Start by marking “Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones, #3)” as Want to Read:
Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones, #3)

Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones #3)

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  24,394 ratings  ·  4,350 reviews
Bridget Jones is back!

Great comic writers are as rare as hen's teeth. And Helen is one of a very select band who have created a character of whom the very thought makes you smile. Bridget Jones' Diary, charting the life of a 30-something singleton in London in the 1990s was a huge international bestseller, published in 40 countries and selling over 15 million copies worldw
Published October 15th 2013 by Knopf Canada (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Mad About the Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad About the Boy

Heddus Blackwell
Number of days expected to take to read this book: 1, number of days actually took to read this book: 9, number of times expected to be able to put down this book: 0, number of times actually put down this book: 100+
I loved Bridget Jones; I avidly read the weekly column before the books came out and excitedly awaited the release of the third book. As all fans are aware, Bridget's appeal was that women, whatever their background, could identify with her. Sadly, this is no longer the case: she is
Kay
After hearing what the book is supposed to be about and the direction it's supposed to go in,

description
Mimi
Dear Ms. Fielding,

I want to erase this book from my memory. I read it, and, despite the plot, the scenes are good, the writing is fine, funny, and sometimes sad. But, the premise that (view spoiler)

I don't think you understand the appe
Diane
When I heard that Helen Fielding had written a third book about Bridget Jones, I was a bit perplexed because I wasn't sure whether the quirky antics of the scattered, 30-something Bridget would still be amusing in a 50-something mother. But it was surprisingly fun to read about her adventures in dating and parenthood. The book made me laugh out loud several times, and I often found myself smiling while I read.

The novel opens with Bridget excited about dating a younger man and writing a screenpla
Joanna
Time spent looking forward to new Bridget Jones book: Months!
Time spent reading new Bridget Jones book: 2 days
Time spent being disappointed in new Bridget Jones book: rest of life, approx.

(view spoiler)
Hannah
Oct 03, 2013 Hannah marked it as to-read
The whole appeal of Helen Fielding's novels have been based on my absolute love for anything Jane Austen, and considering that Mr Darcy is "my guy", Pride and Prejudice retellings or modern remakes have always had a special place in my heart.

Granted, I enjoy the movie more so than the book, but at least I can still picture Colin Firth as Mark Darcy. That's not to say that the book isn't great - it is infinitely times greater than any other piece of chick lit out there, and that's the appeal of B
Catherine
I preordered it! So excited. It's ridiculous how people judge the book without reading it... The ratings should be blocked until the release...

I just read it! I love that Bridget still is the same beloved and funny Bridget we met before. I enjoyed her toy boy adventure, I really love the character of Billy and I think the ending didnt disappoint!

Its funny, exciting and so easy to read. Really enjoyable.
Dina
Oct 05, 2013 Dina marked it as to-avoid
Shelves: chick-lit
You've got to be kidding me! (view spoiler) Even though I'm not a fan of the previous BJ books - the movies are much better, which is an anomaly -, they were certainly a must-read in the late 90s, I'll give you that. But this one... WTF?!?
Kate Hilton
Rarely have a seen a set of reviews as inconsistent as those for Helen Fielding's latest installment in the Bridget Jones saga, Mad About the Boy. I assume that much of the hostility derives from Fielding's decision to do away with the beloved Mark Darcy in a horrible accident, and to set the novel at a point in time five years later, when Bridget is beginning to recover from the shock of her grief. This is not classic chick lit in the manner of the original two Bridget Jones novels; there is ro ...more
Charlie Darcy
Oct 16, 2013 Charlie Darcy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who are not too emotionally involved with Mark Darcy
I wasn't going to read this book. (view spoiler) However, as release date neared, I found myself (view spoiler)

I'm sad to say that I didn't enjoy it as a book. I admit I'd gone into it with the above reservations, however, I did at
Karen Chadwick
I found the endless text speak, twittering etc very, very annoying and incredibly difficult to read, quite frankly I felt it was a lazy way of writing, and a means of padding.
Bridget's character (in this book) is completely unbelievable, very immature and totally one dimensional.
Extremely poor characterisation, and with an underdeveloped paper thin plot.
Maybe this is a minor niggle, but I found the name "Roxter" to be the literary equivalent of nails down a blackboard.
Helen Fielding now says tha
D
Mar 08, 2014 D rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the Bridget series who are feeling forgiving
high 2s

a moderate disappointment. at times fielding really brings it (exploring grief and loss), and seeing the adult incarnations of bridget's pack of besties makes me smile. but mostly i was fatigued by our hapless heroine: the neuroses that used to seem charming just come off as ridiculous in a woman of her age. her self-sabotage, narcissism, and failure to launch were cringingly Rorschachian as i read her in my twenties. but she's fifty-one now, and she simply comes off as sad and unhinged.
Sharon
Diabolical.

Lovable, cuddly, foot-in-mouth, just-the-way-you-are Bridget is long gone. In her place is a 51 year old widow obsessed with finding a man (yes, still,- and while we're on the subject, what kind of a name is Roxster?!), losing weight (yes, still, - a referral to an obesity clinic at a size 14? Really Helen? Way to relate to a huge chunk of your original fans there...) and booze (mouthful of wine in the middle of a children's diarrhea/vomit incident? Really?)

As for "hilarious" - if you
Rachael Goodenough
Gahhhhh, Gahhhhh and more damn Gahhhhhhhhhh

Let me preface my thoughts by saying that I'm going to pretend this book was never written, swiftly returning to a sweeter time when I believed that our gentle heroine received the happy ending she deserved from the end of book 2.

I would like to start every sentence with 'the very cheek' and 'how dare you' whilst making sweeping arm gestures but I don't want to continually repeat a theme, unlike a certain English Novelist that we all know.

Sooo then, let
Mara
Helen Fielding and her iconic character, Bridget Jones are the grande dames of Chick Lit, and Mad About the Boy doesn't disappoint. In most ways, that is. As usual, I won't spoiler the plot or tell anything that you can't read for yourself online. Suffice to say, this book will make you laugh and cry at the same time. For us 'women of a certain age', it's easy to relate to the fact that Bridget's voice, and that of her partners in crime, doesn't change, that people don't change, just their life ...more
christa
Here is the least surprising sentence that I will write today: The new Bridget Jones book really, really sucks. But we all knew that, right? It all came together for series author Helen Fielding just once, admittedly more than it does for some people, but she’s never again been able to find that same balance of characters, plot, truths and one-liners as she had in our introduction to this once-lovable, relatable and bumbling character.

Pity.

“Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy” finds our foot-in-m
Kate
No. of times cried: 2.5 (the 0.5 was tears welling, not spilling)
No. of chocolate bars consumed: 2
No. of times laughed out loud: eleventy bazillion
No. of Twitter followers: 518
No. of times I thought “I love Bridget”: eleventy bazillion
No. of perfectly fitting endings for Bridget: 1
No. of scenes where I thought Bridget and I would be best mates IRL: eleventy bazillion (especially the nits bits)

4.5/5 Yes, shortest most useless review ever but to all the haters*, too bad, Fielding rules. The third
Melissa
Helen Fielding, what have you done?

Aside from the very controversial plot twist that has shaken the Darcy Nation to its foundation, there are two huge problems with this story: (1) It's really slow (2) Bridget Jones is still, well, the same Bridget Jones, and it doesn't fully work anymore.

Back in the '90s, Bridget Jones was my homegirl. Fun, carefree, totally neurotic, and extremely funny, she was so relatable. What living breathing member of Gen X didn't have their Jones moments back then? But
Deborah Markus
A lot of reviewers think this book doesn't work because the premise is unrealistic. Because there are plenty of women Bridget Jones' age who are single mothers due to divorce, but very few who are widows.

Yeah, you know what I've noticed about the other two Bridget Jones books? They're one hundred percent realistic. The stuff that happens to Bridget is stuff all women of a certain age can relate to.

Like, remember that time Bridget's mom got involved with that sexy con artist wanted by Interpol?
Lian Dolan
Flashes of the Bridget we love and the Helen Fielding we love, but not enough. Dang. I wanted to see what Bridget had made of herself and I was rooting for Helen Fielding to find some new obstacles for Bridget to tackle in her own endearing way. But a lot of this book felt recycled from other books- particularly I Don't Know How She Does It- about crazed moms, internet dating, and other middle- aged crises from weight gain ( still?) to how to manage trendy fashion. And the fact that so much of t ...more
Assia
Nov 03, 2013 Assia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Tatiana
(view spoiler) and Bridget is 51! and still clueless. I don't care to read about that
Bamba
I have always hated the idea of anyone rating a book before they have read it but in this case I had to make an exception!!!
After the revelations by author Helen Fielding this weekend, I won't be reading this or any other new HF book ever again.
I have been so excited about hearing what Bridget has been up too (even tho I did not believe it was necessary) and to hear that HF has destroyed the story of BJ's and shown such a lack of respect to fans is just unbelievable!!
Yes, I know its fiction and
Harriet Evans
OK, I'm giving this 4 stars, even though maybe it should be three stars, or even 2! It's kind of patchy and there are things in it that really annoyed me, but I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it. The ending is rushed and not enough care is taken in some parts, whereas other parts are WAY too repetitive (ooh would love to discuss this further with people who've finished it) BUT for one reason only it works and that is a big reason...

I LOVE BRIDGET JONES

She is still my favourite charact
Kate Sylvan
Bridget is back! But this time around I found myself, much to my surprise, wanting to staple things to her forehead. Whence such blasphemy? Well...

Mark Darcy is dead now, which I understand as an artistic decision--as Chekhov, or was it Ibsen, once said, "All happy families are [boring]." A novel about Mark and Bridget being happy in love and raising their children would have been colossally dull and treacly. But Darcy's untimely extinction means that Bridget is a wealthy widow with no need to w
Jo
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I’m more than a bit apprehensive about writing a synopsis for this book. In an attempt to avoid any spoilering, I’m going to leave it with this: Welcome back Bridget Jones! A little older, but not so much wiser – we now get to see how she can handle the complications of children and a new phase of her life.

Bridget and I started our relationship the same year that I married my husband. Let’s just say it’s hard work staying in love with
Lisa Novelli
Kate
She may be a little older and now with children in tow – but Bridget Jones is just as how I remember her. With a glass of wine in one hand and a bag of grated cheese in the other, Bridget navigates life as a single mother of Billy (aged 7) and Mabel (aged 5). With the well-meaning support of her friends, Bridget manages to conquer twitter, school pick up and maybe take a chance on love again.

I love Bridget. I’ve read the first two books and watched the movies dozens of times and she always mana
Helena Halme
Sunday 27th October.
Books finished: 1, Weight: not telling! Alcohol units: too many, Calories: not counted, Family lunches at new Italian restaurant in up-and-coming Finsbury Park: 1, Puddings: 1.5 (one own, half of the Englishman’s shared), Words written on novel:0.

Yes, it’s addictive, this diary writing thing, as Helen Fielding has found out, since she has now written no less than three books featuring the overweight (in her mind!), alcoholic (yes, that in her mind too), boyfriendless Bridget
Mr Wallaker *Spoiler* 4 78 Sep 24, 2014 07:13PM
Bridget Jones age 40 272 May 22, 2014 01:06PM
2005 Independent Columns 4 42 Dec 26, 2013 01:03PM
Jane Eyre nod? 2 60 Dec 17, 2013 12:53AM
  • Me and Mr Jones
  • Christmas at Rosie Hopkins’ Sweetshop (Rosie Hopkins' Sweet Shop, #2)
  • It's Raining Men
  • Christmas at Carrington's
  • The Beach Hut
  • The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me
  • Mammy Walsh's A-Z of the Walsh Family (Walsh Family, #6)
  • Here I Go Again
  • There's More to Life Than Cupcakes
  • The Bride Wore Size 12  (Heather Wells #5)
  • A Cottage by the Sea
  • By My Side
  • From Notting Hill with Four Weddings . . . Actually (Actually, #3)
  • Babies in Waiting
  • Nynnes Dagbog 3
  • I’ll Take New York
  • The Smart One
  • The Longest Holiday
Helen Fielding was born in Yorkshire. She worked for many years in London as a newspaper and TV journalist, travelling as wildly and as often as possibly to Africa, India and Central America. She is the author of four novels: Cause Celeb, Bridget Jones’ s Diary, Bridget Jones:The Edge of Reason and Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination, and co-wrote the screenplays for the movie of Bridget ...more
More about Helen Fielding...

Bridget Jones (3 books)
  • Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1)
  • The Edge of Reason (Bridget Jones, #2)
Bridget Jones's Diary (Bridget Jones, #1) The Edge of Reason (Bridget Jones, #2) Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination Bridget Jones's Diary and Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason Cause Celeb

“You see, things being good has nothing to do with how you feel outside, it is all to do with how you are inside.” 14 likes
“I made my excuses and left, thinking, really, after a certain age, people are just going to do what they're going to do and you're either going to accept them as they are or you're not.” 13 likes