Start by marking “The Man Who Lied To Women (Kathleen Mallory, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Man Who Lied To Women (Kathleen Mallory, #2)

The Man Who Lied To Women (Kathleen Mallory #2)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,642 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Fifteen years after Inspector Louis Markowitz adopted the wild child, no one in New York's Special Crimes section knew much about Kathy Mallory's origins. They only knew that the young cop with the soul of a thief could bewitch the most complex computer systems, could slip into the minds of killers with disturbing ease. In Central Park, a woman dies, while a witness watche ...more
Paperback
Published April 18th 1996 by Arrow (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Lied To Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Lied To Women

Tracey
The badly beaten and decomposed body of a tall blonde woman is found in a New York City park, and when a label inside her blazer states it belongs to Kathleen Mallory the entire NYPD seems to find out in minutes that Mallory is dead. It isn't till her erstwhile partner Riker actually sees the body that he can – with great relief – correct the ID – by which time the press has already gotten the news … The connection makes this personal for Mallory, and – suspension or no suspension (a separate en ...more
Fara
this is the third or fourth book in this series that I've read, and I have to say that I find myself more and more compelled by O'Connell's characters. There is as much mystery in who and what Mallory is - and how she affects the people around her - as there is in the murders that fascinate her. And with each book, there seems to be a growing sort of . . . other-natural? subtext as well, in the paranormal investigations that Charles and Mallory supposedly do.

Good mysteries, but different, not pr
LJ
THE MAN WHO CAST TWO SHADOWS - Ex
O'Connell, Carol - 2nd in series

A homicide report states that the woman lying on the autopsy table is none other than the mysterious "Kathy" who can bewitch the most complex computer system. But the real Kathy, now a detective in the Special Crimes Section, impersonates the corpse to catch the killer.

1995 Top Read - As much as I loved the first book in this series, I may actually like this one more. I am so intrigued by Mallory.
Linda Robinson
The second Kathleen Mallory book is a character study revealed by those in her orbit. From the mistaken identity beginning to the poker table discussions to tap-dancing with a fellow dark traveler, we learn more about Mallory from Charles Butler, Slope, Riker who whisper to us what they think they know. But maybe not. O'Connell is letting us in on what she knows about Mallory, enticingly like a magic trick performed slowly. The crimes are the stage. Well done.
Cheryl
This book is one of a series of books by Carol O'Connell about a beautiful, damaged, maverick, and almost sociopathic detective named Kathleen Mallory (who insists on being called simply "Mallory"), and the people that love her despite her flaws: Charles, an intelligent, rich, but ugly family friend; Lou, the cop that takes her in; and Riker, her adopted father's partner. The relationships that develop between these characters as they solve crimes together are the focus of the series. This story ...more
Kathy
Another Mallory book. Again, not the best in the series but still masterful writing.
Linda  Branham Greenwell
A Sgt. Mallory novel... Mallory was suspended from duty (she shot the gun out of a perp's hand rather than aiming at the wide part of the body, per regulations) and it seems she is temporarily in business with Charles. Charles is a genius with an eidetic memory, and investigates special talents and finds work (often with the government) for those who possess them.

But a woman is killed in Central Park and the first detective on the scene finds Mallory's name-tag in the victim's blazer. Mallory t
Susan
The Man Who Cast Two Shadows by Carol O’Connell is the second book of the Kathleen Mallory series set in 1990’s New York City. Sergeant Kathleen Mallory is a brilliant computer hacker and homicide detective in the Special Crimes Section of the New York City Police Department. The late homicide detective Louis Markowitz first met Kathy when she was ten years old, a wild child on the streets. He and his wife Helen adopted Kathy and raised her as their beloved daughter. In addition to her NYPD job, ...more
Cathy Cole
If you're the type of reader who prefers likable, touchy feely main characters, move away from this book (and the entire series). Kathy Mallory is not the character for you. Found living on the streets as a young child, she was taken in and raised by a police officer and his wife, both of whom soon realized that Mallory's sociopathic tendencies required special handling. Mallory does not form relationships like normal people. She doesn't bond; she doesn't chit chat; she doesn't smile; and she ce ...more
Gill
The second book featuring NYPD detective Kathy Mallory, who predated Stieg Larsson's Lisbeth Salander by several years but put me in mind of her, with her sociopathy and mad hacker skills.

In the first book, Mallory's Oracle, we were told only that 10 year-old Mallory was rescued from life on the streets and raised by a detective and his wife. Here we learn more of Mallory's backstory but still not how she came to be lost on the street in the first place.

The novel centres around a body found in a
Veronica Sanche
This was an interesting book yet strange and complex in certain places. The protagonist is a rogue lone wolf cop who will do anything to get the guilty person. The other characters are all unique with some odd characteristics. The plot moves quickly and keeps you focused on the crime at hand. It is also very intense and I'm not certain I could read more of O'Connell's novels.
Howard Brittain
My second of the Mallory series and although quite enjoyable I found it hard to finish. A potentially interesting character yes, but what I find to be the scatter brained side stories irritate me.

Mallory reminds me of Saga Norén in "The Bridge" Scandinavian series by Hans Rosenfeldt. But the Saga character is richer and more consistently written imho.
Bondama
The heroine of the Mallory books by Carol O'Connell is completely unique. She was a feral child, lost (but surviving) on the streets of New York from the age of 7 - and O'Connell makes this quite believable. By the time she's 11, Mallory gets caught breaking into a car, but instead of calling Child Protective Services, the cop who caught her takes her home to his wife, and they adopt Mallory. Adopt her, but not tame her. The novels take place when Mallory is grown (NEVER call her Kathy)and a mem ...more
Chris
Mallory is a great character - razor sharp, both in intellect and personality. In this second installment, Kathy solves several pending cases at the same time (sardonically likening the schemes she's running to preparing a large dinner and trying to get everything to come out at the same time.) A story line about a kid who may or may not be able to wield knives through the air using only his mind is weird and distracting, though. Some dark humor but a sad and mournful tone throughout - both abou ...more
Lynn Pribus
This is #2 in the Mallory series. Enjoyed it. Learned about Mallory's background and the childhood trauma that formed her personality to a great extent.

She's on leave from the NYPD in this one, exploring sine serial murders on her own, but with help and knowledge of the NYPD. Charles the Strange is her partner in much of this and there is a sustantial dose of paranormal and references back to Max the (deceased) Magician, met in the first volume.

A lot of threads weaving around, but all pulled tog
Rebekkila
I was tempted to rate this higher because the good parts are so good, but there were a few slow sections in the book. Mallory is such a great character and I am getting attached to her cohorts. I hope the author doesn't kill them off.
Eugene Gorodinsky
After reading the second book, I have to say Kathy Mallory is the most complex character I've ever read about. The quintessential femme fatale, with a sharp mind and an ability to get into a person's head like no one else, and yet this is just the surface, because the more you read about her the more you realize that something is broken inside of her.
Pat
This book has two titles, this one, and The Man who lied to Women, dont know why this is, but whatever the title in enjoyed the story
Once again Mallory is left to her devices to solve a crime and also to deal with family who are having problems with items moving about the room. Found the story once again changing to before and after crime, but this time managed to follow ok, as i have now got used to the author and how she writes her novels. Will continue to read any other books in this series,
Ann aka Iftcan
Not the best I've ever read. And frankly, its the last of the books by this author I will read. The idea is good, but her writing style is so heavy handed that I just could not get interested in any of the characters. None of them are even remotely likable, and in my opinion Dexter does a better job of presenting what is essentially a psychopath in the employ of a police department. I would have given this only 1 star, except that the IDEA was so good (and predates Dexter, so its not a copycat t ...more
Sjaak
Also the man who lied to women
Tom
Mallory #2
Jessica
While it's no fault of O'Connell's, I found myself struggling to keep the threads of this one straight because my e-book edition eliminated all of the line breaks that were likely used in the print edition to mark a shift in scene/actors. In a book that jumps around as much as this one does, this is a real loss and handicapped my enjoyment, even once I got it straight enough to guess at least one of the endings.
Ellen
Mallory puts herself out on a limb in this book when she goes undercover in an upscale New York apartment building, where four men are all possibilities as the murderer of a woman who is found dead wearing Mallory's castoff jacket. Although most take place in New York City and have the same core characters in them, each book in the series is very different from the others.

Ellen Besso
Author of An Indian Sojourn &
Surviving Eldercare
Facebook: AuthorEllenBesso
Martha Grace
Jan 24, 2014 Martha Grace rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Martha by: next in the series
Second in the series--going back to the beginning of the story. Will read more
Cindi
When a woman brutally murdered in the park, the body is IDed as Kathy Mallory's--it is even wearing one of her hand-tailored jackets. But the ID is incorrect and Mallory must track down the killer. Was Mallory the intended victim? Again packed with complex and fascinating characters who push the limits of human experience to attain their desires. Extremely well-written suspense. I must find the next book in the series!!!
Chi Dubinski
In the second book of the Mallory series, Kathy Mallory is presumed dead when the body of a woman who closely resembles her is found murdered wearing one of Mallory's blazers. While Mallory tracks down the killer, she also gets involved with a case of mental telepathy that her friend Charles Butler is investigating. Plenty of red herrings in this book, but Mallory is always one step ahead. Great series.
Trish
On the whole I liked it, but the author does get rather repetative with stressing home points about the main character within the same book. Honest, I got most of them the first time I read them. You really don't need to tell me that Mallory has cold green eyes every thirty pages or so. Still, a decent story and the main character is interesting. Definitely one of the influences for Lisbeth Salander.
Deb
I like this character. After finishing the first book I had to read the next in the series as i was hooked.
mallory is now on partnership with charles. Charles is in love with mallory, but her character isn't caable of any emotional feelings. She is like steig larrson's character, lisbeth salander. This book was before steig's. Mallory is a computer wizard, ruthless, gets what she wants.
  • To Play the Fool (Kate Martinelli, #2)
  • Burning Time (April Woo, #1)
  • Remember Me, Irene (Irene Kelly #4)
  • Leave a Message for Willie (Sharon McCone, #5)
  • Deadline
  • Seventy-Seven Clocks (Bryant & May, # 3)
  • The James Deans (Moe Prager, #3)
  • Kittyhawk Down (Inspector Challis, #2)
  • Kolymsky Heights
  • The Valentine's Day Murder (Christine Bennett, #8)
  • The Case of the Late Pig (Albert Campion Mystery #8)
  • Final Breath
  • The Vault (Peter Diamond, #6)
  • Holy Terrors (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #3)
Born in 1947, Carol O'Connell studied at the California Institute or Arts/Chouinard and the Arizona State University. She lives in New York City.

Series:
* Kathleen Mallory

More about Carol O'Connell...

Kathleen Mallory (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Mallory's Oracle (Kathleen Mallory, #1)
  • Killing Critics (Kathleen Mallory, #3)
  • Stone Angel (Kathleen Mallory, #4)
  • Shell Game (Kathleen Mallory, #5)
  • Crime School (Kathleen Mallory, #6)
  • Dead Famous (Kathleen Mallory, #7)
  • Winter House (Kathleen Mallory, #8)
  • Find Me (Kathleen Mallory, #9)
  • The Chalk Girl (Kathleen Mallory, #10)
  • It Happens in the Dark (Kathleen Mallory, #11)
Mallory's Oracle (Kathleen Mallory, #1) The Chalk Girl (Kathleen Mallory, #10) Judas Child Stone Angel (Kathleen Mallory, #4) Bone By Bone