Start by marking “Digger, Dozer, Dumper” as Want to Read:

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Each truck and big machine in these enticing rhyming poems is different — and little readers are invited to find a vehicle that’s like them.

Sixteen boisterous, rhyming poems — each one highlighting the job and personality of a different vehicle, from a backhoe to an ambulance to a snowplow — invite young children to meet their favorite trucks face-to-face. Cheerful illustr
Published August 27th 2013 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Digger, Dozer, Dumper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digger, Dozer, Dumper

Tracey
Instead of asking “Which truck do you like best?” Digger, Dozer, Dumper by Hope Vestergaard changes that question to “Which truck would you like to be?” The author uses the pronouns “he” and “she” instead of “it”, and the illustrator adds a subtle face to each of the trucks. The poems treat each vehicle like a living creature with specific personalities and preferences and passions. The garbage truck “adores” the sights and smells and sounds of his work. The ambulance “ferries folks to hospitals ...more
Susan
This collection of poems about different types of trucks and construction equipment will be a sure fire HIT with the toddler, preschool, and kindergarten crowd! The text is engaging and begs to be read aloud over and over. The illustrations are an added bonus. This will be fun one for library story times! And my 2 year old nephew gives it TWO high fives and super loud VAROOM! VAROOM!

I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you or order DIGGER, DOZER, DUMPER on Ind
Meribeth
Young readers are introduced to a variety of working vehicles in this picture book of rhyming poems. From early morning street sweeper and garbage truck, to backhoe, bulldozer, and cement mixer, the poems are rhythmic and easy to read out loud. Fire truck, ambulance and tow truck are ready to rescue: “Bent your fender? Lost your way?/Tow truck’s here to save the day."
Children, with a refreshing mix of skin color and gender, drive the 16 working machines: among these are steamroller, forklift a
Geneva Roberts
As a mom of three boys who are obsessed with all kinds of trucks and construction equipment, this book has been a favorite in our home library. The book has multiple poems about various types of vehicles from street sweepers, garbage trucks, dump trucks, firetrucks and cement mixers. Each poem is paired with color illustrations showing how they work captivating my sons attention.I would recommend this book for young children in the classroom or at home. It is a wonderful book to just simply ente ...more
Emily
Digger, Dozer, Dumper
This book talked about and described various trucks including the street sweeper, garbage truck, dump truck, backhoe, skid-steer loader, excavator, bulldozer, cement mixer, fire truck, ambulance, cherry picker, tow truck, steamroller, forklift, semi, and snowplow. I can pair this book with Truck Stuck by Sallie Wolf. In this book, a truck gets stuck under a viaduct and holds up many vehicles behind it. Some of the vehicles mentioned in the traffic jam include the excavator,
Amy Rachuba
Ever stand and watch construction vehicles? If you know someone who can't simply walk by a working excavator, this is one for them. A book of poems, with each machine getting its own dedicated page to the specialties of each. Fun to read with a variety of different styles, although not my favorite construction picture book. Found a list with some of the best construction books I have run across, although it is missing one of my favorites, Alphabeep!: A Zipping, Zooming ABC.
Richie Partington
Richie's Picks: DIGGER, DOZER, DUMPER by Hope Vestergaard and David Slonim, ill., Candlewick, August 2013, 32p., ISBN: 978-0-7636-5078-0

"I'm a steamroller, baby
I'm bound to roll all over you"
-- James Taylor, "Steamroller Blues"

"DUMP TRUCK
The dump truck doesn't dump his dirt
just anywhere --
he's precise.
He slowly lifts his giant bed
and checks his target twice.
CRASH! BANG! CLANGETY CLANG!
The gravel starts to spill --
a might swoosh, and just like that,
he pours a little hill."

Sixteen friendly and ha
Bunnyjadwiga
My preschool truck fan loved this so much we'll probably have to buy a copy. It covers a wide variety of trucks-- streetsweeper, garbage truck, dumptruck, backhoe, skid-steer loader, excavator, bulldozer, cement mixer, fire truck, ambulance, cherry picker, tow truck, steamroller, forklift, semi, snowplow... all the standard truck-fan favorites. The adorable, softly rounded illustrations show slightly anthropomorphized truck equipment-- with eyes-- paired with child-shaped construction workers. C ...more
Karen
Digger Dozer Dumper is a book of poetry. It is a brand new book just published in 2013. Although it has not won any awards as of yet, I feel it certainly has the potential of winning. This book is intended for nursery years, primary years and could possibly stretch into the early intermediate years as well.

Digger Dozer Dumper contains individual poems describing different trucks, tractors, and machines and their uses.

I rated this book five stars. The colorful illustrations had added animation by
Heidi
For the truck lovers, I really like this. It explains quite well and succinctly what many trucks do. There are some bigger words, but they can be figured out from context and it's a great teaching opportunity (if it's a lap-read). I loved seeing the little kids and dog inside the vehicles, which made the very end all that more fun. Poetry flows pretty well, too. I wasn't too pleased with the Beehive poetry nominees (length of book, etc.), so I have a feeling this will be one of my favorites.
Diane
Poems about the different types of big machines of which children are fascinated. I love the question at the end "Which truck would you like to be?" I'm going to ask kids to answer that question and support their answer with evidence from the text (I want to be a backhoe because he can do more than one job.) It might also be worth asking "Which truck do you think you are most like?" Could make for some fun dicussions.
Taylor Brady
This is a cute book about the importance and role of several different vehicles. The explanations of each vehicle are rhythmic and take on a human personality. The book focuses mostly on trucks and construction equipment; as a teacher one could discuss the community importance and human jobs of each of these vehicles.
Kristi
My son and I both loved this book! There is a page for each different kind of truck with a catchy rhyme written about it. It captivated my son, who so far has not been an especially big fan of books. But when he finds one he loves, it is always a great one like this. Enjoy!!
Chrystina
This is a book of poetry for young children, grades k-1. I really enjoyed the poems in this book. It is not only poetry , but informational for children to learn about trucks and machinery. I really enjoyed this book and I think it could be fun for kids to read.
Bethe
Fun, fun, fun poems about trucks, all rhyme and flow smoothly. Just as fun are the illustrations, with diverse male and female drivers, and a puppy on each page! Love how the female trucks have long eyelashes. Surprise ending finishes up the truck fun.
Betsy
the poems were clever and slightly technical in its language, so a good balance of entertaining and educational. i must limit the pages to my son because he wants to read all of the poems. if your child likes to learn about vehicles this is a good book.
Jocelin
This was a cute book that took you through the lives of the heavy equipment that make building possible. I love the rhyming theme of the book. Each of the construction vehicle had its own description which was really cool. The illustrations were done well and had a artistic sketch feel to them. Good book for story time.
Brenda Kahn
Who knew poetry about big rigs could be so much fun? A multicultural cast of kids dig and doze, as in bulldoze in slightly anthropomorphized big trucks. The palette is colorful and energetic and just the ticket for any truck-obsessed youngster.
Elizabeth Burr
This book is so great! Digger, Dozer, Dumper has 16 differnt peoms in it; Having a different poem for each truck. Its like each truck is its own little personalitly. it would be a neat way to get the children to write about themselves and what they do everyday. The book ends with the questions "whaat truck would you like to be?" This is a great way to get children thinking.

CHERRY PICKER

The cherry picker's lanky arm
unfolds into the air,
reaching high among the trees
to find what's lurking there:
a
Karimah Grayson
What a great book for little children, heck even for adults. As I read this book to my grandson, I learned about so many types of trucks that I've seen but didn't know their names. Purchase the book for boys and girls alike.
Joan
My grandson loved this book. He is going to be 5 and loves big machines and trucks. The poetry helped him predict some words. The illustrations are personified, but also have realistic parts.
Anna Nesterovich
Surprisingly, my little boy, obsessed with tractors and other mashines, only flipped through the book a couple of times. The book is well-made, but obviously not exciting and bright enough.
Lori
This is a great addition for the preschoolers in your life who are obsessed with all things construction. Short poems, good vocabulary, delightful illustrations. Just great.
Alice
4.5 Stars A great story about hereos and their trucks. I think I am going to use this one for adventure hour this summer! Thanks for the fun!
Sylvester
3* art
3* poetry

Squirt likes to point out the dog on every page, and his favorite, the skid steer loader with an auger attachment!
Heather
Very well written and descriptive poetry about all kinds vehicles. Sure to be a hit with vehicle loving little boys!
Keeko
Very cute illustrations, and now I know a lot more about trucks. A fun book to read again and again.
Emmalynn Herbstritt
The poems that were written were really good. I also found the illustrations super cute.
Michael
Little poems about big machines means big fun for little guys.
For more great Picture Books for little guys, see: http://www.talestoldtall.com/B4BPictu...
Janine
Love reading this aloud with my 2 year old. A new favorite for all...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Stardines Swim High Across the Sky: and Other Poems
  • Night Light
  • Twenty Big Trucks in the Middle of the Street
  • What the Heart Knows: Chants, Charms, and Blessings
  • Demolition
  • How to Train a Train
  • National Geographic Book of Animal Poetry: 200 Poems with Photographs That Squeak, Soar, and Roar!
  • Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom
  • Shiver Me Timbers!: Pirate Poems & Paintings
  • Firefly July A Year of Very Short Poems
  • Big Snow
  • Step Gently Out
  • Who Put the Cookies in the Cookie Jar?
Hope Vestergaard, a former early childhood teacher, is the author of several books for children. She lives with her husband and two sons, as well as cows, horses, pigs, and dogs, on a small farm outside of Ann Arbor, Michigan.
More about Hope Vestergaard...
Potty Animals: What to Know When You've Gotta Go! Hello, Snow! What Do You Do When a Monster Says Boo? Hillside Lullaby I Don't Want to Clean My Room: A Mess of Poems About Chores