Start by marking “Never Go Back (Jack Reacher, #18)” as Want to Read:
Never Go Back (Jack Reacher, #18)

Read Excerpt

Never Go Back (Jack Reacher #18)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  41,886 Ratings  ·  3,504 Reviews
After an epic and interrupted journey all the way from the snows of South Dakota, Jack Reacher has finally made it to Virginia. His destination: a sturdy stone building a short bus ride from Washington D.C., the headquarters of his old unit, the 110th MP. It was the closest thing to a home he ever had.

Why? He wants to meet the new commanding officer, Major Susan Turner. He

Published September 3rd 2013 by Delacorte Press (first published August 29th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Never Go Back, please sign up.

Marc You don't have to, no previous information is necessary. Technically this story line is an arc that was started back a few books ago - but it is not…moreYou don't have to, no previous information is necessary. Technically this story line is an arc that was started back a few books ago - but it is not critical other than to know he was on his way back to Virginia. The books in between have no relevance to this story, He kinda got sidetracked on his way to Virginia.(less)

Rosemary
Sep 04, 2013 Rosemary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Where is Jack Reacher? Who is this imposter?

I am a huge Lee Child / Jack Reacher fan, and have been reading these books for years, but it has got to the point where I say that this could very well be my last Jack Reacher purchase. It pains me to say this, as these books have been the highlight of my reading calender for a long time.

There were a few times when I seriously considered not finishing the book, but this is Lee Child and Reacher, surely it can only get better? No, the writing was consi
Harry
Book Review
 photo reacher_zps376eab7c.jpg

Jack Reacher is back, in this, the 18th in the series. Like all the others I read this in one or two sittings in spite of the fact that some parts did not involve as much action as we have come to expect from this series. Lee Child's skill in causing one to turn the page is really quite excellent. Completing the book I took a look around GR and touched base with some fellow fans of this series. Although I was going to give this book a 4 star rating, reading their reviews caused me to
Kaceey
Nov 16, 2016 Kaceey rated it liked it
I tried my hardest to finish this book before the movie came out, but I was a couple weeks too late. Actually it could be closer to a month by now! I kept putting it down as it just didn't hold my interest. Couldn't get into it.

I hope I enjoy the movie more than I did the book. To me it was the same old Jack Reacher, saving the world and finding a little love along the way, only to move onto the next town and do it all over again.

I still enjoy the series and will keep reading it. I am too far in
Andrew Smith
Oct 30, 2013 Andrew Smith rated it liked it
Cards on the table. I like Reacher, always have, but I might be getting a bit tired of reading the same story.

I settled in to read the latest offering and at first it was like meeting up with an old friend, it prompted a smile of anticipation as I turned the first page (albeit electronically these days). I like the routine stuff: the coffee drinking, the luggage load of a toothbrush and nothing more, the alarm clock in his head and all the rest. I like the clinically linear way the stories are t
James Thane
Jul 03, 2014 James Thane rated it really liked it
While traveling through South Dakota in 61 Hours, ex-military cop Jack Reacher had occasion to call in to his old office in Washington, D.C, the headquarters of the 110th MP. Reacher once commanded the unit but it now belongs to Major Susan Turner. Reacher decided that Turner had a very nice voice and, on the strength of that impression, he has slowly been making his way in the direction of D.C. in the hope that she will go out to dinner with him.

As this book opens, he finally arrives only to di
Deb Mj
Sep 06, 2013 Deb Mj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More like a 3.5 for me. Much better than the last offering, this is classic Reacher. However, after 17 of these books, I was hoping for a bit of evolvement in Reacher's character or life position. There were glimmers of hope, but in the end we're still left with Reacher on his own, kicking ass and righting all the world's wrongs. I love Reacher, but I have to admit that I'm getting just a little bit bored.

And, not having written a review since "A Wanted Man", which came out after the casting of
Michael
There is such a purity in Child’s formula, I can’t resist it. All variations on a primal theme of one man against a Goliath of corrupt forces. A haiku of nouns and verbs, of chase and run, the reading of tea leaves like ripples that point to the track of sharks. Brave confrontations with desperados without even a butter knife. In this one our ex-military policeman hero Reacher breaks the mold by teaming with a twin, the new female chief of his former MP unit. Child whets us with small glimpses o ...more
Jason
You're going to like this, or you're not going to like this. Fifty-fifty.
Linda Wells
Dec 01, 2013 Linda Wells rated it it was amazing
This Jack Reacher novel continues the series of deceptively simple, well conceived and crafted, and satisfying novels. Reacher is a bit more mature at times but always ahead of the story curve. The plot is timely, and the story is driven by ethical dilemmas faced by Reacher as a result of his past.

I try to anticipate the ending in as much detail as practical, but Never Go Back was a challenge in this regard. Never Go Back is a worthwhile read, even for a new Reacher fan.
Courtney
Jul 22, 2013 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never Go Back (Reacher #18)
Lee Child ☆★☆★

I won an advance copy from goodreads first reads.

WOW! First Reacher novel Ever and certainly will not be my last.
Lee Child did a great job with making it a stand alone novel, but sometimes throughout the book I thought it would have been a little more helpful to read the past books and have a back story. But with that said I was still able to follow on and enjoy this novel.

In this novel Jack Reacher goes to Virginia to Meet Major Susan Turner who had in
Edward Wolfe
Sep 29, 2013 Edward Wolfe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
There's not much I can say here. If you're a Jack Reacher fan, get this book.

If you're not yet, then do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Killing Floor - the first Jack Reacher book. Once you've fallen in love with Reacher, rejoice in the fact that there are 17 more novels to get absorbed and lost in.

This book was a great way to lose more than half of a Saturday. People always ask the same stupid question at work on Monday mornings: How was your weekend? [As if anyone really gives a f* how
Ahmad Sharabiani
Never Go Back (Jack Reacher, #18), Lee Child
Larry
Mar 04, 2013 Larry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the characters in the 18th Jack Reacher book, an army MP major (like Reacher) sums Reacher up economically: "It's like you've been sanded down to nothing but yes and no, and you and them, and black and white, and live or die (176-177)." There's a lot in this book to support that view, but, as usual, there's a few moments that make it clear that Reacher isn't really "feral," as the other major characterizes him. WHat happens to a scared young waitress matters, just as what Reacher admires ...more
Lewis Weinstein
Oct 19, 2015 Lewis Weinstein rated it it was amazing
If you like the Reacher series, this one will suit you fine. Fast paced, engrossing, packed with action ... and even a few tender moments.

A note on Child's technique ... the chapters roll forward, with the next one always picking up where the previous one left off. The story rushes forward and never misses a beat. Maybe that's why so many readers (including me) report reading a 500 page book in two nights.

I would not, however, recommend this as the first Reacher you should read, since there is
Miles
Jul 07, 2013 Miles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Jack Reacher is back and don’t worry folks he’s back with his usual swagger, confidence and his remarkable ability to get things done, completely on his own terms and in his own time of course. Never Go Back is another rip roaring adventure with arguably the most iconic action hero of the modern literary world. Who wouldn’t want to be in his shoes? Yet again he takes no prisoners and his no nonsense approach is refreshing, one can never get enough of The Reacher!

Although we come across a little
Bette
Sep 10, 2013 Bette rated it liked it
Bob Dylan said, "You can always go back, but you can't go back all the way".I think even the title, "Never Go Back" is a clue to Reacher 2014.I found out about Jack Reacher late, so I didn't have to wait for annual installments until about 5 books ago.I really liked who and what he was, and thought Lee Child was a good purveyor of this huge ex-Marine (MP) drifter, good-guy, Jack Reacher. The books do not have to be read in order, but I was fortunate to read him as he grew.
And, then, Tom Cruise g
Rex Fuller
Sep 04, 2013 Rex Fuller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is good Reacher, almost as good as the first few. If you are new to the series read them in order, but if this one is somehow on your list first it does stand on its own. He returns to his old HQ near Arlington Cemetery to see the new CO, because she is a woman whose voice he liked on the phone. He finds she is in confinement awaiting trial on nebulous charges. Then the Army begins prosecuting him for a murder that happened sixteen years ago. He breaks them both out of jail and the bulk of ...more
Subroto
Sep 01, 2013 Subroto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-thriller
So the 2013 Reacher book is finally out !!!

Disclaimer : I am a Jack Reacher Fan Bitch.

So what are the good things which you can look forward to ?

Reacher fighting men "with both his hands behind his back", Reacher disabling 2 of his trackers inside a passenger cabin of a commercial airline and no one noticing and Reacher telling you how West Virginia is basically one big ATM. - that's all there and much more !

In short this book is as Reacheresque as it can be.

This is Classic Reacher + in my opi
Mark
Sep 15, 2013 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never Go Back (A Jack Reacher novel) by Lee Child

I hate to say it … but after 18 books, Reacher is starting to suffer from the Spenser Syndrome: a great character that is becoming redundant.

Robert B. Parker’s Spenser novels were phenomenal books until about #14 … then trouble seeps in. And the more Spenser’s main squeeze, Susan Silverman, is involved in the story, the worse it is.

Same with Child. Reacher is one of the most interesting characters but over the last few novels, (particularly with
Mike
Never Go Back gets 3 Stars. A better book than his last one but I have to agree with another reviewer-Reacher is starting to get a little boring. He really doesn't change with the passage of time. This story revolves around his return to his 110th MP command, now led by another Major...definitely better looking than him but just as tough-minded. The plot is not as good as some of his other work, involving a conspiracy of individuals at the highest levels of the Pentagon and in Afghanistan. Reach ...more
Eric
Normally, I like the Jack Reacher books. I liked Never Go Back but this one didn't seem to have the entertainment quality as some of the other books that I have read.

There are a number of things in the book that just bugged me. The phrase "fifty-fifty" being one of them. I thought it was over used. Another thing that annoyed me is how contrived the story was set up. Reacher having been out of the service for years is magically reinstated. The so-called trumped up criminal charges brought up on R
Gaby
Aug 05, 2013 Gaby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, amazon-vine
If you're reading this review, you're likely a fan of Lee Child's Jack Reacher series and trying to decide whether to pre-order Never Go Back. I recently read that Lee Child and Rick Riordan top the Amazon pre-order list for Fall 2013 and since I tend to pre-order Lee Child's novels, I should say that this latest one is definitely worth getting as soon as possible.

Never Go Back continues the story that began with 61 Hours, The Affair, and A Wanted Man. Reacher's last conflict introduced him to t
Brenda
Mar 22, 2013 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack Reacher had travelled from South Dakota to Virginia on a whim; he liked the sound of Major Susan Turner’s voice when he spoke to her on the phone, so that was reason enough to travel across the country to ask her out to dinner in his mind. Major Turner was the Commanding Officer of his old unit, the 110th, so it was like coming home to him. He had never met Turner, but he was about to change that.

But the instant Reacher entered his old office and discovered she wasn’t at the desk, his insti
Jessica
Nov 08, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I keep coming back to this series in the same way, and for the same reason, that I devour Agatha Christie. You know that things will follow a certain thread - Reacher will be clever in an adding-it-up way, he'll beat up some guys who deserve it, he'll collaborate with an attractive woman, and when he ties it all together, his future fate is an open book. And while the plots and their secondary characters change, Reacher's a steady, almost calming presence. Sure, Child's not reinventing the world ...more
Ed
Aug 08, 2013 Ed rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Long on logistical detail and elaborate planning monologues and short on the action required to move the plot along expeditiously can be attributed to Reacher's new adventure. Unfortunately, Lee Child's initially winning formula has become somewhat tedious and "been there, done that". I will of course, continue to purchase and read every new, annually published Reacher book and hope for the best.
Syndi
Jan 20, 2017 Syndi rated it it was ok
i think tom cruise is a wrong actir to play reacher.

the plot is standard boring. toward 30% of the book, pretty much a plot where main character will prevail and hailed as hero.

i dont understand about sam character. why is she even there??
Joel Goldman
Sep 11, 2013 Joel Goldman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first ninety percent of this book is one of the best Reacher books; the last ten percent is only so-so but that makes for a thriller better than most. Glad to see Reacher probe his capacity for committed relationships. Would have liked to see more threatening villains and close calls.
Scott Rhee
Oct 13, 2016 Scott Rhee rated it really liked it
So, I’m really starting to feel sorry for Jack Reacher now. I never thought pity would be an emotion I would ever feel for him; sadness, maybe, because here’s a guy who literally has no one in his life that he can call family or even friend. His nomadic lifestyle requires it.

Living a life without lasting connections of any sort is a sad existence, but it’s understandable in Reacher. He’s chosen it, and he likes it.

Until several books ago, when he meets a voice on a phone. Her name is Susan, and
Nick Brett
Not the best Reacher but still an easy page turner. The last couple of novels have pointed Reacher in the direction of the female Major who has taken over his old unit (he likes the sound of her voice). Finally he arrives only to find she has been replaced, he is pulled back into the military and his past seems to be catching up with him. Maybe.

So classic Reacher as he out smarts the bad guys and roots out the conspiracy at the heart of all his troubles. And on the journey we get many classic Re
Bob
Sep 06, 2013 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ack Reacher is back! Working his way to Virginia and his old office (while is was in the service) to meet the new CO whom he had talked to on the phone, he finds her missing and himself back in the Army and under arrest for a murder that happened years ago. And as an added problem there is a civil paternity suit being pressed against him. Now Jack and no idea who the woman in the civil suit is and is sure he didn’t kill the supposed victim either, but the cards seem stacked deep against him. Kno ...more