although the pictures were gorgeous and step by step instructions were given, I would have liked to have seen pictures of the preparation since the recipes were definitely more advanced.
Teresa
Aug 07, 2013 Teresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Full of the delicious Italian pastries I've oogled in bakeries with multiple steps of preparation. Some of the recipes are really unexpected such as the eggplant layered dessert with sweetened ricotta filling and chocolate sauce but there are the classics like cannoli as well. The text is informative and the narrow geographical scope makes it a strong book. The photographs of food are interspersed with some architectural centerfolds so there's a sense of the local in this southern italian book.
Michael Janakis
Michael Janakis marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Eileen
Eileen rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Martin digrande
Martin digrande rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
Meghan O'Neil
Meghan O'Neil marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Marianne Perry
Marianne Perry rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2016
Mavovo
Mavovo marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Brittany Chambers
Brittany Chambers marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
M Midnight
M Midnight rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Dudders
Dudders marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Treehouse
Treehouse marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Karalalala
Karalalala rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Ilona
Ilona rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Stephanie McGarrah
Stephanie McGarrah marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Bruna Costantino dupre
Bruna Costantino dupre rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2015
Ashley
Ashley is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2015
Angela Wang
Angela Wang marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Michelle Steel
Michelle Steel rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2015
Caterina
Caterina rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Born and raised in Verbicaro, Calabria, Rosetta Costantino teaches cooking classes and lives in Oakland, California.
More about Rosetta Costantino...