Start by marking “Southern Italian Desserts: The Great Undiscovered Recipes of Sicily, Campania, Puglia, and Beyond” as Want to Read:

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  7 reviews
An authentic guide to the festive, mouthwatering sweets of Southern Italy, including regional specialties that are virtually unknown in this country as well as variations on more popular desserts such as cannoli, biscotti, and gelato.
As a follow-up to her acclaimedMy Calabria, Rosetta Costantino collects 75 favorite desserts from her Southern Italian homeland, including th
Published October 8th 2013 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Southern Italian Desserts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Italian Desserts

Jenny (Reading Envy)
I received a review copy of this cookbook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This cookbook is very specific, focusing solely on the desserts of Southern Italy. No breads, no main dishes, no cheeses, just desserts. As a baker, I thought this was a wonderful concept for a cookbook. What usually happens is that I will go looking for Italian desserts and I'll come across gelato, ricotta cheesecake, and those fried honey balls that are from several Meditteranean cultures. The specificity
Michelle
Southern Italian Desserts: Rediscovering the Sweet Traditions of Calabria, Campania, Basilicata, Puglia, and Sicily by Rosetta Costantino with Jennie Schacht is, quite simply, a delicious book that belongs on the shelf of any Italophile and/or foodie.

Rosetta is a native of Calabria, and you can’t do better than learning how to make southern Italian desserts from the recipes she has compiled, many of which are downright impossible to find recorded, especially in English.

Recipes include traditiona
Mara
Bakers aficionados: please stand up. Here's the book you have been waiting for: a delicious discovery that will make you shine among your friends.

I can easily explain the reasons why. This cookbook showcases recipes that are difficult to find. And I know damn well, as I've been looking for them for a long time, as they are mine own :)

When one thinks about an Italian restaurant or an Italian recipe one likes, many forget an important point: an "Italian" cookbook doesn't really exist. What there i
DelAnne Frazee
Title: Southern Italian Desserts: Rediscovering the Sweet Traditions of Calabria, Campania, Basilicata, Puglia, and Sicily
Author: Rosetta Costantino, Jennie Schacht
E-Book ASIN: B00CCPIL70
Pages: 224
Genre: Food & Wine
Tags: Cooking, Regional

More than just a cookbook, Southern Italian Desserts takes you through a brief history of the deserts from the Italian region. The different equipment you will need are
Laura Harrison
It isn't often you find a regional Italian cookbook. Even rarer to find one this good. I highly recommend it.
Naomi
Read my full review: http://bit.ly/1bbkMB1 or http://bit.ly/GGvKEO

My opinion: Laden with beautiful pictures and tasty recipes, this was a beautiful cookbook. Although the recipes come from the south of Italy, I didn't see any ingredients that would be difficult to find in the US. One criticism that I would say, Although the pictures were gorgeous and step by step instructions were given, I would have liked to have seen pictures of the preparation since the recipes were definitely more advanced.
Teresa
Full of the delicious Italian pastries I've oogled in bakeries with multiple steps of preparation. Some of the recipes are really unexpected such as the eggplant layered dessert with sweetened ricotta filling and chocolate sauce but there are the classics like cannoli as well. The text is informative and the narrow geographical scope makes it a strong book. The photographs of food are interspersed with some architectural centerfolds so there's a sense of the local in this southern italian book.
Brooke
Brooke added it
Jan 18, 2015
Lindsay Fouts
Lindsay Fouts marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Pia Zaia
Pia Zaia marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Annemarie
Annemarie marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
K.
K. marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Elle
Elle added it
Jan 06, 2015
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Iman
Iman marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Charles Hoang
Charles Hoang marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Carina28
Carina28 marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
D E Raimondi
D E Raimondi is currently reading it
Sep 12, 2014
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Susan
Susan added it
Sep 02, 2014
frogfairie
frogfairie marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Snježana
Snježana marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Born and raised in Verbicaro, Calabria, Rosetta Costantino teaches cooking classes and lives in Oakland, California.
More about Rosetta Costantino...
My Calabria: Rustic Family Cooking from Italy's Undiscovered South Southern Italian Desserts: Rediscovering the Sweet Traditions of Calabria, Campania, Basilicata, Puglia, and Sicily