Start by marking “Treasury of Egyptian Mythology: Classic Stories of Gods, Goddesses, Monsters & Mortals” as Want to Read:

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The new National Geographic Treasury of Egyptian Mythology is a stunning tableau of Egyptian myths, including those of pharaohs, queens, the boisterous Sun God Ra, and legendary creatures like the Sphinx. The lyrical storytelling of award-winning author Donna Jo Napoli dramatizes the timeless tales of ancient Egypt in the year when Angelina Jolie will make Cleopatra a mult ...more
Published October 22nd 2013 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Treasury of Egyptian Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treasury of Egyptian Mythology

paula
Ra spits on the ground and a goddess springs forth. A devoted wife holds a flower so that her husband may inhale the scent and a baby appears among the petals. A woman mourns and fertile farmland turns to dust. Prolific storyteller Donna Jo Napoli brings the ancient Egyptian gods to life for the modern reader - their jealousies, passions and grief are the driving forces in tales that explain creation, the seasons, the afterlife, and natural phenomena. Napoli's tone is swaying and intimate, earth ...more
Sara
This is such a fascinating book. The illustration is breathtaking and the storyline is interesting. This is very well done.
Sharon
Narrated by Christina Moore
Recorded Books, 2014

Wow! Never knew the Egyptians had such devious, sexually involved pantheon. Napoli has laid out their stories with great flair, and care, including information to help the reader make the necessary connections.

Moore narrates in her usual sturdy, well-paced, unvoiced style, which works well for this audiobook. The set-up of the informational asides doesn't work as well as it does in print, but it really doesn't lessen the overall admirable effect of
Stuart
Treasury of Egyptian Mythology is the second volume in National Geographic Kids mythology series, with the first being the Treasury of Greek Mythology. Mixing mythology with culture and history, you and your children will learn about gods and goddesses; pharaohs and queens; and actual history of the Egyptian dynasties. As someone who is only versed in Greek and Roman mythology, it was fascinating to learn the Egyptian origin story. Instead of Titans giving birth to the chief deity, like in Greek ...more
Mrs. Carey
This book is probably meant for older students, even though it is for Kids. The book provides information regarding the gods and goddesses of Ancient Egypt. It connects well to the Kane Chronicles series and provides extended information about some of the characters from this series. The author attempts to be gentle in regards to describing the illicit behavior of the gods; however, it is difficult to remain PG.

Overall, I was not fond of the illustrations, but I think they were meant to mimics A
Stuart
The BEST book of Egyptian Mythology for children I have yet to come across, Napoli's prose is clear and brisk, efficient and poetic at the same time, and she skillfully weaves together the various threads of Egyptian mythology into something both mystical and coherent, creating a more human and nuanced look at these distant and magical figures than we usually get. And the illustrations are knock-out fantastic, and worth the price of the book alone.
Lindy
Very well done. The art is beautiful and it's a good clarification of some of the main Egyptian beliefs, as much of a challenge as understanding them must have been. It's interesting how various gods rule over seemingly random and contradictory things, or maybe I was just confused by the various forms of Ra and the number of goddesses responsible for safe childbirth and fertility.
The detailed and tragic love story of Usir and Aset is my favorite backstory out of these. Along with the way Nebet H
Kate
If you are bored with Fairy tales, Greek mythology, why not try someEgyptian mythology?This book presents an illustrated tableau of Egyptian myths, combines narrative accounts of the stories of the Sun God Ra, the Sphinx, and numerous pharaohs and queens along with historical, cultural, and geographic facts. This is a treasure that will be enjoyed by kids of all ages. ...more
Sagan
We read a few of the myths while surveying this book from the library. I decided to buy it. The artwork is reminiscent of the Ancient style but dynamic enough to appeal to children, and the author uses the Egyptian names for the gods and goddesses instead of the Greek, which makes it easier to relate to the pronunciation of unilaterals (if you're a family who cares about such details.)
Miriam
Did I like this book? Yes. Would I recommend this book? Yes. I did have one problem with it, however...

The illustrations are beautiful. I've enjoyed other books she's illustrated as well. But she chose to completely ignore the colors the Egyptians used to portray themselves. With only a couple of exceptions, the characters are all depicted using a northern European palette. Who is the primary exception? Set. This was disappointing, especially after expecting something different after seeing the
Caity
This is a great resource for tweens it is very informative and interesting. The book has a narrative style so it can be read strait through or readers can look up a specific god or goddess and read just their part in the story. Overall it is very well though out and presents a great overview of Egyptian mythology.
Lara
I really enjoyed reading this book on Egyptian mythology for kids. There is a lot of good information in this book, and I think many adults would find it interesting too. I especially liked the exceptional illustrations.
Austin Dutter
I think that this book was a wonderful book about Egyptian gods and goddesses. It was filled with myths about Egyptian gods like Ra, Seth, Usir and many other interesting gods.
Sara
Recommended. Upper elementary / middle grades.

Readalikes:
Anubis Speaks! / Shecter
A Treasury of Greek Mythology / Napoli
The Kane Chronicles / Riordan
stillme
GORGEOUS - both the language and the illustrations. The writing may be a little beyond my 6 year old, but I am enjoying reading it aloud to her.
ALA ALSC Notable 2014
Anne
I was excited when Donna Jo Napoli, the author of Treasury of Greek Mythology, came out with a second book Treasury of Egyptian Mythology. These books are excellent for kids that love mythology to the core. They are very accessible for readers. The stories are broken down by god and have beautiful pictures. Have you felt like you have run out of books for your Percy Jackson and the Olympians and/ or Heroes in Training fans? These would be a new options for those readers.
Nav
So far I believe the author has well constructed the timing of ever god and goddess for it to make sense for the reader. And the illustrations are beautiful and help with visualizing.
Trea Robinson
Read this to my 8-yr-old son. He loved it! I think most 8-yr-olds would lose interest fast though, my son loves this kind of stuff.
Dayna Smith
A fantastic introduction to Egyptian mythology. The illustrations are beautiful! A wonderful for book for "kids" of all ages.
Pamela
Great collection of these stories with amazing illustrations. For any kid who loves mythology or wants to learn more.
Matt
Nov 26, 2014 Matt rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Nice intro to Egyptian Mythology for the kids - excellent art.
Shana
Children Non-fiction 299.31 NAPOLI ...more
John
The Greeks get all the credit/blame for telenovela-levels of sex and violence, but the Egyptians really take it all to a surreal other level. Napoli makes great efforts to untangle a lot of mythology, though the cast of animal-headed characters expands exponentially with each tale. Christina Balit is the real attraction, here, though, making some amazing technicolor work of beautiful line and balance to illustrate truly unbalanced deities running amok.
Joseph
One of the better tellings of Egyptian mythology I've read. This book very clearly explains the family connections among the Egyptian deities as well as the stories of their origins and their godly responsibilities. I also like how they include the commonly, better-known Greek names of the Egyptian gods and goddesses. The illustrations are also quite beautiful.
Brenda Kahn
Excellent addition to the mythology collection. Both the art and the text are sumptuous.
PWRL
Nov 29, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Happy Hollow Library
Happy Hollow Library marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Shante
Shante marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Animal Book: A Collection of the Fastest, Fiercest, Toughest, Cleverest, Shyest—and Most Surprising—Animals on Earth
  • The Story of Buildings: From the Pyramids to the Sydney Opera House and Beyond
  • Becoming Ben Franklin: How a Candle-Maker's Son Helped Light the Flame of Liberty
  • Snake and Lizard
  • Bill the Boy Wonder: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman
  • The Cart That Carried Martin
  • Chuck Close: Face Book
  • Emancipation Proclamation: Lincoln and the Dawn of Liberty
  • LEGO Play Book: Ideas to Bring Your Bricks to
  • The Plant Hunters: True Stories of Their Daring Adventures to the Far Corners of the Earth
  • Brush of the Gods
  • Barbed Wire Baseball
  • Maps
  • The Conductor
From her website:

Donna Jo Napoli is both a linguist and a writer of children's and YA fiction.

Donna Jo has five children. She dreams of moving to the woods and becoming a naturalist. She loves to garden and bake bread.

At various times her house and yard have been filled with dogs, cats, birds, and rabbits. For thirteen years she had a cat named Taxi, and liked to go outside and call, "Taxi!" to
More about Donna Jo Napoli...
Zel Beast Sirena Bound Hush: An Irish Princess' Tale