Start by marking “Now Open the Box” as Want to Read:
Now Open the Box

Now Open the Box

Peewee’s in the box! Peewee the dog doesn’t know any tricks, “not a single one not even how to roll over not even how to shake hands but never mind he is so teeny weeny that everybody loves him,” the clown, the fat lady, the thin man, the huge tall giant, the strong baby, the acrobats, the elephants, and all the other amazing performers in the wonderful circus of the man ...more
Published August 20th 2013 by NYR Children's Collection (first published January 1st 1934)

To ask other readers questions about Now Open the Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Now Open the Box

Marilyn
Sep 05, 2013 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
"Once there was a circus man who wore a tall red hat and he had a very wonderful circus. And every day he would stand in front of his big red circus tent holding a very small box. Now what could be in that little, tiny box? When the circus man opens the box, all the people who ran, skipped, and hopped up to the circus man saw for themselves "the teeniest weeniest teeny teeny weeny weeny little dog in all the world."

The teeniest, tiniest little dog was named Peewee. Now Peewee the dog is not ver
My Book Addiction and More MBA
NOW OPEN THE BOX by Dorothy Kunhardt is an exciting Children's book/Growth/Circus. Age Range: 3-7, Grade level: Preschool-2. Follow Prewee,the teen weeny, dog and his friends, the clown,the fat lady,the thin man,the giant,the strong baby,acrobats,elephants,and all the other performers inside the Big Top Tent. A timeless classic by an amazing Children's author. Filled with colorful illustrations and interesting characters. Children and adults alike are sure to enjoy Peewee and his friends. While ...more
Krista
Nov 06, 2016 Krista rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved the images, but not the basic story of the book, that the dog was only lovable if it was either unusually small or unusually big and so could be exploited in the circus.
Kristi Bernard
Sep 01, 2013 Kristi Bernard rated it liked it
The New York Review Children's Collection is bringing some favorite children's books back into print. Author Dorothy Kunhardt loved writing for children and felt that books were a way of talking to them.

Now Open The Box is a delightful tale of a little circus dog named Pee Wee. This little dog was no ordinary dog. He was a circus dog loved by everyone. The Fat Lady loved Pee Wee, and so did the clown riding on a two-headed donkey, two elephants, the very thin man and even a snake that could roll
Linda
I won this book, just like A Junket Is Nice, one of the New York Review Children’s Collection books, published in 1932. It is also new to me, and Kunhardt’s writing is similar to Wanda Gag’s Millions of Cats with its constant repetition. When one sees the book, it is so different from what we are used to today. It uses few colors, red, yellow and black, and the drawings are quite simple, yet so effective. It’s about a circus owner, and his teeny, weeny dog, Little Peewee, who is the enticement ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
This classic children's book has been republished so that children today can read and enjoy it.

Dorothy Kunhardt wrote of Peewee, the little dog who fit in a small box. Everyone in the circus loved him. He was cute and tiny. Then the unthinkable happened and he grew. His growth almost lost him his place in the circus. He was no longer a novelty. Everyone was sad.

The book deals with a question many children have. When I grow up will I still be wanted and loved?

Peewee grew up to become a large dog
Kellee
Full review at: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=1919

Dorothy Kephardt has a way of telling her stories that reminds me of the We’re Going on a Bear Hunt song/story. They are catchy, fun, and will get the kids chorally reading “S/He loved little peewee.” Then underneath all of the fun and whimsy is the essential question of the story: Will I be loved/wanted even after I am not young and little and cute anymore? I think that this question will leave a large impact on the primary students who wi
Samantha
Oct 03, 2013 Samantha rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books, circus
This book focuses on a tiny dog who belongs to the circus. Everyone loves Peewee, but when he starts to grow he no longer fits into the circus. Luckily, he keeps growing and is allowed to stay with the circus because being a large dog is as big of an attraction as being a small dog.

Artwork is colored in black, red, and yellow. The book is quite long because many pages are devoted to th individual circus characters. I was a little freaked out by the goat that stands on a burning bed, but I think
Mary
This story is written in Dorothy Kunhardt's typical style with lots of run-on sentences, very little punctuation, and a varying number of words on each page. This story takes place in a circus with lots of unique and interesting characters. One of the characters starts changing, though, and isn't welcome into the circus until he changes back into something unique again. Not really sure how the message might be read, but it is an amusing story.
Tom
Aug 28, 2013 Tom rated it really liked it
From the author of Pat the Bunny, this little gem answers the question that probably nags at the back of every tot's head: What happens when I'm no longer a little baby everybody coos over? Will they stop loving me then? I can't do anything wonderful like the grownups can. What can they love me for?
Carol
This book was excellent! Excellent story development! A clever way to share information about a circus. I love the script/print as it encourages storytellers of all ages to observe and write about the world around them. Kunhardt wrote "Pat The Bunny" and this is every bit the gem that that book was and continues to be.
Kathryn
Dec 25, 2014 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The author Dorothy Kunhardt is most well known for Pat the Bunny. She was a prolific children's book author and The New York Review Children's Collection has begun republishing some of her books as well as many others. This story was very and quite simple and sweet.
Siskiyou-Suzy
I really like this strange little tale full of run-on sentences and filled with bizarre circus performers that all love a teensy tiny little puppy who soon isn't teensy tiny anymore. It's really just a sweet little story, rather silly and quirky, and I like it so much.
Dawn Little
Dawn Little rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2013
Quirkyreader
Quirkyreader rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
Kendra
Kendra rated it did not like it
Apr 08, 2014
Kaylee
Kaylee rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Amanda Martinez Kirby
Amanda Martinez Kirby rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2013
Kayla
Kayla rated it it was amazing
Danny
Danny rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Marcie
Marcie rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Laina
Laina rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2015
Melanie Dell
Melanie Dell rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2013
Trevor
Trevor rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Michele
Michele rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2013
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Cecilia Palazetti
Cecilia Palazetti rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2015
Seamus
Seamus rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Tyra
Tyra rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Colleen
Colleen rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2015
Dorothy Kunhardt was the author of over 50 children's book, including the legendary interactive baby book, Pat the Bunny. She was also a historian, writing several books about 19th century America, including a well-known account of the aftermath of Lincoln's assassination.
More about Dorothy Kunhardt...