Start by marking “The Last Day Of Summer” as Want to Read:
The Last Day Of Summer

The Last Day Of Summer

4.35  ·  Rating Details ·  1,018 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
Rett’s done some running away in his life, from family and from boyfriends, and he’s not above doing it again. His current boyfriend wants to take their relationship to the next level, which makes Rett hesitant and doubtful. Luckily, a job offer in a new town solves his problem for him, giving him the perfect excuse to run away yet again from the uncomfortable feeling of ...more
Published January 24th 2013 (first published January 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Day Of Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Day Of Summer

Touch & Geaux by Abigail RouxCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatToo Stupid to Live by Anne TeninoTell Me It's Real by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2013
19th out of 674 books — 1,691 voters
Tigers and Devils by Sean KennedyCaught Running by Madeleine UrbanThe Locker Room by Amy LaneStr8te Boys by Evangeline AndersonHeart in Hand by salifiable
Best Gay Athletes
12th out of 381 books — 656 voters

More lists with this book...

Arthur

Rett (Everett)'s father had treated him like shit since he was little, wanting him 'to be a man'. But, Rett didn't have any interest in things associated with 'being a man', like sports, car, etc. Instead he liked talking about boy's band with his female friends. So, after graduated from high school he ran away from home and never had any contact with his family. It became his modus operandi ever since: each time he had trouble, he ran away. In college, he went to became a physical the
Kaje Harper
Oct 23, 2013 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Rett is a young man who left home at 18, after a fight with his father over the fact that he is gay. He's managed, mainly via loans, to support himself through his education and become licensed as a physical therapist. Now he needs a job, but no one local is hiring. So when his current relationship falls apart, he's eager to avoid his old boyfriend and willing to look further afield for a position.

There is a mysterious job posting across the state, and when he is offered the job, Rett discovers
A
Jan 26, 2013 A rated it it was amazing
This book is a sequel (spin-off) for Falling Off the Face of the Earth and features Cory, who was kind of like a surrogate son to Jimmy and Brick. Cory is all grown-up now. He's playing major league baseball for the Mobile Joe's as a pitcher. But it's really Rett's story that is at the forefront here. Rett, in a moment of desperation to run away from the boyfriend that's pressuring him to move in, applies for a job as a physical therapist in Mobile. He has no idea that he's just accepted a ...more
Simon
Feb 07, 2013 Simon rated it it was amazing
It's official....I am an emotional wreck!
I've read all three novels by this writer, but not the short story.
It was only after reading about 50% through this novel that I realised we have a follow-on story from "Falling off the face of the Earth," and oh is this good.
I know absolutely nothing about Baseball apart from it seems similar to the game of Rounders here in the UK but I now want to know more.
This novel is exeptionally well written. The characters are well developed, the plot is highly e
Xing
Dec 23, 2013 Xing rated it really liked it
If you haven't already read J.F. Smith's Falling Off the Face of the Earth, I recommend you strongly do. The Last Day Of Summer (TLDOS) takes place in the future, featuring characters from its predecessor, including new characters as well. While it is NOT required to have read Falling Off the Face of the Earth, it would greatly enhance your reading experience. Plus, it's a great book so you should give it a shot anyways. :)

The posted blurb does a good enough job explaining the premise of this no
Trisha Harrington
I love JF Smith and his books are a classic example of why I read m/m. He can take a character and when I would normally hate them his writing makes me love that character. What more can I say about that? Not much, it was amazing to have the chance to read a book where I could see a character grow and become a better person in the end. So much of this book had me laughing or saying, aw.

Rett was the main focus of this story. I know most people would have had issues with him. Personally, my heart
Tina Marie
Mar 20, 2013 Tina Marie rated it it was amazing

I LOVED this book. I'm going to sort of include Latakiaand The Last Day Of Summer in this review. I am a huge fan of book covers with a sexy naked male or two. They are up front about what you can expect from the story. They are hot, they make you want them and by association, the book. JF Smith doesn't put sexy, scantilly clad men on his covers. You can look at one of his books and not know what you're getting. Some people might even call his covers boring. I will admit to having Latakia on my
Dreamer
Jun 04, 2016 Dreamer rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Well-written humourous m/m romance centred around baseball, erotica occurs off scene in this one. Rett Dougherty suffered from an abusive childhood at the hands of his homophobic father Newton from whom he ran away aged 18. Seven years later, Rett is hired as a physical therapist by the Mobile Joes baseball team. He is attracted to rookie pitcher Cory Pritchart (Bigfoot).
description
"You're so worried about what someone might do to you, you never think about what you're doing to them," said Val.
GymGuy
May 03, 2013 GymGuy rated it it was amazing
I have to say that I really enjoyed this book! I read this one and Latakia back to back. I think I'm glad I did, because it gave me some perspective as this formulaic writing style. This formula seems to include a "Mars" environment laced with a heavy dose of "Venus". The two main characters include the big, quiet type who falls in love with the "Everyman." There are plenty of quirky characters, some sympathetic, some not. Lots of touchy-feely dialog, and a good dose of tear-jerking scenes.

Romance
Jan 31, 2013 Romance rated it it was amazing
I have come to truly love this author. At first, I saw 477 pages and read the reviews which both made me reluctant to start this book. I am so glad that I did and will end up rereading it many times.

I usually need a bit of "steam" in my romance novels. For me, physical intimacy helps to create or deepen a bond between characters. With JF Smith's characters and writing style I just don't need it. The writing builds such a strong relationship that I don't miss it.

Rhett is such a real character.
Jilrene ♥

I really, really enjoyed this book. Cory and Rett are so real. I didn’t want to put my Kindle down, but I had to go to work. I was hooked before I even realized it. The story is told so well. We only get to know Rett up close and personal through the 3rd person POV. That was ok, though, because everyone else’s actions are clearly described. I loved the way so many of the characters had flaws. No one was perfect. Except maybe Rosemary. just kidding Seriously though, Rosemary is one tough
Cay
Jul 23, 2016 Cay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-best
5 stars

I really enjoyed JF Smith's previous book Falling Off the Face of the Earth and LOVED The Last Day Of Summer. It was so funny, romantic and just very... awww :) It was totally my kind of book.
I can't believe I almost didn't read this book. I thought it was going to be too "sports-y" for me. However, it was the opposite. I loved everything about this book. JF Smith is fantastic, he did something I didn't think was possible - made baseball sound romantic.

Back and forth. And back and forth.
I
wesley
Nov 08, 2014 wesley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I knew Cory would be a person larger than life while reading Falling Off the Face of the Earth, but I get to see it in action in The Last Day of Summer. This book is all about second chances. Life doesn't give you a manual to know what is right from wrong. God, that's so boring. So you get to make mistakes every now and then. Sometimes, they're so small that they can be fixed easily, other times they can be gigantic and the aftermath is not easily repairable. But the fact that you get a shot at ...more
Logan
Jan 26, 2013 Logan rated it it was amazing
Where to start...I am always pushing for people to read this author...always! He is fantastic at building storylines and MC's are always someone I feel like I either know or want to know...He keeps you truly invested in his work to the point you don't put the book down till you finish...I have loved every single work and this book is no different. It is a fantastic story that is definitely worth a read. All my friends on here...GET THIS BOOK....I will not give anything away because I hate ...more
Arch Bala
ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!!! I think if you read this first before Falling Off The Face Of The Earth – some people may be wondering what’s the dealio with Jimmy. I actually read this first not knowing that Jimmy has got a book of his own so I immediately downloaded said book and totally understood why he’s THAT protective of Cory. I loved the realistic scenario between Rett and Cory – with regards to being in the closet to protect his career. Just delightful! Full review to follow!
Jerry
This book--- grabbed me, had me ROFL, made me love the MC's, then let Rhett screw up again, trounced on my heart, whipped him back to sense, gave him a spine, righted wrongs and I am now a happy emotional mess. Wow, I love Mr. smith's story telling ability. This has almost everything I would want in a contemporary romance.
I assume a sequel is not in the offing, but boy would I pay beau coup bucks to have one.
Anke
Jan 27, 2013 Anke rated it liked it

Up til about 65% this was a 5 star read for me, but then the author wrote a development into the story, that brought me totally out of my reading flow and for me was not consistent with Rett's character during the story. It took quite some time for me to get back into the story; it happened gradually, the ending was nice enough, but overall the spell was broken.
Erika
Dec 31, 2015 Erika rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
The characters in this book shone and really made me laugh, smile and cry a bit. The reason I gave it a 3 is because it could have been excellent if the author had used the services of a good editor, or even a mediocre editor. I didn't love it, but I could've, and that's a shame.
Dumbledore11214
Feb 08, 2013 Dumbledore11214 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-romance
REVIEW WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED AT REVIEWS BY JESSEWAVE, I PURCHASED THE BOOK ON MY OWN THOUGH.

4.5 stars rounded to 5

I have waited for the next novel from this writer ever since I read (and reread and reviewed) Latakia. I am always delighted to find a self published book that I would enjoy and this author has consistently produced work that I have enjoyed very much so far. I have actually reviewed all his previous works here, but this story is kind of a sequel to Falling Off the Face of the Earth,
Sunne
Feb 23, 2013 Sunne rated it it was amazing
Awesome, review to follow. Now I have to make lunch for my family who waited paitently until I finished the book!!! The awesome book!!! I want back...I want back in the book...omg, I think I reread Falling of the Face of the Earth immediately after lunch...*sigh*

Dear Mr. Smith, thank you so much for a book that is not flashy, not overly sexed up, not even overly fairy tale but wonderful, awesome, heartbreaking, even realistic and ...did I mention awesome?

Soooo - I'm back, I had made lunch and I
Melissa
I... I don't even know where to begin to put my thoughts together about this book.

I just finished it so perhaps I should take some time away from it to organize my thoughts but then I would probably just end up making less sense... This story was god-damned amazing.

When I read Falling Off the Face of the Earth, I really connected with the characters and I really wasn't sure how I felt about Cory at first, but then he did a complete 180 and became someone very likable to me.

The Last Day of Summ
Buck Jones
Mar 23, 2013 Buck Jones rated it it was amazing
This is my first book by this author that I've read, and if his other books are of a similar nature, I am going to be a loyal fan.

The story is of a young man trying to find himself as a person, or rather, to become a better person. The kind of man that is capable of being worthy of the love of another. I know for me, my 20's were a turbulent decade of discovery, dreams, and disappointment. This is that kind of a journey, following the summer of change for a young man named Rett.

It takes place
ReadingAgent
Apr 11, 2013 ReadingAgent rated it it was ok
Ulysses Dietz
Jan 11, 2014 Ulysses Dietz rated it really liked it
The most important line in this book is in the very first part - in the prologue. Rett Dougherty, as a child, says to himself after another crushing emotional defeat at the hands of his parents: "But all he learned was that arguing was stupid. Getting people to see your point of view didn't work."

Thing is, we don't know how important that line is until the end.

What ultimately fascinated and surprised me about J. F. Smith's latest book, "Last Day of Summer," was what it didn't do. Although every
Nichole (Dirrty H)
May 05, 2013 Nichole (Dirrty H) rated it really liked it
Ultimately, I really enjoyed this book. It was an adorably sweet love story, wrapped up in a bigger story that was all about Rett's growth. He had a great character arc and I loved that. I found the writing somewhat clumsy at first, but it smoothed out pretty quickly and any flaws disappeared behind the great dialogue and fantastic secondary characters.

The fact that this was a story set in the world of Major League Baseball was a double edged sword for me because on the one hand, I love baseball
Scott-robert Shenkman
Apr 29, 2013 Scott-robert Shenkman rated it it was amazing
I read the author’s “Falling off the Face of the Earth” last year, and I loved it. I thought it was definitely one of the best books I read in 2012. So I was totally shock that, not only had he written a sequel, but it came out 3 months ago. So I grabbed it, but down the vampire story I was reading, and devoured this in 2 days.

Not only does JF Smith write novels, he writes literature. His books cross from entertainment into art. Every character is vivid. You like all of them, even when they’re m
Melissa
Feb 05, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Thank you for another wonderful story. You caught my attention with Latakia. I loved it. I've re-read it a few times now. When I saw that you had a new book coming out I was happy. So many times I will fall in love with a story an author writes and then I try that author again and my response will be luke warm. Not so with you. You blew me away even more. I think Last Day of Summer was better than Latakia, and for me that is saying alot.

The story synopsis was a little heavy, so I was worried I w
L'marie
Feb 22, 2013 L'marie rated it really liked it
I found myself really enjoying the baseball stuff. All the characters on team & the support staff were great...that part of the story is a solid 5 stars, and it reminded me of Tigers & Devils a little bit. Cory was super duper perfect but there was something very likable about him. Rett, on the other hand, tried my patience to the point where I stopped caring how things turned out for him. I was moved by the end of the story and I think it had more to do with the other characters so this ...more
Rick
Jan 31, 2013 Rick rated it it was amazing
JF Smith is my FAVORITE author in this genre!!! If you've not read any of his books, you're missing out!!!!

This is an AMAZING book!!! The characters and story are well developed - this isn't your typical gay love story - it is an AMAZING story!!!!
Tami (synchro from BL)
Feb 09, 2013 Tami (synchro from BL) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-m-m
Awesome!!!

What a great read - I loved the characters, the slow development, the romance which was so sweet and had such a great "young love" feeling to it. And the awesome banter and sense of humor!

This book made me laugh and cry and was very entertaining and also engaging. A great one!
  • The Unforgiving Minute
  • Tigerland (Tigers and Devils, #2)
  • Pull Me Under
  • Homo Action Love Story! A tall tale
  • Ravages
  • Fall Into the Sun (Alejo and Bobby, #1)
  • Out in the Field
  • Lost Won (Liaisons #3)
  • Into Deep Waters
  • Sidecar
  • Heart in Hand
  • Forever  (Spy vs. Spook, #3)
  • Social Skills
  • The Other Guy
  • After Ben (Seattle Stories, #1)
  • Offside (Offside, #1)
  • Who We Are (Bear, Otter, and the Kid, #2)
  • Frozen Hearts

“What did he want?” Rett said, “I was hoping you knew. I, uh... well, I kind of hung up on him before he could really say anything.” “I don’t know, Rett. He hasn’t mentioned you at all. Mom was the one that told me you came” 0 likes
“Everything Rett had learned about being a man was so wrong. So completely wrong. Sometimes, being a man was surrendering everything to another, giving them absolute power over you, putting your fate entirely in their hands. And then accepting whatever decision came of it.

The coward, the boy, would shy from that and run away from it. The boy would be selfish and want to always make the decision, to control it, to be in the lead. Rett now saw himself doing that at every critical point in his life. He could play back every time he had done that in the past, but now he could see it through different eyes, and it was shameful to him.

The man knew when to surrender, to yield.”
0 likes