Born in Chains (Men in Chains, #1)

Born in Chains (Men in Chains #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  35 reviews
In the epic battle of vampire against vampire, one warrior's fate is bound to a mortal woman who controls him, commands him, and craves him like no other…

Chained For Life

Two years ago, the rogue vampires invaded Lily Haven's home and kidnapped her son. Now, if she hopes to see her child again, she must do the unthinkable—bind herself, body and soul, to a vampire warrior. S...more
Mass Market Paperback, 310 pages
Published October 1st 2013 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

mer
3 stars

This book is the most wounded book I've ever read in paranormal romance. Never I've encountered reading hero and heroine who are both damaged souls. Like, seriously utterly damned tortured souls.

What I liked
Connection between Adrien and Lily. They are perfect together. Besides, I liked Adrien because he has soft spot although he's uber lethal. I liked Lily too because she's a strong-willed and very passionate woman.

I liked the new set of vampire-human world in this book. Although it isn'...more
Cindyg
I really enjoyed this story. I liked Ms. Roane's take on vampires.
Her characters where believable, likeable and I wanted to know them better.
I liked the fact that the world building was spot on, not overdone and boring.
I need fast paced, action packed stories and this definitely fill the bill for me.
I fell for Adrien, for his pain, his suffering and the hatred in his heart was easy to accept. As was his fierceness and his willingness to work with Lily.
Lily was smart and understanding of her pli...more
The Window Seat
When I first started this book, I had very high hopes. From the first chapter, I liked the hero, liked the heroine, liked the set up... then something happened - something I don't quite understand - and everything went screwy.

Adrien and his half-brothers are vampires who are strong members of their vampire community. They are also very strong vampires. Their abusive father kept them imprisoned but now a human is keeping them in chains. They are too much of a threat to allow them their freedom, s...more
Beth Henry
A fabulous new world, full of vampires, chains, lust, danger and love! Caris does it again!!!

In this first installment of the Men in Chains series, she introduces us to the world of the Ancestral Vampire. Immortal and powerful beyond imagination, Ancestrals live, secretly, in the many cave systems around the world. But their leadership has been corrupted by Daniel, a very old, powerful and sadistic vampire, and trafficking of human drugs and human sex slaves is on the rise.

Enter our hero Adrien,...more
Bridget

This is the first book in a new vampire series by Caris Roane. First books always mean introduction to the new world. You have to learn if the vampires are born or made, can they reproduce, do they have destined mates, all that jazz. There was not a ton of new material to learn to get current in Roane's world. I appreciate the simplicity.

Adrien was a gentleman, considering all he has been through lately. I was afraid he might try to devour Lily from lack of blood, but he restrained himself. He...more
T.
Really good story, a few surprising twists, although predictable for the most part. Nice character development and unusual story line. There were quite a few place where I'm thinking, "geez, why doesn't she just…?" I understand furthering the storyline and trying to build suspense, but some of these efforts fell short and appeared to make the female protagonist, Lily seem silly. Writing style was great, so I would read more from this author.
PepperP0t (ireadthatbook.com)
Vampire peacekeeping warriors and half-brothers, Adrien, Lucian and Marius were betrayed and chained in vampire prison by order of rogue ancestral vampire Daniel Briggs. Daniel has fought,

Read: May 2, 2014
Rating: 4.25 stars Actually
This entire review and others can be found at: http://www.ireadthatbook.com
Katie
I originally saw this series on NetGalley and was immediately interested. I haven’t read a vampire book like this and it was very exhilarating. Caris Roane has a fantastic writing style and her characters are complicated, causing you to read on and discover their secrets. I loved this book, though I wasn’t completely addicted; but in saying that I definitely had to find out what happened to Adrien and Lily.

Adrien and his brothers have been captured and tortured for the past year. They are bound...more
Dorine
Rated 3.5 Blue Ribbons courtesy of Romance Junkies. Posted at TBR Mountain Range amongst other books I've read this year.

A new series that explores the erotic relationship between a bonded human and vampire, while they hunt for a weapon that will purportedly wipe out the entire vampire race. This world isn't just split between the humans and the vampires, but the factions within each society as well. Can either side learn to live in peace?

In the beginning of BORN IN CHAINS, Adrien and his two ha...more
Christi Snow
My Review:
Flat out...I bought this book because of that cover. Luckily, the story is good too. Really creative. Adrien and his two half brothers have spent the last 8 months chained and tortured. He's offered a way out by binding himself to Lily so that they can search for a weapon. He does NOT like humans and thinks that she's doing this entirely out of greed.

Lily HATES vampires. They killed her entire family...or so she thought. Now she's found out that her son Josh is alive and she has the p...more
Phoenix
Surprisingly good. 3.5 Stars it would have earned 4 Stars if there was this one issue but I will get to that later.

Lily Haven lost her family (her husband, her daughter and her son) or at least she thought she did. 2 years after the raid in her village she finds out that one of them survived (won't say which one, don't want to spoil it) The condition of getting that person back is to bind herself to a vampire with neck chains.

Adrien, Lucian and Marcus have been held by the monster Daniel in the...more
Jeen
I loved this book, and the premise of the characters in both physical and emotional chains. It was a great first book, with a story of smoldering love and then true heat. It took me away, and the trip was wonderful !

Of course all that happened happened over a few days time, and although I often expect that in this genre, I think in this case the two of them being together over the passage of more time would have worked better.

All in all this was great fun. I'm looking forward to the next install...more
Firstpella
Fantastic. So enthralling I didn't even peak ahead to see what would happen in the chapters to come.
Awesome H and h. Liked them both on their own merits and together they were smoking hot.
The vampire bad guys were intriguing and while the surprise connection of one to the H wasn't really shocking, it still worked.
Lots of other characters that hinted at future tales for the series including what is clearly C and L for book 2 which I have already flagged to buy.
Writing style is a bit blunt - the...more
Valerie Spearman
As the story opens, we find Adrien an Ancestral vampire, one of the strongest of his kind to ever exist, bound and chained in a cave high in the Himalayan mountains. He is not alone. Two of his brothers are also prisoners and are held close to him. Along comes Lily, a human, on a mission to get her son back from a ruthless vampire named Daniel. She enlists Adrien to help her. Together they embark upon a journey fraught with danger, as they fight the desire and lust that pulls them closer. I foun...more
Kathyesf
A new vampire world to explore. Adrien and Lilly are both broken souls lost in their own tortured minds of things done to them by others and filled with hate and rage. Lilly binds Adrien to her and demands that he help her find a weapon, and so it begins. They begin to trust each other and as they trust begin to let go of the hate and rage and it is replaced with hope and love. First book in the series with a lot of open questions about this world which I am sure will begin to be answered in the...more
Tamara Rebeka
Ok, so I haven't finished it yet... I'm still at the beginning, buuuut.... how in gods word do you have fresh fruit, cheese and bread at your place when you have been "gone" for a year? What are they, magical food?
Alexisa
This series has great potential. it did become a bit tiresome when it continuously repeated earlier information. overall I enjoyed the book and am looking forward to the next book.
Micheala
Dnf @ 25%

The writing is good,the story seemed like it was really good. I just couldn't get into it
Rebecca Whaley
I thought this was a pretty good book. It was slow at times and some of the phrasing that was used made me do a little head scratching. altogether a good start to a new series.
Avey Shannon
Rate 4.5 stars - A fantastic start to a new series, the characters of Lily and Adrien and their love story was developed beautifully. The showcasing of their increasing individual strengths as they made their decisions for their future was a wonderful read and gave the reader a great insight to the developing storyline. This will become a very intriguing series as each Brother as well as some of the other interesting character’s stories are written. Definitely looking forward to the future episo...more
Lori Brandenburg
Loved it and cant wait for the next book in the series.
Stacy McKitrick
I'm not fond of books where the couples start out despising one another, but hey, that's the staple of many a romance, is it not? Except, sex usually occurs AFTER they start LIKING one another. Sex here was a by-product of something else (they're vampires, I'll let you guess) and I just couldn't get into that (I like it to mean something). Luckily, they finally got their sh*t together and the book took off for me. I just wish it hadn't taken so long to get there.
Mistress of the Dark Path
I really liked the idea behind this story line. The beginning had me hooked and the sexual chemistry between the H/h was off the charts. Then somewhere close to the half-way point it lost appeal to me. The more I got to know the characters the more I lost interest in them. I can't really explain my problem because the writing is good. Maybe there was just too much angst without enough positive elements to offset the bad, not sure. Others may have better luck.
Angarad
Original and sexy vammire story i liked how this story developped, how both Adrian and Lily were forced into the situation but came out so much stronger together.
My only problem maybe is that everything went a bit too fast. By the end of the book, we are just 3 days later than at the beginning and with so much happening... It is hard to feel like it is somehow possible.
Lizzie
I have to admit I'm kind of tired of the "vampire" genre, but honestly the cover caught eye too much to let this one slide by. Then the story was so hot, I couldn't put it down. Oy! I'm glad they love me at my fav Subway, cause I would have thrown me out. Between the outbursts of laughter and the "Oh My Hotness" I was a hot noisy mess. #AwesomeRead
Michelle Relta
Love it it was really good I can't wait to see what you could Lucian and Carie !!!!!
Charlotte
Just kinda rambled and repeated herself a lot.. I couldn't finish
Camille
This is a little bit too much into the fantasy realm for me but I still liked it. I don't love the way her characters speak in this one. Also, the thing with the binding chains makes me wonder ... HOW DO THEY POOP?!
Priscilla
At first I found the story to be a little strange. As the story progressed though I found it to be quite an enjoyable read and extremely interesting. Much what I expected from Ms. Roane.
  • Jordyn and the Caverns of Gloom (A Daemon Hunter, #2)
  • Celestial Beginnings (Nephilim, #1)
  • Close Remembrance (The Krinar Chronicles, #3)
  • Ash to Steele
  • Demon Evolution (The Evolution Trilogy, #2)
  • The Last Keeper's Daughter (Book 1 in The Last Keeper's Daughter Trilogy)
  • Unleash (Vampire Erotic Theatre Romance, #6)
  • Destiny (Brightest Kind of Darkness, #3)
  • Taken by Chance (Club Volare, #5)
  • Darkness Rises (Immortal Guardians, #4)
  • Drawn to the Vampire (Blood and Absinthe, #4)
  • Blood Knot (Blood Stone, #1)
  • Dark Wings (The Never Dark, #1)
  • Angelbound (Angelbound, #1)
  • The Outcast Prince (Court of Annwyn, #1)
  • Midnight's Temptation (Dark Warriors, #7)
  • Twilight Hunter (Execution Underground, #1)
  • Forever Freed
I confess I've had a love affaire with vampires for several years now, especially warrior vampires, the kind found in the books of Sherrilyn Kenyon, Lara Adrian and JR Ward. Though I've been published in Regency Romance under the pseudonym Valerie King--and yes one of my Regency Novellas features a vampire--one day I woke up knowing I had to create my own contemporary world of the warrior vampire....more
More about Caris Roane...
Ascension (Guardians of Ascension, #1) Burning Skies (Guardians of Ascension, #2) Wings of Fire (Guardians of Ascension, #3) Born of Ashes (Guardians of Ascension, #4) Obsidian Flame (Guardians of Ascension, #5)